The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly recommend this program called Shortcut to Shred:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred-training-overview.html

Wait training that incorporates a lot of HIIT. It's very tough but Jim Stoppani breaks down the training program and the nutrition aspect of it. At least give it a look and watch some of his videos on it. I think this sounds about what you're going after (Gaining muscle/losing fat).

Actually just started a program like this (based on this, with a few modifications) yesterday. I enjoyed the cardio bursts between sets.

To be honest, I killed it in the gym yesterday and today like I haven't in years. BEAST MODE was on! I was yelling at the weights, YELLING! CUSSING them damn things out. The 2 guys working with me were like WTF. I didnt give a damn. Try and keep up fellas, I'm tearing **** up over here. If not, get out of my ****ing way.

I think it was the combination of a new program and channeling a lot of anger and frustration from things that happened last week (long story, but life can suck sometimes).

Last edited:
^ I hope you don't work out at Planet Fitness lol!

^ I hope you don't work out at Planet Fitness lol!

Lol. We don't even have a Planet Fitness here, but if we did, I damn sure wouldn't be a member!
Nah, this was at the gym at my work, actually.

What's the issue with them?

Look them up, they are a "judgement free zone."
To them, that means, no scale in the locker room, no bandanas, no grunting (they literally have an alarm called the "lunk alarm" to determine if you are grunting or not), no gallon jugs of water, no dead lifting, and about a dozen more stupid rules aimed at keeping the stereotypical bodybuilder or power lifter away.
Not to mention, I don't think they even have any squat racks or heavy dumbbells.
Oh, and they have free Tootsie Rolls up at the front desk and once a month free pizza parties.
Seriously.

Last edited:
What's the issue with them?

Look them up, they are a "judgement free zone."
To them, that means, no scale in the locker room, no bandanas, no grunting (they literally have an alarm called the "lunk alarm" to determine if you are grunting or not), no gallon jugs of water, no dead lifting, and about a dozen more stupid rules aimed at keeping the stereotypical bodybuilder or power lifter away.
Not to mention, I don't think they even have any squat racks or heavy dumbbells.
Oh, and they have free Tootsie Rolls up at the front desk and once a month free pizza parties.
Seriously.

Pretty much this. I've never been to one myself but there are a few funny videos on youtube.

I go to Planet Fitness.. :hehe:

I take it you don't throw the weights around too often? :oldrazz:

Goddammit!!!

No more training for me this week. I seem to have picked up a chest infection... No sense gymming(!) until it clears up.

To say I am pissed off about this is somewhat of an understatement! :cmad:

I feel for you buddy. Hate it when that happens.

Thanks man. I've just got to try and be careful and don't let this be an excuse to eat a load of crap food...

Pretty much this. I've never been to one myself but there are a few funny videos on youtube.

I take it you don't throw the weights around too often? :oldrazz:

I never did even when I was working out at my college gym, that doesn't have a lunk alarm. Even if I couldn't do any more repetitions. I wait a few second, gain my strength back and slowly drop them. But usually I have a spot if I am using a lot of weight. And When I am done They help me drop them. I never understood the whole throwing weights on the ground. I am afraid I would drop it on someones toe..:woot: or my toe. :wow:

The benches also get really crowded. So the last thing I would want to do is hurt someone. :doh:

Last edited:
I never did even when I was working out at my college gym, that doesn't have a lunk alarm. Even if I couldn't do any more repetitions. I wait a few second, gain my strength back and slowly drop them. But usually I have a spot if I am using a lot of weight. And When I am done They help me drop them. I never understood the whole throwing weights on the ground. I am afraid I would drop it on someones toe..:woot: or my toe. :wow:

The benches also get really crowded. So the last thing I would want to do is hurt someone. :doh:

Yeah I never understood the point of dropping weights, especially if they bounce around. And it can't be good for the weights either.

Yeah I never understood the point of dropping weights, especially if they bounce around. And it can't be good for the weights either.

I've only dropped them either when

A.) I literally couldn't do the weight I was attempting (usually maxing on Squat) and then I always made sure to drop it safely.

or

B.) I'm at the end of a set and I'm dead. But even then I've always been very careful when dropping weights. I had a friend who was doing chest flys on a bench and went to drop his weights...but there were dumbbells on the ground next to his bench. He smashed his finger between the dumbbell he was holding and the one on the ground. Ouch. :csad:

So after a pretty lazy, stew and chili-filled winter, I've been getting myself back into it in the last 3-4 weeks. The last two I've been great about 5 mornings of cardio followed by abs, with 7 afternoons/evenings of lifting. My weight's kind of stuck in the mid 180s, with my BF stagnant at about 17.5% according to my Fitbit scale. The frustrating thing is my wife and coworkers all are seeing the muscle growth already, and I've lost an inch maybe off my waist since the end of March. This week I'm upping my morning LISS from 30 min to 60 min, targeting somewhere between 67-70% heart rate. If that doesn't get the BF moving, I may just put more stock in the mirror and belt notches than the Fitbit scale.

