• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The HULK Thread - Part 1

Just got back, a lot to process from first viewing but I'm pretty sure I'm 100% pleased with both Bruce and Hulk in this movie. Great characterization, had moments of importance without overshadowing Thor, and even had great feats. I'd say Hulk is probably more powerful than he's ever been portrayed before, he was a true powerhouse.

Gotta love that [BLACKOUT]"People's Elbow"[/BLACKOUT] moment.

Just got back, a lot to process from first viewing but I'm pretty sure I'm 100% pleased with both Bruce and Hulk in this movie. Great characterization, had moments of importance without overshadowing Thor, and even had great feats. I'd say Hulk is probably more powerful than he's ever been portrayed before, he was a true powerhouse.

Technically he would beat the Hulk in previous films pretty clealr, he's been Hulk for 2 years and has actual been TRAINING. Yes, The Incredible Hulk has been training AND competing as a gladiator for 2 years.

What in particular made you feel Hulk is more powerful in this film?

Gotta love that [BLACKOUT]"People's Elbow"[/BLACKOUT] moment.

When did this happen?

This is definitely the case when he [BLACKOUT]hit Beast Surtur and moved him! [/BLACKOUT]

Thor also was vastly powered up more than we've seen him before and these 2 will likely come in very useful on the front line of the Avengers team when Thanos comes knocking.

When did this happen?

It's how he knocks out Thor after Thor goes super saiyajin...
Which I still don't get. I mean... Why wasn't his godly lightning enough to burn the disc out? For that matter why is an electric shock affecting Thor at all?
That's one of my critique's of the internal logic of the film where "if it's funny"
had priority over "does it make sense for these characters..." but I digress.
Anyway Thor is on his back and Hulk leaps up to the point Val sees him up close in her ship and then comes down hard on Thor. My immediate tougth was "the people's elbow".

Which I still don't get. I mean... Why wasn't his godly lightning enough to burn the disc out? For that matter why is an electric shock affecting Thor at all?
That's one of my critique's of the internal logic of the film where "if it's funny"
Anyway Thor is on his back and Hulk leaps up to the point Val sees him up close in her ship and then comes down hard on Thor. My immediate tougth was "the people's elbow".

I feel like the disc wasn't really electrical as eletricity in superhero movies is shown.

Probably something that weakens you and locks up your body.

I can say I was definitely pleased with Hulk in this movie. I kind of wish he had more of a memorable action sequence though, because his fight with Fenris was pretty short and while the Arena fight was dope I still wanted a bit more. However, they gave him a lot of personality which I like, because the whole raging monster thing was getting old IMO.

His entire argument with Thor was gold, and I can't wait to see what the Russo's do with him in IW/A4.

The way the disk seemed to embedded itself and like, deeply infect it's target with that weird technovein **** makes me think they're not actually very electricity based and are more of some high grade alien nerve toxin. They are electrically triggered it seems, so maybe one could make the case that the God of Thunder should be able to short out it's connection to the remote triggers and thus make Valkyrie or the Grandmaster unable to activate it, but the stunning effect itself made sense to me. My read on it is that It's not like a taser, it's something else that's a lot more insidious and effective.

The way the disk seemed to embedded itself and like, deeply infect it's target with that weird technovein **** makes me think they're not actually very electricity based and are more of some high grade alien nerve toxin. They are electrically triggered it seems, so maybe one could make the case that the God of Thunder should be able to short out it's connection to the remote triggers and thus make Valkyrie or the Grandmaster unable to activate it, but the stunning effect itself made sense to me. My read on it is that It's not like a taser, it's something else that's a lot more insidious and effective.

[BLACKOUT]I do believe Thor himself says "don't shock me again" at some point and most people I think will say it was a "shock" device of some kind without thinking through the ramifications of how off that is give who it's shocking. [/BLACKOUT]

Reminded me of the IM device that Obadiah used that involved sound. The veins turned bluish like it.

About how IW picks up from here...

[BLACKOUT]Everyone is going "Oh, I guess Thanos is the reason that Thor ends up in space and gets together with the Guardians... Seeing that Hulk is on the ship with the Asgardians I think we should ask what happens to Hulk?
I could see Thanos curb stomping both Thor and Hulk to have his bona fides established to the audience in the first few minutes of IW. [/BLACKOUT]

About how IW picks up from here...

[BLACKOUT]Everyone is going "Oh, I guess Thanos is the reason that Thor ends up in space and gets together with the Guardians... Seeing that Hulk is on the ship with the Asgardians I think we should ask what happens to Hulk?
I could see Thanos curb stomping both Thor and Hulk to have his bona fides established to the audience in the first few minutes of IW. [/BLACKOUT]

Very true, that is a good question.

