"The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know if this is a full blown Joker, or if it'll be more watered down version, like Ledger's or Azzarello. Will it be more of a clown, or just a regular gangster with scars?

Kinda expect the latter but hope for the former. Still, I love Nolan's Joker the most out all the live action interpretations.

That’s just ****ing idiotic.

The general audience won’t understand. It’ll confuse the hell out of them!

I don't think it will, but we'll see. Maybe they'll make it abundantly clear in the marketing.

I don't think it will, but we'll see. Maybe they'll make it abundantly clear in the marketing.

They’d better. Because most people don’t pay a damned bit of attention to this kind of convoluted planning. All they’ll see is two Joker movies, starring different actors, being made at the same time, with probable close release windows, one in a continuity nobody likes, and the other outside that continuity completely. And with maybe two completely different Batmans, Gordons, Falcones, etc. How will they convincingly show the regular casual film goer that the two projects have nothing to do with one another? Because The Joker is a green haired, white skinned, red lipped maniac in any continuity. How on earth can they differentiate Phoenix from Leto, without moving too far away from the character’s central aesthetics and characterisation?

The whole thing is an utter farce.

They’d better. Because most people don’t pay a damned bit of attention to this kind of convoluted planning. All they’ll see is two Joker movies, starring different actors, being made at the same time, with probable close release windows, one in a continuity nobody likes, and the other outside that continuity completely. And with maybe two completely different Batmans, Gordons, Falcones, etc. How will they convincingly show the regular casual film goer that the two projects have nothing to do with one another?

The whole thing is an utter farce.

Like you said, most people don't pay attention to this stuff. They don't see two Joker movies, they only see the one that is coming out soon. The Leto movie doesn't even have a writer in place, so I doubt there will be "kissing" release dates. With what we know so far this Phoenix movie won't feature too many big names like Gordon or Falcone, mainly new characters.

If this is a hit then Leto is done in my opinion. Suicide Squad's Joker isn't popular enough to keep around if Phoenix nails it.

They’d better. Because most people don’t pay a damned bit of attention to this kind of convoluted planning. All they’ll see is two Joker movies, starring different actors, being made at the same time, with probable close release windows, one in a continuity nobody likes, and the other outside that continuity completely. And with maybe two completely different Batmans, Gordons, Falcones, etc. How will they convincingly show the regular casual film goer that the two projects have nothing to do with one another?

I think it’s unlikely for repeat characters to show up anytime soon. Whenever Reeves Batman gets off the ground, I fully trust none of his characters will be clashing with any alternate iterations from Phillips’ film.

With this greenlight Leto’s film is pushed in development hell, WB awaits the fan response to both the Joker and Batman solo films. Then and only then, do I see them planning a possible convergence.

And I’m cool with that. Much like how the MCU built up anticipation for the beloved superheroes to finally meet up, imagine if Joaquin’s Joker is a smash and [insert Reeves’ Bruce here] Batman is a grand slam too. May take a couple of years, but that could reach the levels of insane hype that TDK did. The marketing could be centered around the inevitable first meeting between the most iconic CB rivalry.

One can dream…

Like you said, most people don't pay attention to this stuff. They don't see two Joker movies, they only see the one that is coming out soon. The Leto movie doesn't even have a writer in place, so I doubt there will be "kissing" release dates. With what we know so far this Phoenix movie won't feature too many big names like Gordon or Falcone, mainly new characters.

Warners literally stated that a Leto Joker movie was coming relatively soon. And what if Phoenix is a hit outside the DCEU? What does that do to the whole continuity going forward? Surely if the Phoenix film is out first and is a hit, Leto is gone, and the DCEU is even deader than it is now?

Much like how the MCU built up anticipation for the beloved superheroes to finally meet up, imagine if Joaquin’s Joker is a smash and [insert Reeves’ Bruce here] Batman is a grand slam too. May take a couple of years, but that could reach the levels of insane hype that TDK did. The marketing could be centered around the inevitable first meeting between the most iconic CB rivalry.

One can dream…

Don't get my hopes up!

Warners literally stated that a Leto Joker movie was coming relatively soon. And what if Phoenix is a hit outside the DCEU? What does that do to the whole continuity going forward? Surely if the Phoenix film is out first and is a hit, Leto is gone, and the DCEU is even deader than it is now?

All we know is they're looking for a writer. That means the project can still easily be axed. I don't know what this will do with the DCEU but I suspect very little. Frankly I don't really care. I'm more interested in this movie than anything in the DCEU besides the solo Batman film.

I think it’s unlikely for repeat characters to show up anytime soon. Whenever Reeves Batman gets off the ground, I fully trust none of his characters will be clashing with any alternate iterations from Phillips’ film.

With this greenlight Leto’s film is pushed in development hell, WB awaits the fan response to both the Joker and Batman solo films. Then and only then, do I see them planning a possible convergence.

And I’m cool with that. Much like how the MCU built up anticipation for the beloved superheroes to finally meet up, imagine if Joaquin’s Joker is a smash and [insert Reeves’ Bruce here] Batman is a grand slam too. May take a couple of years, but that could reach the levels of insane hype that TDK did. The marketing could be centered around the inevitable first meeting between the most iconic CB rivalry.

One can dream…

Sounds awfully like a complete reboot to me... which I’d be one thousand percent happy about!

Leto's movie won't be happening anytime soon. He's pretending to be a vampire for a year before Morbius even kicks off.

One can dream…
Yes PLEASE :hmr:
That would be incredible

Was the audience confused by two different takes on Quicksilver in the same year? Heck, there are probably people who still think the DCEU is connected to the Arrowverse. If fickle comic fans can embrace the concept of the multiverse, then who are we to say what the commoner or average moviegoer will think? As far as they're concerned, it'll just be another comic book movie.

Or maybe that was just hyperbole.

I don’t think the DCEU is dead at all.
Aquaman is coming out this year.
Wonder Woman is filming right now.
Birds of Prey is gonna start production in January.
The Flash seems to be moving forward.
:shrug:

Last edited:
I don’t think the DCEU is dead at all.
Aquaman is coming out this year.
Wonder Woman is film right now.
Birds of Prey is gonna start production in January.
The Flash seems to be moving forward.
:shrug:
Along with Batman, which we don't know if its connected or not, which I kinda imagine has to be, unless they want three separate films in three different Bat-Universes.

I'm really confused, right now. :hehe:

Just give me an actual good DC movie. I don't give a s*** what universe it's in.

Was the audience confused by two different takes on Quicksilver in the same year?
Quicksilver is not as widely recognized as the Joker. They also barely even use his name in both movies.

He's just "fast superpowered guy" to the general audience lmfao.

I bet you don’t even see him in any white makeup until the last 15 minutes. Of course those 15 minutes will be used in the marketing.

I bet you don’t even see him in any white makeup until the last 15 minutes. Of course those 15 minutes will be used in the marketing.

This isn't Marvel on Netflix.

I'm here for Phoenix.

I'd rather have this film rather than the Jared leto one. The Jared Leto kind of feels pointless TBH. Just pick one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"