Goddammit!!!

No more training for me this week. I seem to have picked up a chest infection... No sense gymming(!) until it clears up.

To say I am pissed off about this is somewhat of an understatement! :cmad:

Hope you get better quickly sir.

I agree. I really try to have proper gym etiquette for the most part (return weights, wipe the sweat, not hog a bench, etc). I think that some folks think that dropping weights makes them tough....I would argue that LIFTING them is the part that impresses, not dropping. LOL.

Also, with my cursing and yelling the other day, keep in mind, this is in a gym in the basement of the building where I work. There MIGHT be a total of 6 people who EVER use it and me and my 2 training partners (who were there when I went Captain Insano) make up half of that number.
I actually brought in (donated?) a bench, dumbbells from 20-85, and other equipment (ab wheel, etc) in order to "beef up" this little gym.

So after a pretty lazy, stew and chili-filled winter, I've been getting myself back into it in the last 3-4 weeks. The last two I've been great about 5 mornings of cardio followed by abs, with 7 afternoons/evenings of lifting. My weight's kind of stuck in the mid 180s, with my BF stagnant at about 17.5% according to my Fitbit scale. The frustrating thing is my wife and coworkers all are seeing the muscle growth already, and I've lost an inch maybe off my waist since the end of March. This week I'm upping my morning LISS from 30 min to 60 min, targeting somewhere between 67-70% heart rate. If that doesn't get the BF moving, I may just put more stock in the mirror and belt notches than the Fitbit scale.

^ Why is that frustrating?
Others seeing muscle growth AND you lost an inch from your waist in a month? I call that genuine progress. :yay:

Last edited:
It's frustrating that the scale isn't telling me the obvious truth. I may just invest in some calipers.

The scale can be your worst enemy. Putting on weight doesn't necessarily mean you're gaining fat. I have a friend who is quite overweight and she has been working out and eating right for a year now and has only lost 66 pounds. The issue is that she's working out a lot and lifting weights and gaining muscle. Although she feels like she's not losing enough weight, she is looking much better because her body is getting fitter.

Muscle is denser than fat too. I'd go by how I look and how my clothes fit.

Although for extremely obese people, you can often only see a difference on the scale. So it depends.

The scale can be your worst enemy. Putting on weight doesn't necessarily mean you're gaining fat. I have a friend who is quite overweight and she has been working out and eating right for a year now and has only lost 66 pounds. The issue is that she's working out a lot and lifting weights and gaining muscle. Although she feels like she's not losing enough weight, she is looking much better because her body is getting fitter.

"only 66 pounds" is nearly half of my body weight.:funny:

I haven't been gaining much weight, I've just been eating when I get hungry and busting my butt when I work out, and I'm feeling better about myself.

Yeah. The Fitbit scale's been great for BF, but it's really been throwing me the last week or two. I just pulled the trigger on calipers, so I should have them Friday. My weekly weigh-in on Sunday will be exactly one month before driving to the beach, so it'll be a good "before" session with measurements and pics.

This. One doesn't need to lose weight anyway. It can just be redistributed in different ways - eg instead of around your belly, it is around your arms, shoulders and chest. Being a certain weight isn't necessarily a problem unless it's fat.

How much does the Hulk weigh? I'm sure he doesn't ever step on a pair of scales, scratch his head and wonder how he can lose weight. But I'm sure he's heavier than most overweight people.

It's frustrating that the scale isn't telling me the obvious truth. I may just invest in some calipers.

Don't focus 100% on the scale.
Your strength is apparently up, and you HAVE lost size in your waist. If anyone saw you, they would likely notice some changes (as you already mentioned). So **** the scale and its numbers. Use multiple methods to determine your improvement, not just a number on a scale.

66 pounds in a year is great progress, that is 5.5 pounds a month! Some people would kill to make progress like that.
I have told this story in this thread before, but a friend of mine weighed 490 at one point (@ 5' 11"). His health was utter ****, as it would be expected.
One day, he made a decision to start working out with me, and later, did things on his own. He did nothing drastic (weight loss pills, etc), just made better food decisions and was CONSISTENT with daily exercise.
About 2.5 years later, he was 230 pounds and ran in the Peachtree Roadrace in Atlanta.
Tell your friend to celebrate her success so far, and if her progress has stagnated, to find ways to spice up her routine to ensure continued progress and lack of boredom.

Muscle is denser than fat too. I'd go by how I look and how my clothes fit.

Although for extremely obese people, you can often only see a difference on the scale. So it depends.

^ This. Don't forget about basic improvements, like increase in strength and/or cardio ability. Can you walk/run farther than 1-6 months ago without getting tired? Can you lift more weight? Are your rest periods seeming to be much more effective (you get your heart rate down more quickly, etc)?
What about blood pressure, cholesterol, etc?

People worry more about their weight, because that is what they think (and probably right) others see immediately and what they want to change the most. But a better diet and exercise routine WILL benefit someone in more ways than just moving the arrow on a scale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"