The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isnt related to Thor but in the Coming Attractions, did anyone else get that mysterious looking horror movie, the one with the kid looking around under the bedsheets? That **** looks scary, what movie is that???

I know this isnt related to Thor but in the Coming Attractions, did anyone else get that mysterious looking horror movie, the one with the kid looking around under the bedsheets? That **** looks scary, what movie is that???

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark remake, Del Toro wrote and produced.

Should Man of Steel take a cue from this one as far as how to portray god-like powers in a realistic manner?

by explaining that magic is science more advanced that ours....no

I don't have much to add, but I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. Mind you, I've never read a Thor comic in my entire life (or even read any comics that so much as featured him speaking in them) but this movie totally worked for me.

A few things that I would like to point out:
- Natalie Portman joins Jennifer Connolly in the 2003 Hulk movie as one of the few attractive scientist love interests we've seen in these comic book movies who is actually pretty believable as a scientist. The technobabble was at a minimum and felt like something she took seriously. She enjoyed her job and found meaning in it. Note how this is totally absent in movies like Fantastic Four and Incredible Hulk where Jessica Alba and Liv Tyler look legitimately funny wearing glasses, let alone using words like "radiation."

And that feels like it says a lot about the entire movie. The actors take it completely seriously, but the movie itself has levity. That's the balance that few of these movies strike. With the 2008 Incredible Hulk movie, it felt like Edward Norton was the only actor taking it seriously in a movie that took itself seriously.

-The dutch angles worked better than I thought they would. This is the first Marvel movie we've seen that seems to really pay tribute to Jack Kirby's visual style. That made me super happy.

-The audience went bugnuts insane when the credits read "Thor will return in The Avengers."

-Sif wound up being one of my favorite characters. She was a tough, bad-ass chick who had a personality and character beyond "action sequence lady"

-CHRIS HEMSWORTH IS ALPHA AS ****

Now that you mentioned Portman, i remembered something. I think they were going for science girl vs religion/magic/unexplained guy. But instead of having any conflict between them she was instantly swept off her feet by his abs and deep voice.

Not that its bad, i'm just sayan...

Well since most of you are seeing it now I guess I can go into a bit more depth than when I first reviewed it 2 weeks ago.

Biggest weakness in the film is the Earth stuff, as someone mentioned that second act felt really cheap. It probably had something to do with the setting, I think it would have been far better had that portion of the film been set in a city instead of small town USA, not only would Thor have to interact with a wider variety of human, but the stakes for genuine hurt to people in the final act would have increased dramatically. Really, no-one feels in any real danger. On top of that, Thor's change from arrogant God to humble one happens way too quickly, I don't buy it that someone can change overnight, it would have been better served if he actually spent some decent amount of time amongst humans, in different settings and locations, it actually could have been a grander story if he had to see what the world and humanity has to offer. It felt abridged for lack of better word.

Another plot issue I have is how Shield more or less just let Thor go, some dude breaks into a government facility and all it takes is a conjured up insanity story for him to be let go? That could have been handled way better.

The character stuff was great and clearly the best part of the film, the scene with Thor and Loki when Thor is locked up is probably my favourite of the film, great acting and directing there. And Anthony Hopkins as Odin, probably my favourite character in the film, he genuinely feels like father figure, it could have been so easy for him to play up the role but he lends a gravitas and weight to the role, the moment he banished Thor there's real power in the acting, he is a god at that point. Brilliant.

The most obvious thing this film lacked was confidence, it took me a week or so to figure out what it was about it that felt off, and it was a lack in self belief. There's this sort of walking on eggs shells feeling about it, like they were too worried about not screwing up as opposed to simply giving it their all. I guess I can't blame them, the character could easily have turned out wrong, but at the same time the lack of ambition makes the experience feel far too vanilla in flavour. I guess the biggest complaint I have is that there really wasn't any chances taken, the film works fine, but it's not the type of film I felt I had to watch again immediately.

Jmc, I agree with you about the earth stuff but i can sympathize with them for wanting to go through it very fast. It was kinda boring, and it would have been boring even in NY. In fact thank god for Shield and Hawkeye's brief cameo because they kept the comicbookiness going while the movie was turning into an independent film set in New Mexico.

Also, Kat Dennings was awful. She was just there to be Kat Dennings and she didnt even flash her boobs. Couldnt they have brought an unknown actress and given the character some substance for her to work with?

"Herp derp, i'm gonna talk about facebook and twitter so Thor can look out of place. So kewl."

Well since most of you are seeing it now I guess I can go into a bit more depth than when I first reviewed it 2 weeks ago.

