The Official Mass Effect Thread - Part 2

Demon's Souls looks amazing and is the first game I've seen showing any next gen feel to it, but the Souls game's gameplay isn't really my thing. I would love to see this level of technical excellence in a future Mass Effect (ME2 was technically excellent too) or Dragon Age title.
Well, up until a few weeks ago when I started playing this Demons' Souls Remake, I would have said Souls games aren't really my thing, either. And if you had told me that I'd spend 99% of my PS5 time playing the new Demons' Souls, I would have laughed in your face and called you crazy!

However, I have found myself really enjoying DS Remake, once I've accepted it for the type of game that it is. And I can tell when a game has captured my interest when I can't stop thinking about it and can't wait to return to that game world. The last time this happened in recent memory was with Persona 5 in 2017 and before that was Dragon Age Origins in 2009.

And now I'm more open to trying the other Soulsborne games. I still would prefer gameplay like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, but now I am no longer completely against Soulsborne games.

And that just goes to show that I'll never rule out trying a game genre. And sometimes, it's just a matter of playing the right game at the right time to get you hooked and interested.

I do think I'm more receptive to Souls games now because over the past few years, I've watched certain anime series like Goblin Slayer, Sword Art Online, and other stories that revolve around RPG mechanics and surviving harsh, brutal worlds while having to manage your limited RPG resources. Playing through Demons' Souls now reminds me a bit of those anime series.

This also speaks to what I call "launch game" advantage. Because of the relative slim pickings of games at a console launch, you often find yourself trying games you may not normally play. And that could lead you to discovering a new favorite gem which you might have otherwise overlooked if it had not been a launch title.

Last edited:
I wish I could get excited. But I just can't.

Is that Liara? Not so long ago this would be one of the biggest reveals of a generation for me, but EA have really let Mass Effect die off while focusing on different failures.

I wish I could get excited. But I just can't.
Is that Liara? Not so long ago this would be one of the biggest reveals of a generation for me, but EA have really let Mass Effect die off while focusing on different failures.
no shepard no reek
So a long time ago, before Andromeda I once said the idea of Mass Effect without Shepard would not be a lasting thing. It just couldn't be. Shepard and their crew are Mass Effect. I had not seen this trailer till right now, but I think there is zero chance that isn't Liara picking up Shepard's armor. That smile is all you need to know. Shepard is coming back and because of that, they have my attention. Maybe the years of waiting will be worth. They have been forced back into the correct path through their own hubris. Good.

So a long time ago, before Andromeda I once said the idea of Mass Effect without Shepard would not be a lasting thing. It just couldn't be. Shepard and their crew are Mass Effect. I had not seen this trailer till right now, but I think there is zero chance that isn't Liara picking up Shepard's armor. That smile is all you need to know. Shepard is coming back and because of that, they have my attention. Maybe the years of waiting will be worth. They have been forced back into the correct path through their own hubris. Good.
I think they could make good content outside of the original crew, but nothing is going to get people as excited as seeing all their old favourites again. To me they are one of the best groups of characters in all of gaming.

To this day I am convinced that Mass Effect 3 should have been 3 more games. The Reaper War should have lasted YEARS.

Mass Effect 3 deals with liberating Earth and gaining alliances in the early months of the war. Mass Effect 4 is retaking Palavin, Mass Effect 5 is retaking Thessia. Finally Mass Effect 6 is uniting the whole galaxy in one large super fleet battle.

Looking back, making the Reaper War confined to one game was a mistake.

That's if development goes smoothly. Between Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda, the odds of this game being a smooth process is less than zero.
Yeah yeah games for this year are getting delayed just a few days in January. Dragon age would likely to be released as well and there's not even a single gameplay video for that.

To this day I am convinced that Mass Effect 3 should have been 3 more games. The Reaper War should have lasted YEARS.

Mass Effect 3 deals with liberating Earth and gaining alliances in the early months of the war. Mass Effect 4 is retaking Palavin, Mass Effect 5 is retaking Thessia. Finally Mass Effect 6 is uniting the whole galaxy in one large super fleet battle.

Looking back, making the Reaper War confined to one game was a mistake.
I wanted Bioware to take the Kiwami approach to Mass Effect. Remake each game from the ground up one at a time. That way by the time they get to the third installment, they could have given the third act of the trilogy the real revamp it needed.

I wanted Bioware to take the Kiwami approach to Mass Effect. Remake each game from the ground up one at a time. That way by the time they get to the third installment, they could have given the third act of the trilogy the real revamp it needed.

That too is not a bad idea. ME3 as fun as it was (ending aside) was just too small for such a large scale conflict. Needed more time.

For ME3 I would have loved the ending battle cut scene to be adaptable and include only the factions you managed to recruit.

I remember you saying that and the conversation I had with you back then, and I still disagree. The Mass Effect universe is bigger than the protagonist hosting it for the player. But the first two games were some of the best of the seventh generation and Commander Shepard has become a video game icon for sure.
hell yes. my most anticipated game(s) for this year

I am excited for the collection and it is looking pretty good overall. Like the tweaking they are doing to the first game in terms of quality of life. It's the best Mass Effect game imo, and they seem to just be making it better. Though still the same terrible inventory system. :argh:

Wish they'd make Jake romancable for FemShep as was originally intended, but whatever. I guess I will have to wait for the eventual remake in 10 years. :D

I am playing through Andromeda for the first time, and I am enjoying it well enough. It has what the first game has in terms of feeling like a proper sci-fi epic.

I'm actually really curious to see how ME1 will look since I actually liked it a lot.

Wish ME3's endings would be tuned up but oh well.

I'm actually really curious to see how ME1 will look since I actually liked it a lot.

Wish ME3's endings would be tuned up but oh well.
the tools they used to remaster the first game really gives Me1 an aesthetic revamp

So I played the s' out of Mass Effect 1 through 3. Just wished they had a less ambiguous ending with Shepard then just him breathing as a bone to throw to fans.

the tools they used to remaster the first game really gives Me1 an aesthetic revamp

I always hated that "iconic" femshep. She's unpleasant looking. ME 1&2 femshep is prettier and I changed ME3 females to look like the original. I'll be doing the same with this remaster.

I always hated that "iconic" femshep. She's unpleasant looking. ME 1&2 femshep is prettier and I changed ME3 females to look like the original. I'll be doing the same with this remaster.
114% with you on that. The CGI render of that femshep did not translate well at all on the unreal engine. My choice was #6 back then but still, there really was no need to change how femshep looked in the first place. Same with Spider-Man.

ob7grw8i51z51.png

kvinnligashepard_254003b.jpg

I remember how excited because they built up how all your decisions through the 1st 2 games would reflect in the 3rd and wonder by saving the Krogan and sparing the Rachni all for it to not really meaning too much in the 3rd game. They should have made a default game for those who didn't play the 1st 2 and then have the 3rd game really reflective choices. I slept with Ashley and Miranda. There should be consequences!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"