What in particular made you feel Hulk is more powerful in this film?

I dunno, I think that given the setting and how much more over the top this is... I can't picture previous Hulk's rocketing towards Surtur at such speeds, making him stagger so greatly from the impact. Back then I was advocating for Hulk to merely make him flinch like "eh, what the ****" like we'd do to a fly colliding with our face. That was me going for a reasonable underselling of a potential strength feat. Then the actual movie went above my expectations by having Surtur react quite extremely to the impact, and Hulk actually chipping off pieces of Surtur's crown when I thought Surtur would be just absolutely impervious to any sort of lasting damage in his prime form.

That's quite a far cry from anything I'd expect 2008 Hulk to do. Even his A1/AoU feats feel tame by comparison.

Then I know you consider Hulk shaking his head from the lightning blast to be proof he's not mega durable but I mean, okay yeah he's clearing his head big whoop. Not like he seemed even remotely close to be KO'd by anything. He always got right back up, even after being flung by Surtur. There's no lasting damage to anything but his armor. Fenrir managed to pierce his leg after quite some time of biting, and even then there's no lasting wound the next time we see him. His opponents had to work their asses off to just temporarily damage him.

Hulk was an unstoppable beast throughout and was pretty much only in peril by falling into the void. Even then, Loki did fall into the void yet survived. So even that would only be an inconvenience that removes Hulk from the movie's finale but not from the realm of the living.

Again, I don't know, I feel like this Hulk is just on a whole other level. With this Hulk, there's no him having to shield himself from Blonsky's grenade launcher, and no debate or question of him being KO'd by something that's not PIS like with Tony's lucky sucker punch. And none of this is necessarily concrete, he may have not even been canonically power boosted. It may just be Waititi going balls to the wall with how he portrays his characters abilities and the Russo's might not follow suit.

It would be a shame if Hulk were less powerful and fast moving in IW as compared to TR. Same with Thor. I feel that for Thor and Hulk to a certain degree this was TWS for them when it came to action.

I dunno, I think that given the setting and how much more over the top this is... I can't picture previous Hulk's rocketing towards Surtur at such speeds, making him stagger so greatly from the impact. Back then I was advocating for Hulk to merely make him flinch like "eh, what the ****" like we'd do to a fly colliding with our face. That was me going for a reasonable underselling of a potential strength feat. Then the actual movie went above my expectations by having Surtur react quite extremely to the impact, and Hulk actually chipping off pieces of Surtur's crown when I thought Surtur would be just absolutely impervious to any sort of lasting damage in his prime form.

That's quite a far cry from anything I'd expect 2008 Hulk to do. Even his A1/AoU feats feel tame by comparison.

Then I know you consider Hulk shaking his head from the lightning blast to be proof he's not mega durable but I mean, okay yeah he's clearing his head big whoop. Not like he seemed even remotely close to be KO'd by anything. He always got right back up, even after being flung by Surtur. There's no lasting damage to anything but his armor. Fenrir managed to pierce his leg after quite some time of biting, and even then there's no lasting wound the next time we see him. His opponents had to work their asses off to just temporarily damage him.

Hulk was an unstoppable beast throughout and was pretty much only in peril by falling into the void. Even then, Loki did fall into the void yet survived. So even that would only be an inconvenience that removes Hulk from the movie's finale but not from the realm of the living.

Again, I don't know, I feel like this Hulk is just on a whole other level. With this Hulk, there's no him having to shield himself from Blonsky's grenade launcher, and no debate or question of him being KO'd by something that's not PIS like with Tony's lucky sucker punch. And none of this is necessarily concrete, he may have not even been canonically power boosted. It may just be Waititi going balls to the wall with how he portrays his characters abilities and the Russo's might not follow suit.

Meh the Surtur thing is being overblown, I was expecting him to literally stumble based on people's comments but he just leaned a bit. Still a good strength feat all the same, Hulk's durability has been off the charts from Avengers until now for the most part I wasn't suprised.

His super jumps impressed me the most and the double fisted ground and pound he used on Thor was sweet.

Last edited:
[BLACKOUT]I do believe Thor himself says "don't shock me again" at some point and most people I think will say it was a "shock" device of some kind without thinking through the ramifications of how off that is give who it's shocking. [/BLACKOUT]
Could be Thor oversimplifing it.

