Infinity War The Avengers: Infinity War The Official News and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be all for this :up:

[blackout]Same. Lots around here were against the snap, deaths and a cliffhanger ending before IW dropped and those elements are a big part of what makes it work. And yes, also make this film stand out via it's seriousness and gravitas compared to some other Marvel releases.

Now many are going in the opposite direction wanting the next film to end in more and permanent deaths. And as someone that wanted the deaths, the snap and a cliffhanger and got all of that in a film with dramatic weight I think that while A4 will be dramatic with high stakes... I suspect we are looking at an uplifting if consequential send off of the "Thanos phase" of the MCU. The audience will not be walking out in any way the way they did from IW. No, they are going to try to have us leave the way we did A1. So Pepper giving a eulogy or the like I don't see, nor mourners at Cap's memorial. Something like a wedding seeing off Tony to retirement or Steve leaving to reform SHIELD while the Avengers , scratch that The New Avengers plot out their future at a new HQ with new members and old coming together... I think that's what we'll get.[/blackout]

Last edited by a moderator:
[blackout]Same. Lots around here were against the snap, deaths and a cliffhanger ending before IW dropped and those elements are a big part of what makes it work. And yes, also make this film stand out via it's seriousness and gravitas compared to some other Marvel releases.

Now many are going in the opposite direction wanting the next film to end in more and permanent deaths. And as someone that wanted the deaths, the snap and a cliffhanger and got all of that in a film with dramatic weight I think that while A4 will be dramatic with high stakes... I suspect we are looking at an uplifting if consequential send off of the "Thanos phase" of the MCU. The audience will not be walking out in any way the way they did from IW. No, they are going to try to have us leave the way we did A1. So Pepper giving a eulogy or the like I don't see, nor mourners at Cap's memorial. Something like a wedding seeing off Tony to retirement or Steve leaving to reform SHIELD while the Avengers , scratch that The New Avengers plot out their future at a new HQ with new members and old coming together... I think that's what we'll get.[/blackout]

[blackout]Agreed. IW was the movie that was supposed to be the darkest hour of everyone. I see Avengers 4 off-setting that. I see Avengers 4 being an emotional send off for the old guard, yes. But I think Marvel wants us to leave the movie with tears of joy, not sadness. I see Avengers 4 being the CBM equivalent of Return of the King. When ROTK ended, yes we said goodbye to dear friends we watched over 9-12hrs of film (depending on version) overcoming the most dire of situations, over coming the odds, and then when the journey was over, they shared a smile and said goodbye. We were not mourning Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, etc. Superheroes are meant to inspire and bring us joy/escape from the often less than stellar lives we all lead. I would rather leave with that same happy feeling ROTK gives me than a lump in my throat because Cap or Iron Man are dead. Many may disagree, but I think it is the much more satisfying ending.[/blackout]

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already, but apparently, the "Why is Gamora?" line was improvised by Dave. :D

Holland improvised the "I don't wanna go" scene and the "I'm backup" line, Evans and Hemsworth improvised their beard/haircut scene and Bautista improvised the "Why is Gamora?" line.

Agreed. IW was the movie that was supposed to be the darkest hour of everyone. I see Avengers 4 off-setting that. I see Avengers 4 being an emotional send off for the old guard, yes. But I think Marvel wants us to leave the movie with tears of joy, not sadness. I see Avengers 4 being the CBM equivalent of Return of the King. When ROTK ended, yes we said goodbye to dear friends we watched over 9-12hrs of film (depending on version) overcoming the most dire of situations, over coming the odds, and then when the journey was over, they shared a smile and said goodbye. We were not mourning Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, etc. Superheroes are meant to inspire and bring us joy/escape from the often less than stellar lives we all lead. I would rather leave with that same happy feeling ROTK gives me than a lump in my throat because Cap or Iron Man are dead. Many may disagree, but I think it is the much more satisfying ending.

Plus... I don't see Feige and Disney benching any IP in a way that comes off "permanent" to the audience. Steve and Tony or whomever else (I think Ruffalo is getting up there to play Banner as much as I like him in the part) will still be alive and available for use if a Cap 4 or Iron Man 4 becomes something the studio or Disney are interested in but it will just be with new faces in the roles.

I still love how [BLACKOUT]Dr. Strange didn't take any crap from Tony. Also loved the scene where Vision tells everyone Thanos is coming and you can see the trees start to shake. Then he appears. Gave me chills[/BLACKOUT]

Plus... I don't see Feige and Disney benching any IP in a way that comes off "permanent" to the audience. Steve and Tony or whomever else (I think Ruffalo is getting up there to play Banner as much as I like him in the part) will still be alive and available for use if a Cap 4 or Iron Man 4 becomes something the studio or Disney are interested in but it will just be with new faces in the roles.

