• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies - Part 1

I'm thinking that the domestic fatigue will be proven a thing of the past if the movie is as good as it seems, and I'm thinking $350-$400m for this. Hopefully bigger numbers than Iron Man 3.

I think this year, unlike 2012, Spidey is the main attraction, so I'd argue that there is no such thing as domestic fatigue when a film is truly amazing.

I definitely see that possibility in TASM2 to be the best of the Spidey franchise, but I wouldn't call it the TDK of it just because it's such a different type of movie and what made TDK a phenomena really has no part in TASM2 at all. What makes me hesitant to say this movie will really set the BO on fire (you know, outside of what Spidey usually does lol) is the domestic fatigue for the character. A part of me thinks no matter how good the film is there is a ceiling for the domestic gross at around $300 million just because it's another Spider-Man movie.

It's just a side effect of following this stuff on places like /co/ and reddit, and even CBM. You can't avoid any spoilers that come up, it's just something I live with now. Can't resist talking about the stuff on those sites because it's fun (other than CBM, you get spoiled there just by looking at comments in random articles) but it backfires a lot. I could probably piece together the entire TASM2 film, put a bet on it with you, and end up being right at this point. I mentally stop myself from doing it just to try and maintain some semblance of freshness when I go see it in May. :/

You and anyone who saw too much footage from either Cap and Spidey could pierce the films together, that's correct and I understand, but that isn't Marvel's or Sony's fault, is it? You are the one going out of your way to watch everything related to these films, not the other way around.

You and anyone who saw too much footage from either Cap and Spidey could pierce the films together, that's correct and I understand, but that isn't Marvel's or Sony's fault, is it? You are the one going out of your way to watch everything related to these films, not the other way around.
I'm not talking about footage. tbh Sony hasn't revealed that much of the plot in the trailers despite all the complaints. There's been a lot of stuff leaked about the story online that's hard to avoid when you frequent the sites I do. Even if I tried to actively avoid which I generally try to a little, I'll end up reading a post inadvertently that I thought would have nothing to do with the movie and end up getting spoiled.

Also, not sure if you got it or not but from the way you're phrasing the post I assume you didn't, but I've literally seen Cap 2.

Even if *fingers crossed* it gets good reviews?

Nah. I don't like MCU movies. Cap 2 is actually the only film from Marvel Studios I am excited about.
I'll probably watch it when it will be released on DVD.

I'm not talking about footage. tbh Sony hasn't revealed that much of the plot in the trailers despite all the complaints. There's been a lot of stuff leaked about the story online that's hard to avoid when you frequent the sites I do. Even if I tried to actively avoid which I generally try to a little, I'll end up reading a post inadvertently that I thought would have nothing to do with the movie and end up getting spoiled.

Also, not sure if you got it or not but from the way you're phrasing the post I assume you didn't, but I've literally seen Cap 2.

It's not hard to avoid if you do an conscious effort to avoid the spoilers. There is just as much leaked info about the story of either one of the movies, both stories are adaptations of two famous story lines, so while I feel bad for you, it seems to me that you were more interested to see Cap all along and didn't do much of an effort to avoid spoilers like you did with Cap, or you're simply partial to Cap and/or the Marvel Studios films, and while there is nothing wrong with that - I'm a huge Marvel Studios fanboy myself - I don't see how Cap could outshine what it looks like the best movie of Marvel's most popular character.

I feel that both Marvel and Sony are doing a very solid job marketing these films, and it'll all pay off big time pretty soon.

I think it feels safe to say that TASM2 and XDOFP are the two comic book movies that will do the best this year. Captain America is cool and all, but Spider-Man and X-Men are just more powerful brand names, and people recognize them. Guardians of Galaxy will do the worst, because nobody knows who they are. It might very well be a really good movie though, with James Gunn and Chris Pratt, it has the potential to be really cool.

Box office wise, I would say: 1. TASM2 2. XDOFP 3. Cap America 4. Guardians

Quality-wise, I still think TASM2 and XDOFP will be the best movies.

Finally going to see Cap2 tomorrow with some friends (had to send my gf a pic of Chris Evans not wearing a shirt to convince her to join lol)

I found the first one a little bland and it got by only because it's part of the MCU I love so well. Somehow, i've also managed to avoid all possible spoilers. Bring it on!

I really liked the first one, I know I'm in the minority but I just loved the retro feel of it. I'd have much preferred a second WWII movie.

I'm not fussed about Cap 2 as I don't enjoy Widow or SHIELD and they have a huge part in it :(

I think it feels safe to say that TASM2 and XDOFP are the two comic book movies that will do the best this year. Captain America is cool and all, but Spider-Man and X-Men are just more powerful brand names, and people recognize them. Guardians of Galaxy will do the worst, because nobody knows who they are. It might very well be a really good movie though, with James Gunn and Chris Pratt, it has the potential to be really cool.

Box office wise, I would say: 1. TASM2 2. XDOFP 3. Cap America 4. Guardians

Quality-wise, I still think TASM2 and XDOFP will be the best movies.

I'd say that's a reasonable estimation.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Cap outright won the box office for the four major cbms. The buzz, advertisement and reviews have been so strong that I would like to think that it would best Thor 2 at the bo and make about 700 million ww despite the inevitable dim in foreign revenue it will get.

Spider-man is obviously the favorite and I expect him to win the bo battle, but I don't think it'll make that much more than the first one as people expect.

