DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

The thing is, they meaning WBD, are at least gonna wanna wait to see how Aquaman 2 performs.

If it makes close to , or as much as the first , it's hard to scrap that franchise for the sake of continuity in a rebooted universe.

I'm skeptical they'll pull the plug on Momoa's Aquaman not matter how the film performs.

I definitely think there's a qualifier ,and Aquaman 2's performance will determine whether that franchise continues.

At the same time, it's possible that a Lobo film , will be part of the Elseworlds films like The Batman and Joker , which would make it possible for Momoa to play both Aquaman in the DCU and Lobo in a The Batman and Joker type film outside of the DCU.
Does Aquaman 2 have any competition at the box office in December? I see some YouTubers expect it to underperform because of the DCU change but the first movie was popular in the overseas market and to be honest it was the only Four quadrant movie that the DCEU ever really produced. I don’t think it will do Avatar levels but 1 billion can’t be out of the question.

They aren't going to confine Lobo to Elseworld movies. If he's doing both, its likely that his Aquaman would still be set in the old DCEU while he also plays Lobo for the new DCU.

While I don't know that for a certainty , the idea that they would keep Aquaman in the old DCEU and Lobo in the new one would be interesting , and would also make sense.

It certainly makes sense if Aquaman 2 is another hit film and there's still potential profit in Momoa's Aquaman .

They could have their cake and eat it too.

Does Aquaman 2 have any competition at the box office in December? I see some YouTubers expect it to underperform because of the DCU change but the first movie was popular in the overseas market and to be honest it was the only Four quadrant movie that the DCEU ever really produced. I don’t think it will do Avatar levels but 1 billion can’t be out of the question.

That's thing about.
We don't know how it will end up performing this December, and I don't think WBD is gonna wanna write off that it might do well when the first one made a Billion.

I think the GA is going to determine whether an Aquaman 3 happens .

If it underperforms or is just okay, I think Aquaman 3 doesn't happen .
If it performs as close to the first one or at the first one's totals, than they'll be another Aquaman film.

I just don't see them walking away from his Aquaman if it's another huge hit.
If it stinks and underperforms, they'll chuck it and just reboot the character in the new DCU.

I get why people liked AQ, but it wasnt my cup of tea.
I would have preferred AQ be one of only a handful of Atlantians left.
Instead, we were shown hundreds of thousands of them. It kinda took away from him being special.

It would be like thousands of kryptonians being still alive. Superman wouldn't be so special then.

I also didn't care for the surfer dude portrayal of him.
Jason would be a much better fit for Lobo.

[QUOTE="GreenKToo, post: 39004135, member: 32046"]I get why people liked AQ, but it wasnt my cup of tea.
Instead, we were shown hundreds of thousands of them. It kinda took away from him being special.

It would be like thousands of kryptonians being still alive. Superman wouldn't be so special then.

Jason would be a much better fit for Lobo.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was just okay, but it went over well with the GA.

I also wasn't of fan of the surfer dude portrayal of the character , but , it didn't hurt the Box Office.

Then again, the character hasn't had a ton of Live action appearances like Superman or Batman has ,which crystalize in audiences minds ,how the character should be portrayed .

I mean, there was appearances on Smallville way back in the early 00s, but that's it in terms of live action.

So in that sense , they could get away with the surfer dude portrayal because it's taken like 70 years for the character to have a Major film adaptation .

I think AQ went over well with general audiences in that particular moment. I don't think it really created a big, excited fanbase that is guaranteed to show up for a sequel. It seems generally very hard to find anyone who genuinely loved it. Mostly just a lot of 'Yeah, that was fun/looked cool.'

And I think the 'looked cool' part was primarily driven by the fact that it was the first live action movie with underwater action at that scale. I question whether the sequel will be equally hyped now that the underwater aspect isn't unique anymore, especially since the competition in that category is James Cameron.

Alot of times a film looking cool, and being a good time, is enough to drive a high box office for sequels.

I doubt GA were expecting it to be TDK or The Batman.

They knew what the property was, but they enjoyed it anyway .
Alot of times, that's enough to bring people back.

Now , I'm talking about the average filmgoer who's looking for a good time, not the diehard DC film fans who may be more discerning about these individual projects.

The film is gonna make money.
The question is whether it will make as much as the first one.

I also don't think Avatar 2 works against it as far as the GA is concerned.

It's gonna matter much more to the GA whether the film is a Black Adam, or whether it's considered as fun and cool as the original ,that's gonna matter , not what Avatar 2 did.

If AQ 2 lands a China release theres a good chance it lands as well as the first one box office wise. Without China it will be very hard to pass the billion $ threshold.

I agree with him. Also, couple this with Bill Ramey's insistence on the fact that DCU Batman will not be introduced until Reeves is done and I think it's fairly likely we won't have two Bat-Men going around, which thank god.

nah.... that would be lame tbh.Its better for Atlantis to be a thriving world.

