The Dark Knight The Man Who Laughs: The Joker Thread 2.0

dk0010mc6.jpg

Or it could be after Batman beat the crap out of him in the interrogation room. The red blended with the white and whalla! Pink!

Anyone catch this? If you look closely during the hospital scene, on the side of his face he has a rather large pink dot which, to me anyway, indicates that he was about to put pink lipstick on to go with his female nurse outfit - but it's though he stopped himself and decided against it. Twisted little detail that only makes The Joker more incredible in this film.

I think the pink dot is the same color as the rest of his lips. He probably just dabbed the spot as an "exclamation point" after applying the rest of his lipstick. That or his lipsitck skipped as he was applying it.

Anyone catch this? If you look closely during the hospital scene, on the side of his face he has a rather large pink dot which, to me anyway, indicates that he was about to put pink lipstick on to go with his female nurse outfit - but it's though he stopped himself and decided against it. Twisted little detail that only makes The Joker more incredible in this film.

he has the dot in a few scenes. i think its a deliberate thing that he does. if you notice on his bank robery mask, it has the same red dots on each side of the cheeks

I'm going to post my rebuttal to this post here so as to not derail the other topic even further. Though I don't know why I even bother, since this poster is just trying to stir the pot, like he has always done.
As i said TDK has turned a lot of fans into being dismissive regarding the joker of the last 40+ years
First of all, you have no place to accuse anyone of being dismissive when you ask people, "who actually thought the character was interesting then?" concerning Bob Kane and Bill Finger's original Joker. We would not even have a Joker today in ANY form if it hadn't been for that version, and Batman himself would have been a much different (and likely less interesting) character as a result.
i have no problem with you liking ledger,like i said he was really good but imo was a one note PERFORMANCE (not the excellent way he was written as an agent of chaos) watch 10 minutes of his lip smacking and you get the idea for the rest of the movie,
Even critics who didn't like the Dark Knight praised Ledger's performance. That's not to say his performance went completely uncriticized, but amongst the criticisms I've seen, I've never seen anyone else claim that his performance was a "one note" one. Even though I've been a fan of the character since I was a toddler, and even though I'd read spoilers aplenty for the film, I still didn't know what he was going to do next throughout the majority of the film. If you're talking about the lip smacking alone, then I suppose I'd have to agree that you can predict he'd be doing that throughout the film, but that's like saying you can predict he's going to wear purple and have green hair throughout the film.
but to put down other interpretations as "harmless silly and childish"? thats TDK fanboyism speaking it is aimed at children but also has a slight adult humour older fans can respect if they give it a chance so there is no extreme violence but for a interpretation you do not need violence thats generation 2009 OMAGODITSBADAAAAAAASSSS speaking,
So, we're talking about the Brave and the Bold (cartoon series) version of the Joker here. What you conveniently overlooked is that the person you're responding to said in his very post that he did NOT intend those words to be used as an insult towards that series. He was simply describing the series in accurate terms. I've seen the show and it is very childish. The very definition of that word is "of, like, or befitting a child", and the show's creators themselves would probably agree that that's exactly what the show is. I read an interview where the voice actor for Batman said he's happy to do work on a Batman show that he can watch with his young son. And the TDK Joker is not oh so badass. He's actually very toned down from some of the more extreme versions they were considering, all of which were almost unanimously despised when their pictures were revealed here. So that blows your theory that this generation believes "violence=quality" out of the water.
you interpret completely dark and gritty coupled with explosions as the only way Batman or the joker can be credible I suppose Mark Hamil is silly also seeing as he is far closer in style to BATB then he is to Ledger?.
This is your biggest mistake of all. Mark Hamill's Joker is my absolute favorite version of the character, and the reason why I like Heath Ledger's Joker so much is because he reminds me of Hamill's Joker so much. I've seen the BATB Joker, and he's much more akin to Romero's interpretation of the character. Aside from the aesthetic differences, the only real difference between Hamill's Joker and Ledger's is the lack of gag weapons from the latter.

Just a few similarities between the two:
They both find death to be hilarious. In Mask of the Phantasm, Joker cackles insanely as his amusement park bombs go off, threatening to kill everyone (including himself) in the vicinity. Likewise, Ledger's Joker laughs like a loon when he believes he's going to become street pizza.

Neither interpretation shows genuine affection for anyone, and both abuse or even murder their own henchmen. TDK Joker constructs a plan to kill several of them at the very beginning of the film, and later on puts a bomb in one of his men. Hamill's Joker is seen shooting his own men (Return of the Joker), throwing them to hungry hyenas, and routinely being physically and verbally abusive to his most loyal thug (Harley) whom he even throws out of a window.

They both loooove bombs. TDK Joker's love for them is self explanatory. Hamill's Joker uses them in the majority of the episodes he's in (as well as Mask of the Phantasm).

Both have attacked Batman through his loved ones. TDK Joker did it with Rachel and Harvey, BTAS Joker did it with Tim in RTOJ.

