The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that. But why the hell would fans of dark and gritty comicbook movies want to see a Fantastic Four film in which the classic source material has been mangled beyond recognition to fit with that tone. Wouldn't they rather watch Daredevil and AKA: Jessica Jones on Netflix? Or wait for Deadpool and Suicide Squad?

Dark and gritty = mature and intellectual in a lot of peoples minds. It's why so many Nolan fanboys started sneering at everyone after TDK (and still do to this day). They felt they had the intellectually superior superhero movie and have lorded it over the rabble ever since.

It pains me on a deep spiritual level but you're probably right. Look at the bank a crapfest like Transformers brings home.

Preach!

As you can see by the name I'm a big G1 Transformers fan but I loath Bay's take on them. So if I can get over that, then this film making a profit will be a cake walk. And like Bayformers I'll continue not to support this franchise as long as it's in it current hands.

Yeah, I'm already seeing people say just how 'cinematic' all those dark hallways look.

On the other hand, I know quite a few people who know nothing about Ant Man or FF and say this looks to be the better of the two movies.

I think a better measurement is how many people swore that Guardians of the Galaxy would be Marvel's first flop. I don't have enough time in the day to go back and link all the posts talking about how that film was going to do Incredible Hulk or worse numbers.

On the other hand, I know quite a few people who know nothing about Ant Man or FF and say this looks to be the better of the two movies.

The Ant-Man trailer sent out mixed messages whereas this teaser is loud and clear about what this film is going for. I don't blame anyone without prior knowledge for that decision.

I been hearing thru the grapevine that FOX is close to getting that Xmen tv rights deal done. Anybody heard anything on this? If so that means some type of deal is being made with Marvel/Disney. Just curious if these reports are true.

To be fair, he did recently crap on Sony, and said they should give the rights back to Marvel.

I never read anything of Stan ever crapping on Fox. He seemed to be pretty happy/content with Fox creative direction with their comic films.

Absolutely wrong.

Marvel offered to let Fox keep daredevil in exchange for Galactus, Silver surfer and the Watcher. Fox said no.

They weren't offering Fox Daredevil in exchange for something they had the right to use anyway.

Krystal, that was another deal Marvel tried to make with Fox (regarding Fox keeping Daredevil rights in exchange for Marvel getting the rights back for Silver Surfer & Galactus), which didn't work out. The person you were commenting on was speculating based on the news that Fox recently has requested from Marvel the ability to do a live action TV. show on X-Men. It seems they require Marvel's permission, and he was saying that Marvel should use Silver Surfer, Galactus & others in a trade for giving that permission.

Surfer

JAK®;30553417 said:
The Ant-Man trailer sent out mixed messages whereas this teaser is loud and clear about what this film is going for. I don't blame anyone without prior knowledge for that decision.
Yeah that's fair. ;)

Pretty sad to me that this film is being compared to Ant-Man to make its advocates feel better. Really? Ant-Man?

The FF are a premier Marvel property. Ant-Man has been a joke of a character for years but it's what Marvel Studios has to work with.

Having said that I was much more intrigued by the fathers and daughters angle in the Ant-Man trailer than this Nolan knock-off garbage.

I been hearing thru the grapevine that FOX is close to getting that Xmen tv rights deal done. Anybody heard anything on this? If so that means some type of deal is being made with Marvel/Disney. Just curious if these reports are true.

Fox really wants to do it and are rearing to go but I read that Marvel needs to sign off on it before it becomes a reality. Fox has to give up something for that to happen. If they don't then Marvel is returning to the idiocy that got itself in this mess to begin with.

I think what is really going to sell Antman is its connection to the MCU. There's going to be lots of backstory there. And it will likely get some shout outs from AOU. Its got that going for it. If its a good film, the it will sell its self obviously.

Marvel letting Fox have anything of value in exchange for the rights Shi'ar is patently absurd.

Especially when Shi'ar's major value is their connection to the X-Men. If you can't have the X-Men, why the heck would you want the Shi'ar?

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this movie is going to be mildly successful, but that still doesn't change the fact that we are not getting a legitimate Fantastic Four movie. The telling signs are when you have people saying things like, I never liked the Fantastic Four comic, but this trailer looks good. So, basically they are going to see a movie that appeals to them that does not relate to the Fantastic Four.

