The Justice League Skepticism thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I may've liked the trailer slightly more if they got the Beatles version of "Come Together" instead of a corny cover version.

On the other hand, the last thing I'd want is for The Beatles to be associated with a Snyder DCEU film.

Snyder's colors do pop out--problem is he seldom uses them. I don't know why he hates colors.

Honestly, I may've liked the trailer slightly more if they got the Beatles version of "Come Together" instead of a corny cover version.

On the other hand, the last thing I'd want is for The Beatles to be associated with a Snyder DCEU film.

Yes, one of the rare times where I regret them releasing the music to be used for promotional material.

0r5s3jV.gif

Yep. Looks like the darkness for action scenes continue too.

BatmanSuperman_MPC_VFX_ITW_16.jpg

At least the bottom shot is pretty cool. The Momoa one is butt ugly. It's not well framed, the landscape looks like something out of a 90's video game. Snyder is literally incapable of framing a good action scene without making it dark, grainy, blurry or all of the above. Even the daytime scenes in Man of Steel suffer from this.

Whoever it is that deals specifically with creating fire in these movies needs fired more than the rest. It's looked awful in all 3 movies Snyders done

I just don't like that he reduces everything to two freaking colors.

The CGI looks like it's even worse than Batman v Superman. How is that even possible?

The color palette for this movie just mind-boggling to me. This isn't a Batman movie. It's the Justice League. You should be able to see everything that's going on.

What is it with Snyder and his dark colors and lighting for these films?

He tripled down on it. It's a heavy metal movie, not JL-inspired.

Whoever it is that deals specifically with creating fire in these movies needs fired more than the rest. It's looked awful in all 3 movies Snyders done

I cut him some slack because I know fire is incredibly hard to simulate, but I do agree that it looks pretty bad. It doesn't help that he always wants the entire landscape to be on fire in action scenes.

The trailer was mediocre at best and abysmal at worst. The CGI looks fake as hell (shocker) and the attempts at humor were poor. Maybe it will all turn okay but right now I just wish they'd scrap the whole thing and start over.

And oh yeah, regarding the lack of Superman. It's annoying of course, but then, if this thing is as bad as it looks, maybe it's a good thing Big Blue might not show up until the last 5 minutes.

Does anyone even miss Superman, though? Across 2 movies, he's hardly uttered a line of dialogue and has no personality to speak of. I can't see him making a genuine dramatic impact when he does return, no matter what form that takes.

Does anyone even miss Superman, though? Across 2 movies, he's hardly uttered a line of dialogue and has no personality to speak of. I can't see him making a genuine dramatic impact when he does return, no matter what form that takes.

They're going to be even more pissed when he's mind-controlled for a portion of his return.

That's the sad thing about the whole DCEU. Not once did I even notice he was missing. The grandfather of all superheroes, the one who for decades was the symbol for all things comic books, who's absence is now just a shrug of the shoulders.

Wasn't sure where else to put this, because it's less skepticism and more...a concern that a good chunk of this could be exposition-heavy, mostly for introducing characters, less so the plot.

I mean, we're getting introductions to Aqauaman, Mera and Atlantis, Cyborg, Flash (and appearances by Harry Allen and probably Iris), Gordon. I don't know how much time, if at all, will be devoted to brief origin stories or it they'll be in vignettes like we got for Suicide Squad, but obviously this is of a much bigger scale, so I can't expect the film to just handle the likes of Victor and Barry in seconds.

To compare to The Avengers, that film had the advantage of not needing to spend a large amount of time explaining each character because we'd been following them throughout their solo films leading up to his. I mean, sure, we got sort of a re-introduction to Bruce Banner and even Hawkeye's family history was saved for Age of Ultron- though we did get his history with Natasha- but that film could get right to the story.

And I guess that's a concern I have with Justice League where, on top of continuing the plot from Dawn of Justice and looking to be grand in scale, you want the audience to care about these new characters, so just wondering how much time could be devoted to introductions.

Wasn't sure where else to put this, because it's less skepticism and more...a concern that a good chunk of this could be exposition-heavy, mostly for introducing characters, less so the plot.

I mean, we're getting introductions to Aqauaman, Mera and Atlantis, Cyborg, Flash (and appearances by Harry Allen and probably Iris), Gordon. I don't know how much time, if at all, will be devoted to brief origin stories or it they'll be in vignettes like we got for Suicide Squad, but obviously this is of a much bigger scale, so I can't expect the film to just handle the likes of Victor and Barry in seconds.

