The official All-Star Superman thread

#4 Cover
allstarsuperman43pg.jpg

a page from #3
allstarsuperman3pg048yy.jpg

J.K. Simmons who was Schillinger was also played J. Jonah Jameson. I find that quite odd.

Bullseye said:
J.K. Simmons who was Schillinger was also played J. Jonah Jameson. I find that quite odd.

Yeah but I'll always view him as Schillinger, and come to think of it he could have been a great villain.

I officially dropped this book.

#3 was pure garbage.

ALL STAR SUPERMAN #3

PLOT:
For 24 hours, Lois Lane has Superman’s powers. And with the costume, she’s Superwoman. After fighting a monster, Biblical hero Samson and the Greek Hero Hercules come and sweep Lois off her feet.

REVIEW:
While only in one issue (as far as we know), Lois Lane as Superwoman happens to be a great idea. And a nice homage to the Silver Age Superman comics. I love strong women and her costume gives her a Super-version of Wonder Woman’s costume.

However, one things that kinda bugs me is that Lois still thinks Superman is lying and that he isn’t Clark. On one hand; I believe this is similar to Spider-Man where as he revealed himself to Black Cat, she screamed for him to put the mask on as she thinks Peter lives a dull life, and she cannot see that they’re the same man. It can be just like that in here. But on the other hand; Black Cat didn’t deny it. Lois is. Why is that? Now I’m wondering how Superman or Clark is gonna finally convince her he’s is who he is.

One of the highlights was how much this issue makes people go back to the ‘50s. In a issue to Action Comics, Samson and Hercules swept Lois and Lana off their feet as Superman watched. While this has happened before, you don’t need to know it. Another thing is that its not the first time Lois got super-powers (Superman’s Girlfriend: Lois Lane, anyone?) but Morrison puts it in a realistic view: At first I thought it was the costume was going to be the source of where Lois gets the powers. It turned out to be a definition of potent potable. Upon drinking, Lois has his powers for ONE DAY. That makes it a stronger and resonant way.

What happened in Issue 1, brought back in Issue 2, is now…….said again here in 3. Samson brings Superman a paper from the future that says “SUPERMAN’S DEAD”. This does two things: first off, that newspaper is also from the big stunt of Death and Life of Superman. Second: it provides us, story-wise, that his death is gonna happen one way or another and when it does, how he, Lois, and/or everybody else’s reaction and…action will be up in the air.

Overall, this was a great issue for this title. While some may feel it ain't great, just good. I feel it was great in the feeling I had when I was reading it.

RATING: 9/10

binker look at who wrote the story of superman's death.

opens up a new can of worms.

Just read issue 3....could it be...that ASS is just as dumb and ridiculous as AB&R?

Yes, actually. The book is just so ****ING cheesey. Now, I don't mind cheeseyness. I loves me some cheese. But in the proper doses. And there is a very huge difference between some occasional cheeseyness to lighten things up, and pretty much soaking in a sea of cheese large enough to flood most of Massechusetes. And that's what All Star Superman is. It's like Grant Morrison took everything I hate about the silver age, and made a comic out of it.

Well, I do agree that the art is ****ing beautiful. And the diologue is better than what we had in the silver age. But plot wise, it's everything I hate about the silver age wraped up in one neat little package.

It's utterly awesome.

The All-Star line was advertized to be a throwback to silver age stories, and that's exactly what Morrison is delivering by the bucketload. It's campy and over-the-top and an homage to everything and doesn't pretend to be anything else. It's not even tongue-in-cheek, it's actually taking the silver age and making it work today.

And underneath it all is a pretty sweet and enjoyable story about Superman and Lois Lane, the single most iconic comic book couple of all time. That page of Superman kissing Lois on the moon? Pure awesome, and pure class.

I love the book.
A world where a man can fly is pretty fantastic. Morrisson is just making the ASS world a wee bit more fantastic than that.
It's a world, where the concept of Superman actually works.

So, you're saying Superman doesn't work in the comics as he is?

The Question said:

No, I'm saying he works BETTER in the ASS world.

I can't get tired of saying ASS. :)

The Question said:

To hell with it i'll bite.

Superman very very very rarely works in comics as he is.

As batman said the last time he inspired anyone was when he was dead.

GyLocke said:
No, I'm saying he works BETTER in the ASS world.

Well. I guess I'm just going to have to disagree 100%.

gildea said:
To hell with it i'll bite.

Superman very very very rarely works in comics as he is.

As batman said the last time he inspired anyone was when he was dead.

Again, I completely disagree. So what if he's not some perfect demi god? He's become more of a character. That's what counts with me.

The Question said:
Well. I guess I'm just going to have to disagree 100%.

Again, I completely disagree. So what if he's not some perfect demi god? He's become more of a character. That's what counts with me.

And i disagree. He imo is so much less of a character, he is the same as every other superhero.
He has lost his individuality and originality and in place we have some sort of marvelised character which we already have plenty of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"