• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The HULK Thread - Part 1

The Hulk Vs animated movie is total disrespect to the Thor world, a fight between Thor and Hulk should never be that one sided.

The directors of the film even said they didn't have much knowledge or interest Thor (it showed). In the Planet Hulk animated movie Hulk fought Beta Ray Bill not Thor, but he has the same powerset as Thor except he looks like a horse. In the comics books however it was Silver Surfer that fought Hulk on Saakar.

http://marvelanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Hulk_vs_Thor_(Video)

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/01/christopher-yost-and-craig-kyle-to/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor:_Ragnarok

Both written by the same guys man...

Yeah I know who wrote it, I said the "director" because I find it hard to believe Yost and Kyle would write such a inaccuarate battle.

But they did. They wrote it. No getting around that. Animation is not like film. And yet they also wrote TR. Have you ever listened to the commentary on HULK Vs.? It's quite interesting. Yost and Kyle go into the near year that went into making those mini films and had WAY more say on everything than Sam Liu. I happen to love Thor and love that mini movie. Just as in the comics there's stories of Hulk getting his ass handed to him by Thor and the reverse all the time, with canards and explanations why it's a curb stomp sometimes one way or the other. It's no skin off my nose. I loved the fight for pure spectacle and don't feel it reflects badly on Thor at all since it shows how tough and powerful he is all through it. Hulk won because of the circumstances of the story. It happens in fiction all the time, especially super hero stories. Above all, as the end of TR shows, it's not Thor's power that's important so much as his inherent nobility. And for me... That nobility shined in HULK Vs. as he fought until death, and then came back and entered the fray again, IN the land of the dead.

Now if you want to talk about embarrassing nonsense, as a Superman fan I've put up with the idiotic supremacy of a dude in a flying rat costume and a belt judo flipping a guy that can shatter titanium with his pinkie. :sly: Such is the ups and downs of super hero fandom man.

Loved Hulk in this. He had his actual own personality. You could totally understand Why he wanted to stay on Sakaar.

When the crowd was roaring his name and those green paint bombs were going off he was lapping up the adoration. A very different experience to Earth!

And the part where he reverted back to Banner was really well done. You could see the fear and pain in his face. It was kinda sad really. I felt for the Hulk himself.

See whilst this film is basically a full blown comedy, it did still gave these great details and character moments that worked exclusively the visuals. It's great story telling.

And we finally got an epic Thor vs Hulk fight. I loved how there were different levels to the fight. It wasn't just one pace, with great character moments and real fist pumping parts. It didn't overstate it's welcome and become self indulgent, which is an easy trap to fall into.

Also this movie also leaves the option for a Planet Hulk movie wide open later, if they can buy out the distribution rights from Universal. That's good because I was thinking they were gonna burn all of Planet Hulk here.

I expected a bit more at the end because it obviously showed that Hulk lost, or was going to lose the fight, until the Grandmaster zapped Thor. IIRC in the Planet Hulk or Hulk vs animated movie, Hulk almost kills Thor. I would be okay with ending it the way it did, if it showed that Hulk wasn't really defeated.

I'm not sure that's true. I thought Hulk would have stayed down after the lightning strike, but he got back up. It just didn't seem like Grandmaster wanted to take the chance that Hulk might actually lose, so he tilted the playing field.

The Hulk Vs animated movie is total disrespect to the Thor world, a fight between Thor and Hulk should never be that one sided.

The directors of the film even said they didn't have much knowledge or interest Thor (it showed). In the Planet Hulk animated movie Hulk fought Beta Ray Bill not Thor, but he has the same powerset as Thor except he looks like a horse. In the comics books however it was Silver Surfer that fought Hulk on Saakar.

I noticed that there was a very similar sequence between those two films where Hulk had each one down and was laying clean blows to the face. I actually thought that was going to be the end in Ragnarok, but Thor got up. I'm glad the fight ended ambiguously. With no flight power and no Mjolnir, I really thought Hulk was going to stomp him. That wouldn't have been the best choice for the lead character.

