The Me Too Movement: The Sexual Harassment and Assault Thread

If I kept touching you and you didn't want me to, that is harassment.

If I remember correctly, touching someone without their consent is assualt, as far as it is concerned in the eyes of the law...

I think it depends on the circumstances but you're right, it's actually a higher crime than harassment.

I love Spacey as an actor.
But man that was weird. Spacey clearly doesn't GAF anymore.

"Handsy" isn't necessarily harassment. Accusations =/= guilty. There will be a court hearing in January, so we will see.
Touching someone without their permission, especially in a sexual manner, is what exactly?

"Handsy" sounds like someone is has a habit of being loose with touching others. It could be a pat on the shoulder, touching or grabbing someone's wrist or arm to get their attention, maybe even lots of hugging. Now a slap on the keister is probably what's in view when it comes to an innocent gesture that might get misconstrued as sexual assault. I've seen this acceptable in certain environments and unacceptable in others.

"Handsy" sounds like someone is has a habit of being loose with touching others. It could be a pat on the shoulder, touching or grabbing someone's wrist or arm to get their attention, maybe even lots of hugging. Now a slap on the keister is probably what's in view when it comes to an innocent gesture that might get misconstrued as sexual assault. I've seen this acceptable in certain environments and unacceptable in others.
People not understanding boundaries in the past, does not make the behavior acceptable. The #MeToo situation didn't come out because that behavior was ever right.

Sigh... We don't know circumstances and context.
Let's be very clear. Men or women who think they have a green light to do whatever they want in these situations does not make it okay. The idea that the person doing it thinks it is just fine because they think they can do it, doesn't make it so. If someone does not want to be touched, and you are touching them, that is not okay. At all. You don't get to just engage. In the circumstances and context here, why would Guy Pearce even bring up the concept of Spacey being far to comfortable touching people in a way universally considered not okay? Because handsy isn't a positive thing.

Let's be very clear. Men or women who think they have a green light to do whatever they want in these situations does not make it okay. The idea that the person doing it thinks it is just fine because they think they can do it, doesn't make it so. If someone does not want to be touched, and you are touching them, that is on you. You don't get to just engage. In the circumstances and context here, why would Guy Pearce even bring up the concept of Spacey being far to comfortable touching people in a way universally considered not okay? Because handsy isn't a positive thing.
Yeah, let's be very clear. Let's separate morality and actual events. Let's not throw people who probably acted inappropriately at worst into the same bin with sexual offenders? At the very least until there's actual hearing that determines if someone is guilty or not?

Yeah, let's be very clear. Let's separate morality and actual events. Let's not throw people who probably acted inappropriately at worst into the same bin with sexual offenders? At the very least until there's actual hearing that determines if someone is guilty or not?
So all these people are lying? It makes more sense in a rational sense to think this is all a big conspiracy or misunderstanding? By the way, bringing up a court of law in these situation, many times where something can't be prosecuted... yeah. I guess Cosby only did it that one time.

Ugh. The only "acceptable" situations are with sports when your teammates give you a pat on the backside. If you don't know the person, don't ****ing touch them. That's not hard to understand. If you can't read social cues in a club or bar that touching the person you're talking to is okay, err on the side of caution and don't touch them. And leave their asses alone.

Ugh. The only "acceptable" situations are with sports when your teammates give you a pat on the backside. If you don't know the person, don't ****ing touch them. That's not hard to understand. If you can't read social cues in a club or bar that touching the person you're talking to is okay, err on the side of caution and don't touch them. And leave their asses alone.
This is a very good example of how we have got to this point. It's tell how society has taught, mostly men, how doing such things is okay if you think it is okay. With no real thought about what the other person might feel or think of you doing it.

How do I know? #metoo activist Asia Argento lied publicly.

I'm seriously tired of lynch mob internet mentality. Taking at face value what someone said and run with it.
One can be assaulted and be an assaulter. Those are not mutuality exclusive things.

I ask again. Do you believe Cosby only attacked one woman?

How do I know? #metoo activist Asia Argento lied publicly.

I'm seriously tired of lynch mob internet mentality. Taking at face value what someone said and run with it.

One person does not make a statistic. You know what does? The thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people who are assaulted or harassed every day.

It's weird. Kevin Spacey assaulted men. Why don't you believe them?

One can be assaulted and be an assaulter. Those are not mutuality exclusive things.

I ask again. Do you believe Cosby only attacked one woman?
Those are not mutually exclusive things, but, surprise, people lie all the time. And all that stuff needs to be verified.

It's not the question of faith and beliefs for me. Accusations need to be investigated. If there's actual proof someone committed a crime, that person needs to face the law. End of story. Bill Cosby was investigated, charged and convicted. What is there to believe?

What about when the criminal justice system fails? Do you think the thousands of children that Catholic priests have molested are lying because the priests never saw a day in court? Stop putting your faith in the courts when it's been proven time and time again that the system is broken.

Those are not mutually exclusive things, but, surprise, people lie all the time. And all that stuff needs to be verified.

It's not the question of faith and beliefs for me. Accusations need to be investigated. If there's actual proof someone committed a crime, that person needs to face the law. End of story. Bill Cosby was investigated, charged and convicted. What is there to believe?
Would you like to point the statistics on those that lie in these situations?

Cosby was convicted of sexually assaulting one woman. Do you not believe the other dozens of women?

What about when the criminal justice system fails? Do you think the thousands of children that Catholic priests have molested are lying because the priests never saw a day in court? Stop putting your faith in the courts when it's been proven time and time again that the system is broken.
Statute of limitations, unwilling prosecutors, or paying off victims means someone didn't do it. Duh.

Sometimes its not that simple, I would go as far to say you need to know if the person is comfortable with YOU touching them.

Would you like to point the statistics on those that lie in these situations?
I don't think there's statistic of that. Yet I'm still not taking everything at face value.

Cosby was convicted of sexually assaulting one woman. Do you not believe the other dozens of women?
In case of Cosby he was at least convicted of assaulting one woman. There's at least some evidence of his predatory behavior.

Sometimes its not that simple, I would go as far to say you need to know if the person is comfortable with YOU touching them.
What was not simple about what Elektra wrote? If you don't know someone, don't touch them.

Lynch mob is the answer?

I don't think there's statistic of that. Yet I'm still not taking everything at face value.
There is though.

In case of Cosby he was at least convicted of assaulting one woman. There's at least some evidence of his predatory behavior.
A conviction isn't evidence. It's a verdict. What if that verdict was wrong? After all, we know there are plenty of wrongful convictions. So how is a verdict evidence?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"