They're both quite aware of their very special relationship with Batman. TDK Joker spells it out in the interrogation scene and in his final scene of the film. It comes across best in Hamill's Joker in The Man Who Killed Batman, Mad Love, and the Justice League episode Injustice for All.

I'm sure I could come up with a lot more if I took the time, but I've already wasted enough time on this as it is. You honestly think a few gag weapons make the BATB Joker (who has only appeared in one episode thus far) more akin to Hamill's Joker than Ledger's Joker is? Oh puh-lease.

I'm going to post my rebuttal to this post here so as to not derail the other topic even further. Though I don't know why I even bother, since this poster is just trying to stir the pot, like he has always done.First of all, you have no place to accuse anyone of being dismissive when you ask people, "who actually thought the character was interesting then?" concerning Bob Kane and Bill Finger's original Joker. We would not even have a Joker today in ANY form if it hadn't been for that version, and Batman himself would have been a much different (and likely less interesting) character as a result.Even critics who didn't like the Dark Knight praised Ledger's performance. That's not to say his performance went completely uncriticized, but amongst the criticisms I've seen, I've never seen anyone else claim that his performance was a "one note" one. Even though I've been a fan of the character since I was a toddler, and even though I'd read spoilers aplenty for the film, I still didn't know what he was going to do next throughout the majority of the film. If you're talking about the lip smacking alone, then I suppose I'd have to agree that you can predict he'd be doing that throughout the film, but that's like saying you can predict he's going to wear purple and have green hair throughout the film.So, we're talking about the Brave and the Bold (cartoon series) version of the Joker here. What you conveniently overlooked is that the person you're responding to said in his very post that he did NOT intend those words to be used as an insult towards that series. He was simply describing the series in accurate terms. I've seen the show and it is very childish. The very definition of that word is "of, like, or befitting a child", and the show's creators themselves would probably agree that that's exactly what the show is. I read an interview where the voice actor for Batman said he's happy to do work on a Batman show that he can watch with his young son. And the TDK Joker is not oh so badass. He's actually very toned down from some of the more extreme versions they were considering, all of which were almost unanimously despised when their pictures were revealed here. So that blows your theory that this generation believes "violence=quality" out of the water.This is your biggest mistake of all. Mark Hamill's Joker is my absolute favorite version of the character, and the reason why I like Heath Ledger's Joker so much is because he reminds me of Hamill's Joker so much. I've seen the BATB Joker, and he's much more akin to Romero's interpretation of the character. Aside from the aesthetic differences, the only real difference between Hamill's Joker and Ledger's is the lack of gag weapons from the latter.

Just a few similarities between the two:
They both find death to be hilarious. In Mask of the Phantasm, Joker cackles insanely as his amusement park bombs go off, threatening to kill everyone (including himself) in the vicinity. Likewise, Ledger's Joker laughs like a loon when he believes he's going to become street pizza.

Neither interpretation shows genuine affection for anyone, and both abuse or even murder their own henchmen. TDK Joker constructs a plan to kill several of them at the very beginning of the film, and later on puts a bomb in one of his men. Hamill's Joker is seen shooting his own men (Return of the Joker), throwing them to hungry hyenas, and routinely being physically and verbally abusive to his most loyal thug (Harley) whom he even throws out of a window.

They both loooove bombs. TDK Joker's love for them is self explanatory. Hamill's Joker uses them in the majority of the episodes he's in (as well as Mask of the Phantasm).

Both have attacked Batman through his loved ones. TDK Joker did it with Rachel and Harvey, BTAS Joker did it with Tim in RTOJ.

They're both quite aware of their very special relationship with Batman. TDK Joker spells it out in the interrogation scene and in his final scene of the film. It comes across best in Hamill's Joker in The Man Who Killed Batman, Mad Love, and the Justice League episode Injustice for All.

I'm sure I could come up with a lot more if I took the time, but I've already wasted enough time on this as it is. You honestly think a few gag weapons make the BATB Joker (who has only appeared in one episode thus far) more akin to Hamill's Joker than Ledger's Joker is? Oh puh-lease.
QFT , i agree with everything you said .

and i really don't get where the hell nathaniel's getting this " one note " crap from . to me , he was constantly changing and getting more and more intense through each scene he was in . in the prologue , he seemed extremely calm , no signs of having manic outbursts at all . then the mob meeting , he impales someone's head with a pencil and threatens to blow himself and everyone else in the room up with grenades strapped to him ... obviously you can tell he was pretty damn crazy . then the fake batman scene ..... COMPLETELY out of his mind .we see him maniacly mocking the guy , and his voice goes from seeming completely goofy ( " why do you dress up like him ? hee hee , whoo hoo hoo hoo !!!! " ) to straight up demonic ( " LOOK AT ME !!! " ) . you can't deny how much of a gigantic mood swing that is . another example of that : during the " hit me " scene, he went from being angry as hell and very serious to dancing and skipping around and laughing like a madman . i don't see how that's " one note " at all.

