God of War The Official God of War Thread - Part 2

I think Asgard will be a huge part of it.
Heck, watch it be called God of War: Asgard.

I really don't know how I feel about Atreus being already that much older.

I think the next game will be set 3 years after GOW.

If they intend to follow Norse mythology then they cant jump too far ahead. Fimbulwinter had begun at the end of GOW and it is supposed to only last 3 winters. Then Ragnarok begins.

Also something to consider, the post credits scene when Thor comes to kill Kratos and Atreus takes place "years later" but Atreus still looks like a kid. So the Thor scene probably takes place during that three year period of Fimbulwinter. And I'm willing to bet that Thor's battle with Kratos is the first battle that signals the beginning of Ragnarok.

If they intend to keep the same actor for Atreus, and I hope they do, then 3 or 4 years make sense. He's gonna change his size and most likely his voice as well, so that can be brought to the actual character and the events of the game.

I think the next game will be set 3 years after GOW.

If they intend to follow Norse mythology then they cant jump too far ahead. Fimbulwinter had begun at the end of GOW and it is supposed to only last 3 winters. Then Ragnarok begins.

Also something to consider, the post credits scene when Thor comes to kill Kratos and Atreus takes place "years later" but Atreus still looks like a kid. So the Thor scene probably takes place during that three year period of Fimbulwinter. And I'm willing to bet that Thor's battle with Kratos is the first battle that signals the beginning of Ragnarok.
Great post. I believe this will all turn out to be true.

Got this on sale from the PS store last week and finished it 2 days ago.

Quite the adventure - loved the story and gameplay! Kratos is just awesome.

Got this on sale from the PS store last week and finished it 2 days ago.

Quite the adventure - loved the story and gameplay! Kratos is just awesome.
Did you go back to your house after finishing the main story? There's a final something waiting for you there.

Last edited:
It’s a great series. Looking forward to hearing what the next one will be about.

Playing this soon as its been sitting in my room for weeks now. I've only played God of War 2 and didn't finish it due to a glitch. So hopefully I'll have better luck in this game, but I expect it to be difficult to finish.

So i picked up God of War 3 Remastered last Sunday, since I amabout to play God of War 2018. Before this, I have only played God of War 2 before but didn't finish itdue to a bridge glitch. So playing God of war 3 reminded of gow2 so this game wasn't that all new to me.

Even though I have finished this in 6 days, its quite a short game. I have to say parts of this game was difficult as i have been killed plenty of times. In terms of bosses, Hades and the giant spider were the hardest. I switched to easy mode when I already died trice fighting the giant spider, and the combat became so much easier but I was already almost at the end of the game. Though the most annoying thing is the platforming of this game which reminded me why I don't really buy platform games anymore. I died again and again just for jumping or when the fire caught up on me or the spikes crushed me. I hated those parts of the game.

I wish the game was longer especially there was 1 upgrade that I didn't get and I wish there were more Gods to defeat and weapons to acquire. Over all, I didn't really enjoy it and I couldn't care less about the story and Kratos. But I have never been a fan of God of War 2 to begin with so I'm not suprised. Anyway this game mostly served as an appetizer for me before I play God of War 2018.

I just finished the main game! My review:

At first, I wasn't really thrilled by a God of War open world game especially in the earlier parts of the game, I really couldn't free roam. Its not really similar to open world games like GTA or those Ubisoft games. So I kinda felt restricted by the open worldness of this game. Some sites call it a semi-open world. Second, it didn't really feel like a God of War game because of there's no fixed camera, the chains/blades were nowhere and I was just confused because when I was going along, I was just thinking how am I gonna backtrack to these all locations and get back to the things I've missed and there were so many things to find. So that was quite a concern to me. Then when I got to the lake, thats when I finally got to really explore and do side quests and finding ship heads... but then I continued the main mission, thinking it would be a short one, suddenly boom, I was forced to go to another realm which I didn't expect and I was planning to do a side quest. And the thought of going to different realms was just insane. I was like how am I gonna complete all of this. The story at that point was really good and the world building is massive, it made me wow, but I was just like I have so much more things to backtrack and it kinda gave me a headache thinking about it. I think it was the 3rd or 4th day that I was playing it and comparing it to God of War 3, I finished that one in 6 days, while in God of War 2018, I was like maybe 10% done in my 4th day of playing the game. The game is really quite long and you really have to do main story missions and you just can't do side quests anytime you want, which I had to really take of and plan things as I went along in the game.

I finished the main story in 11 days and I expected this game to take me at least close to a month. But the game is still quite long. Just not long compare to Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I've also found all the shrines, freed all 3 dragons and finished the favors in midgard. I don't think I'm planning to go back to the things I've missed, especially when I finished the final story mission, I already looked for the things I wanted to see and get. Well most of the locations in Midgard are already 100%, but I really don't want to go back to the mountain and then in the second realm, inside the dark places of Alfheim. I've seen all the Valkyries that are in the hidden chambers but I've only beaten one of them and I don't feel like beating them all especially I would need to repeat those fights again and again just to succeed, and the rewards don't have much use to me anymore. There's also only four treasure maps left to be solved, 1 crow to smash (and I already got the trophy for the crows), few enemies that comes out of a portal (these are in other two realms) and some locked chest with the time limit to open and I really don't want to go back there just for 100% completion.

