The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Thread Manager, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Morningstar Registered

Yea the former. I mean, the film had a nice serving of cheese... but that just pushed it way to far. It's one of those things that makes you squirm in your seat, if you know what I mean? Like you feel embarrassed or something.

2. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I thought Hemsworth and Portman had great chemistry together, and that made me buy the romantic angle. I think they played great off each other, much like Downey and Paltrow. I've never been a huge fan of Portman as an actress, but I was pleasantly suprised here.

3. Mr. Earle Registered

I dont remember this one. How did it go about?

4. Hush Wee Little Puppet Man

I'll keep my words brief and hopefully well thought out. It was great. The film was like a comic come to life and has done something that I feel other comic book movies fail to do in some respects, have scenes WITHOUT the main character. The scenes with the Warriors Three and Lady Sif just made me feel like I was watching a comic book scene out of JMS's run. I also enjoyed the character progression we see with many of the characters and how Loki is just so damn manipulative and Hiddelston did a great job at playing so many different sides of the story and plot as Loki usually does. You can't say anything more about Hopkins who is just THE MAN, Hemsworth is going to be a huge star in this Hollywood that is desperately lacking big Stars and Portman was fun in her role. The elements of the comic are there but they don't bang on your head like Mjolnir slammed through frost giants they are subtle and graceful like SHIELDS presence in the film. I would give it 10/10 It's what I as a Thor fan wanted very much.

5. .Rorschach. Hurm...

Watched it 6 times now..and obviously 10/10 for me

6. rnewbz More human than human

I am really surpised at how positve all the reviews for Thor are. I thought it was dissapointly decent. There were some great moments but the scenes on Earth were quite bland I felt like Portman's character lacked all sorts of depth. The comic relief was honestly a little much at times and Denning's character Darcy was a complete waste. I just feel like the feel was rushed and that the writers had so much to work with they just watered it down. After both Iron Man films and the Incredible Hulk, this was a dissapointment in a strong run.

7. J.Howlett Guest

Jane may lack depth but it's not based on performance. It's based on not enough given to her in the script. Portman, frankly, saves the role because of her genuine enthusiasm and her chemistry with Hemsworth.

It's just a part that's not written fully in the script...or it was and a lot got cut out.

8. Gamma Burst Registered

6 times?!:wow:

9. Alientraveller Registered

Jane's reaction to Thor's return in his costume. I liked it myself, I was expecting at least one joke about 'oh my God' (and we got two actually, the other being 'God I hope you're not crazy') and it summed up my own awe.

10. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I'm not seeing that. She's a scientist studying the Einstein-Rosen bridge which turns out to be bifrost, and that's how she intersects with Thor. Basically this is what she's been studying all her life and her answers are found in Thor. That's the way I took it anyway.

For Thor she is his dicovery of humility and thinking about others besides himself. Fighting for others to protect them rather than figting for glory or ego.

I thought it was perfectly executed in the script, and like I say from the comics she is a nurse who is nothing but a "will they? won't they?" in an almost soap opera like fashion.

11. J.Howlett Guest

Stark,

Well, yeah, I agree with you. I guess I should clarify a bit. Their romance, which really isn't a love romance anyway, lacks depth, not so much her.

What we needed was more of Jane and Thor together than what we got. It was adequate on second viewing but I would've liked a tad more. But, yeah, you're correct.

12. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

Looking back on it, the only disappointment for me besides the fact that the Thor vs. The Destroyer fight was too short was that Thor only wore his helmet in one scene. He better wear it for a lot of The Avengers. It's too iconic to just have a cameo appearance.

13. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Yeah I can see that. I'd be curious if there was a longer cut as originally thought. Not sure what was and wasn't cut. But I can understand wanting more because some of the best moments of the film are Thor and Jane talking to each other.

14. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

It might make more sense in Avengers with Cap and IM having their own helmets, that Thor would wear his in battle. I'm not sure though, because the movie portrayed it as a crown, not a helmet.

15. J.Howlett Guest

I also have to admit that I thought SHIELD was handled quite well. On first viewing, I wasn't happy. But, last night, I got to thinking.

If all of these citizens couldn't move the Hammer, eventually the local authorities would've got involved and that probably would've lead to the SBI (State Bureau), followed by the FBI eventually. I mean, nothing can move this object. Not to mention the atmospheric anomalies. That would've gotten the government's attention in a heartbeat.

Having SHIELD being the cliched authority figures trying to capture/kill/understand Thor made sense. I just wish they had a slightly proper introduction. But again, it's mostly more organic than Iron Man 2 in a major way.

16. Mr. Earle Registered

Thanks! :woot:

17. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I rewatched IM1 and IM2 the other day, and really the one that felt forced in IM2 to me was Coulson. I know alot of people say Black Widow, but I'd say Coulson, because he shows up, "you remember agent Coulson", and then the next scene is "Director Fury is reassigning me to New Mexico". I didn't feel that way originally, but on subsequent viewings it was like he was there only to set him up for Thor.

It's not a huge deal to me and doesn't ruin my enjoyment of IM2, but I wish they would have used him more, because I enjoyed the character so much in IM1. So Thor was the first time for me that we really got to see him in action again.

18. J.Howlett Guest

I hated everything about SHIELD in Iron Man 2. Seeing Thor last night only drove that point home harder. Scarlett was the only aspect of SHIELD that worked in that film.

19. El Payaso Registered

That's because she wasn't.

Kat Dennings' character was by far the worst about this movie. Neddless, unfunny and generic. Such a waste.

20. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

The only waste is your needless posts on correcting us how something we thought was funny was in fact (according to you) not funny.

21. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

^seeerriously
    never seen a troll with such a high post count, lol

22. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Shield didn't just let him go... They check Donald Blakes ID and see that it's falsified, so they let him go to follow him and find out answers.

23. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Holy crap, you're right! I don't think I saw her with a single Ned, not once!

24. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Also, every single IM 2 criticism for me has gone out the window. It might have felt like a forced midway point movie before, but now that we actually have one of the movies it's referencing, it bounces so naturally and fits in there.

It might have been a blunder on there part for a film, but once they're all on DVD, it's going to be so great to watch them back to back.

25. MahvelBaby! Registered

This sums up everything I felt while watching that scene, I felt that scene validated his quick turn, IMO ofcourse and like you said....2 hours :yay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.