I agree with him. Also, couple this with Bill Ramey's insistence on the fact that DCU Batman will not be introduced until Reeves is done and I think it's fairly likely we won't have two Bat-Men going around, which thank god.
On the flipside that might mean Reeves Batman is only having 3 films. I guess it might be foolish to wish for more but my ideal would have been Reeves keep making films and to have a Batman in the new DCU, preferably the Pattinson version but of course only if all other parties wanted that too.

nah.... that would be lame tbh.Its better for Atlantis to be a thriving world.
I also like having Atlantis as a living breathing world, although I could do without the surfer dude version. Maybe he would have changed a bit for the sequel anyway starting out in more of a position of responsibility and having gone through the first film’s journey.

Characterizing Momoa’s Aquaman as a surfer dude just sounds so reductive to me. There’s a cultural component to his take and it’s more nuanced than “surfer.”

It just seemed dumb to me having a civilization with hundreds of thousands hid underwater.

That’s half the joy of Aquaman’s premise, though. If he’s just another strong dude who’s one of the last of his kind, he’s just another Superman knockoff. Him being the king of a crazy powerful superhuman nation is where the fun is, imo.

I am still praying that Gunn keeps Aquaman and Wonder Woman intact. Cavill I get, Affleck I get, Ezra I get but it just seems ...wrong to me to just discard these two very successful incarnations and reboot them just for a the sake of a "clean slate." The general audience does not care about this continuity stuff like we geeks who meticulously follow this stuff do. If Aquaman 2 is a good movie or at the very least a very entertaining that makes another billion or more this December, are the suits are just gonna be like "great! people loved this movie too, too bad we're not giving them more of it!" That's just....not how Hollywood works haha. $$ talks.

I know, I get it, certain fans feel like Gal and Jason aren't the, lets just say, "model" realisations of their respective characters and they want a re-do, but if the general audiences are responding to them, the studio's going to listen to them first and foremost.

I would find it weird to see Mamoa's Aquaman and Gadot's Wonder Woman "remain intact" and interacting with new versions of Batman and Superman in a Justice League movie as if nothing happened. That would be more confusing than just recasting everybody.

If you are going to reboot the DC universe on film, you need to go all the way.

Gal's last WW movie came out in 2020 and the third movie wasn't developed with any real progress. What is lost by recasting her?

Gunn could just hold off on introducing an Aquaman to his new DC universe until the DCEU version is finished with its run. Same goes for The Flash (if that movie does well).

I am still praying that Gunn keeps Aquaman and Wonder Woman intact. Cavill I get, Affleck I get, Ezra I get but it just seems ...wrong to me to just discard these two very successful incarnations and reboot them just for a the sake of a "clean slate." The general audience does not care about this continuity stuff like we geeks who meticulously follow this stuff do. If Aquaman 2 is a good movie or at the very least a very entertaining that makes another billion or more this December, are the suits are just gonna be like "great! people loved this movie too, too bad we're not giving them more of it!" That's just....not how Hollywood works haha. $$ talks.

I know, I get it, certain fans feel like Gal and Jason aren't the, lets just say, "model" realisations of their respective characters and they want a re-do, but if the general audiences are responding to them, the studio's going to listen to them first and foremost.
Simple answer: If that happens make a third Aquaman movie, but it's not in the new DCU.

As much as I'd personally like Gal and Jason to stay, I think at the very least , Gal is gone .
JM , as I've said previously, I think , stays as Aquaman if the next film does as well as the first.

They aren't go chuck 2 billion dollars films for the sake of continuity.

If it doesn't make another billion or under performs, then I think he's Lobo all the time .

I know that Gal wasn't every fan's cup of tea, but I thought she was great.
She had such charm and warmth , while at the same time, was believable to me as an action hero.

She reminded me of Lynda Carter in that sense, who I also love as WW.

It's sad to think only three actresses, including Cathy Lee Crosby in the three, have played the character in live action when she's been around for 80 years .

It really shouldn't have taken as long as it did for WW to make it to the big screen.
That said, what we eventually got , I really enjoyed in terms of Gadot's performance and her first film.
tumblr_pni4glt0tW1rqz9syo6_r1_540.gifv

wonder-woman-lynda-carter-animated.gif

Cathy-Lee-Crosby-Wonder-Woman.jpg

The Flash should have a New Trailer soon it is very strange that we have not had anything the last thing was the 2021 Trailer i think the New Trailer will have Michael Keaton in his Batman suit to hook the General Audience into seeing this Movie i dont know how much they have modified the Story to fit with the Reboot i just hope that The Flash is not delayed and that it comes out in Summer 2023

trailer at Super Bowl apparently.They might be going all in on promoting it if rumours of it being great and a crowd pleaser are true. Tho I got to wonder how it will do in box office.i assume budget is high especially with reshoots etc as it is. Hopefully Keaton etc is a big pull too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"