Biggest weakness in the film is the Earth stuff, as someone mentioned that second act felt really cheap. It probably had something to do with the setting, I think it would have been far better had that portion of the film been set in a city instead of small town USA, not only would Thor have to interact with a wider variety of human, but the stakes for genuine hurt to people in the final act would have increased dramatically. Really, no-one feels in any real danger. On top of that, Thor's change from arrogant God to humble one happens way too quickly, I don't buy it that someone can change overnight, it would have been better served if he actually spent some decent amount of time amongst humans, in different settings and locations, it actually could have been a grander story if he had to see what the world and humanity has to offer. It felt abridged for lack of better word.

I agree with this

Another plot issue I have is how Shield more or less just let Thor go, some dude breaks into a government facility and all it takes is a conjured up insanity story for him to be let go? That could have been handled way better.

I think they knew he was lying and let him go to see what was going on....thats why he had people following them

The character stuff was great and clearly the best part of the film, the scene with Thor and Loki when Thor is locked up is probably my favourite of the film, great acting and directing there. And Anthony Hopkins as Odin, probably my favourite character in the film, he genuinely feels like father figure, it could have been so easy for him to play up the role but he lends a gravitas and weight to the role, the moment he banished Thor there's real power in the acting, he is a god at that point. Brilliant.

The most obvious thing this film lacked was confidence, it took me a week or so to figure out what it was about it that felt off, and it was a lack in self belief. There's this sort of walking on eggs shells feeling about it, like they were too worried about not screwing up as opposed to simply giving it their all. I guess I can't blame them, the character could easily have turned out wrong, but at the same time the lack of ambition makes the experience feel far too vanilla in flavour. I guess the biggest complaint I have is that there really wasn't any chances taken, the film works fine, but it's not the type of film I felt I had to watch again immediately.

I walked out of the thearter and just had a meh feeling about the film. I liked it and everything but I think as you said it was safe.

Jmc, I agree with you about the earth stuff but i can sympathize with them for wanting to go through it very fast. It was kinda boring, and it would have been boring even in NY. In fact thank god for Shield and Hawkeye's brief cameo because they kept the comicbookiness going while the movie was turning into an independent film set in New Mexico.

The comedy and the pacing is what ultimately helps cover up the flatness in the story in act 2. Had any of that been different chances are the film would have collapsed completely from that point on, as such they did a bit of slight of hand to get away with it.

I think a big part of Thor's change is when Loki visits him when he is in SHIELD custody.

Ironically, Loki's lies about Odin being dead, Thor's mother not wanting him back etc, seemed to make him grow up a bit i felt. When Loki was probably thinking it would destroy Thor. Made him realize the dire consequences of his childish behaviour. Loki says "Don't blame yourself" about Odin's death. Thor clearly did, that made him realize that yea, he was a *****e bag.

The comedy and the pacing is what ultimately helps cover up the flatness in the story in act 2. Had any of that been different chances are the film would have collapsed completely from that point on, as such they did a bit of slight of hand to get away with it.
I agree.
I think a big part of Thor's change is when Loki visits him when he is in SHIELD custody.

Ironically, Loki's lies about Odin being dead, Thor's mother not wanting him back etc, seemed to make him grow up a bit i felt. Made him realize the dire consequences of his childish behaviour. Loki says "Don't blame yourself" about Odin's death. Thor clearly did, that made him realize that yea, he was a *****e bag.
Yeah but the result came too fast. He should have struggled with it first and then mature. Its like they took a shortcut to the end result.

Saw a midnight showing last night. I'll write a full review later, but.......

9/10

Better than IM2, not quite as good as IM1, but it's darn close. The performances are great, and Hemsworth makes the character memorable. From the short time he owned the screen in Star Trek, he does the same here. He's a very charismatic actor, and his stock is going to increase 10 fold after this. Portman is great as Jane Foster. The characterization of Jane is slightly different from the comics, but actually I prefer the movie version.

Anthony Hopkins performance alone is worth the price of admission. He's really the only person who could have played Odin. Very powerful.

It can feel a bit rushed at times, but nothing to worry about. I have to laugh at people who say this movie was "safe".

Yeah but the result came too fast. He should have struggled with it first and then mature. Its like they took a shortcut to the end result.

Yes but I think that scene with Loki was just the tipping point. That was the spark that made him go "Yea you know what? I was a *****ebag. And now my dads dead and my mom doesn't want me home". And perhaps some acceptance that it was over, he'd never be back in Asgard. So get over it and accept you're gonna remain a mortal.

That wasn't the only thing of him maturing, as it were.

I think it could have been delved into more, yea. But in 2 hours or whatever it was, it was done pretty well. These are not comics where we can have like, a years worth of issues to show him maturing and learning from his mistakes. It's a two hour movie.