X-men bo predictions are tricky. You'd think a movie as loaded with talent and propaganda as XMDOFP has that it would be a shoe in to win barring mixed reviews, but for some reason, X-men never has done a stellar job at the bo.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cap outright won the box office for the four major cbms. The buzz, advertisement and reviews have been so strong that I would like to think that it would best Thor 2 at the bo and make about 700 million ww despite the inevitable dim in foreign revenue it will get.

Spider-man is obviously the favorite and I expect him to win the bo battle, but I don't think it'll make that much more than the first one as people expect.

X-men bo predictions are tricky. You'd think a movie as loaded with talent and propaganda as XMDOFP has that it would be a shoe in to win barring mixed reviews, but for some reason, X-men never has done a stellar job at the bo.
You're forgetting also that there's positive buzz around tasm2 and those who got to the 15 mins or 33 mins of the film

You're forgetting also that there's positive buzz around tasm2 and those who got to the 15 mins or 33 mins of the film

Yes it has. I was only stating that I wouldn't be surprised if Cap grossed more. Any cb film making more than Spidey would be a huge upset/surprise, but I see scenarios where it could happen.

I've only started following this film's production a few ago. Has there been an estimated opening weekend bo yet?

It's not hard to avoid if you do an conscious effort to avoid the spoilers. There is just as much leaked info about the story of either one of the movies, both stories are adaptations of two famous story lines, so while I feel bad for you, it seems to me that you were more interested to see Cap all along and didn't do much of an effort to avoid spoilers like you did with Cap, or you're simply partial to Cap and/or the Marvel Studios films, and while there is nothing wrong with that - I'm a huge Marvel Studios fanboy myself - I don't see how Cap could outshine what it looks like the best movie of Marvel's most popular character.

I feel that both Marvel and Sony are doing a very solid job marketing these films, and it'll all pay off big time pretty soon.
I was spoiled about Cap before going in as well, I knew about nearly all of the biggest reveals before going into the movie. It's just impossible to avoid the stuff unless you swear off reading everything related to the movie on the sites I frequent, and I've just given that up because I want to talk about it too much. Now I just like seeing the reactions of people who don't know about anything going in.

And for the record, I probably tried harder to avoid TASM2 spoilers than Cap spoilers because Cap was hardly my favorite character and I didn't think particularly much of the movie before finding out about some of the stuff that would be happening in it. It was just impossible to avoid spoilers for TASM2 when literally people were talking about spoilers from the movie in threads and topics completely unrelated to it (not talking about this site). I was way more laissez faire about potential Cap spoilers, although I didn't expect to be spoiled on the main crux of the film when I read a certain post last year, but it's not like I was avoiding it.

Spidey is my favorite character, and at the start of last year I was looking forward to his movie more. But, as I learned more and more about both movies and started to see the finishing products, and now having seen Cap 2, there's just very little chance in my mind TASM2 will beat it out as a film. Very little chance. It's not about which character is more popular or which one I like the best, because that would be Spider-Man. I judge it on the pure merits of a film and as a film Cap 2 is about as flawless a film as the CBM genre has seen and is right up there with TDK and imo is better than Avengers. TASM2 may be Spidey's best movie, but Cap 2 is Marvel's best film to date period.

I've only started following this film's production a few ago. Has there been an estimated opening weekend bo yet?
Around $115-125m.

Last edited:
One of the best things about not being a big Captain America fan is that I didn't care about any of the news or trailers so none of it has been spoiled for me. I've seen most spider-man stuff released but I've forgot a lot of it. and I'll try not to follow GotG news.

So I just saw the new DOFP trailer. Looks cool, but I'm not that excited for it. Is it just me or are the sentinels very reminiscent of the Destroyer from Thor?

The funniest criticism of the Sentinels from DoFP has been that they look like Dysons :woot:

So I just saw the new DOFP trailer. Looks cool, but I'm not that excited for it. Is it just me or are the sentinels very reminiscent of the Destroyer from Thor?

Yea , if only they didn't put that friggin head blast in there smh

Hm, the 33 min footage screening I visited was far more exciting than The Winter Soldier. Sure WS was great and epic and absolutely no bad flick, but for me Henry Jackmans score killed my joy for the whole movie :D

In my current opinion I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is superior to the Winter Soldier as a movie itself.
(Could've been a lot closer if they let Alan Silvestri or Bryan Tyler score TWS)
I hope the remaining 109 minutes of TASM2 will make it even better.

I think this will be the best film since Dick Tracy.

Lhûgion;28304121 said:
Hm, the 33 min footage screening I visited was far more exciting than The Winter Soldier. Sure WS was great and epic and absolutely no bad flick, but for me Henry Jackmans score killed my joy for the whole movie :D

In my current opinion I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is superior to the Winter Soldier as a movie itself.
(Could've been a lot closer if they let Alan Silvestri or Bryan Tyler score TWS)

Well that's great to hear (though I'm still somewhat looking forward to TWS).

I think this will be the best film since Dick Tracy.

lol that's random

Lhûgion;28304121 said:

I can't wait to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier. If it was any other year, Cap would be by far my most anticipated film, but regardless how awesome Cap seems to be, The Amazing Spider-Man looks epic, larger than life and all around the best I've seen from Spider-Man In my entire life, both from comics, cartoons and live action adaptations.

Let's hope that all these films are brilliant though, so everybody wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"