The Official Gotham News and discussion thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Gotham' started by Thread Manager, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naked Shia Greece is the best coutry

Once again we cross path Rodrigo... and once again, we're on the same page. it's really more comic booky than most people thought it would be imo. and I love it precisely because of that.

2. Kane52630 Timmverse User

Nah brah! This show got to be super cereal for it to be legitimate! :o

3. Naked Shia Greece is the best coutry

I wanna see some seriouz thing and stuffz, but also it has to be funniez like da marvels moviez.

4. shauner111 Registered

It has nothing to do with Nolan. I just want good writing, good acting. For the most part, im not getting that. I feel like im getting B-Level stuff that doesn't interest me, whether it's Batman or not. The 4th episode was a huge improvement when it comes to tone, not using stupid characters. But this is still not a show that i could love, because i pay attention to direction, character development, plot, and especially acting. If i dont feel like a show or movie is on par with what i want, i lose interest or give it a bad rating. I expect more out of film/tv.

5. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

Admittedly, seeing Penguin's mother, raised my eyebrow, and I had to remind myself
    "THIS IS NOT A CHRISTOPHER NOLAN BATMAN MOVIE!"

That is the mindset that people are going into with, they're expecting Nolan stuff. They're not prepared or open minded enough to accept what they're seeing, because they're so used to seeing what we've had in live action Batman since 2005, that they're screwing their noses up at the show.

They want all the realism and seriousness, and are ignoring the entire general Batman concept.
    It's a gritty and wacky world. It takes liberties about the absurdity of madness and criminality, and pumps out things like the Joker and co.

For people to have a hard time accepting what the show is and stands for and having trouble accepting the likes of the Balloonman, then I don't think they're true Batfans. They're fans of Nolan and his realism.
    Whereas the ones who are sticking to it, are probably more fans of the Burton movies, which were (B89 more so) closer to the comics.
    The show has a quirky sense about it. It does combine the Nolan and Burton's sensibilities into something unique, and that's what people are having trouble with. They can't figure out if it wants to be wacky or serious, and they can't accept such a huge clash of cultures.
    But that's what I find intriguing about the show.
    The ones that are tuning out and can't understand what they're seeing must be pretty basic minded.

I appreciate and enjoy what I'm seeing. It's a pretty cookey show, I have to admit, but that's the beauty of it. It's not trying to be like Arrow or Flash, it's being something different, it's being something very Batman like and creative. It's embodying the Nolan world and the Burton world, which is what I believe the comics are anyway.

TBH, while I'm going to watch Flash and Constantine, I've never watched Arrow. Saw the first episode and I simply did not like it. I don't know how or why, I just didn't like it.

Gotham needs just a bit of work, and a bit of time to find its feet. Because doing what they're doing and coming off the Nolan movies, must be an extremely hard thing to do. So for people to piss on the show and complain about each and everything they see
    "Kiddy characters!"
    "Ivy Pepper?!"
    "Villains are older than Bruce!"
    "Lesbians!"
    "The Cat?!"
    "JPS is so annoying, why is she here?!"
    "Balloonman! WTF?!"
    "I don't understand what I'm seeing!"

I'd like to see them work on it and do a better job.
    Sure, the show HAS to be able to work and the producers HAVE to impress people. But the amount of close mindedness is pretty astounding, and that's because "Nolan" is still on the brain. And that's sad.

#955 Rodrigo90, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

It's a mixed bag, I can understand.
    Heck, I've only seen the first episode. I might be joining ya :hehe:

7. shauner111 Registered

[​IMG]

So if i cant accept or like the balloonman im not a true Batman fan? Well, the comics that i read, the Bat-movies that i like, don't have villains like that. It reminds me more of the 60s, or silver-age, or bat-comics written by people i dont care for.

8. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

Jesse! :D
    Ask this...
    What would you do, if you saw a crazy lady in Victorian clothing or the Balloonguy, appear in a Nolan movie? :p

9. shauner111 Registered

Didn't you say you loved the show and mentioned seeing Penguins mother? That's not the first episode right?

10. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

I've seen a picture of her and thought
    "What the h...?"

I'll admit to that :wow:

11. shauner111 Registered

First off it wouldnt happen because Nolan set a certain tone, not only in the trilogy but all of his movies. Characters like that come straight out of the 60s tv show. And im not the only one saying that. Ive read a lot of reviews that agreed with my point. Actually, even on here, people like that sort of thing and they're admitting that. So it wouldn't happen but if it did, i would be facepalming as well. Nolan is not above criticizing with me, no director is. If they do something i dont like, ill say it.

