The Official Metal Gear Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we seem to say this every other page, but MGS2 is friggin' brilliant. So ahead of its time.

1178688190173.gif

One of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

predator-handshake-o.gif

I just see a good amount of Stockholm syndrome in here. :o

Will MGS V have any multiplayer does anyone know? Im only really interested in SP for a metal gear game but wondered if they had announced anything about it?

Will MGS V have any multiplayer does anyone know? Im only really interested in SP for a metal gear game but wondered if they had announced anything about it?
yeah MP has already been confirmed

Interesting, I know MG4 had multiplayer I think but don't know if it was very well received or not? Did anyone play it?
yeah it sucked. The details of the MP hasn't been revealed so we don't know what it will entail. It could be like Peace Walker which actually seems more likely since V is more of a sequel to that game

yeah it sucked. The details of the MP hasn't been revealed so we don't know what it will entail. It could be like Peace Walker which actually seems more likely since V is more of a sequel to that game

Ah had a feeling that's what I sort of heard about it at the time. Just hope they concentrate on SP then for V and it doesn't suffer because of it. Certainly doesn't look like it but just hope its not cut to 4-5 hours long because they want MP in it.

I'm loving Big Boss' look and clothing and stuff in Afghanistan in the trailer :awesome:

Also, I wonder if the MGS1 remake will have Hater as Solid Snake :funny:

Don't be jealous, that's just sour.

I'm loving Big Boss' look and clothing and stuff in Afghanistan in the trailer :awesome:

Yeah, I dig the look for Punished Snake, as he's being called, except for that horn. That just looks so utterly silly.

Anyway, I downloaded a demo for Rising. The camera is really awkward, took awhile to get used to, and I don't get the parry system at all. It's really just a horrible design choice to connect your parry system with the attack button (unless a parry is a counter attack at the same time, guess that would make sense). But it still seems pretty solid. I was hoping for something more in the style of Bayonetta, but it seems they tried to find some middle ground between that and MGS's more grounded pace. I'll pick it up when I get the extra money.

Last edited:

I have a feeling these ppl didnt like it nearly as much when it first came out, but after a while of hearing other fans trash the game, they changed their opinion.

Don't be jealous, that's just sour.

Yeah, I dig the look for Punished Snake, as he's being called, except for that horn. That just looks so utterly silly.

Anyway, I downloaded a demo for Rising. The camera is really awkward, took awhile to get used to, and I don't get the parry system at all. It's really just a horrible design choice to connect your parry system with the attack button (unless a parry is a counter attack at the same time, guess that would make sense). But it still seems pretty solid. I was hoping for something more in the style of Bayonetta, but it seems they tried to find some middle ground between that and MGS's more grounded pace. I'll pick it up when I get the extra money.
i didn't get the parry system at all in the demo but I think the full game does a better job at teaching it to you as mastering it is key to surviving. It works and simple enough to understand once you get it

Yea id agree with Havok, for the life of me could not figure out that parry system in the demo, but once you spend time with it in the full game. It works really well.

Yea id agree with Havok, for the life of me could not figure out that parry system in the demo, but once you spend time with it in the full game. It works really well.

Yeah it seems to be the key in boss fights more than anything. Once you master that your sorted!

I have a feeling these ppl didnt like it nearly as much when it first came out, but after a while of hearing other fans trash the game, they changed their opinion.

Lol, you always assume stuff like that. Honestly, I loved it when it first came out. Raiden was jarring and everything, but I didn't dislike the character at all and the game, at the time, was pretty much unsurpassed in uniqueness and experience. I played the hell out of it and Substance from the very beginning.

i didn't get the parry system at all in the demo but I think the full game does a better job at teaching it to you as mastering it is key to surviving. It works and simple enough to understand once you get it

Yeah, I looked it up online and once I did, I got it down pretty well. My main issue was that I was thinking parry as in simply dodging, and not a counterattack. It's pretty smooth once you get it down, I agree.

MGS2 was loved a lot when it first came out, and still is. It was just like Tron said a tad jarring. We all expected to play Snake, a character we came to love a lot, and it was slightly disappointing. Yes there was some annoying stuff with Rose, but the graphics, music, gameplay, design everything was beyond anything we had seen at the time. I remember buying it day one and not regretting it at all. And the reviews were glowing as well as the sales. I mean compared to some of the others, ya I would put the other three in some ways ahead of it. But that is by no means a bad thing, MGS2 is still one of my favorite experiences, and I still go back and play it.

Talking about all this makes me want MGSV even more.

I do believe MGS2 is still the highest selling game with something like 7 million units, too, if I'm not mistaken. Most of the hate from it is, I think is fair to say, quite a minority opinion. Some people just got to hate, they can't embrace the great :p

Lol, you always assume stuff like that. Honestly, I loved it when it first came out. Raiden was jarring and everything, but I didn't dislike the character at all and the game, at the time, was pretty much unsurpassed in uniqueness and experience. I played the hell out of it and Substance from the very beginning.

Haha thats because geek culture is just like that. Its so predictable its comical.

I agree though, i was shocked at how far ahead MGS2 was when it came out and i never had an issue with Raiden. I mean i kept wondering when Snake would show up, but i liked Raiden.

However id still put MGS2 at the end of the list. I enjoyed MGS1, MGS3 and MGS4 a little more than i enjoyed MGS2. Altho to be honest i havent played through MGS2 in quite some time. I started to replay it when the HD collection came out but got side tracked. Maybe its time to do another saga run through.

MGS2 was the first MGS game I played and I would put it after the console games and above the portables It would go like this for me:

MGS3
MGS4
MGS
MGS2
MGS PW
MGS PO

PO is the only one I don't like and its really only the controls which ruined it for me. If PW hadn't been ported to the PS3, Id have felt the same way. I rank 2 low but that doesn't take away from it as I love that game and thought it was amazing.

MGS2 was the first MGS game I played and I would put it after the console games and above the portables It would go like this for me:

MGS3
MGS4
MGS
MGS2
MGS PW
MGS PO

PO is the only one I don't like and its really only the controls which ruined it for me. If PW hadn't been ported to the PS3, Id have felt the same way. I rank 2 low but that doesn't take away from it as I love that game and thought it was amazing.

Thats exactly how my list would go.

Mine goes:

MGS (the original is always tops, it just changed so much, and was one hell of an experience when you went through it. Pyscho Mantis is still one of my favorites/unique boss fights)
MGS3
MGS4
MGS2
MG
MGS PW
MGS PO

Last edited:
My ranking:

Sons of Liberty
Snake Eater
Rising
Metal Gear Solid
Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear 2
Peace Walker
The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear

Wrong. I loved it the first time I played it.

I didn't stop playing MGS2 when it first came out. I honestly must have played through it about 10 times before I could finally put it down. So... no.

Wrong. I loved it the first time I played it.

Well duh, thats what you are supposed to say. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of you changing your opinion after the fact. Gosh.

I didn't stop playing MGS2 when it first came out. I honestly must have played through it about 10 times before I could finally put it down. So... no.

See above.

I don't really understand why it's so hard to understand why you'd actually like MGS2 as much as you say you do when it first came out. It's not as if it was bashed, it was pretty lauded. Really, as I mentioned, I really do think it's just a very vocal internet minority who paints the hate for the game, and I would estimate about 90-95% of that comes solely from Raiden. You're free to believe what you want, but whatevs, I think you only put MGS2 on the bottom of the line because of peer pressure anyway ;)

My list:

MGS3
MGS2
MGS
MGS4
PW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics