The Official Bane Costume Thread - Part 4

Well, it is finished...for the most part, I was sewing right up to when I had to leave for my party, but I'm pretty pleased with how my vest turned out. I still have a few tweets I want to do before Halloween on Wednesday. I just wanted to show off a few pictures before I call it a night. I'll post some detailed shots of the vest tomorrow.

photo2xy.jpg

photo1kjr.jpg

I have a new problem though, I painted my JBrown mask last week with acrylic paint, and used a matte finish spray on it. The problem is that my paint job is now cracking hardcore and I'm going to have to re paint the sides of the mask (where the most bending has been). My question is, what did I do wrong? should I have not used the matte finish or am I missing something. I will eventually have to try and remove most of the first paint job and start over but I don;t have time before Wednesday. Could someone give me some pointers on what they used on their mask to keep the paint from cracking and flaking off?

Last edited:
44490_4477154819524_351199981_n_zpsb55bb740.jpg

photo3_zps43d642ee.jpg

photo4_zpsf7792b7b.jpg

Hey guys heres my bane costume. it was the best i could do in a short time because i just decided to be bane for halloween on october 1. originally i was planning on being a police officer but then a lot of people told me that i could pull off bane really well so i went for it. I am going to the disneyland halloween party and plan to wear this costume and im really excited. the mask in the first pic is GCFX which i was not satisfied with. I ordered a mask from jbrown on the 9th. so Im not expecting that my mask will magically appear tomorrow. the vest is a cosplaysky but i had a lot of trouble with them because they forgot to send the kidney belt. I got luckily got the last large sized bane pants from banepants.com. I've spent so much time and money on this its crazy, i ran out of money so i couldnt get the wrist guard, an accurate boots( i have black ones) and a jacket. but oh well... thanks guys for checking mine out.. all of yours looks great..

Well, it is finished...for the most part, I was sewing right up to when I had to leave for my party, but I'm pretty pleased with how my vest turned out. I still have a few tweets I want to do before Halloween on Wednesday. I just wanted to show off a few pictures before I call it a night. I'll post some detailed shots of the vest tomorrow.

photo2xy.jpg

photo1kjr.jpg

I have a new problem though, I painted my JBrown mask last week with acrylic paint, and used a matte finish spray on it. The problem is that my paint job is now cracking hardcore and I'm going to have to re paint the sides of the mask (where the most bending has been). My question is, what did I do wrong? should I have not used the matte finish or am I missing something. I will eventually have to try and remove most of the first paint job and start over but I don;t have time before Wednesday. Could someone give me some pointers on what they used on their mask to keep the paint from cracking and flaking off?

the vest looks terrific! great job!

photo2xy.jpg

photo1kjr.jpg

Mine cracks, too. If it gets too bad I just wipe it off with some acetone and reapply.
I have found it cracks a lot less if I dip the brush in the paint, wipe it on a paper towel and apply it in very light coats, of that makes sense.

Well finally halloween is near. I wonder when are going to be able to get the mask xD

The mask is latex right? What you can try is to mix the paint with transparent latex (water it down with destilled water if needed) and then apply.

Here is how my Bane costume turned out. It was a mad scramble to finish it in time for the party I was going to, I'm going to do some more painting and corrections before I go out again on Wednesday. Some details were skipped like the mask is short a few hoses, but all in all it turned out really well for someone with no idea what they were doing haha. Everything but the pants I got on eBay and the shoes I got at the thrift store are 100% made by me. The mask was made following the lovely Instructables guide, however after two failed molds (one paster and one paper mache) I found much easier to apply the latex directly on the clay form with a paint bursh. I guess as a result of this my mask didn't come out quite as smooth, but if the latex mix is thick enough and you do enough coats I feel like this saved me hours of drying and a lot of effort.

534640_4359147729511_701994985_n.jpg

Here's a few pics with the Belstaff jacket!

8135964714_ab9ed1b115_b.jpg

8135936363_899c032a64_b.jpg

I'm here to fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny!