As much as I would love to see both Steve and Tony survive the events of A4 and get their well deserved happy ending, I think something bad has to happen in A4 because
it's pretty obvious that everyone who died by means of the snap death will be revived in A4. So when everyone is revived and order is restored, if there aren't any huge prices to pay for that miracle then wouldn't that take away the full impact of Thanos's victory from IW?

As much as I would love to see both Steve and Tony survive the events of A4 and get their well deserved happy ending, I think something bad has to happen in A4 because
it's pretty obvious that everyone who died by means of the snap death will be revived in A4. So when everyone is revived and order is restored, if there aren't any huge prices to pay for that miracle then wouldn't that take away the full impact of Thanos's victory from IW?

I think the person to pay the price will be "Future" Tony. Paltrow let slip that there is going to be a time jump. Pepper and Tony are married with a kid. This tracks with BTS that show an aged looking Tony, and the shots of Cap and Thor looking like they did in A1. So... Tony from the future has been working on a plan to undo all that happened with Thanos, BUT, just like Thanos he has to sacrifice. He will essentially like Thanos have to make a choice which will include a child. Whether current Tony is aware of this or not, I think that's how it will play out in some fashion. They aren't going to have the MCU remain in a five to ten year ahead time frame. They aren't going to just bring back the snapped/dusted deaths. It's going to be as in the original story a universal reset, as though none of it happened. Maybe specific heroes will for whatever reason know the true story but the rest of the world will not remember the "deaths" or that suddenly all these people disappeared and even those that died post snap, say passengers on an airplane where the pilots went poof will also be brought back.

Look... before lots were like, there won't be huge "deaths" in IW. Now people are on the doom and gloom train going forward. They aren't going to end the Thanos arc with any kind of downer. No Tony death. No Steve death. No death of the entire team in a sacrifice play. IW was THE TWO TOWERS. A4 is going to be RETURN OF THE KING. They want us going out of the theaters after A4 with a song in our heart like the ending of A1. Our heroes triumphant and unbowed. Sure, we'll get some kind of transition. Tony retires and goes off with Pepper. Steve takes over a reformed SHIELD. But I guarantee you the torch will be passed by the vets to the new team without any dying. Someone suggested it end with a marriage, Pepper and Tony tying the knot with Steve as the best man and stand in for Pepper's father handing her off. That's kinda perfect. And the last scene will be the New Avengers in their new HQ planning their future just like the shot at the end of A1 with the Silvestri theme booming.

My two cents.

I think the person to pay the price will be "Future" Tony. Paltrow let slip that there is going to be a time jump. Pepper and Tony are married with a kid. This tracks with BTS that show an aged looking Tony, and the shots of Cap and Thor looking like they did in A1. So... Tony from the future has been working on a plan to undo all that happened with Thanos, BUT, just like Thanos he has to sacrifice. He will essentially like Thanos have to make a choice which will include a child. Whether current Tony is aware of this or not, I think that's how it will play out in some fashion. They aren't going to have the MCU remain in a five to ten year ahead time frame. They aren't going to just bring back the snapped/dusted deaths. It's going to be as in the original story a universal reset, as though none of it happened. Maybe specific heroes will for whatever reason know the true story but the rest of the world will not remember the "deaths" or that suddenly all these people disappeared and even those that died post snap, say passengers on an airplane where the pilots went poof will also be brought back.

Look... before lots were like, there won't be huge "deaths" in IW. Now people are on the doom and gloom train going forward. They aren't going to end the Thanos arc with any kind of downer. No Tony death. No Steve death. No death of the entire team in a sacrifice play. IW was THE TWO TOWERS. A4 is going to be RETURN OF THE KING. They want us going out of the theaters after A4 with a song in our heart like the ending of A1. Our heroes triumphant and unbowed. Sure, we'll get some kind of transition. Tony retires and goes off with Pepper. Steve takes over a reformed SHIELD. But I guarantee you the torch will be passed by the vets to the new team without any dying. Someone suggested it end with a marriage, Pepper and Tony tying the knot with Steve as the best man and stand in for Pepper's father handing her off. That's kinda perfect. And the last scene will be the New Avengers in their new HQ planning their future just like the shot at the end of A1 with the Silvestri theme booming.

My two cents.

Call me a downer, but if none of the Big Three had to sacrifice to win the war and bring back the people who disappeared, then there's really no actual stakes in A4. There's a reason why the OG Avengers were spared in IW, and it is so some of them can go out with a bang, and not just a wedding. I think Cap should go since Marvel probably won't let RDJ go, and Thor seems to be rejuvenated after Thor Ragnarok; he will probably get another sequel with Taika. It will be a heroic death and an appropriate one as well.

did they formally say how much the budget was? I've seen rumors of 250 and others of 400 million?

