The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that there's some positive reactions to the teaser trailer shown me that some people will like anything that is "grounded" and "realistic", even if the source material doesn't call for it.

Though Perlmutter will want to wet his beak on revenue from the TV show, I doubt money alone will get this deal done. Marvel asked for Galactus and the Surfer as compensation for merely extending the Daredevil contract. So there's your starting point.

If Marvel get back Galactus and Surfer that would be a huge win for the GOTG and the Infinity War franchises.

If Marvel get back Galactus and Surfer that would be a huge win for the GOTG and the Infinity War franchises.

To me, it'd be a concession if Marvel only asked for Galactus and SS in exchange for the TV rights; Fox can make tons of money if they get to start making X-Men series, and Marvel can't just let them have it for peanuts.

What in the H does Marvel need the Shiar or Brood for? They don't, the Shiar are not important. Marvell has the rites to the Skrull race but not Superskrull. This is their chance to get Galactus and SS back..

To me, it'd be a concession if Marvel only asked for Galactus and SS in exchange for the TV rights; Fox can make tons of money if they get to start making X-Men series, and Marvel can't just let them have it for peanuts.

What about.

Doom - Rights to use not exclusive. Marvel can make their own version.
Galactus - Fox relinquishes rights
Surfer - Fox relinquishes rights
Beast/Hank McCoy - Rights to use not exclusive. Marvel can make their own version.

Mutants - Marvel can use the term mutant to describe certain characters, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, McCoy, Namor.

The fact that there's some positive reactions to the teaser trailer shown me that some people will like anything that is "grounded" and "realistic", even if the source material doesn't call for it.
It's actually because of low standards. After all the negativity, people are surprised that it looks like an actual movie, and they interpret that as it actually looking good.

Even if the source material was dark and realistic this trailer would have been bland and uninspired.

Though Perlmutter will want to wet his beak on revenue from the TV show, I doubt money alone will get this deal done. Marvel asked for Galactus and the Surfer as compensation for merely extending the Daredevil contract. So there's your starting point.

Yup, I would think Galactus and the Surfer would still be on Marvel's wish list in any negotiations. Considering it looks like Fox want the series big time, whereas with Daredevil they delayed, were hesitant and when Slade walked on them it was too late to proceed, the Mouse might well ask for more supporting characters from both franchises that Fox have little or no use for.

Given the tone of Trank's FF (going by the trailer) Galactus, the Surfer and a few other 'out there' FF related characters might be up for grabs. With X-Men most of their cosmic related stuff could be on the table since they have never even looked at going there at all with them.

The reason why people hate this so much is because it's made by Fox. It isn't the quality of the film, it's what it represents.

You are misreading this. Entirely.

The reason why people "hate this so much" is becuz...

It does not represent the essential spirit of the Fantastic Four to them.

period.

If you actually look at what people are "hating so much" about this, it all falls directly under this umbrella.

You are misreading this. Entirely.

The reason why people "hate this so much" is becuz...

It does not represent the essential spirit of the Fantastic Four to them.

period.

If you actually look at what people are "hating so much" about this, it all falls directly under this umbrella.

Yep! I can't believe people can't see that. I actually think it will be a good movie but just ain't supporting it because it's not going to be a good Fantastic Four movie. People who want to make this look like a Marvel Studios brown fest just don't get it at all.

The FF rights aren't for sale. This film will not suddenly change hands and be released by Disney in the MCU when it's in post production. Fox is not desperate enough for the X-Men TV rights that they're going to hand over the distribution rights to a summer movie that they already invested millions in. No sane company does that.
Why would we think that any deal about FF rights for X-Men TV rights would have to do with handing things over like what you are saying? Couldn't the whole thing take place after the summer, after this movie has come out? And be much more likely, even, if this movie does not ring any bells at the box office?

And let's say it is the way you seem to assume it here...well no sane company would want to be stuck with having to promote and release something that only stood a fair chance of making them a small amount of profit and could very likely end up in overall loss at the box office? All these things are unknowns.
It comes down to your own judgement on the situation. It could be that getting this off their hands would be in their best interests. Personally, I agree with you, I don't think that they'll turn over the movie at this point. But like I said, I don't understand why that is some kind of either/or situation for you to think about. Lots of possibilities and permutations at play.