Last edited:
Also, Kat Dennings was awful. She was just there to be Kat Dennings and she didnt even flash her boobs. Couldnt they have brought an unknown actress and given the character some substance for her to work with?

"Herp derp, i'm gonna talk about facebook and twitter so Thor can look out of place. So kewl."

That's the one thing I'm not looking forward to when I see this tonight. I couldn't stand her so called humour in the trailer so I doubt I'll like it in the finished film.

My only gripe about this film is that Jane fell in love with Thor in like two days and the Thor/Loki and Thor/Destroyer Scene battles were short. But other than that this movie so kicked @$$!!! Probably one of my favorites now!! Action was good acting Story was good and direction was good!! Good job MARVEL!! Hope lightning can strike twice when Captain America comes out!!

You know I never had a problem with the Thor & Jane thing. In fact, it didn't even seem like Portman was acting. Hemsworth is indeed a lucious hunk of man meat.

Kat Dennings isn't outright awful. She's just not needed, especially since she distracts from Foster and Erik Selvig, who have some interesting conversations and seem to have a history...

Morningstar, as I said in my review, Portman plays Jane as an intelligent, dedicated scientist who's openly horny as hell when Thor shows up. Again, they're both smitten from moment one. It's rather cute to see how giddy Jane gets and how it distracts from the obvious fact that Thor's the evidence that she's been waiting her whole life for.

This is why, if this film gets a sequel, Jane has to go to Asgard.

i did get all goosebumpy when Thor caught the hammer and transfigured

Kat Dennings isn't outright awful. She's just not needed, especially since she distracts from Foster and Erik Selvig, who have some interesting conversations and seem to have a history...

Yea i can agree.

Selvig was actually, kinda interesting in his own right I thought. I imagined he would just be some generic guy there with a few lines warning Jane about Thor.

I really loved the scene with him and Thor at the bar with those big beer jugs

Morningstar, as I said in my review, Portman plays Jane as an intelligent, dedicated scientist who's openly horny as hell when Thor shows up. Again, they're both smitten from moment one. It's rather cute to see how giddy Jane gets and how it distracts from the obvious fact that Thor's the evidence that she's been waiting her whole life for.

This is why, if this film gets a sequel, Jane has to go to Asgard.

Yea that's what I liked about her. She comes off as really intelligent and pretty straight laced. Then Thor turns up and she's like *swoon*.

Although i could have done without her line when Thor got his powers back.

Morningstar,

Which one..."Oh. My. God." or "Is that how you normally dress?" Because, I hated the former.

saw it last nite and thought it was much better than i originally thought it would be. for some reason, i was almost expecting this to be another Ang Lee ""Hulk" film, but i'm sure glad it was not. great story, action and visual effects.

i also loved [BLACKOUT]Hawkeye's little cameo[/BLACKOUT]

all in all a very solid film. Kenneth Branah and the rest of the cast & crew did an excellent job

They needed a third character otherwise the scientists would be too few. Hell they could even throw a few more in there, just as long as they were not obnoxious and caricature characters. Kat's character was just that. The humor she brought was kinda lame.

Btw i dont see what's so great about Kat. Yeah she's got boobs, but i dont see anything else about her.
i did get all goosebumpy when Thor caught the hammer and transfigured
Me too!

Saw the midnight showing last night. I'll need to watch it a few more times to really be able to rank it against other comic book movies, but it's right up there with the best.

Here's what worked for me:
- Laufey: I thought Feore played this role perfectly. I was surprised how well the character turned out.
- Opening scenes: the battle with the Frost Giants was great. I LOVED how Thor killed the Juten beast.
- Loved Hawkeye.
- The scene with Loki and Thor at the SHIELD base was gutwrenching. Hemsworth nailed that part. "Can I come home?" So freaking sad (and great).
- Asgard, for the most part, was done really well and looked majestic, just how it should.
- Hemsworth, Hiddleston, and Hopkins played the family angle really well. The banishment scene, especially, was powerful.
- Anything with Mjolnir. The sound effects were outstanding and I loved how he used it in fighting the giants.
- Speaking of sound effects, the Destroyer's fire blast sounded like it would hurt. A lot.

And here's what didn't work:
- The movie moved too quickly. They needed to slow some spots down to let the audience breathe. His time on Earth is the biggest standout in this regard.
- Like everyone else has already said, the Destroyer fight was too short. It was Whiplash from IM2 all over again.
- The Warriors Three and Sif didn't get to show off their characters very well. It's hard to connect to them as an audience member with their limited screen time.
- Thor's release from the SHIELD base was too convenient. Not a huge deal, but it jumped out at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"