The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait is "Fant4stic" even a legally binding Marvel name???

Meaning does Marvel have to even recognize it as one of their IP's by law?

Example:
Can Sony and Fox start calling their films EX-Men, Spyder-man?

Trademarks protect the names of the franchises and character, but the likenesses are also under copyright laws. Because they are using the Marvel fanfare, they are acknowledging that Marvel owns the rights to the characters, not the film rights, but the actual IP rights.

Well the fact that this is the ONLY film I've even known to have the director and the executive producer to a commentary ON A TEASER TRAILER, shows how deep the rut was for Fox to dig out of.

And the fact that they have to name drop Stan Lee and how he gave his approval of the project, shows how low these folks will get. Stan Lee is one of the nicest most unassuming people you meet. Does anyone think Stan Lee is going to come out and say "I hate Josh Trank's vision of this film. This movie is going to suck. I totally disapprove of what he did."

But they sure seem to be pushing that this film is "Stan Lee approved" and that it is "from the studio that brought you Days of Future Past."

I've never seen a teaser trailer pimp itself out to the public more than this one.

Again, if i knew nothing of the Fantastic Four, or anything about these characters, I can see where people would say "hey that looks interesting". Unfortunately we don't live in a vacuum.

To be fair, he did recently crap on Sony, and said they should give the rights back to Marvel.

After seeing the shocking amount of positive reactions to this film, before AND after the teaser, I'm becoming convinced that this will be a hit. And that saddens me deeply.

Just stick to your guns man.

I'll continue supporting anything accept Sony and Fox.

After seeing the shocking amount of positive reactions to this film, before AND after the teaser, I'm becoming convinced that this will be a hit. And that saddens me deeply.

What will sadden me more - if this is a hit, will Marvel Comics bring the Ultimate Fantastic Four back to replace the classic version? That would truly be a crime.

This is a family unfriendly reboot of a failed franchise that bears zero resemblance to the classic source material. Who the hell is going to see it?

A good chunk of the positive responses are a not so subtle dig at the MCU and its huge fanbase. Those comments aren't going to translate into actual theater ticket purchases.

This is a family unfriendly reboot of a failed franchise that bears zero resemblance to the classic source material. Who the hell is going to see it?

A good chunk of the positive responses are a not so subtle dig at the MCU and its huge fanbase. Those comments aren't going to translate into actual theater ticket purchases.

People who love dark and gritty comic book movies. They're out there. They do exist. The film won't be bigger than any of MCU's releases this year(yes, Ant-man will outgross it) but its not going to be a total flop.

Yeah. But you never know.

I just have a really bad feeling about this film, and the future of the FF.

What will sadden me more - if this is a hit, will Marvel Comics bring the Ultimate Fantastic Four back to replace the classic version? That would truly be a crime.

No, I heard Joe Quesada speaking on this, that as a company they are not going to advertise their competition and this is their competition. They have a partnership with Sony, a strained one yes, but a partnership none the less. Marvel literally gets nothing out of this film.

Sorry my mistake on the Quesada quote he was talking about DC, and was in context of him talking about Man of Steel. I was looking up the quote that I saw on CBM and it was taken out of context.

As I said before if Fox couldn't get Days of Future Past to 250 million there is little chance they can get Fantastic Four to even 150 million. I could be dead wrong and it could benefit from good reviews and being one of the few semi appealing things released in August but that is my thought right now. The budget looks like it's about 75-80 million so even 110-130 million might be enough to make it a hit when you factor in overseas numbers. Fox movies have been doing very well overseas.

No you are right. This won't be a smash hit, but it may not be a flop.

In a perfect world, it would make under 350 million, as the other films did.

At the very least, under $400 million, which no Fox cbm outside of DOFP has been able to surpass.

Oh I think it will be under 350 or 400. What ISS is saying is that because of the low budget this film can do poorly and still green light a sequel with over seas money.

Chronicle made 126M WW. Now with the FF name, this film could do 3 times as much and still be under 400M.

