1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 13, 2018.

1. TheScarecrow Registered

Hmmm but the "they" in control at each of those points are not the same "they" that are in control now.

I still think the best solution is a soft reboot, but I can understand the desire to move on as well.

2. Holy Slapper Registered

That's what "they" want you to think...

3. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

The amount of changes they've had in leadership, with no real change in strategy, tells me all I need to know about how they'll continue on.

Lily Adler and jetage like this.
  4. Invader Joker Registered

They haven't even released their strategy yet.

WatchProtect likes this.
  5. REDophile Registered

Gunn and Safran running things is a good thing but it’s not that different from how they had DC Films organized before with Zack Snyder and Charles Roven. It’s just replacing Snyder with Gunn and Roven with Safran.
    But hey Gunn and Safran have a way better track record. A lot of the successful DC things the last few years have been produced by Safran. Gunn did Guardians and SS well. Snyder had done Watchmen and MoS, both of which were meh at best.

Tyler77 likes this.
  6. GreenKToo I run into burning buildings. Crazy huh.

One thing is for sure. They CANNOT just throw a superhero film out there with big action, but poor in story and script, and expect a huge hit.

metaphysician likes this.
  7. TheScarecrow Registered

8. Chip Chipperson the big guy

Well, maybe Gunn and Safran won’t let that happen under their watch.

As for Black Adam, it kinda slipped through the cracks as it happened when the leadership at WB changed hands and they also got all enamored with The Rock’s star power. Turns out it wasn’t enough to give them the mega hit they expected, for some reason.

9. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

Idk about the second one. I can't see them dumping Gal and Jason.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  10. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Same here.

11. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

The one about Games worries me greatly.
    WB is already not doing much with Games, only doing them when they fit a very tight, connected universe is not the way to go imo.
    Games imo should be free of that and be their own thing to be able to fully use its creative aspect.
    Locking a already small sector into a even smaller space...not the best idea imo.

Dumping not, but i assume Gadot does WW3 and then thats it.
    Momoa maybe AM3 unless the Lobo thing happens that some speculate.

And i dont think Reeves would be down for a Shared Universe and Gunn/Safran dont strike me as people that want their People to be unhappy.
    And i think Reeves would be unhappy with being forced to bring his Batman into a shared universe.
    But then, the 10 year plan seems really wonky if thats the case.
    I mean Batman 2 is allegedly a 2025 movie, 4 years into their 10 year plan, then another 3-4 for maybe batman 3...so by the time Reeves is "done" we are at the end of the 10 year plan.

We will see...at the moment i think they play the cards very close to their chest and nobody has anything to go with.
    All just speculating etc.
    We will see, the day they announce their plan will definitly be historic...only question is WHEN will that happen.

12. GreenKToo I run into burning buildings. Crazy huh.

I think Reeves will be left alone with his batman, same with the joker.

But the rest of the films ( imo ) will all be connected with one storyline, that leads up to either a big bad ( Darkseid? Anti monitor? )
    Or ends with a Kingdom Come style of film(s).

13. Frodo Registered

Aside from having a Cavill led Superman film, I really don't see WBD, in the short term, taking all that different a path from the previous regime.

The hit films , inside, or outside of the DCEU ,will get sequels and trilogies .

In other words , we're going to get The Batman 2 and 3, Probably a Joker 3, Aquaman 3, WW 3, maybe a Shazam 3 if it 2 performs well, The Flash etc.

I don't really see having a single unified DCEU( with no outside the universe spins) until the next decade at least.

Reeves will be left alone in addition to Phillips.
    Their profits outweighs any desire for everything to be part of a shared universe, at this point.

After a trilogy of Reeves and Phillips films we'll see what the landscape is .

14. king666 Registered

Not sure about this one. Reeves looks like a team player (more so than Nolan, I think). Also, Gunn and Safran are not stupid. Assuming they're interested, they could try to persuade Reeves with... well, more money (LOL) and with full creative control over all Batman related projects.

Creatively speaking, there are ways to work around this issue. If they decide to reboot, they could make it so the new movies are set after the events of Reeves' trilogy. Give Reeves full access and control over those movies (and spin-off TV series).

15. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Making Plans...

I need to read this story.

16. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

You've never read Kingdom Come??????

Lily Adler and flickchick85 like this.
  17. GreenKToo I run into burning buildings. Crazy huh.

If he/they can pull off KC, then great.

Thats a whole lot of characters.
    I really hope they do several solo films first to set them all up and not just jump into it like WB did with JL.

It seems to me KC would be better suited for a few animated films, but we shall see.

18. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

So, if they give us Kingdom Come, will they have the nerve to also give us a comics-accurate Power Girl (or Power Woman, as she's called in that book)?

19. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

There will be no KC for a very long time.
    This is just Gunn playing with people, he even liked a tweet that pretty much said that Gunn just had fun and posted a picture to represent his planning.

KC is in the list of possible future projects, one i would put very close to the bottom of the list.

20. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Oh, KC would have to be well down the line.

21. GreenKToo I run into burning buildings. Crazy huh.

It has potential.
    It would pretty much have to be started with the very first film under Gunn.
    The gradual decline and withdrawal from the public of the old guard heroes, and the rise of the new, bloodthirsty, heroes.

I think it's more likely that we will get a storyline with either Darkseid or the Anti-monitor.

22. mclay18 Registered

A big miscalculation. I feel like Gal and Patty need to finish their series out before heading in a different direction.

I can understanding canning Batgirl for tax reasons, but the first WW was a massive critical and worldwide hit. Whereas WW84's loss was due to Covid constantly delaying the movie's release.

I feel bad for them.

Venom 1988 and jignat like this.
  23. TheScarecrow Registered

Oooph this and Cavill are two cases where I hate being right.

24. mclay18 Registered

We still don't know Cavill's fate yet, but it doesn't look good since they canned WW3. If they return in their roles, the movies will be a soft reboot of the Snyderverse and their portrayals will be different.