Finally getting some pics of peoples costumes who havent posted. Pretty awesome to see them all now! GunEmDown you need to black out the buttons on the Belstaff other than that it fits you perfectly!!!

Hey RD, do you still have the picture of Harvey Dent that you are used in your pictures? I know this was posted a long time ago but I stupidly scrolled past it and now I can't find it.

edit: if anyone has it I would much appreciate it if you'd posted the picture or link on here!

Well unfortunately I'm not getting my mask done in time for halloween, but I'm still bangin away at it. This is what I did last night, still needs work done, but its getting there. I gotta thank AZspidey for the pic of his that he posted a while back. That clear of a pic has been extremely helpful. I cut some ink pen tubes for the cylinder parts since trying to do those out of clay was a hellfest. Because of the size of the tubes I only got six, instead of seven but who's gonna notice that at a party lol.

1351546031.jpg

I also got the main black rubber piece that surrounds the top and back of the head. Might post a pic of that later.

.... GunEmDown you need to black out the buttons on the Belstaff other than that it fits you perfectly!!!
LOL - not sure I can do that on a $800.00 dollar jacket just for halloween. That's my 19 year old son's costume. He wore it to a party on Saturday nite, let's just say it was an attention getter!!

GED10

8103168432_5af83a294e_m.jpg
"It doesn't matter who we are....."

Well unfortunately I'm not getting my mask done in time for halloween, but I'm still bangin away at it. This is what I did last night, still needs work done, but its getting there. I gotta thank AZspidey for the pic of his that he posted a while back. That clear of a pic has been extremely helpful. I cut some ink pen tubes for the cylinder parts since trying to do those out of clay was a hellfest. Because of the size of the tubes I only got six, instead of seven but who's gonna notice that at a party lol.

1351546031.jpg

I also got the main black rubber piece that surrounds the top and back of the head. Might post a pic of that later.

Good gracious, Opiate! That looks fantastic!! great job on the tubing and the...well...EVERYTHING! I really like it a lot!

I decided to go with the original Bane this year, just not a fan of the new Bane look.

bane1.jpg

bane1.jpg.html
bane2.jpg

bane2.jpg.html

bane3.jpg

bane4.jpg

bane5.jpg

bane3.jpg.html

bane4.jpg.html

bane5.jpg.html

Last edited:
I tried to pose some of the parts so they fit together, but I only got two hands so it was kinda hard :) the back piece is still clay btw, and the black rubber parts will be trimmed so they fit flush together when attached.
1351571705.jpg

Right now I'm basically gearing up to mold and cast the metallic parts but I'm broke at the moment so as soon as I get some cash I should be able to knock quite a few things out fairly quickly.

Hey Guys
Figured I would share these. There of my buddy Chris at New York Comic Con this year. He was modeling the Logan's Closet "Back Breaker" jacket. He should join here on SH soon.

88944150.jpg

70896173.jpg

87135338.jpg

10515640.jpg

Everyone keep up the awesome work. The costumes look awesome.
MrWaynesDouble

So I've been skimming through all of the posts from all 4 (or is it 5!?) Bane costume threads and I am so blown away by all the talent and hard work. I decided just last night that I want to cosplay Bane - not for anything specific, just for fun. As my name suggests, I am female, so I am thinking of putting a bit of a feminine twist to the costume and building a corset that resembles the vest instead of the vest itself. I am also on the hunt for a great mask - I have seen some names mentioned, like Roids, jbrown, and GCFX - I'm wondering which of those are still offering custom made masks. When I went to the GCFX website, it looked as though they were no longer taking orders for Bane masks.

Any help in this endeavor will be greatly appreciated :)

I have a jbrown mask and it is fantastic. Roids is long gone (also somewhat of a touchy subject). I personally have never really liked to appearance of the gcfx mask, but I've also never owned one nor seen one in person. Todd makes to the top of the line right now, and MJ just entered the ring as a link between JBrown and Todd's mask. This is all my own opinion of what I've gathered and observed over the last two and a half months.

How much did you shell out for your jbrown mask? I want to know how much to set aside :)

Is he a member in the forums here, or does he have a site where I could contact him to further discuss this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"