The Avengers The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit off topic but when tih was in the campaigning stages the fight between abomination and hulk was said to be 26 minutes does anyone remember this? If so what happenile it was only like 10 if that

I don't know where some people are getting their info from, but the Incredible Hulk TV show was successful in it's time
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1977.htm
Not in the top 25 for 77-78 (The Incredible Hulk #26)
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1978.htm
Not in the top 30 for 78-79
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1979.htm
Not in the top 30 for 79-80
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1980.htm
Not in the top 30 for 80-81
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1981.htm
Not in the top 30 for 81-82

I think comic fans think that show was a much bigger hit than it really was. I was the biggest Hulk fan going and I was excited about it too...until I saw it. It could not be termed a "hit"....it just managed to hang on long enough to get some faulty ideas about the character into the general consciousness.

I was just reading about that show....the TV producers wanted to make the Hulk red for a while! Oh my god...just how clueless were they? They called Banner "David" because they thought Bruce was "too gay sounding". :woot:

I can't take anything serious about that show.

Whether it was good or not, it elevated Hulk to pop culture icon status, which he still clings onto today.

Jeet, everything you say about that show in regards to the Hulk himself I agree with, and have said myself in here. But what your suggesting about cutting Banner out completely is where we disagree.

Just like any other superhero, the trick is making the alter ego interesting. Before Bale, I couldn't care less about any of the previous "Bruce Waynes" now I prefer his Wayne over his own Batman. Same thing with RDJ's Stark, which makes those films way better than IM does, TBH.

Inherently Banner can be a dry character, and like you pointed out, Bixby strayed from that somewhat, which to me isn't a big deal as long as it works. Its up to the creative team along with the actor to decide how to improve this. As much as it was a corny scene, I loved when Norton's Bruce tried to have sex. Had there been a little more of that humanity, perhaps the role wouldn't be so bland, and conversely, make the Hulk himself something more meaningful beyond an action device.

People who compares Bixby as Banner with the cinematic counterparts usually forget the actor (every actor) in a tv series has a lot more time to show his character, to really develop it, and find the right balance of emotions and characteristics.

It was one of the longest running superhero shows ever, at least until recent years like Smallville came along.

But yeah, it was definitely a success.

The key element missing from the 2003 and 2009 that the TV did right was to bring some element of danger or foreboding in anticipation of the transformation. It made the audience tense and provided emotional release when he finally did transform and release. It wasn't just a suit that Bruce wore in other words. 2003 and 2009 didn't do that aspect justice. 2009 attempted part of it making it tense but there was no real punishment factor or reward for Hulking out -- no emotional punch, it was just a suit essentially. 2003 approached it from the other end, the feeling of release and letting go of the pent up anger.

People who compares Bixby as Banner with the cinematic counterparts usually forget the actor (every actor) in a tv series has a lot more time to show his character, to really develop it, and find the right balance of emotions and characteristics.

I don't, I'm talking strictly the Pilot, which to me is still his finest work on the show (maybe put The Married Episodes too) and easily outclasses both film iterations IMO.

The Hyperbaric Chamber experiment in the Pilot alone shows a full range of emotions. The anticipation that he's on the right track, anger at Elaina not wanting to do it, frustration when it fails and ultimately the hope they instill in each other, punctuated by a touch separated by glass. I could feel his dire situation in that one scene more than anything in either feature film. And that's why the whole thing works, not Ferrigno. Not in the slightest. And a pure cgi creation without that emotional investment is even worse.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I carefully placed the word "usually" in there :)

This is a bit off topic but when tih was in the campaigning stages the fight between abomination and hulk was said to be 26 minutes does anyone remember this? If so what happenile it was only like 10 if that

Yeah I do, that's why I was disappointed in the 8 minute fight scene we got in the actual film. :csad:

Someone later clarified that he meant a 26 minute final act, perhaps including Abomination vs the army. Who knows, ways to sell a movie I guess.

I thought LL rationalized the "mis-information" by stating that the 26 min was referring to the final act as a whole. Who knows for sure? I also vaguely remember someone saying that one of the scripts called for an intense fight scene in a mall, or something like that, that had to be cut out for budget concerns.