[blackout]Agreed. IW was the movie that was supposed to be the darkest hour of everyone. I see Avengers 4 off-setting that. I see Avengers 4 being an emotional send off for the old guard, yes. But I think Marvel wants us to leave the movie with tears of joy, not sadness. I see Avengers 4 being the CBM equivalent of Return of the King. When ROTK ended, yes we said goodbye to dear friends we watched over 9-12hrs of film (depending on version) overcoming the most dire of situations, over coming the odds, and then when the journey was over, they shared a smile and said goodbye. We were not mourning Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, etc. Superheroes are meant to inspire and bring us joy/escape from the often less than stellar lives we all lead. I would rather leave with that same happy feeling ROTK gives me than a lump in my throat because Cap or Iron Man are dead. Many may disagree, but I think it is the much more satisfying ending.[/blackout]

100% agree with this!!!!

I so like what you are saying here.

did they formally say how much the budget was? I've seen rumors of 250 and others of 400 million?

I assume since they shot the movies back to back (and who is to say they did not film at least some scenes/shots simultaneously, to help with costumes, continuity etc etc).. It should be around $400-450M for both movies combined. Assuming a budget of $450 (plus $200M for Marketing/promotion), it is amazing that IW alone could bring Marvel to the right side of the ledger. Lets face it, every cent A4 makes is just additional money for Disney.

Call me a downer, but if none of the Big Three had to sacrifice to win the war and bring back the people who disappeared, then there's really no actual stakes in A4. There's a reason why the OG Avengers were spared in IW, and it is so some of them can go out with a bang, and not just a wedding. I think Cap should go since Marvel probably won't let RDJ go, and Thor seems to be rejuvenated after Thor Ragnarok; he will probably get another sequel with Taika. It will be a heroic death and an appropriate one as well.

If Cap's gonna die, better make it a heroic death and meaningful one at that. He got the short end of the stick in this film, he deserves a lot better. And if he has to go, it must be as the legend he always was inside the MCU. A BvS Superman death (which was absolutely forced, unneeded and made little sense), for example, would ruin Cap arc.

If Cap's gonna die, better make it a heroic death and meaningful one at that. He got the short end of the stick in this film, he deserves a lot better. And if he has to go, it must be as the legend he always was inside the MCU. A BvS Superman death (which was absolutely forced, unneeded and made little sense), for example, would ruin Cap arc.

this already has bvs beat in terms of a meaningful death if cap dies because it's been a journey that earns our respect and sympathy. Unlike bvs that decided to do it in the second movie in the franchise. So its virtually impossible for them to give us a bvs death out of cap because the journey has earned the character the honor of dying a hero.

Speaking for myself, I cannot imagine any recasting of Steve or Tony in the current continuity. Or Banner, for that matter.

I have zero interest in any part of the current MCU that features recasts of these characters. I'd much rather them die meaningful deaths to be remembered by the next generation of characters, if that's the choice being offered.

Speaking for myself, I cannot imagine any recasting of Steve or Tony in the current continuity. Or Banner, for that matter.

I have zero interest in any part of the current MCU that features recasts of these characters. I'd much rather them die meaningful deaths to be remembered by the next generation of characters, if that's the choice being offered.

In comics you have new artists and writers come in all the time. Some work more than others. Some redefine the character. Some are quickly forgotten. In any case... I feel that way about the interconnected Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm not emotionally connected to the actors playing the roles as great as some are. I'm connected to the characters and I want the characters to continue on in the MCU for the most part. Actors are always going to come and go but the characters have stood the test of time for decades and I don't see the film portion of their history as markedly different. I'd rather Chris Evans retire as Cap and the character of Steve Rogers put on the shelf for a period only to have the torch passed at some point so that in the next few years a new generation can discover Capt. America with a new actor in the role without having to have some convoluted story about ressurections or the like. Killing off Steve or Tony is a waste of future potential on so many levels, not least of which is yeah, getting to see new actors take over the roles in new interpretations.

In comics you have new artists and writers come in all the time. Some work more than others. Some redefine the character. Some are quickly forgotten. In any case... I feel that way about the interconnected Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm not emotionally connected to the actors playing the roles as great as some are. I'm connected to the characters and I want the characters to continue on in the MCU for the most part. Actors are always going to come and go but the characters have stood the test of time for decades and I don't see the film portion of their history as markedly different. I'd rather Chris Evans retire as Cap and the character of Steve Rogers put on the shelf for a period only to have the torch passed at some point so that in the next few years a new generation can discover Capt. America with a new actor in the role without having to have some convoluted story about ressurections or the like. Killing off Steve or Tony is a waste of future potential on so many levels, not least of which is yeah, getting to see new actors take over the roles in new interpretations.

