Gotham The Official Gotham News and discussion thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey anyone find that interview of David with DiscussingFilm about Jerome not being Joker and Bruce’s fear of bats developed in 4B? They tweeted about it but I can’t find any articles.

Don't honestly care what he or the producers say about Jerome not being the Joker. Call it blind fanboyism, but to me, he's Gothamverse's Mr. J and no one can tell me otherwise.

Here's said podcast interview for anyone interested:

[YT]v_eWQkFPiC4[/YT]

Cameron Monaghan also confirmed it on Twitter. I don't see any good coming from this.

i don't see why they brought jerome back fromd ead for seasons 3 and 4 if he isn't joker. plus jerome totally comes off as a heath ledger insired joker and now he isn't:whatever:

Because they want the Joker to be the same as Batman, which is an ideal that anyone can be him even though that robs the character of his uniqueness. Out of all the things the Gotham producers have backtracked on, this is the only aspect they've stubbornly stuck to since the beginning.

If this backfires, and most likely it will, they have no one to blame but themselves. The reaction to Jerome's death in season 2 should have given them clarity.

Many thought this meant that Joker would arrive in Bruce Wayne's life after the show had ended, but it now appears that's not the case. While speaking on Discussing Film's podcast this week, Gotham star David Mazouz confirmed that Jerome definitely wasn't the Joker, but went on to explain that the actual Joker was coming soon, and that Jerome's story is vital to the character's arrival.

"He’s not the Joker, that’s all I’m saying," Mazouz began. "He’s definitely the inspiration for the Joker and the way that the Joker comes into the show is one of the most brilliant things Gotham has ever done."

This helps explain why Jerome has been seen doing things like throwing Joker playing cards and asking to put a smile on someone's face. The character is laying the groundwork for something more terrifying to come.

Monaghan added to this story on Twitter after the interview was posted. In a tweet that has since been deleted, the actor referenced Mazouz' comments by saying the following:

"I can confirm. What we've cooked up and discussed is something not to be missed. It's a twist on familiar themes, both new and old echoes of the mythos. Something entirely new, but we believe true to the spirit of the show as well as the comics. Proud I got to be a part of it."

So, while we don't know when the Joker will show up, or how he will come to surpass Jerome as the most evil character on the show, it's safe to say that his arrival will be no laughing matter.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/23/gotham-joker-arrival-david-mazouz-jerome/

If anyone else is the Joker other than Jerome, it'll be very underwhelming.

Last edited:
Oh. So now they're choosing to bring in the 'Joker' despite the fact that years before they stated we would never see him and he'd only pop up after Bruce dons the cape.

Pathetic. That being said, I pity the poor guy they choose to play him because he's gonna have to deal with a lot of fan hate and filling the shoes Cameron should have filled.

Oh. So now they're choosing to bring in the 'Joker' despite the fact that years before they stated we would never see him and he'd only pop up after Bruce dons the cape.

Pathetic. That being said, I pity the poor guy they choose to play him because he's gonna have to deal with a lot of fan hate and filling the shoes Cameron should have filled.

I hope this doesn't mean Jerome gets killed off to make room for the new guy! Either way, these comments have me worried! :csad:

If he gets killed off, I'm dropping the show entirely. Why bring him back from the dead in season 3 then if one day he does not end up becoming the Joker, only 'inspiring' him, and then kill him off again? It's unnecessarily pointless and infuriating.

If he gets killed off, I'm dropping the show entirely. Why bring him back from the dead in season 3 then if one day he does not end up becoming the Joker, only 'inspiring' him, and then kill him off again? It's unnecessarily pointless and infuriating.

It wouldn't be surprising, considering the show is recasting Poison Ivy and Scarecrow! They seem to have a habit of making weird decisions this season!!! :cmad::cmad:

Eh, the recasts don't bother me as much. But they struck gold with Cameron. How they are this blind and stubborn to see it is beyond me.

Still planning to see the episodes he's in once they air, but I'm going in with extremely low expectations now. My hype for them has severely decreased after this.

I love Cameron in the role, but I dig the heck out of all the Joker red herrings.
Gotham gets to be that one where "Joker" isn't one person.

But Cameron isn't one 'Joker' though. By what Mazouz said, it seems like they're introducing the one and only Joker, so it's like even the multiple Joker aspect in some of the comics might not have even been considered, or it was disgarded with the "ideal" plotline they were originally gonna go with.

Unless this is all some clever misdirection to something else, but that would require putting faith in Gotham producers' decisions.

Last edited:
That'd have to be one massive hat trick for Gotham to say they were playing us all along to reveal, down the line...that somehow Jerome WILL later still be the Joker we know and expect. Should it be someone else, this would be one massive misdirect given all the Joker-esque cues we've had, like Jerome stapling his face New-52 style.

But yeah, I don't give these folks that much credit.

Hey anyone find that interview of David with DiscussingFilm about Jerome not being Joker and Bruce’s fear of bats developed in 4B? They tweeted about it but I can’t find any articles.

Here it is, it was a YouTube/Podcast interview:[YT] v_eWQkFPiC4 [/YT]

Honestly as far as Jerome goes, It makes no sense to bring him back to life, give him Eben more Joker staples just to say he isn't the Joker. If he isn't the Joker, they really have to go over and above to show someone who is better and more Joker like than Cameron. Speaking of which, do you think they would slowly introduce the Red Hood elements again?

But I am excited to see how the proto-Batman costume gets update's each time. I also hope we see the proto Batcave returns in some form.

Last edited:
That'd have to be one massive hat trick for Gotham to say they were playing us all along to reveal, down the line...that somehow Jerome WILL later still be the Joker we know and expect. Should it be someone else, this would be one massive misdirect given all the Joker-esque cues we've had, like Jerome stapling his face New-52 style.

But yeah, I don't give these folks that much credit.

They could always use the argument of "Jerome is not the Joker... BUT, something will happen to him which ultimately results in him being reborn as the Joker," or something like that.

I wish I could say this was wishful thinking, and I really want to, but Cameron's responses to reactions from fans on Twitter have me assuming all is not what it seems. That being said, my expectations are extremely low.

I guess all this would depend on exactly how good this real Joker would be and it's difficult to picture them doing something massively better than Cameron's Jerome. Of course if they somehow did manage to do that then it would be amazing. I was totally happy with Jerome's version anyway.

On a separate note is Barbara supposed to be like this show's version of Harley Quinn?

Eh, you'll get what I mean when it's explained.

Eh, you'll get what I mean when it's explained.

Oh right, cool. Thanks for the heads up. It's funny how Barbara really stuck out as a weak point of the show as Jim's girlfriend and now I love every time she's on screen.

Maybe there's legal purposes to why they can't outright call him the Joker.

The guy has given us an amazing Joker or whatever they want to call him at such a young age. I'd love to see what he could do with this character in 10-15 years, maybe on film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"