Suit, Muscle.. is Brandon the problem?

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by Saph, Sep 9, 2005.

1. lujho Registered

The manip of Reeve is much lighter than the unaltered Routh pic. And that's going to make a difference in apparent size. Someone in a black leotard is going to look skinnyer than the same guy in a white one, to take it to extremes.

Also, the deeper shadows of the unaltered pic increases the apaprent thin-ness of the person, and the fact that one's isolated on a white background probably has an effect too.

Show me that same pic of Routh, with the same lightness of the Reeve manip and on a white background and Routh will look the same size of the Reeve manip.

That said, the Reeve manip doesn't look half bad.

Look... the real issue is that the suit ain't perfect and neither is Routh. A better suit would make Routh look better, and a better actor would make the suit look better.

It's a multiplying effect... if Brandon is say, 80% perfect as Superman and the suit is say, 80% perfect, then overall (80% * 80%) that's only 64% percent.

I still support Routh, but the suit could be more favourable on him even though it's not awful. And conversely, If Routh were bigger and looked more like Supes facially, then yeah, the suit wouldn't seem so bad.

2. Saph Registered

With evidence to back it up. Why does Reeve make everything better when his head is pasted on top of Routh's? Because he has more presence. He evokes power, confidence.

Routh, in the pictures so far, looks like some guy in a Superman costume.

And about me not letting Reeve go: There is no-one who wants to ignore the Donner films more than I. And to see a new Superman.

3. Bad Superman World's Grimmest Hero

I think Routh's physique is impressive and I've got no problems with that nor his casting. It's the suit what has caused such heated wars between fans.

After watching the "forbidden" pics, the suit's design looks acceptable. As a fan I was underwhelmed. The only problem I might have at this point are the colors. Someone did a great manip with brighter colors which made the suit look better.

As far as performance goes, well, it's way too early to tell. Routh has really big boots to fill. Since I haven't been able to watch the blogs, I really can't say if there's an indication on how good he seems to be playing the roles.

I think the first trailer will be vital to catch the audience's attention.

4. Saph Registered

The fact is, the picture that I am judging was released after production. Your pictures of Reeve are just after he was cast.

5. You see only Reeve as superman..that is the problem...

we have yet to see rouths presance on screen..that is why reeve looks great..because he WAS superman..Routh is NOW superman.

6. MatchesMalone Registered

Incorrect. Most of those pics dealing with Reeve are during production, especially the in-costume pics.

7. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

The bottom line is we have to wait to see how Brandon looks ON FILM. That way the comparison is fair...........we've seen Reeve and associate him as being Superman for 27 years.

Damn, give Brandon a chance here people, he's only filling the biggest shoes in COMIC BOOK FILM HISTORY...................

8. dark_b Registered

lets say that reeve wouldnt be superman. and routh would play superman in the 70s . you would still say that reeve is better?

9. It just doesn't work jeff we have tried and are failing.

10. Saph Registered

[​IMG]
    Really?

11. I would bet no.

12. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

Well, you know I'll fight 'til the end............ :up:

13. Dr. Fate Registered

I'm surprised at how many folk think Brandon Routh looks too thin and too small... I showed the original pic of him in the suit to my friends at Chefelf's night life and they all said he looked like he could leg press a bus.

And Christopher Reeve himself was rather lean when compared to his comic book counterpart.

14. Saph Registered

Yes. Judging by these pictures, Reeve has the essence of Superman.

15. I'm by your side dude..just like the old days on the Bat boards!!

Dead or alive you fanboys are coming with me..

:D

16. MatchesMalone Registered

Uh...yeah...look at the boots, the shadows, the highlights. This pic has been manipped to death. Another straw house is falling...

[​IMG]

17. Showtime Your Friend In Time

This is because we have seen Reeve as Superman in the movies. Running, Flying, Talking, Saving, Fighting. We've seen some photos of Routh and a couple quick samples of footage.

18. Venom71 Registered

Kinda feels like you are talking to a brick wall huh?

19. Saph Registered

I'm not taking the movies into account. To me, Reeve looks better as Superman with the SAME suit, SAME physique as Routh.

I did. And Reeve has proved that he can do better with the same thing Routh has done, in my eyes.

20. Saph Registered

Not. Taking. Movies. Into. Account. Judging. Soley. On. Pictures.

I'm not stupid.

21. yeah but not a problem...

[​IMG]

22. Saph Registered

You have no right to say that, considering what you said in my sig.

23. Venom71 Registered

because we have seen him and has been Superman to us for so many years...if it was in reverse and Routh was in S:TM...and Reeve was in SR....we would be seeing Routh as Supes and not Reeve.

24. MatchesMalone Registered

Saph, there is nothing you can say to prove you can objectively compare the two. It is impossible to do so, just through the mechanics of memory. You cannot compare Reeve to Routh without taking into account the experience of viewing Reeve in the films and your memories of his performance. I suppose you will deny this, and say you can objectively compare them. It is a silly thing to say, but I have no doubt you will.

25. Showtime Your Friend In Time

What does it have to do with being stupid? You can't help but take movies into account because I am assuming you have seen them right? You can't just erase them from your mind. That's why you are jaded with Reeve is a better Superman. Like most of us are.