The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

I played basketball on Saturday then took advantage of the extra hour and went for a three mile run yesterday morning.
Well done. :up:

I’ve been on that enforced rest since the first and tomorrow am travelling to Edinburgh. Hopefully on Weds I’m ok to restart. If so will have a lot of catching up to do to still get to 300k after 7 consecutive days out in a 30 day month.

Well done. :up:

I’ve been on that enforced rest since the first and tomorrow am travelling to Edinburgh. Hopefully on Weds I’m ok to restart. If so will have a lot of catching up to do to still get to 300k after 7 consecutive days out in a 30 day month.
I’m trying to pick it up for you in your absence! 4 and a half miles last night.

I’m curious, are you enjoying getting some rest, or is it killing you to not be running? When I have times where I have to pull away after extended periods of consistent running, I have experienced both emotions. For me, it depends on why I am having to not run. I usually welcome a rest to recover from injury, but I also can be resentful of the times where my schedule gets in the way and I cannot run.

I’m trying to pick it up for you in your absence! 4 and a half miles last night.

I’m curious, are you enjoying getting some rest, or is it killing you to not be running? When I have times where I have to pull away after extended periods of consistent running, I have experienced both emotions. For me, it depends on why I am having to not run. I usually welcome a rest to recover from injury, but I also can be resentful of the times where my schedule gets in the way and I cannot run.

Haha, nice, you've picked up the baton. :D Great stuff on the additional distance.

I'm trying today for my first run since the break and hopefully that injury has healed sufficiently. I'm on hols in Edinburgh so there will be some crazy hills here.

I see this as a long-term thing now so even the rest periods and enforced time off is part of the process of progressing. Even after 8 days of no runs I very much feel like a runner now and it's not a stop due to a lack of willpower, so the streak continues in my head. I've spent many years trying to streamline my schedule so I would always have exercise as a priority now and it helps get other things done more quickly after anyway, makes the remaining time of the day more efficient. Will have to see if 300km is still possible for the month after only one run in the month so far!

First run done! 7 miles across a bunch of non-stop Edinburgh hills. Probably couldn’t have done any more though lol after the long break.

On way back from hols today and it didn’t work out on the running front after that one solitary run lol. Restarting again tomorrow with a lot of catching up
to do. :D

I’m taking a hiatus until my checkup next week. I have had a lot of soreness in my lower abdomen for about two and a half weeks, especially after I run. Last week it really flared up after a 5 mile treadmill run. I’m thinking that it might be a strained groin that happened when I played flag football a few weeks ago. But there is a chance that it could be a hernia. If it is, it wouldn’t be my first (or even second,)

Either way, I probably need to not be pushing it too hard. But it is frustrating how much I have injuries after turning 45 years old.

Well I’ve had a bit of a break this KO th lol but back to work tomorrow and should be doing the run commute there and back for about 13.4 miles. Hopefully it’s not got any more difficult after that time off.

I’m taking a hiatus until my checkup next week. I have had a lot of soreness in my lower abdomen for about two and a half weeks, especially after I run. Last week it really flared up after a 5 mile treadmill run. I’m thinking that it might be a strained groin that happened when I played flag football a few weeks ago. But there is a chance that it could be a hernia. If it is, it wouldn’t be my first (or even second,)

Either way, I probably need to not be pushing it too hard. But it is frustrating how much I have injuries after turning 45 years old.
Oh so it’s different to that existing unity you were recovering from. Hopefully not serious and can recover quickly. What is flag football exactly? Injuries are definitely frustrating. Are there other low impact fitness things you can do in the meantime or better to have s fill on rest. I use the cross trainer and regular walking when I want to rest from running.

Oh so it’s different to that existing unity you were recovering from. Hopefully not serious and can recover quickly. What is flag football exactly? Injuries are definitely frustrating. Are there other low impact fitness things you can do in the meantime or better to have s fill on rest. I use the cross trainer and regular walking when I want to rest from running.
Yes. It’s different. Before it was my knee, but that has healed pretty well. My knee was feeling good on my last few runs. But my abdomen has had tightness and shooting pain, which concerned me that I could have a hernia, but I don’t seem to have any swelling, so I’m thinking that it is probably just a strain. But I am due for my yearly physical and I’ll let my doctor make the call.
I may keep doing some walking, which would probably not make the injury any worse.

Also, to answer your other question, flag football is one of my favorite activities. It is basically American football, but without tackling. Instead, you wear a belt with three flags velcroed to the belt. In order to “tackle” someone, you have to pull the flag from their belt. It is American football that places more emphasis on speed and athleticism than raw strength.
upload_2022-11-21_13-29-57.jpeg

Yes. It’s different. Before it was my knee, but that has healed pretty well. My knee was feeling good on my last few runs. But my abdomen has had tightness and shooting pain, which concerned me that I could have a hernia, but I don’t seem to have any swelling, so I’m thinking that it is probably just a strain. But I am due for my yearly physical and I’ll let my doctor make the call.
I may keep doing some walking, which would probably not make the injury any worse.