Funnily enough, the military facility/desert/San Francisco sequence in Ang Lee's Hulk lasted about 26 minutes.

I don't, I'm talking strictly the Pilot, which to me is still his finest work on the show (maybe put The Married Episodes too) and easily outclasses both film iterations IMO.

The Hyperbaric Chamber experiment in the Pilot alone shows a full range of emotions. The anticipation that he's on the right track, anger at Elaina not wanting to do it, frustration when it fails and ultimately the hope they instill in each other, punctuated by a touch separated by glass. I could feel his dire situation in that one scene more than anything in either feature film. And that's why the whole thing works, not Ferrigno. Not in the slightest. And a pure cgi creation without that emotional investment is even worse.

I agree with you on everything. I myself think the pilot (and yes, Married and Prometheus) is better than both Hulk recent movies. I cannot believe they haven't been able to make today with all that technology a truly thrilling, hair-rising, stunning metamorphosis like they did in the series with a camera, make-up, contact lenses, prothetics and smart editing.

Was anyone satisfied with the hulk abomination fight at the end of tih?

I thought the fight itself was pretty good, I just wish there were more blows traded and I would've rather seen Hulk pummel Abomination into submission instead of choking him.

I thought the fight itself was pretty good, I just wish there were more blows traded and I would've rather seen Hulk pummel Abomination into submission instead of choking him.

More blows traded? I dunno man, those two beat the hell out of each other.

for once...i'd like to see banner running across the field to try and save rick jones...enough with this gamma experimentation on banner. enough with him sitting on that chair. let's do it how it was written.

I would have liked to see a little more just punching each other, but Im still happy with how TIH had its end fight. But if it'd been a little longer I would not be complaining at all

I think the scene that we got in TIH was pretty good. One of the best action scenes in a comic movie.

The pacing of the battle was to slow for me. There weren't enough blows and there were almost no power punches exchanged (punches that knock people of there feet). They would hit each other like two or three times then stop. The combat portion of battle just wasn't that intense.

Last edited:
The only power hit is when abomination hits hulk and he is flung into the building that was a powerful blow because hulk flew quickly into the building
This is kind of random but whenever hulk is depicted In fire or walking through it I always wonder how his hair doesn't burn I mean it doesn't regenerate does it and also has it ever been said if hulk can regenerate a limb?

Last edited:
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1977.htm
Not in the top 25 for 77-78 (The Incredible Hulk #26)
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1978.htm
Not in the top 30 for 78-79
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1979.htm
Not in the top 30 for 79-80
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1980.htm
Not in the top 30 for 80-81
http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1981.htm
Not in the top 30 for 81-82

I think comic fans think that show was a much bigger hit than it really was. I was the biggest Hulk fan going and I was excited about it too...until I saw it. It could not be termed a "hit"....it just managed to hang on long enough to get some faulty ideas about the character into the general consciousness.

I was just reading about that show....the TV producers wanted to make the Hulk red for a while! Oh my god...just how clueless were they? They called Banner "David" because they thought Bruce was "too gay sounding". :woot:

I can't take anything serious about that show.

Well still did better than the recent movies. Or comics. Wasn't the original Hulk series cancelled after only FIVE issues? :cwink:

Now, Ken Johnson, creator and producer of the show, wanted the Hulk red because that made a lot more sense than green. After all, the whole reason for green was that the printing machine didn't print a good gray, so Stan Lee just picked up any color randomly.

And it's very well documenmted that the change of name was because theyt wanted to make a difference from the comics and Bruce Banner had the classic name alliteration that they wanted to avoid. But it's a mistake to think they changed Bruce to David. The name of the comics' character is Robert Bruce Banner, and in the series is David Bruce Banner.

And I didn't know it didn't make it to the top ten, nor did I care, but it got an Emmy for best actress in a sci fi series, which was not very common - if it had ever happened at all before - and it's still the main referent within the GA about the character. That's why Ang Lee and Leterrier kept things from it.

I thought the fight was decent enough. The problem was just that Blonsky was a weak villain. He didn't have a strong personality or screen presence or motivation.

Definitely the weakest of the main villains of the MCU films.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"