This is the reboot we're getting. Fox isn't going to repeat Sony's mistakes and reboot a reboot. Fans were divided on Man of Steel and it didn't earn as much as Warner would have liked but they still pressed on with Batman v. Superman since again, they don't want to reboot a reboot.
Warner owns the rights to the DC catalog of characters. They own them. It is their property. It's a good deal for them, and there is ridiculously enormous potential to be exploited there. Crazy mounds of money. And they don't have to worry about some licensing agreement hanging over their heads. It is their property.

This is such a different situation than FF. FF is one isolated package of things. It is not very large. Maybe they can crossover with their separate X-Men package, I don't know, but even if they can, FF is entirely not essential to the success of the X-Men package. It would be an accessory to that. Unless FF can generate some energy and love for itself, it is not gonna have any synergistic effects with their X-Men movies. So I think u gotta look at it like...'Why do we need to keep this property here? What are the benefits, what are the risks, and most importantly, is money put into FF movies very possibly better used elsewhere?'

And anyone at Fox who wants money to be used elsewhere is gonna have knives out on any mediocre performance for FF. It seems that this movie may very well not be supported with any unified drive within Fox. To me, it seems like there is just not the kind of clarity and sense of purpose that X-Men movies have. And that just makes sense becuz of the value of each property compared to each other. I personally think there have been people at Fox who have always thought this movie was a bad idea to go ahead with. That money would be better spent on developing the stronger franchise, X-Men. And just ridding themselves of this little other thing that yields no synergistic benefits whereas other X-Men movies could very well do that and that also has a pretty low ceiling as a solo franchise. So I think there must be division in Fox over this. And that is something, if true, that really totally works in Marvel Studios' favor, obviously.

Becuz if Marvel could offer something that Fox would go... wow, we could really use that, actually, why would Fox not rid itself of this? And a thing like an X-Men TV show is not just about the TV show. It is about synergy and strengthening the healthier property of the two separate packages.

X-Men TV show would help Fox's X-Men movies in the same way that Marvel's AOS helps their MCU movies. And there must be people at Fox, and i think these would be the smart people, who realize that FF for X-Men TV is just a crazy good deal for them if they could get away with it.

It's actually kind of an albatross off their neck, cuz they could just focus on the strong thing. You know, within this little pocket within Fox of summer blockbuster action films. X-Men is a pretty goddam good thing going on. And they've barely even touched the potential on it.

And Marvel isn't going to cram the Fantastic Four into Phase 3 if this film does Ghost Rider 2 numbers. If anything it would be put in limbo like Blade and Punisher and unfortunately is too expensive for a TV series.

Either Fox will do the sequel regardless of reception or if the film flops hard, they'll hold on to the rights for another 8 years or they'll sell the FF back to Marvel after a really nasty flop that will cause Marvel to not reboot the FF and keep the comic canceled due to lack of interest.

Fantastic Four has no value in Phase 3, I don't even know why you think that's part of the equation. Marvel is set til the end of Infinity 2. FF has tremendous value to Marvel in Phase 4 and onwards.

Crazy value. And this last scenario of yours Fox selling FF back after a flop, does not mean that FF is in Limbo. haha. what are you talking about? FF would be right there... boom!.. first round of Phase 4. no doubt, hands down, heads off they would be. FF is a huge property in Marvel's hands.

All this bizarre stuff about X-Men TV rights for Shi'ar...?
u gotta be kidding me.

and where does this Inhumans depends on Guardians crossover and only by Shi'ar key? I don't wanna phrase things disrespectfully, but you are making major huge leaps of assumption, and also saying that very specific things need to be there to pull these leaps of assumption off.

Marvel letting Fox have anything of value in exchange for the rights Shi'ar is patently absurd.

As I said, that's your starting point. The compensation required for handing over full TV rights will likely involve more pieces, perhaps even a set reversion date (2020?) for the FF character family.

But if the Surfer isn't the greatest cosmic hero, he certainly has the best design. Disney Consumer Products would be ecstatic to have him fully under their control.

Marvel letting Fox have anything of value in exchange for the rights Shi'ar is patently absurd.

Yeah that is ridiculous. Who cares about the Shi'ar or Brood anyway? Marvel can easily make up new alien races for something like Ms Marvel. They are so easy to replace. James Gunn quickly replaced the Badoon without any impact whatsoever on the GOTG.