I suppose it rolls better off the tongue than "Don't neurotoxin me again"

I dunno I think my idea not only makes more sense but is also more creatively interesting. It's the Grandmaster, he should be using more next level tech than "disk taser".

Also term shock isn't exclusive to eletricity, there's also neural shock and the state of going into shock during intense pain.

I think he said
"Don't zap me"
if I'm not mistaken.

Me the Surtur thing is being overblown, I was expecting him to literally stumble based on people's comments but he just leaned a bit. Still a good strength feat all the same, Hulk's durability has been off the charts from Avengers until now for the most part I wasn't suprised.

His super jumps impressed me the most and the double fisted ground and pound he used on Thor was sweet.

That's fair about the Surtur stagger not being a huge deal. Glad you can agree with me about Hulk's durability being off the charts.

That being said... The Grandmaster's melting stick... Do we want to assume his tech is an absolute win over mostly everything (like how he can "shock" the God of Thunder of all people)? Or do we want to assume that Thor and Hulk's "damage thresholds" are higher than what the melting stick can dish out and thus it wouldn't be as much of a death sentence to them as it clearly is to other folks?

Might as well make a poll lol. Melting Stick VS. Thor and Hulk. Vote now! :p

That's fair about the Surtur stagger not being a huge deal. Glad you can agree with me about Hulk's durability being off the charts.

That being said... The Grandmaster's melting stick... Do we want to assume his tech is an absolute win over mostly everything (like how he can "shock" the God of Thunder of all people)? Or do we want to assume that Thor and Hulk's "damage thresholds" are higher than what the melting stick can dish out and thus it wouldn't be as much of a death sentence to them as it clearly is to other folks?

Might as well make a poll lol. Melting Stick VS. Thor and Hulk. Vote now! :p

The Grandmaster is an Elder of The Universe so I'm sure he's dealt with Hulk and Thor level beings before. It's only right that he has the type of equipment to subdue them and idk about the melting stick it seemed pretty darn powerful, if it doesn't kill them it would sure hurt them lol

I can say I was definitely pleased with Hulk in this movie. I kind of wish he had more of a memorable action sequence though, because his fight with Fenris was pretty short and while the Arena fight was dope I still wanted a bit more. However, they gave him a lot of personality which I like, because the whole raging monster thing was getting old IMO.

His entire argument with Thor was gold, and I can't wait to see what the Russo's do with him in IW/A4.

My only problem is the fight in the Arena didn't show Hulk getting stronger as he got angrier. He should have been breaking ****, punching a hole in the ground, whatever, and ready to break Thor's skull in half when the grandmaster zapped Thor.

My only problem is the fight in the Arena didn't show Hulk getting stronger as he got angrier. He should have been breaking ****, punching a hole in the ground, whatever, and ready to break Thor's skull in half when the grandmaster zapped Thor.

It clearly showed Hulk's strength increasing when he caught Thor's hammer strike.

It clearly showed Hulk's strength increasing when he caught Thor's hammer strike.

And that's no small feat considering what Thor was able to do with that hammer. That scene of Hulk being sent flying through all those walls was insane.

And that's no small feat considering what Thor was able to do with that hammer. That scene of Hulk being sent flying through all those walls was insane.

Definitely, a director finally gets how a fight between Thor and Hulk shoud go.

When Hulk caught Thor's hammer strike his face got visibly angry and someone sitting behind me said "Uh oh, he made him mad".

Also this movie also leaves the option for a Planet Hulk movie wide open later, if they can buy out the distribution rights from Universal. That's good because I was thinking they were gonna burn all of Planet Hulk here.

I expected a bit more at the end because it obviously showed that Hulk lost, or was going to lose the fight, until the Grandmaster zapped Thor. IIRC in the Planet Hulk or Hulk vs animated movie, Hulk almost kills Thor. I would be okay with ending it the way it did, if it showed that Hulk wasn't really defeated.

I expected a bit more at the end because it obviously showed that Hulk lost, or was going to lose the fight, until the Grandmaster zapped Thor. IIRC in the Planet Hulk or Hulk vs animated movie, Hulk almost kills Thor. I would be okay with ending it the way it did, if it showed that Hulk wasn't really defeated.

The Hulk Vs animated movie is total disrespect to the Thor world, a fight between Thor and Hulk should never be that one sided.

The directors of the film even said they didn't have much knowledge or interest Thor (it showed). In the Planet Hulk animated movie Hulk fought Beta Ray Bill not Thor, but he has the same powerset as Thor except he looks like a horse. In the comics books however it was Silver Surfer that fought Hulk on Saakar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"