State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Yeah, about Willie. Yes, she is insufferable for most of the film, and that's on purpose. She reminds me of Jenna from '30 Rock,' just this caricature of a spoiled celebrity getting swept up on this crazy adventure, and she's aggressively useless in nearly every scene. Kind of a drag to sit through. But I noticed something on the rewatch: there's a point in the film where she stops acting like that, and starts acting like a person. It's the scene where Indy's been mind-controlled by the bad guys. And they've got Willie strapped to the human-sacrifice cage, and she's just...crying, pleading with Indy to snap out of it, the way a regular person would be in that situation. For the rest of the movie, she stops complaining about broken nails and bad food, and gets to work on fighting her way out of there at all costs. It's actually kinda awesome.

Temple of Doom is the Bay-formers of the 1980s.
For the record, I was more thinking of the problematic depictions of foreign cultures as well of the annoying characters and non-stop action spectacle.

Personally, would put TTOD second behind ROTL, as much as I love Last Crusade, it is a Raiders run-along with added Sean Connery, Doom aims to be something different, offer something different and the 'darker edge' suits being alongside Raiders (melting faces, ghost demons and possession forces alike), Crusade is a great film but prefer Doom, screaming Willie and all.

Maybe not unpopular but something that doesn't get enough recognition: the soundtrack from both The Naked Gun and Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. Dumb comedies are not supposed to have such great OST.
Ira Newborn and Robert Folk. Check them out.

I hate Short Round moreso than Willie.

This has nothing to do with movies, but I’m saying it. I don’t want to dip French fries in a milkshake. Keep them separate.

Marion>>>>>>>>>>>Willie
giphy.gif

Marion>Blanchett>Elsa>Willie

I lowkey think the Indiana Jones trilogy is greater than the Star Wars flicks. I'd prefer a good Uncharted series to a new IJ franchise, though I'd really think an animated show could work, provided they have a live action stunt-show at the end :)

Hard Days Night is just the Beatles making prats of themselves....

Edward Scissorhands makes its point about as subtly as a train running over a cow.

Avatar is just Dances with Wolves in space, they should have given Kevin Costner a credit !

Hard Days Night is just the Beatles making prats of themselves....

Edward Scissorhands makes its point about as subtly as a train running over a cow.

Avatar is just Dances with Wolves in space, they should have given Kevin Costner a credit !
I'd say also Help and whatever other movies they made are pretty much so as well. And I'm a fan of their music. I prefer Yellow Submarine, maybe because it's animated and the cool colorful and psychedelic visuals go very well with the songs, but it's also easier to swallow the story; A thin but entertaining variant of good vs evil.

I just watched it again for the first time in a long time, but one film that was a flop on release and disliked by critics that I really like is Sam Raimi's The Quick and the Dead. Most of the time when I like unpopular films, I can usually see the arguments against it and just prioritize the things it does well above its faults, but this was one of those films where I really don't understand why it was so hated. Maybe it would be more popular if it came out today. I don't know. Anyways, I'm a sucker for tournament arcs, of which this is one of the best ones done in a feature film, full of fun, memorable characters (even if in small roles) and nice cinematography. Gene Hackman plays a great slimy villain and there is a lot of nice cinematography when it comes to the duels.

I'm watching the original Mad Max movie and I'm not a fan, I don't see myself caring for either plot nor characters in this story. I do find it interesting that there is a whole story before the nuclear chaos wasteland.

I don't think Luke, or any character in The Last Jedi was mistreated.

No superhero movie NEEDS to be R-Rated to be good.

I just watched it again for the first time in a long time, but one film that was a flop on release and disliked by critics that I really like is Sam Raimi's The Quick and the Dead. Most of the time when I like unpopular films, I can usually see the arguments against it and just prioritize the things it does well above its faults, but this was one of those films where I really don't understand why it was so hated. Maybe it would be more popular if it came out today. I don't know. Anyways, I'm a sucker for tournament arcs, of which this is one of the best ones done in a feature film, full of fun, memorable characters (even if in small roles) and nice cinematography. Gene Hackman plays a great slimy villain and there is a lot of nice cinematography when it comes to the duels.
The reason is similar to the latest Tomb Raider film, I guess. Well-crafted with good performances (in case of QaD, it's loaded with mega-actors), but ultimately derivative and cliche. And Stone's character is overshadowed by nearly everyone in the film.

The reason is similar to the latest Tomb Raider film, I guess. Well-crafted with good performances (in case of QaD, it's loaded with mega-actors), but ultimately derivative and cliche. And Stone's character is overshadowed by nearly everyone in the film.

Not liking Sharon Stone's performance is the one argument that at least makes sense to me. If you don't like the lead, clearly that's an issue for the film. I think they are being a bit harsh when they say she's awful though. In particular, I really liked the dinner table scene with her and Hackman. As for being cliche, that's kind of the point. It is a direct homage to the Spaghetti Westerns of the 60s. From the performances, to the costumes, to the camera work, to the music, that's all very deliberate. If that's the case it is almost like it was punished for not being a deconstruction of the genre like Unforgiven (still in recent memory).

Last edited:

I too love this movie. I actually like the vast majority of Raimi's filmography outside the obvious Evil Dead and Spider-Man films, but I think this might be his most underrated film. I think it fires on all cylinders and is just awesome.

All three of Mad Max movies starring Mel Gibson are boring to me. Beyond Thunderdome might be the easiest to watch of the three cause it sort of reminds me of Hook, but it still bored me.

All three of Mad Max movies starring Mel Gibson are boring to me. Beyond Thunderdome might be the easiest to watch of the three cause it sort of reminds me of Hook, but it still bored me.

I can understand the first one, but even Road Warrior? Wow.

I can understand the first one, but even Road Warrior? Wow.
I played all three of them today for the very first time, and found the shift to the wasteland to be completely rushed and out of nowhere. The rest of the movie did not instill any interest in the characters for me, all I thought of were set pieces used as plot devices without much character put into them.

I'm starting to think that it might be Tom Holkenberg's music that really sold me on Fury Road that one time I saw it, the music of Road Warrior sound unpleasant to me.

I dislike only Thunderdome. I tried to watch it like 5 times and I never managed to get to the end. MM, RW and Fury Road - excellent. RW is a classic of post-apocalypse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"