Yeah like I've said, Hulk's durability is off the charts. I don't think he was even close to a KO even after being blasted with lightning twice. The Grandmaster just got cold feet about Thor suddenly showing such power.

Personally I think a proper fight between them could go on nearly endlessly. Hulk could tank the lightning and be kept afloat by his rage. Thor is also remarkably durable when he's not being neurotoxin-shocked into submission so Hulk's meteor drop punch might not have even KO'd him. And if that attack were to fail to do the trick then yeah, the fight could just go on and on and on until they start endangering the audience, which at that point the Grandmaster might just call it off and announce a draw.

Or he'd find it more amusing when they start exploding entire rows of seating with their struggle and let it continue... It's Grandmaster so who's to say for sure?

I've been reading comics since I was eight. In all that time I've never seen a definitive winner between the two without some factor blurring the lines as to who won. With that said, the fight in this movie was EPIC. Worth the price of admission alone.

It has to be said, until GM stepped in, Thor was kicking Hulk's arse.

I'm doubtful now. I was hoping to see versions of Joe Fixit, the Professor, or the Worldbreaker, but Marvel Studios seems wary of letting Hulk stray too far from his general perception as a simpleton.

I'd like to think this is the road to us getting there and that the endgame is Banner not losing his personality when changing into the Hulk.

I've been reading comics since I was eight. In all that time I've never seen a definitive winner between the two without some factor blurring the lines as to who won. With that said, the fight in this movie was EPIC. Worth the price of admission alone.

The fight totally delivered for me. Was even better than expected.

Loved Hulk in this. He had his actual own personality. You could totally understand Why he wanted to stay on Sakaar.

When the crowd was roaring his name and those green paint bombs were going off he was lapping up the adoration. A very different experience to Earth!

And the part where he reverted back to Banner was really well done. You could see the fear and pain in his face. It was kinda sad really. I felt for the Hulk himself.

See whilst this film is basically a full blown comedy, it did still gave these great details and character moments that worked exclusively the visuals. It's great story telling.

And we finally got an epic Thor vs Hulk fight. I loved how there were different levels to the fight. It wasn't just one pace, with great character moments and real fist pumping parts. It didn't overstate it's welcome and become self indulgent, which is an easy trap to fall into.

Totally agree with all of this, there was more nuance and feeling to the movie than people give it credit for.

It has to be said, until GM stepped in, Thor was kicking Hulk's arse.

Yea I was actually quite surprised. At one point in the fight Thor was actually making Hulk look silly! The tide only turned again when Thor tried to do the Black Widow trick.

Yea I was actually quite surprised. At one point in the fight Thor was actually making Hulk look silly! The tide only turned again when Thor tried to do the Black Widow trick.

Yeah leading up to that part was domination!

FINALLY. The conflict finally addressed on screen. Banner hates Hulk and Hulk hates Banner. Is he man or monster, or...is he both?

The scene where Hulk is fighting to remain as Hulk was intense. Made me feel bad for Hulk, like it feels like dying for him. He's able to morph between forms so quickly too which was pretty neat.

The scene where Hulk is fighting to remain as Hulk was intense. Made me feel bad for Hulk, like it feels like dying for him. He's able to morph between forms so quickly too which was pretty neat.

Yeah, you could really feel his pain.

The power levels of these things are inconsistent. Let's not forget that Hulkbuster basically defeated Hulk in Age of Ultron.

Well it's like the comics really. Characters are only as powerful as the plot demands.

The power levels of these things are inconsistent. Let's not forget that Hulkbuster basically defeated Hulk in Age of Ultron.
Mind controlled Hulk, I think that factors in. Hulk wasn't really into the fight mind wise. I think if he actually wants to fight he pushes himself and his body is ready.

Quick question: Has any one found or heard of someone finding the hulk attractive?

Just curious.
Well there was Hulk butt.

219c98dab219a10c70c4ddbf0cb136746a1bcd6ad1a674ae95de44b723ace785.jpg

How are we ranking the Hulk’s appearances from the 3 films he’s been featured in ... I have no interest in seeing this movie as it’s basically a Thor GOTG movie and the comedy annoys me. But curious to see how this Hulk stacks up after his atrocious turn in Ultron following his best cinematic rendition ever in the original Avengers.

