The now NEW Official DC Stupid Questions thread: Didio Headaches - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Stewart is the star of Green Lantern Corps (Hal's right hand man, I believe). And yeah, Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run seems to have gone untouched.

What's Kyle Rayner's role in the New 52? Was he ever a Green Lantern? Also, have we seen John Stewart?
Kyle Rayner's history is the most altered of all the GLs'. The Green Lantern Corps apparently never got wiped out now, so Kyle had the standard GL training and is no longer the "Torchbearer" who carried on the Corps' legacy alone while it was gone. At least two of his ex-girlfriends, Donna Troy and Jade, never existed in the New 52, and they've made no mention of Soranik Natu, so Alex, his first girlfriend who was killed by Major Force and stuffed into his refrigerator, is being treated as the one true love of his life, which is a bit awkward. But overall he's basically the same character.

At the start of Green Lantern: New Guardians, he'd left the Corps to live on Earth as a more local superhero and get back to his art. He ended up getting sucked into a big conflict that saw him team up with members of all the other Corps and eventually receive guidance from them in harnessing their powers when his GL ring gained the ability to mimic their powers. Ultimately, he masters the entire spectrum and becomes the first long-term White Lantern. He's now solo in New Guardians, but Hal asks him to mentor the Templar Guardians (a branch of Oans who lived in isolation for millennia and only emerged when the Oans who control the GL Corps went bad and tried to wipe out all emotion in the universe). Right now he's dealing with Relic, a giant dude who is apparently a holdover from the previous universe (basically Galactus without the need to eat planets).

Kyle Rayner's history is the most altered of all the GLs'. The Green Lantern Corps apparently never got wiped out now, so Kyle had the standard GL training and is no longer the "Torchbearer" who carried on the Corps' legacy alone while it was gone.

Wow.

Geoff Johns is kind of a dink sometimes.

It actually surprised me when I read about Kyle receiving his training in New Guardians because I thought Hal still wiped out the Corps according to Johns' continuity, he just wasn't actually responsible for his actions because of the Parallax retcon. But I guess someone else threw that in there to explain why the Guardians were no longer reverent of Kyle the way they were in pre-New 52 Green Lantern Corps issues. Or someone just f***ed up, which is admittedly likelier.

Kyle Rayner's history is the most altered of all the GLs'. The Green Lantern Corps apparently never got wiped out now, so Kyle had the standard GL training and is no longer the "Torchbearer" who carried on the Corps' legacy alone while it was gone. At least two of his ex-girlfriends, Donna Troy and Jade, never existed in the New 52, and they've made no mention of Soranik Natu, so Alex, his first girlfriend who was killed by Major Force and stuffed into his refrigerator, is being treated as the one true love of his life, which is a bit awkward. But overall he's basically the same character.

At the start of Green Lantern: New Guardians, he'd left the Corps to live on Earth as a more local superhero and get back to his art. He ended up getting sucked into a big conflict that saw him team up with members of all the other Corps and eventually receive guidance from them in harnessing their powers when his GL ring gained the ability to mimic their powers. Ultimately, he masters the entire spectrum and becomes the first long-term White Lantern. He's now solo in New Guardians, but Hal asks him to mentor the Templar Guardians (a branch of Oans who lived in isolation for millennia and only emerged when the Oans who control the GL Corps went bad and tried to wipe out all emotion in the universe). Right now he's dealing with Relic, a giant dude who is apparently a holdover from the previous universe (basically Galactus without the need to eat planets).

Ahhhhh, what?!

I didn't know that... sort of makes me wish I hadn't spent a large portion of my youth reading through every issue of Kyle's run... :csad:

I really don't understand why Geoff Johns' tenure on Green Lantern is so beloved. Pretty much every single thing he's done with the franchise has made it worse.

Because a lot of the fans of Johns' Green Lantern stuff started reading with Johns' tenure, so they don't know or care about past GL continuity or anything. Much like how all of these new fans of Johns' Aquaman don't know or care about previous Aquaman stuff, much of which was great and didn't deserve to all be thrown out.

Yeah I'm loving New Guardians but I hate how they have changed Kyles backstory. I really wish he would have his old story, I do wonder if now he even was ION?

As for Johns run on GL it's pretty damn good despite the retcons, he introduced some flat out awesome concepts and all around gave GL relevance again. Nu52 is really what has murkied the waters though, what of his run stays? What goes? We are getting those answers slowly but not nearly answers well enough.

As for Aquaman, the book is awesome. That is coming from a guy who loved old Aquaman as much as this new fangled Aquaman, that too is a book marred in mystery as to what has been kept and what hasn't.

I think the biggest problem is that we just don't know what to remember when reading a story because nothing has been made clear. The reboot served its purpose now give us the damn backstories DC!

Yeah I'm loving New Guardians but I hate how they have changed Kyles backstory. I really wish he would have his old story, I do wonder if now he even was ION?

As for Johns run on GL it's pretty damn good despite the retcons, he introduced some flat out awesome concepts and all around gave GL relevance again. Nu52 is really what has murkied the waters though, what of his run stays? What goes? We are getting those answers slowly but not nearly answers well enough.

As for Aquaman, the book is awesome. That is coming from a guy who loved old Aquaman as much as this new fangled Aquaman, that too is a book marred in mystery as to what has been kept and what hasn't.

I think the biggest problem is that we just don't know what to remember when reading a story because nothing has been made clear. The reboot served its purpose now give us the damn backstories DC!

That's debatable.

That's debatable.