12. shauner111 Registered

That's one thing from this show i didn't mind. It reminded me of Burton, but i like the actress playing her character so i was OK with it. If it feeds more into Oswalds backstory and future, i don't necessarily have an issue.

The villains in episode 2 and 3 were just stupid and childish. It doesn't match my "Batman sensibilities". If the Balloon-Man did that to kids, it would be terrifying. But he's hooking up a grown man and the camera shows him screaming in the funniest way. It just doesn't match the police/mob part of this show, and i like consistency. "Arkhams" villain was more up my alley.

The pilot went over the top with the shoehorning, the "oh enough with the riddles!" Episode 2 and 3 with calling Selina cat all the time. Oswald, who is awesome, being called Penguin every 3 minutes, even before he gets a Penguin-like walk. It's forced and there just to ram it down our throats that they are batman villains. We get it. After the pilot they've been holding back with Nygma and i like that now. The new ep didn't have Selina, constant Penguin jokes, it had Fish Mooney, Maroni, the Mayor, Gordon, Bullock.

So what does that have to do with Nolan? Because he did it?? Whether it's him, Snyder, or whoever, that's what i want to see in a Batman or Gotham related story. The comics i read from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s usually don't have things like the balloonman. Hell they dont have Mad Hatter or characters like that 95 percent of the time. That's just what i want to see in Gotham City. Of course im a Batman fan.

This is still a tv show at the end of the day. I dont let a comic book dictate how i should see something. It's still a tv show, and for me i still want quality. If they do more episodes like Episode Four, ill be back here complimenting them for it.

13. The Shape In the shadows

shauner, you're starting to sound like a broken record, dude. How many times can you say the same things over and over and over again? Save your typing energy for some new material.

14. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

I think it needs some work.

It can be cheesy somewhat and I saw it clearly.
    It needs to find its footing. But I can't bash them for trying something different. The Balloonman may have failed at a few things, but at least they tried a villain in the vain of the comics.

I have to wait and judge it for myself to give it a proper assessment. I'm just commenting why I think people are turned off by it.
    People are unsure if its supposed to be this or that, Nolan or Burton, a cop show or a comicbook show.
    And I like I said, it's up to the producers to get it right. It just needs better balancing.

All in all, I like it so far and I'm not going to let a few things spoil my viewing. I'm being open minded, because I knew I was going to fall victim to the pitfalls.

15. shauner111 Registered

[​IMG]

16. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

I never even noticed this, but Gotham uses the same location for Wayne Manor as Batman Forever.

[​IMG]

17. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

You can sense the Shumacerism in this show and that has confirmed it! :o

18. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Not a bad thing at all... unless McKenzie starts cutting holes in his shirt revealing his nipples. :o

19. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

20. Lilbaz Registered

You do realise the vast majority of viewers probably wouldn't know who Kyle, Nygma or Cobblepot are? Most people don't watch cartoons or read comics. They may have heard of Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman but they will need clues as to who they are in the series.
    The makers of this have to keep the average viewer in mind. Could they have done it over a couple of episodes. Yes probably. But it is the pilot that determines whether the show is made or cancelled. So they went a bit overkill.

21. shauner111 Registered

Sure. But not every scene needs to be like that. Why do they have to anyway? We're never gonna see Selina dress like catwoman and never see Nygma as the Riddler, so why do all these references in just the first couple of episodes? To get viewers. I personally dont like that because it seems desperate. Just treat them like Selina and Edward and Pamela. The fans will understand the nod and the general audience will just see them as characters, or they'll figure it out themselves. But i disagree about Selina Kyle as a name. I think the majority know who that is.

22. The Guard Registered

The references to future villains, etc are the shows "puns".

I think it's kind of cute.

23. Naked Shia Greece is the best coutry

not to mention they really toned it down after the pilot (save for the cat). For the record, I don't think there are such things as true or false fans. That said, I do believe some people were in the mindset of hating the show long before it even aired.

24. Enriquespy Registered

I have enjoyed it so far. I dont really ejoy much the "Soap opera" bits about montoya, Barbara and Gordon, but that is nitpicking.

Show could still be better .-. ._.

25. Sawyer High King

Pertwee said on Twitter that Guy Ferland is directing episode 10. He's directed a bunch of Sons of Anarchy and TWD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.