Best Hulk by a mile in his entire history. (including the awful TV show)

"DON'T KICK STUFF!"

That one got my pretty hard :hehe:
Same. Sounded cute too. The whole scene made him an endearing character.

The CGI of him in his apartment room was noticeably off in spots. He looked waaaaaaay better in the arena.

I really liked that exchange when Thor told him Earth hated him - was kind of a little "awe poor Hulk" moment. Really changed the perception of the raging beast stereotype.
That's why it's important to make the Hulk a real character with a personality. In the past, there was only one thing to focus on with the Hulk...the CGI. Now the CGI isn't a big deal because that scene is about the Hulk's personality and his relationship with Thor. (that's right...the Hulk actually has a relationship with another character for the first time ever)

CGI is never perfect of course. No one was bothered that Gollum didn't look real in the LOTR films because he was a true character with a personality.

Why not? Hulk's incarnations don't all evolve from childlike intelligence. I assumed that the gladiator
armor and tweaked look meant that we were getting a different personality completely. It's long overdue.

Wait....the Hulk FINALLY gets the ability to speak, have a personality, and a real relationship with other characters after 40 years...and it's "long overdue" for him to move on and be some kind of professor Hulk?

Maybe not all Hulk incarnations are childlike...but the overwhelming majority are. We have Banner for the "intelligence". And Banner is boring most of the time. Making the Hulk more like Banner is the last thing we need.

It clearly showed Hulk's strength increasing when he caught Thor's hammer strike.

I caught that too. Seemed pretty obvious that he was stronger because he was mad. The look on Thor's face told the same story.

Agreed. That was eye rolling.

Now if you want to talk about embarrassing nonsense, as a Superman fan I've put up with the idiotic supremacy of a dude in a flying rat costume and a belt judo flipping a guy that can shatter titanium with his pinkie. :sly: Such is the ups and downs of super hero fandom man.
That drives me crazy too. Those DC animated encounters between Supes and Bats are filled with WIS. The idea that Batman could ever punch Supes is ridiculous...much less actually move him. And there was one scene were Batman threw a smoke bomb or something and just disappeared while Supes couldn't figure out where he went. Really??

I'm glad Daredevil fans don't expect him to be cooler and be able to defeat all the other characters in Marvel like Batman fans do with him. Imagine Marvel writers having to come up with ways where DD defeats Thor and Hulk?

I've recently run into another example of this WIS. Was watching an old episode of Star Trek TNG and any episode where Guinan (Whoopi Goldberg) shows up, all the other characters who are usually smart and resourceful are suddenly reduced to lost confused idiots who need her to be the "wise sage adviser". Lazy irritating writing.

I second all this. Amazing how they managed to fit so many heartfelt things into the movie and still retain that much fun and humor. Another example is Thor and Loki in the elevator talking about their relationship...followed by "Get Help". It all worked perfectly.

does some grayness happen at all during the movie or no? I hope this does happen someday.

But they did. They wrote it. No getting around that. Animation is not like film. And yet they also wrote TR. Have you ever listened to the commentary on HULK Vs.? It's quite interesting. Yost and Kyle go into the near year that went into making those mini films and had WAY more say on everything than Sam Liu. I happen to love Thor and love that mini movie. Just as in the comics there's stories of Hulk getting his ass handed to him by Thor and the reverse all the time, with canards and explanations why it's a curb stomp sometimes one way or the other. It's no skin off my nose. I loved the fight for pure spectacle and don't feel it reflects badly on Thor at all since it shows how tough and powerful he is all through it. Hulk won because of the circumstances of the story. It happens in fiction all the time, especially super hero stories. Above all, as the end of TR shows, it's not Thor's power that's important so much as his inherent nobility. And for me... That nobility shined in HULK Vs. as he fought until death, and then came back and entered the fray again, IN the land of the dead.

Well Yost and Kyle will always get a big F you from me, I was trying not to pin the blame entirely on them but f*** them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"