I'd say the SC, First Lantern and Rainbow Corps are all very good ideas. We're they executed with the best possible stories? No but they are cool concepts, better writers will make these concepts really shine.

Hey guys, quick question... Where's the best place to subscribe to DC? I'm thinking through their site is the most expensive...any tips?

Actually, their site is probably the least. You pay for a year of whatever issue it was you want, for about a 55-75% of the what you'd pay if you just picked up every issues at a comic shop or your average site.

Actually, their site is probably the least. You pay for a year of whatever issue it was you want, for about a 55-75% of the what you'd pay if you just picked up every issues at a comic shop or your average site.

Oh wow, I didn't expect that. Thanks!

After managing to find a still-sealed copy of the Starman Omnibus vol. 3 hardcover for cheap, I've been plowing through the books like crazy and I love it. But I've got a question about that 12 issue Shade series that Robinson recently did.

I've read that it takes place in New52. How does that factor in with the rest of the Starman series? Does The Shade acknowledge that something in the world has changed or does Robinson bend the New52 around Starman so as not to negate anything?

How much are these 3D Covers for the Villains Month event expected to go for in say, 10 years?

After managing to find a still-sealed copy of the Starman Omnibus vol. 3 hardcover for cheap, I've been plowing through the books like crazy and I love it. But I've got a question about that 12 issue Shade series that Robinson recently did.

I've read that it takes place in New52. How does that factor in with the rest of the Starman series? Does The Shade acknowledge that something in the world has changed or does Robinson bend the New52 around Starman so as not to negate anything?

It doesn't make sense in any possible way.

The problem with any type of special covers is that there's usually a few bajillion printed when they first come out so unless there's only a few thousand of a certain one and a collector is looking for it you'll almost certainly lose money on them.

For more information see the 90's chrome/foil/alternate cover/special ultra collectors editions. All first issues.

Because a lot of the fans of Johns' Green Lantern stuff started reading with Johns' tenure, so they don't know or care about past GL continuity or anything. Much like how all of these new fans of Johns' Aquaman don't know or care about previous Aquaman stuff, much of which was great and didn't deserve to all be thrown out.

Yeah, well, like always Corp, you mistake your own twisted opinion with what happened. You're right, a lot of fans began reading GL with G.Johns' run. But define "a lot". Some of the GL fans began reading GL a lot earlier AND are able to enjoy G.John' run at the same time. Come on, it's not only about not caring about the continuity, it's also about bringing new things to the continuity, and The man managed to open the mythology to another level.
I often read his books thinking "how the hell could someone write this?" It's so unnatural, dialogues are weirdly paced or written, the characters are sometimes 2 dimensional, but some of the plots were great, some of the stories were amazing, well thought, and brought a lot to the mythos of GL.

And come on, about Aquaman, not all the fans of current Aquaman are forgetting about the continuity. You enjoy thinking this, you are right to an extent, but don't make a general thinking out of your opinion, please. I stopped reading Aquaman in the nineties, I thought it sucked also one can always find one or twonice idea from time to time, ok. And as far as I recall the writers weren't taking the whole continuity seriously. It's not only G.Johns.
And also, someone like you who read so much, certainly more than me, is no stranger to publishers willing to erase the past to bring "a new fresh take" on the character again, and again, and again. I hate it too.

It actually surprised me when I read about Kyle receiving his training in New Guardians because I thought Hal still wiped out the Corps according to Johns' continuity, he just wasn't actually responsible for his actions because of the Parallax retcon. But I guess someone else threw that in there to explain why the Guardians were no longer reverent of Kyle the way they were in pre-New 52 Green Lantern Corps issues. Or someone just f***ed up, which is admittedly likelier.
Oh. My. Fu**ing. God. One more reason not to read New Guardians, I hate this kind of *****. I thought it was already too much considering Ganthet actually chose him for a reason, somehow, I thought it was better to choose him randomly. Now this. :cmad:
Soranik actually appeared in GL 23 taking care of the wounded.

There was a reference and brief flashback talking about when they tried recruiting Martian Manhunter to the Justice League around issue 7-8 and that it didn't work out well. I'm a little behind on the title, so unless Trinity War has addressed it since that's all we know so far.
Ok thanks.
They mentioned J'onn in the Justice League during the most recent part of Trinity War, but only revealed that he quit. Not much, but it's a new bit of information.

And Roy mentioned the old Teen Titans in the first issue or two of Red Hood and the Outlaws, but like Tim mentioning being Robin at one point, so Lobdell was just making up what happened and didn't as he went.
Ok thanks too. I just got lost with all this ***** actually.

It's overdone because it's an obvious and compelling plot. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Superman's basically got the absolute power already, but it's a core tenet of his character that he'll never let it corrupt him. Unoriginal writers have happened upon the thought, "What if it DID corrupt him?!" for years, and the end results usually sell pretty well.

Well one could also argue from a certain standpoint that knowledge=power; Batman's got plenty of that. Off the top of my head, let's say a scenario like an 8 year old child's parents gets killed indirectly by the actions of the JL in Gotham and the knowledge of the consequences(like that death) of these continued superhuman battles proves too much to handle. There's a good chance any person could crack and puts his or her foot down. Couldn't that concept apply to Batman?

About half of what you paid for it when you bought it.

I'm still gonna buy a bunch anyway, ones that personally want. I went on eBay and some people are already selling them for more than they are actually worth.

I'm trying to get into DC Comics and I think this little event may be a cool starting point.

So here's another question. Is the Batman who is in "Batman" the same Batman who is in "Detective Comics"? That goes for other characters too. Or is each series a separate universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"