The Official Danny Huston/Stryker Discussion Thread

Yeah, nothing I have seen so far indicates anything less than awesomeness. Gonna be good!

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2009/04/danny-huston-hugh-jackmans-wol.html

Danny Huston: Wolverine star Hugh Jackman is a terrifying monster
By David Bentley on Apr 1, 09 07:30 PM

THE upcoming movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a mythological epic based on the relationship between Hugh Jackman's metal-clawed character and his brother.

That's according to actor Danny Huston, who plays William Stryker, a military scientist who experiments on Wolverine and other mutants.

Asked what it was like working with Jackman, he said: "He was absolutely divine, sweet and gentle - until the camera turns on, then he turns into a terrifying monster."

He added: "I portray a rather evil character who is able to manipulate these demigods in a rather infernal way.

"Apart from Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, there are other characters such as Sabretooth and Deadpool, which I am able to control in my silent, evil way", he told the Paul O'Grady Show tonight.

"Stryker has kind of a love-hate relationship with mutants. He has a love relationship with his son, but his son kills his mother, so it quickly turns to hate."

Huston, 46, son of legendary filmmaker John Huston and brother of actress Anjelica Huston, said: "I did not grow up with the X-Men comic books. But this is an epic world and in a way it's a kind of mythology.

"The film is about the relationship between Hugh Jackman's character and his brother, it's like the biblical tale of Cain and Abel. "

An older version of William Stryker was portrayed by Brian Cox in the second X-Men film.

What I want to know is if by the time of this movie Stryker has already taken his kid to Xavier

I thought Huston as Stryker was not good at all. He didn't stand out and his scenes were sub par.

I was somewhat disappointed too. And after watching X2 I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Stryker's accent.

For anyone who watched the leak...Was there any mention at all of Jason?

Given what we know from X2 about Xavier not being able to "cure" Jason...that would presumably be after he began taking in mutants, right? Otherwise, Stryker would not know of Xavier and would have no motivation to seek him out.

But from what I've read (I still haven't seen it), Stryker is already enlisting mutants and experimenting on them in Wolverine though not as maliciously as in X2. He's the same character from X2 but that film implied that it wasn't until after Jason tortured him that Stryker began to hold a grudge. After that he started to use the compound he created with Jason's brain fluid to enslave mutants...

Or is Xavier's presence near the mutant prison at the end of the film implying that he already has a history with Stryker? That would also have to include Magneto, right? Magneto apparently knew Stryker well enough given what he said in X2.

I'm not pointing out a plot hole or bashing the movie.
I'm just hoping someone a bit more informed can clarify it for me.

I get the impression that Stryker is going to be more of a cookie cutter villain in this. Is that fair to say?

Why is Danny Huston always playing a badass villain? Has he even played a good guy yet?

Ugh. I have to vent. For the most part, I like all of the characters in this movie and wish I had seen more of them... except for Stryker. I cannot stand Stryker in this movie. He is sooo one dimensional, and he annoys me to no end. Danny Huston does fine with what he is given, but what he is given isn't very good. This rendition of Stryker is easily one of my least favorite comic book movie villains. :down

I dont know about BMM is talking about, i thought Danny Huston played an awesome young Stryker. Its hard to live up to what Brian Cox did in X2, but i thought Huston did a good job. Even though his mid-credit scene was a bit randomly pointless.

It felt to me like Huston phoned it in with this movie. I was looking forward to his performance because of the trailers and I was let down.

Despite that, there's something strangely soothing about his voice

He's like Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood, he has one of those voices I could listen to all day...

I guess I'm one of the few who thought Huston was perfectly fine as Stryker. I can see what some mean about Brian Cox being more "entertaining", but Cox as Stryker always seemed a little too campy and scenery-chewing to me. Huston seems more like someone who could actually get you to trust him, and be entrusted with high military positions.

Despite that, there's something strangely soothing about his voice

I completely agree, his voice and his whole demeanor reminds me of a doctor. Calm and unruffled. Like what I said about him seeming like someone who could get people to trust him, even thought we know Danny Huston tends not to play trustworthy types.

I hated this version of Stryker. He was no Bryan Cox. He was about as intimidating of a villain as KFC's Colonel Sanders. Which gives me an idea...

stryker_chicken.jpg

I also though Huston did not do a good job as Stryker. He was one dimensional and he was too calm and his acting wasn't that great. When Wolverine chokes him at the hospital, Huston was terrible.

I thought he was fine. He didn't have much to work with, but he managed to at least make it believeable for the most part. He did have quite a few of Brian Cox's mannerisms.

I also love how Stryker swears on his son's life but then they never tell that the frozen boy is his son. He only mentions that his son killed his wife. This is an origin movie but you have to watch X1-X3 to understand a lot of what is going on. That is just terrible story telling.

I thought he was fine. He didn't have much to work with, but he managed to at least make it believeable for the most part. He did have quite a few of Brian Cox's mannerisms.

I agree with this. It seems to me that Danny did the best he could considering the restrictions of what had been written for him.

true he didnt write the script. though i believe the powerfuls should ahve been given more emphasis with pauses.

did anyone else think that besides his actions as an evil manipulative bastard, danny huston's mannerisms and expressions make him look like a nice guy?

true he didnt write the script. though i believe the powerfuls should ahve been given more emphasis with pauses.

did anyone else think that besides his actions as an evil manipulative bastard, danny huston's mannerisms and expressions make him look like a nice guy?

Yup...he didn't seem all that evil to me.

But that's just it - it has been said that the most evil of guys probably dont see themselves, or their actions, as being evil.

In that, Hustons performance as a man clearly driven by obsession was very real and more believable than some other 'top bad guy/villain' portrayals that I've seen over the years.

A villain needs to have some sense of menace, even if he doesn't think he's evil.

I don't know, Huston did absolutely nothing for me.

But that's just it - it has been said that the most evil of guys probably dont see themselves, or their actions, as being evil.

In that, Hustons performance as a man clearly driven by obsession was very real and more believable than some other 'top bad guy/villain' portrayals that I've seen over the years.

That's what I think the difference is between Brian Cox and Danny Huston's interpretations of Stryker.

I think Brian Cox's Stryker is more in the vein of being the entertaining scenery-chewing bad guy, while Danny Huston's is more like he's actually playing Stryker like he's a real person. I actually think Huston's Stryker seems more believably trustworthy to people, and also hides his obsession better, which he would need to do to be this high-ranking military official.

And while Stryker's obsession with mutants stems from the situation with his son and wife, I think he really believes (or has convinced himself) that he is on a noble, righteous mission to defend the American people. That's how he can justify murdering General Munson, because to him, Munson is weakening America's defenses by shutting him down, therefore Munson is the "enemy" of the American people. For Huston to revel in his evilness would be inappropriate, because Stryker is 100% an American hero in his own mind, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"