The Force Awakens Star Wars VII Director? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as many have noted Saftey Not Guaranteed Director Colin Trevorrow has been rumored to be meeting with Disney to take on Star Wars.

This of course seems like a pretty random choice.

However, of all the the "rumored" possible directors, Trevorrow is the only one who has consistently replied with "No Comment" whenever questioned. Pretty much all of the other directors have either outright said that they aren't doing it, or even that they don't want to.

No people have dug up an interview with Trevorrow from back in June in which he talks about what would likley be his next project but he never reveals what it is.

He said
“I can’t speak with any specificity as to what the next thing will be. There are amazing opportunities that have arisen as a result of this. One of them, I will say, will probably create a good deal of ire against me on the Internet when people find out what it is. So, I just want to say in advance that I promise you, for all those who love the mythology that I will be tackling, trust that I love it as much as you do. And I will respect it, and hopefully make it not suck.”

Its of course possible that this all has to do with something else but I think the theory of Trevorrow directing at this point has the most going for it.

More can be found on this at http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/rumors/colin-trevorrow-on-directing-star-wars-ccamp.php

Trevorrow is young and hungry. Someone who will follow Kennedy's orders. Makes a lot of sense.

Have a feeling they've already found their guy and its a matter of making the announcement.

Kevin Smith is probably the biggest SW fan director, and whil I personally love his movies, would not want him on Episode VII

Let me show you why Kevin Smith should stay very very far away from star wars.

"With no access to the actual Star Wars films until the VCR was made affordable to the average consumer, we'd create our own Star Wars adventures. The best story (and the only one outside of the movie canon that we'd repeatedly play) wasn't about Luke and Leia: It was about inexplicable fan-fave Boba Fett -- the intergalactic bounty hunter who brings a carbonite-frozen Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt. The plot of our backyard adventure: Boba Fett gets trapped by robotic gunslinger IG-88 in a Star Wars universe time loop, sending him through all the movies as well as moments only referenced in the flicks. In some eras, he's a hero -- even getting to kiss Princess Leia instead of Luke (this was before Return of the Jedi made 'em relatives). Other times when the chrono-belt pulled him into another era, Fett's the villain he's always known as in the flicks. The time-travel plot allowed us to touch on the well-told stories of the movies we so adored, but it also gave us a chance to mash 'em up with the funkier flights-of-fancy Pete and I would manufacture. It was like an episode of Quantum Leap before that show ever existed, and it was our favorite Star Wars adventure."

"If Disney wants to make another cool billion dollars like it did with The Avengers last summer, all it needs to do is make a Boba Fett time-travel flick. It would center on a character everyone digs and allow for a greatest hits of Star Wars while playing with an already-established timeline, a la Back to the Future. You could use every living (and dead) actor from the previous Star Wars films, no matter what their age -- which means Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford can come and play as well. It'd be a dream come true for any Star Wars fan -- particularly those of us who opted out of the boring-ass real world every summer for galaxies far, far away."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-vii-kevin-smith-387591

Brad Bird already said no. He ain't doing Star Wars.

It's not so bad guys. Brad Bird is better off anyway doing his own stories creating his own visions.

I honestly would not mind Verbinski at all. Though Verbimski should have kept a tighter eye on the POTC sequels scripts, he still gave them interesting direction and flair. Give him the right script and I think he would fit well.

I'd like to see what he can do without Depp's Sparrow overpowering everything. I just hope it's not this Trevorrow guy.

Trevorrow is young and hungry. Someone who will follow Kennedy's orders. Makes a lot of sense.

Have a feeling they've already found their guy and its a matter of making the announcement.

Following Kennedy's orders doesn't sound like a positive, she hasn't made a Star Wars movie to my knowledge, it also suggests puppet director and I don't think Spidey flew out the blocks or Batman got rebuilt by hiring a director who simply does what they are told. If they want that type of director then they might as well get Joe Johnston or Martin Campbell, they are studio hands who'll do as they are told but at least have actual experience.

disney is all about puppet directors hell even alot of marvel films feel very puppet with it's director

Whedon, Brannagh and Shane Black aren't puppet directors and I think only contracts turned Favs into a puppet on IM2.