To compare to The Avengers, that film had the advantage of not needing to spend a large amount of time explaining each character because we'd been following them throughout their solo films leading up to his. I mean, sure, we got sort of a re-introduction to Bruce Banner and even Hawkeye's family history was saved for Age of Ultron- though we did get his history with Natasha- but that film could get right to the story.

And I guess that's a concern I have with Justice League where, on top of continuing the plot from Dawn of Justice and looking to be grand in scale, you want the audience to care about these new characters, so just wondering how much time could be devoted to introductions.

If you need that element to truly enjoy the film - this is probably not going to be the film for you.

It will inevitably be a film that one has to take at face value and you must love heavy doses of green screen and brimstone.

and that's the problem with introducing 5 larger than life characters/worlds/etc. in one movie

For me, it's the principle of the thing. Superman is my favorite character and is the reason a lot of these other characters exist. It's not the Justice League without him. This Superman may be a disappointment in my eyes, but he's still Superman. He should be recruiting with Batman and Wonder Woman.

I think Avengers worked perfectly fine even if you didn't watch any of solo films. It spends roughly 30 minutes introducing every character and bringing them together.

I think Avengers worked perfectly fine even if you didn't watch any of solo films. It spends roughly 30 minutes introducing every character and bringing them together.

Oh, no doubt. And looking at the box office results, it's clear there are plenty of people who saw that film that didn't see the other lead-up films.

If you need that element to truly enjoy the film - this is probably not going to be the film for you.

Luckily, I didn't say that was needed to enjoy the film. I certainly don't think it's asking too much to care about the characters as one of many factors in enjoying a film- not the defining factor in enjoying a film.

Avengers worked even if you havent seen all the solo films because the movie didn't try and be anything more than it was. It delivered on the action, humor, and spectacle that was promised. And it did it at a lightning pace
I think people who didn't see all or most of the MCU films didn't really care because they were too busy going like "Oh wow look at that effect" or "Wow that's funny

If you set this at day, it could've run the danger of being compared to the Avengers, guys.

:lmao: I can already envision the inevitable comparisons in reviews, and I doubt it's gonna be pretty. Get ready for the typical "Why can't they review the movie on it's own terms!?!?!?" from the usual suspects.

If someone who liked the trailer wants to come in and discuss it, I'll happily do so as long as they're polite. I have no intention of setting foot in the Excitement Thread, however, because in my experience, the people who like these movies are the obnoxious ones.

I've got big issues with what they're doing and any time I expressed them previously I was shouted down by people who are clearly far too emotionally invested in the whole thing to be rational, so trust me I think this is best

Both of your experiences (as well as my own) speak to the heart of the issue - there's a large enough contingent of fans who interpret criticism or skepticism towards these movies as a personal affront. Needless to say, that makes civil discourse pretty much impossible.

Avengers by its nature was created as a stand alone movie with pieces linking to the solo films. It's not a sequel, at least not in the traditional sense, it's more of a follow up movie. It's more along the lines of a traditional ensemble movie about getting a group of misfits together. JL is a direct sequel in comparison, with story threads left over from BvS that need to be addressed, on top of having to introduce a bunch of characters. Because of that JL is going to have the problem of not being accessible to people who haven't already seen MoS and BvS. Avengers didn't have that problem, it was built as as both a follow up to the 4 solo movies and as its own thing, and it had intentional broad appeal. This on the other hand is preaching to the converted.

This on the other hand is preaching to the converted.
I'm posting every now and again here because I feel the opposite.
I'm sure from a visual perspective it "is preaching to the converted".

Avengers worked even if you haven't seen all the solo films because the movie didn't try and be anything more than it was. It delivered on the action, humor, and spectacle that was promised. And it did it at a lightning pace
Dunno about lightning pace. I also remember the introduction portion being longer than half an hour.

Avengers by its nature was created as a stand alone movie with pieces linking to the solo films. It's not a sequel, at least not in the traditional sense, it's more of a follow up movie. It's more along the lines of a traditional ensemble movie about getting a group of misfits together. JL is a direct sequel in comparison, with story threads left over from BvS that need to be addressed, on top of having to introduce a bunch of characters. Because of that JL is going to have the problem of not being accessible to people who haven't already seen MoS and BvS. Avengers didn't have that problem, it was built as as both a follow up to the 4 solo movies and as its own thing, and it had intentional broad appeal. This on the other hand is preaching to the converted.
:up: And it's yet another reason why death of Superman is a disastrous decision in DCEU. Unnecessary overcomplication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"