I'm fine with new interpretations of the characters, but these actors are an integral part of originating these characters onscreen and I personally am only invested in them as currently embodied by these actors.

To be honest, I grew up on Marvel but have had no patience for the comics as an adult. It was the MCU and these actors that made me care again. Again, I'm speaking only for myself, but I really don't want to see them recast as long as the current MCU continues its story. If they recast as part of a top-to-bottom continuity reboot in a few years, OK.

I agree. Feige had used James Bond as an example where the title character was recast with a new actor, but MCU should be more like Star Wars, where there's an epic story that features no recast and spanned through the generations. If MCU still continues in another 20-30 years, I want people to remember the Avengers like they did for Hamill's Luke Skywalker, Carrie Fisher's Leia Organa, and Harrison Ford's Han Solo, and not some other actors who replaced Cap, Iron Man, and Thor. One day, the MCU will be rebooted, and there's when it makes sense to give us new interpretation of our favorite heroes, but not until a reboot.

Not to mention Banner had already been recast once and it all worked out fine. I mean, I'd rather they didn't* but it's not like it'd never work.

*My personal preference is for the MCU to move forward in real time taking actors and characters real ages into account.

Not to mention Banner had already been recast.

It was done very early in the MCU and one that was not within their control, since Ed Norton didn't want to return.

AVENGERS: “GREEN FATTY” AND “IRON CAN” ARE SET TO SMASH CHINA’S BOX-OFFICE RECORDS

Marvel’s latest Avengers installment—Avengers: Infinity War—hits theaters in China today (May 11), a few weeks after debuting to massive success elsewhere. The delay won’t hurt the film’s chances judging by early ticket data, the franchise’s earlier success, and the popularity of Marvel characters in what this year has become the world’s biggest movie market.

But those characters, in China, get widely used nicknames in a way not seen elsewhere. Examples:

Captain America: ???? (Dàn?i duìzh?ng), or “Captain Big ****.” Sometimes just “Big ****.”
Spiderman: ?? (Xi?o chóng), or “Little Bug.”
Hulk: ?? (L? pàng), or “Green Fatty.” (On an unrelated note, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is called “Kim Fatty the Third,” and Japanese cartoon character Doraemon is dubbed “Blue Fatty.”)
Thor: ?? (Chuí g?), or “Brother Hammer.”
Iron Man: ?? (Ti? guàn), or “Iron Can.” Fans also call him ?? (N? n?), a feminine equivalent of similar sounding ??, because Tony Stark’s first name is ?? in Chinese (also because Robert Downey Jr.’s last name is ??). They think Stark is cold on the outside and warm on the inside, like some girls.
Black Widow: ?? (Gu? ji?), or “Sister Widow.”
Hawkeye: ?? (Féi ji?), or “Fat Birdie.”
Avengers: ?? (Fùlián), or “Women’s Federation.” The superhero group is officially known as ????? (Fùchóu zh? liánméng) in Chinese, or “Avengers’ Federation.” The shorthand for that is ??, and ? is a homophone for ? (women).
Analysts believe Infinity War is poised to become (paywall) the biggest-ever weekend debut in China, with a shot at $200 million or more.

Before its domestic release today, it had already raked in nearly $50 million in presales in China, setting a new all-time record for advance booking. The movie also notched 56.7 million yuan ($9 million) in the midnight box office, edging the previous record held by The Fate of the Furious since April 2017, according to data from Taopiaopiao (link in Chinese), a ticket-booking app.

On Douban, China’s equivalent to IMDb, Infinity War currently holds a rating of 8.6/10, with most reviews being generously positive (link in Chinese). One states, “It’s a combination of the best of all Marvel films: the most tragic Ragnarok, the most hot-blooded Ugandan, the most manly Captain America, and the most desperate Stark.”

Reads another: “There’s no time to pee during the movie.”

It was done very early in the MCU and one that was not within their control, since Ed Norton didn't want to return.

Ed Norton is a difficult person to work with, he likes to have control over the character and the story, if he doesn't like something, he demands to change, he usually gets off on board with directors.

Ed Norton is a difficult person to work with, he likes to have control over the character and the story, if he doesn't like something, he demands to change, he usually gets off on board with directors.

Well, you can't argue that he doesn't do good work in spite of it. :(

I love those nicknames. :funny:

Someone with too much time on their hands. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1