My thoughts about the realms:
Midgard - is the default favorite simply because there are so much to do and see.
Alfheim - this looked really pretty at first but when Kratos restored the light, the pink skies are gone and the inside of that huge building/palace was so dark that I really didn't want to go back there.
Muspelheim - this looks really good for a fire world, however I've only finished 3 missions there and I don't plan to finish all of them and fight another Valkyrie.
Helheim - this looks cool though I didn't expect it to look like an ice world. Also ironically, this place looks more alive than the other realms with too many dead spirits floating around.
Niflheim - I also like the way it looks, i felt like I was in Mars or some gas planet, however those traps are so damn annoying and I hated that I had to go back to the very start when I was killed. So out of the five realms with a check list to do, this one has the smallest percantage of completion. I just gave up on this realm.
Jotunheim - from so little that was shown, I really liked the way it looked. Just all rocks but it looked so peaceful and clean. Though I wish there were actual things to do there especially for almost half of the story, Kratos and his son were really eager to travel there and the whole segment was a long 20 minutes cutscenes/talking/walking.
Other 3 realms - I was kinda disappointed that there were only showing 6 out of the 9 realms (though I found about this online before I beat the story) and that the other realms don't have much more to offer but I guess thats the sequels are for? but damn if they showed all 9 realms and there were activities as many in Alfheim, that would have been so great and I would have used the bifrost more.

The story and the characters. I really liked the story of this. One of the best in the videogames. The highlights are of course the relationship of Kratos and Atrius and when Baldur shows up for trouble. The dragon boss battle was insane - thats my favorite boss battle in this. I didn't really care about Kratos before in the previous game, but he is much more intriguing in this and I liked that he got wisdom, heart and warmth in this which was lacking in the previous games. I don't have much thoughts about Atrius but I was happy that Kratos had somebody around to explore the creepy dark locations and help him in combat. Like I would have been terrified if it was just Kratos and if the talking head wasn't also there. I also really liked Freya and ugh her ending in the story was just so damn dramatic and heavy, I am perched to see if she will avenge her son.

My criticisms. All 6 realms seemed, just dead and abandoned. I felt like I was in Shadow of the Colossus. Other than Freya, the talking head, dead spirits and the two shop guys - the rest are just enemies you have to kill. And you are not gonna pass by random npcs and it makes the locations a lot more creepier to me. So I hope the sequel will have more npcs and the realms will have actual residents that aren't just there to kill you or give you orders. I also wish for more bosses. Because other than the dragon, Baldur and the brothers. I don't consider the rock giants/giant trolls as bosses. Also the costumes, they look great but I couldn't try all of them because I didn't want to lose the upgrades/higher stats for the costume I've already purchased, so I didn't have the opportunity to try every gear/look. Then the fast travel, I like that they aren't the typical loading screen fast travel but it took quite some time to use the fast travel feature. And finally, I just don't get how two Gods need to enter so many doors/narrow spaced locations just to get to point B when they could have just mountain hiked/jumped, most of the time, you have to be in a specific spot just to climb or jump... there's not even a jump button for Kratos anymore especially in combat. They also don't swim which is odd for an open world videogame. Kratos can't also throw the ax when he's in the boat.

Over all, its not my favorite videogame simply because there's not a lot of freedom in the open world gameplay and it lacks customization. But I really liked the story and I loved throwing the ax, the combat assist of Atrius and the company of the talking head.

I also wish for more bosses. Because other than the dragon, Baldur and the brothers. I don't consider the rock giants/giant trolls as bosses.
I take it you haven't really taken to fighting the valkyries yet, then?

I take it you haven't really taken to fighting the valkyries yet, then?
I fought those and I've beaten one so far. The Valkyries are side quests and I don't consider them as part of the main story.

I'm quite annoyed that I have to beat the Valkyrie in Muspelheim to get the final blades upgrade (chaos flame)... and I finally just learned to use the freaking enchantments but I tried fighting the Valkyrie in the mountains and still lost, and ugh, its just freaking tedious to beat all of them especially I already finished the main game and activated the bonus scene.

I hope the other realms in the sequel would have more activities and free roaming (and not just obstacles to finish), because Muspelheim and Niflheim are basically like training zones and there's nothing else to do there. While Jotunheim is empty in side activities. I think I'm done with the game. 95% completion in Midgard is good enough for me.

Does Horizon Zero Dawn have more freedom (in terms of exploration) compare to this? because I'm playing that one next.

I consider God of War a pseudo open world game, and Horizon a true open world game.
Yep, that would be accurate. I like having a bit of both in my games, as long as the quality is up there like with these 2.

So I said, I wouldn't beat all Valkyries and well I'm down to the last one, the 9th one (which I'm not sure if I would beat). For me out of the 1st eight, the hardest one is the one in Helheim, simply because that one just grabbed everytime which alwaya depleted my health and even my rage meter and I had to learn to dodge its every move. there were 2 times that I was literally 2 hits away from killing her and I was killed. That took me more than 30 minutes and seriously my heart was pounding so fast and my hand was getting muscle pain. That was hard. I thought the ones in Muspelheim and Nifheim would take me ages but nope. 3 tries in Muspelheim and just 1 try in Nifheim with the help of the resurrection stone. I guess upgrading and getting more enchantments with bigger stats make a huge difference.

Now... whats frustrating right now is the last favor in Nifheim. I'm pretty sure I got the yellow thing to activate the realm tears, but lost it when I ran out of mists. And I kept circling around just to find it again and I ended up just defeating the Valkyrie there.

I still strongly believe Atreus will be a late teen/adult in the next game.

What about the dream though? isnt that supposed to be a premonition?

So sequel with PS5?
Absolutely. But it's so hard to picture it before 2022.
Games take so long to be made nowadays.

I know they have the blueprint done, but still. I'm expecting the sequel to be massive in terms of content and quality.

I know they have the blueprint done, but still. I'm expecting the sequel to be massive in terms of content and quality.
I hope 2021.

Only 2 years away. Seems reasonable. It will be worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"