Also, to answer your other question, flag football is one of my favorite activities. It is basically American football, but without tackling. Instead, you wear a belt with three flags velcroed to the belt. In order to “tackle” someone, you have to pull the flag from their belt. It is American football that places more emphasis on speed and athleticism than raw strength.
View attachment 60098
I hope it's minor then and the doc calls it as such. Good timing for the physical.

Oh cool, seems very similar to touch rugby then - I think they also sometimes play with flags these days. I enjoy that too, although I played regular rugby all throughout school.

Postponed going to the office till today and I feel like I’m officially back as of today! 12.4 miles across the 2 run commutes today.

That’s great news!
My routine has been off with no office days and run commutes to help keep up the extra miles. Have got tons of walking and cross-trainer calories in but not been running every day yet. Determined not to have an extended period off over winter as I did last year which made it hard and slow when coming back.

i've been thinking of getting into light weight lifting to help me get stronger while my dad is in a wheelchair indefinitely. it would help me lift him easier, and help me improve form so that i don't injure myself. my lower back has been bothering me since thursday night, where i assisted him a lot.

can anyone recommend any good materials to read/watch?

i've been thinking of getting into light weight lifting to help me get stronger while my dad is in a wheelchair indefinitely. it would help me lift him easier, and help me improve form so that i don't injure myself. my lower back has been bothering me since thursday night, where i assisted him a lot.

can anyone recommend any good materials to read/watch?
I’m not sure about materials to read, but I’d recommend doing squats. If you learn to do squats or deadlifts with good form, it will give you all around strength and save your back. I’d say that the likely culprit of your sore back may not be lack of strength but likely is caused by lifting with bad form, which puts strain on the wrong areas. Backs are really tricky and finicky. (Take it from a guy who once threw out his back picking up a ping pong ball!)
The general rule is to never curve your back when lifting anything. A straight back will save you a lot of pain. Also consider investing in a weightlifting belt which will help a lot.

I’m sorry by the way to hear that you have an ailing parent. My heart goes out to you there. I’ve been there before.

thank you @Babillygunn

i think the form has/had a lot to do with it. i also have degenerative disc in my L4 or L5, i forget which. heck, mightve been both. it's been at least 5 years since i've had that looked at

thank you @Babillygunn

i think the form has/had a lot to do with it. i also have degenerative disc in my L4 or L5, i forget which. heck, mightve been both. it's been at least 5 years since i've had that looked at
I have herniated C5 with nerve damage in my right tricep and hand. So I understand completely.

8.75 mile run and 4.5 mile walk back yesterday. November has been poor for running after the initial wound that took ages to heal and then being away for a week so lost a lot of fluency that month. Can see December also being up and down with a lot of commitments and events but want to keep up as much as I can. Diet has been very good though in this period so far (ahead of Xmas lol).

I have been trying to do some home renovations and also working a lot. That plus family obligations have squeezed out exercise and sleep. I’m a bit concerned because I’m feeling really run down. But I plan on renewing my gym membership and also getting my youngest son a membership as well. He has basketball season still going for another 6 or 7 weeks, but then his time will free up a lot and he will be able to join me. I find that I’m much better with working out in the winter if I have a gym membership. It’s hard to want to go running when it gets dark at 5:00 at night.

I have been trying to do some home renovations and also working a lot. That plus family obligations have squeezed out exercise and sleep. I’m a bit concerned because I’m feeling really run down. But I plan on renewing my gym membership and also getting my youngest son a membership as well. He has basketball season still going for another 6 or 7 weeks, but then his time will free up a lot and he will be able to join me. I find that I’m much better with working out in the winter if I have a gym membership. It’s hard to want to go running when it gets dark at 5:00 at night.
Ah, tough. Try and get on top of the sleep at least. I hate that feeling of continuous days with not enough. Hope all the above works out. I might be doing some indoor training from home as the weather is absolutely freezing at the moment.

I was traveling for work this week. Went to the hotel gym and there was only one treadmill and it was being used. So I used an elliptical for the first time in years. I might need to incorporate that into my exercise regime. I felt great after 45 minutes on the machine.

I was traveling for work this week. Went to the hotel gym and there was only one treadmill and it was being used. So I used an elliptical for the first time in years. I might need to incorporate that into my exercise regime. I felt great after 45 minutes on the machine.
Yeah, I love those. Have had an expensive gym standard one for a decade or so at home. Been using that while the roads have been covered in frost making running a bit dangerous.

Xmas done! Hope you all had a great one! Now time to start thinking about proper rebooting the fitness for the new year. I had an amazing stretch way beyond my expectations on the running front from May till October last year, before a holiday, an injury and ice/weather broke up the momentum. Looking forward to starting again right at the beginning of the year this time, and again taking it till deep winter in case ice hits again. Icy surfaces are the only non-extreme weather condition that would put me off running.

ive really fallen off the wagon since the summer but i intend to start tightening up. small steps so i dont overwhelm and dissuade myself.

going to start meal prepping a little more. making some spaghetti right now and going to put the rest in containers. can get at least 2-3 meals out of it and won't be wasting money on fast food or restaurants

For Christmas I got my youngest son (almost 15 years old) a gym membership with me. We hit it yesterday. Great time. We each did chest press, cable flys, rows, lat pulls, a 2 mile treadmill run, and some ab work.
Going to try to get at least 3-4 visits in a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"