I think it's hard to know how much of a "puppet' a director is, even though we on the internet like to think we know all the "going on's" in politics in Hollywood, we always don't know the case. They have not even picked anyone and everyone is freaking out? Come on. They picked a hell of a writer, I don't think they are going to try to set it up with a bad director. I think some are just starting to over-react on it.

Kennedy is not Avi, or some others that run the show, she actually does have great talent. One way or the other, I'm sure we will get a great Star Wars film.

EDIT:

Off topic I still can't see Hunter's avvy, I wonder if it's Chrome or something? lol

people are aiming to high here

honestly what was fan opinion when peter jackson was hired for lord of the rings when his biggest film was The Frighteners before that?

disney is all about puppet directors hell even alot of marvel films feel very puppet with it's director

Let me be the third person here to disagree with you. ;)

Despite the failure of John Carter, Andrew Stanton had a lot of pull in the direction and writing of the film.

people are aiming to high here

honestly what was fan opinion when peter jackson was hired for lord of the rings when his biggest film was The Frighteners before that?

How can you aim too high with the biggest franchise in historyt? :huh:

^ unrealistic expectations you are not gonna get del toro,nolan,fincher,etc. they will never do it

like i said look at jackson before lotr or even Marquand before return of the jedi not choices people here would of suggested

this safety not guaranteed director may be that guy

Last edited:
Irvin never had the experience for a big Sci-Fi at the Star Wars level when he got called in either. Many I'm sure if the movie was released today would call him a puppet for George. The thing is just because we don't know if they are capable does not mean they are not. Irvin made the best Star Wars of them all, and really had little experience/pull. Yes he was friends with George back at USC, (professor or whatever) but still, he did not have the power/experience for such a big film. But he pulled it off. I guess I will just have the feeling that Kennedy will pick the right person for the job. She has a pretty good track record.

^ unrealistic expectations you are not gonna get del toro,nolan,fincher,etc. they will never do it

like i said look at jackson before lotr or even Marquand before return of the jedi not choices people here would of suggested

this safety not guaranteed director may be that guy

So Batman can get Nolan and Spider-Man gets Raimi but it's too much for Star Wars to get Blomkamp or Duncan Jones? The fan choices are those guys, Bird and then Verbinski, Vaughn and the like, hardly unrealistic targets.

Irvin never had the experience for a big Sci-Fi at the Star Wars level when he got called in either. Many I'm sure if the movie was released today would call him a puppet for George. The thing is just because we don't know if they are capable does not mean they are not. Irvin made the best Star Wars of them all, and really had little experience/pull. Yes he was friends with George back at USC, (professor or whatever) but still, he did not have the power/experience for such a big film. But he pulled it off. I guess I will just have the feeling that Kennedy will pick the right person for the job. She has a pretty good track record.

Here's the thing though for me, there is a crop of young directors who have already cut their teeth on sci fi and done well, so why go with a guy who hasn't done anything? he has one movie under his belt and it was neither financially or critically a big deal and it wasn't like a Jackson or Del Toro thing where their work with effects got them pitches on film, it's a standard quirky indie film.

Here's the thing though for me, there is a crop of young directors who have already cut their teeth on sci fi and done well, so why go with a guy who hasn't done anything? he has one movie under his belt and it was neither financially or critically a big deal and it wasn't like a Jackson or Del Toro thing where their work with effects got them pitches on film, it's a standard quirky indie film.

I don't know why, but I guess I'll trust them to pick the right person they feel will deliver. The writer to me has shown they have competence with this.

I don't know why, but I guess I'll trust them to pick the right person they feel will deliver. The writer to me has shown they have competence with this.

I'm not as sold personally, getting one part right doesn't guarantee getting the other part right. I just looked at Kennedy's resume and there isn't really young director that she has produced for which is more worrying if it's true about the person being someone she has worked with before, unless Fincher or Spielberg are going to be surprise choices.

I think there is absolutely 0% chance of Spielberg doing it, to be honest. And I don't know if Fincher would really want to either?

I think Trevorrow might direct the TV show, not the movie, or maybe Lucas promised him a later film. He tweeted that he would be in line with Brad Bird to see the movie in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"