The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I finally started to continue playing Dragon Age Origins. I already beat the game a couple times, but I wanted to make this my final playthrough, before I start with Dragon Age 2. The game was on my shelf easily for over a year, and starting from where I left off feels really overwhelming.

Last edited:
Speaking of Jurassic Park... While playing Far Cry 3 I couldn't help but think that it would be much better as a JP game.

Can PS3 controllers die? Like completely die, wont even turn on with a usb cable connected die?

I would assume so. Every battery dies eventually

that was a big contoversy (well one of them) about the PS3 when it launched bc the only way to replace would be to send it in to Sony. I got my first Dualshock 3 back in 2007 and now 5 years later, its still working perfectly. I prefer the rechargable design they have over replaceable batteries you buy. Ive never had an issue.

Hm, well my pad won't cut on at all. Even when connected.

Giantbomb's been operating with a bit of a skeleton crew over the last week but honestly I think its been one of their best weeks in a long while.

Totally agree. I caught the Euro Truck Simulator stream live and it was incredible. :funny:

Valve's Rumored Console May Be Linux-Based

Rumors of a Valve console have been circulating for quite some time, and here's some more difficult to confirm information to add to the fire.

Valve's man in charge Gabe Newell has offered a few quotes in regard to the success of Steam's Big Picture Mode and bringing the PC into the living room that strongly hint that a Valve console is in the company's future. In typical Valve fashion, however, it's all very ambiguous and secretive.

A NeoGAF user has posted a link and translations from German website Golem.de where Valve employee Ben Krasnow spoke at a conference in December about a Valve console. Apparently it will be based in Linux rather than Windows in the interest of delivering an open platform for developers. Also, Newell doesn't care for Windows 8. Krasnow also said that Valve will reveal more about the hypothetical console this year.

Source

That does not surprise me. Gabe really railed on Windows 8. Honestly I agree. I hate that OS. I'll stick with 7 for now.

I think most people dont care for Windows 8. Its the first MS OS, Im gonna skip. Sticking with 7 as well

well lets remember people didn't like the first installment of vista too. it's like the "beta max VHS "(before CD rom's and blue rays) of pc's. before the latter version of it came and then Windows 7. it's a refinement issue. it was the reason Nintendo didn't head to Cd's and sony with the play station ventured forth into it any way. but Nintendo wanted it all refined first as their excuse. And let sony and others do all testing til they felt secure with using disc's finally. too bad it cost them the FF series among many others.

No that's really not it. Vista had problems that were technical. Windows 8 has more of a complete terrible design. That no one is liking. I have a cousin that bought a laptop with 8 and hates it. And she says it's not growing on her.

I have Windows 8 and it's totally fine. I find that most people who dislike it are just having an irrational knee jerk reaction to the Metro Start screen.

I have Windows 8 and it's totally fine. I find that most people who dislike it are just having an irrational knee jerk reaction to the Metro Start screen.
and its understandable bc its awful. Ive had the preview build on my Mac for a several months now and I couldnt get used to it. Simple things like settings are hard to find and not as intuitive and easily laid out like they were before. I think MS tried to simplify things to make it more accessible but in the process made things too simple and it now has the reverse effect. Removing the Start button was also a horrible mistake and a big reason why people are agains the OS. From a visual standpoint, I dont like the plain,simple design of it and the font being used as you can see in the MS products being used for 2013 which match W8. Its just not appealing and looks bland. I also dont get not including Windows Media Center, but instead having it be a seperate extra charge for that functionality. I really dont have alot of good things to say about W8.

Unlike Vista, at least the issues arent about it being glitchy or performance. Its just not well designed to be as user friendly as previous editions for longterm Windows users. I see absolutely no reason to upgade. There's virtually nothing about it that is compelling at all to take that step and MS has failed to convince me of that. Imsure its great on tablets and touch screens, but unfortunately that same experience cant be mimicked on a desktop/laptop

No that's really not it. Vista had problems that were technical. Windows 8 has more of a complete terrible design. That no one is liking. I have a cousin that bought a laptop with 8 and hates it. And she says it's not growing on her.
well it depends on what you are using your pc for actually. Work wise or for personal use. At work at the time I knew alot of others when I was there, as soon others near me had a vista pc they complained when using it and the word "hate" came out of their mouths often even our team leads testers said that often til the later versions of it came out.

For someone like my old man who's work is writing about hi-fi speakers and didn't have that issue, he said that same thing about technical issues in the same wording you did. but he said he's not using it for much other wise and it didn't effect him. he was ok with it and how that version of vista worked and yes early stage vista did take out some programs away that most people are used to. A lot of people are video centric or use their pc as photo albums at that time or for music files. when I use early vista at work any way just shutting down the pc was a chore, compared to it's later version and xp before that and then 7 came . I'm just saying you had do things a different way which with windows function wise prior to early vista was just plain easier. that's simple task speak.

Every ones different. but I had someone that did the maintenance on my personal pc telling me "don't touch vista " as if it was a human born virus like it was "SARS ". "wait til they have some thing better later." point was that version wasn't liked ether and even with what havok just said to soapy half of that word wise still reminds me of what said about the first version of vista.

It just depends on what a persons experienced with it was I suppose.

Last edited:
I never had a problem with Vista on my old laptop. That being said though, I'm glad I got Windows 7 for my new one.

I loved Vista when it came out and I dont think all the hate thrown at it was deserved. I think most people that had technical issues with it didnt have the proper specifications to properly run it. It came with higher system requirements than XP and older PCs just didnt have the optimal amount of RAM and/or video card. Trying to upgrade Vista to an older PC is where many problems came from but if you upgraded 1 or both of those components as well, you'd see a noticeable different in performance. By the time 7 came almost 2 and a half years later, most PCs were fit to run it with the recommended system requirements which is why it was better received

That still comes down to refinement seeing what you said. other wise what gabe's reaction and wanting to use Lynux in place cause he can't stand windows 8 is the same reaction that was done when there was an issue the first vista and lot of people went to Leo laport or any other place you heared this from saying they wanted to switch to Linux.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back