Marvel would have to be absolute idiots to think "Well, we gave away our precious X-Men TV rights, but at least we got back the Shi'ar!! Yes!!" If they gave away the X-Men TV rights for the Shi'ar and Brood, then Marvel deserve to lose all their rights.

Disney isn't about that life. Their goal from day one has been to get everything back in house. Look at their every move since they've acquired Marvel. Everything Disney has done has been in hopes to get all their characters back in house.

That is one of their top priorities. I don't expect anything to come out of Fox pleading to get the T.V rights. Disney just needs to be patient and ride this out a little longer because on the Spider-Man front Sony is at a complete loss while Fox remains the only true deterrent in Disney's plans to get everything back.

The X-Men are Fox's for the foreseeable future. As long as Singer or Vaughn are involved because aside from that they seem utterly clueless with that franchise. The minute Singer and Vaughn are no longer involved then the clock truly starts ticking for Fox with the X-Men.

I definitely think that the bare minimum for the X-Men TV rights would be the film rights for the Silver Surfer and all associated characters (Galactus etc), or possibly a date for the FF rights reverting to Marvel. The X-Men TV rights would need to be tied to the film rights so that Fox would only have them while they held the film rights, and the TV series would not count towards the reversion clause of the rights agreement, so Fox couldn't use a TV series to keep the film rights active.

But that would require... y'know... actually listening to what people are saying.

It's a lot easier to just dismiss them as mindless fanboys than put forth the effort to see things from someone elses POV

I disagree, if anything the trend is to suck up to anything Marvel releases and they are not making grounded grim n gritty films. I actually see more complaints when a comicbook film doesn't have a Marvel movie's exact tone.

I will agree that any reading of this teaser as great or particularly good is baffling to me. As has been said I think any positive reaction is due to how low expectations were.

I definitely think that the bare minimum for the X-Men TV rights would be the film rights for the Silver Surfer and all associated characters (Galactus etc), or possibly a date for the FF rights reverting to Marvel. The X-Men TV rights would need to be tied to the film rights so that Fox would only have them while they held the film rights, and the TV series would not count towards the reversion clause of the rights agreement, so Fox couldn't use a TV series to keep the film rights active.

The bold I would think Marvel would certainly insist upon. They are not going to do anything that makes Fox's current contracts even easier for Fox to keep their hold on these IP's. If anything they might go for revisions to the existing deals that might make reversions easier.

Pure speculation of course, but I cant see the Mouse letting the show go ahead without something big from Fox in return.

This trailer had two goals to accomplish:

1) It had to exist, to provide proof that actual footage was filmed
2) it had to, superficially, look better or at least newer that the Story films

The production team might be inept but Fox's Marketing Squad clearly isn't. They know you don't have to sell the movie, just sell what the data you have says people want to see.

Wait is "Fant4stic" even a legally binding Marvel name???

Meaning does Marvel have to even recognize it as one of their IP's by law?

Example:
Can Sony and Fox start calling their films EX-Men and Spyder-man?

Last edited:
This trailer had two goals to accomplish:

1) It had to exist, to provide proof that actual footage was filmed
2) it had to, superficially, look better or at least newer that the Story films

The production team might be inept but Fox's Marketing Squad clearly isn't. They know you don't have to sell the movie, just sell what the data you have says people want to see.

Well the fact that this is the ONLY film I've even known to have the director and the executive producer to a commentary ON A TEASER TRAILER, shows how deep the rut was for Fox to dig out of.

And the fact that they have to name drop Stan Lee and how he gave his approval of the project, shows how low these folks will get. Stan Lee is one of the nicest most unassuming people you meet. Does anyone think Stan Lee is going to come out and say "I hate Josh Trank's vision of this film. This movie is going to suck. I totally disapprove of what he did."

But they sure seem to be pushing that this film is "Stan Lee approved" and that it is "from the studio that brought you Days of Future Past."

I've never seen a teaser trailer pimp itself out to the public more than this one.

Again, if i knew nothing of the Fantastic Four, or anything about these characters, I can see where people would say "hey that looks interesting". Unfortunately we don't live in a vacuum.

After seeing the shocking amount of positive reactions to this film, before AND after the teaser, I'm becoming convinced that this will be a hit. And that saddens me deeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"