I've talked to a couple of friends over the last few hours about their thoughts about the trailer. all of them with knowledge of the source material, mind you. It's hard to find people who haven't read Marvel comics at one point in their lives (and the age range I'm talking about here is mid-twenties to early sixties) and Ben Grimm has been a favorite with a lot of them.
There was not one (1) positive reaction to the trailer. I sometimes forget how much of a parallel society this board is.
I can't see this movie make anything at the box office.

I've talked to a couple of friends over the last few hours about their thoughts about the trailer. all of them with knowledge of the source material, mind you. It's hard to find people who haven't read Marvel comics at one point in their lives (and the age range I'm talking about here is mid-twenties to early sixties) and Ben Grimm has been a favorite with a lot of them.
There was not one (1) positive reaction to the trailer. I sometimes forget how much of a parallel society this board is.
I can't see this movie make anything at the box office.
On the other hand, I know quite a few people who know nothing about Ant Man or FF and say this looks to be the better of the two movies.

Hmph, I was just reviewing JeremyJahns take on this trailer on youtube and in the beginning of the video he talks about his zombie apocalypse dream and went on about the trailer which he basically liked but as you read the comments below most people are saying "Eff that film man, tell us about your Zombie apocalypse dream!".

So if nothing else "Zombie Apocalypse Dream" >>>>> Fant4stic trailer.

On the other hand, I know quite a few people who know nothing about Ant Man or FF and say this looks to be the better of the two movies.

With Fox "borrowing" from everything (Nolan, Star Trek, DOFP, I am number 4, Chronicle, etc) to make this trailer accept the actual F4 source why is that a surprise?

With Fox "borrowing" from everything (Nolan, Star Trek, DOFP, I am number 4, Chronicle, etc) to make this trailer accept the actual F4 source why is that a surprise?
I'm not saying it is a surprise, but a lot of people seem hell-bend on the idea that no one is going to watch this movie because it is not the version of FF that they want to see. I think this movie might make more money than people are expecting it to right now.

Deleted--I was quoting someone's hypothetical deal. LOL.

Last edited:
People who love dark and gritty comic book movies. They're out there. They do exist. The film won't be bigger than any of MCU's releases this year(yes, Ant-man will outgross it) but its not going to be a total flop.

I get that. But why the hell would fans of dark and gritty comicbook movies want to see a Fantastic Four film in which the classic source material has been mangled beyond recognition to fit with that tone. Wouldn't they rather watch Daredevil and AKA: Jessica Jones on Netflix? Or wait for Deadpool and Suicide Squad?

I wonder if the reason Fox wants F4 to be darker and grittier is because they wanted to have to crossover between F4 and X-Men in the future, and as we all know Bryan Singer's X-Men doesn't have anything resembling cosmic in it. Even the Phoenix Force was reduced to a crazed Jean Grey with out-of-control powers. So in order for F4 to be able to do a crossover, they have to tone it down massively. However, I don't see how Trank is able to ever bring fantastical elements like SS, Mole Man, and Galactus to his realistic take of F4; if Galactus in Tim Story's movie was just a cloud, then maybe in Trank's version it'd be a group of hackers who vowed to destroy the cyberspace as we know it. Hey, if Doom is the handle of a hacker, it doesn't seemed far-fetch at all.

It pains me on a deep spiritual level but you're probably right. Look at the bank a crapfest like Transformers brings home.
Exactly. Now I think the difference with those is that they are bad movies any way you look at it and this might be a good movie just not a good FF movie for some instead. Either way, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Absolutely wrong.

Marvel offered to let Fox keep daredevil in exchange for Galactus, Silver surfer and the Watcher. Fox said no.

They weren't offering Fox Daredevil in exchange for something they had the right to use anyway.

Did you quote the wrong post?

Absolutely wrong.

Marvel offered to let Fox keep daredevil in exchange for Galactus, Silver surfer and the Watcher. Fox said no.

They weren't offering Fox Daredevil in exchange for something they had the right to use anyway.

Fox had the right to use it but didn't have the time to get a production going that would have allowed them to keep it without that extension from Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"