Last edited:
Yea I think the word that best defines TDK Joker is "unpredictable". How can anyone consider him "one note" ?

Very much so.

QFT , i agree with everything you said .

and i really don't get where the hell nathaniel's getting this " one note " crap from . to me , he was constantly changing and getting more and more intense through each scene he was in . in the prologue , he seemed extremely calm , no signs of having manic outbursts at all . then the mob meeting , he impales someone's head with a pencil and threatens to blow himself and everyone else in the room up with grenades strapped to him ... obviously you can tell he was pretty damn crazy . then the fake batman scene ..... COMPLETELY out of his mind .we see him maniacly mocking the guy , and his voice goes from seeming completely goofy ( " why do you dress up like him ? hee hee , whoo hoo hoo hoo !!!! " ) to straight up demonic ( " LOOK AT ME !!! " ) . you can't deny how much of a gigantic mood swing that is . another example of that : during the " hit me " scene, he went from being angry as hell and very serious to dancing and skipping around and laughing like a madman . i don't see how that's " one note " at all.

Ah, you make me want to watch TDK, but I promised myself that I would wait until July 17th to watch it again :o

From the Panels to the Screen: Hollywood drawn to comics

The Joker
- (10)

galcomicjoker.jpg

...and culminating in an Best Supporting Actor Oscar win for the late Heather Ledger (r.) for his role as The Joker in 'The Dark Knight'. Ledger's last trick proved to be trumping Jack Nicholson's (l.) performance as the Clown Prince of Crime in 1989's 'Batman'.

Credits: DC Comics/Warner Bros.

Published: 04/16/2009 16:10:20

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...books/hollywood_drawn_to_comic_books.html#ph9

Edit: why on earth did I just post that?

Last edited:
I came across this little channel on youtube.

Probably the best Joker impression I have seen yet

The writing is really really good.

And it really feels like a continuation of The Dark Knight.

Check it out guys, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheJokerBlogs

From the Panels to the Screen: Hollywood drawn to comics

The Joker - (10)

galcomicjoker.jpg

...and culminating in an Best Supporting Actor Oscar win for the late Heath Ledger (r.) for his role as The Joker in 'The Dark Knight'. Ledger's last trick proved to be trumping Jack Nicholson's (l.) performance as the Clown Prince of Crime in 1989's 'Batman'.

Credits: DC Comics/Warner Bros.

Published: 04/16/2009 16:10:20

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...books/hollywood_drawn_to_comic_books.html#ph9

I'll always enjoy watching both performances until the day I die but Ledger truly had the better peformance.

I truly think this highlights my "one note" theory in terms of the acted portrayal from ledger (AGAIN not the script or his actions during the scripted scenes) everybody and their uncle seems to be able to do a decent to scarily great impersonation because it really is a pretty predictable act to copy.

I have found ONE person on tube who can do a really good hamil joker impersonation and no one who can do a decent nicholson (anyone who tries ends up just doing a normal i.e bad normal jack impression his joker was more then that) or Romero one.

It's not hard to do a good impersonation, but pulling off a performance in a movie is a totally different thing.

I truly think this highlights my "one note" theory in terms of the acted portrayal from ledger (AGAIN not the script or his actions during the scripted scenes) everybody and their uncle seems to be able to do a decent to scarily great impersonation because it really is a pretty predictable act to copy.

I have found ONE person on tube who can do a really good hamil joker impersonation and no one who can do a decent nicholson (anyone who tries ends up just doing a normal i.e bad normal jack impression his joker was more then that) or Romero one.
nicholson is simply nicholson. hard to impersonate the guy because he's pretty unique. What's amazing about Heath's performance is that it's something that feels completely natural but is completely synthetic. It's exactly what we all wanted, but without us really knowing that's how we wanted it. Of course in hindsight it's easy to say it's not stunning, but it truly is. Nobody else could have given us this performance, one with so much believability that it's nearly impossible to see the actor acting.

then the fake batman scene ..... COMPLETELY out of his mind .we see him maniacly mocking the guy , and his voice goes from seeming completely goofy ( " why do you dress up like him ? hee hee , whoo hoo hoo hoo !!!! " ) to straight up demonic ( " LOOK AT ME !!! " ) . you can't deny how much of a gigantic mood swing that is . another example of that : during the " hit me " scene, he went from being angry as hell and very serious to dancing and skipping around and laughing like a madman . i don't see how that's " one note " at all.

If anything, I think the scene you mentioned really shows the range of emotion Ledger put into the Joker. I mean, he did a good job of showing just how ****ing crazy the joker was. His mood changes with a snap of a finger. I don't think I would call that "one note".

The thing I like most about the Joker is that he's got a point. no one panics if it's us doing the bad things. It's when they do it that we get upset.

And how do you respond, in a world gone insane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"