Surfer

I think what is really going to sell Antman is its connection to the MCU. There's going to be lots of backstory there. And it will likely get some shout outs from AOU. Its got that going for it. If its a good film, the it will sell its self obviously.

Agreed. But if we want to compare the FF to another Marvel property then it should be compared to the Avengers. The comparison to Ant-Man is completely disingenuous. If Ant-Man actually succeeds as a film it will be yet another testament to Marvel Studios' ingenuity. At least the Ant-Man film is not afraid of what it is by pretending to be something else.

Wait what? Who said Marvel should trade the X-Men TV rights for the Shi'ar?

Fox really wants to do it and are rearing to go but I read that Marvel needs to sign off on it before it becomes a reality. Fox has to give up something for that to happen. If they don't then Marvel is returning to the idiocy that got itself in this mess to begin with.

Fortunately, I doubt Disney would let Marvel make a dumb deal, especially since Disney is interested in getting back all the IP from other studios. And Marvel is no longer working with Avi Arad, who helped created those lopsided deals years ago.

Fortunately, I doubt Disney would let Marvel make a dumb deal, especially since Disney is interested in getting back all the IP from other studios. And Marvel is no longer working with Avi Arad, who helped created those lopsided deals years ago.

I guess Avi is too busy destroying Spider-Man.

Under the watchful eye of Daddy Disney, no way are they gonna get the bad end of anymore deals. That's for sure. But the latest I have heard is that they are close. If true, then Marvel is definitely getting something big in return. What could FOX offer other than some character rights.

Absolutely wrong.

Marvel offered to let Fox keep daredevil in exchange for Galactus, Silver surfer and the Watcher. Fox said no.

They weren't offering Fox Daredevil in exchange for something they had the right to use anyway.

But really, can you blame Fox? I would have given up Daredevil too. LOL Who the hell cares about Daredevil, when you can keep better characters.

Agreed. But if we want to compare the FF to another Marvel property then it should be compared to the Avengers. The comparison to Ant-Man is completely disingenuous. If Ant-Man actually succeeds as a film it will be yet another testament to Marvel Studios' ingenuity. At least the Ant-Man film is not afraid of what it is by pretending to be something else.

FF should be compared to GOTG, which became a success by being true to its source material and did not compromised its integrity by becoming grounded and realistic.

But really, can you blame Fox? I would have given up Daredevil too. LOL Who the hell cares about Daredevil, when you can keep better characters.

When DD becomes a successful show on Netflix, Fox would be kicking themselves for not holding on to the rights in the first place.

FF should be compared to GOTG, which became a success by being true to its source material and did not compromised its integrity by becoming grounded and realistic.

Even that is a stretch to me. Marvel took an obscure property and made it into a smash hit. Fox takes a premier property and flushes it down the toilet.

Now I love the Avengers but historically the FF has been one of Marvel's crown jewels. Read the first 100 issues of Fantastic Four and then read the first 100 issues of Avengers and it's clear which property was superior.

As I said before if Fox couldn't get Days of Future Past to 250 million there is little chance they can get Fantastic Four to even 150 million. I could be dead wrong and it could benefit from good reviews and being one of the few semi appealing things released in August but that is my thought right now. The budget looks like it's about 75-80 million so even 110-130 million might be enough to make it a hit when you factor in overseas numbers. Fox movies have been doing very well overseas.

It's kind of brilliant actually. If this movie was made for up to say $90 million, any comic book film, including the FF are guaranteed to make that back domestically, and if not like you said the worldwide market will more than make up to cover the difference.

Or the world isn't enthused with the bleaker look to this movie. Global audiences respond to big, loud, and colorful types of name movies. So this aspect is uncertain.

I have to give Fox that credit as to how to they held onto the rights. It's what Sony should have stuck to their guns when they were about to make ASM that was budgeted at $90 million. Granted, it would have looked as bad if not worse than this but they still would have made a much bigger profit and continue that with ASM2 by giving it a little more money. But since Sony and the people who make those films are a bunch of clueless idiots they didn't do that. So for as much as we rag on Fox, they were smart enough to stick to their guns.

Daredevil is a fantastic character with a huge amount of unexplored potential. I personally prefer him to Batman which whom he often draws comparisons. If audiences think he's lame well just like the FF we have yet again Fox to thank for that and the two God awful films they gave us in Daredevil and Elektra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"