The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won’t

But I get the growing sense that people in here really want it to

Agreed. I won't be mad at Marvel if this doesn't happen. Any rational fan won't be. The irrational ones are a small minority and no one cares. Avengers 4 will make 2 billion either way. As long as Marvel keeps making good movies, no one will care if the X-Men or FF are coming. It would be nice, for sure. But the MCU will be successful regardless.

I don't think there's going to be any fan backlash. I think plenty of people, myself included, will be disappointed, the salty people who don't care for Marvel's continued success will gloat, and then we'll all carry on with our lives.

Speak for yourself.:oldrazz: I've been waiting since the mid seventies for a good FF film, and I've gotten four steaming piles of s****. :cmad:

We do as fanboys, but the majority of people who watch these movies don't care, LOL

I don't think there's going to be any fan backlash. I think plenty of people, myself included, will be disappointed, the salty people who don't care for Marvel's continued success will gloat, and then we'll all carry on with our lives.
For me, The FF are a very important part of the Marvel Universe and the MCU will continue to feel incomplete without them imo. Granted, I know Marvel will be just fine with or without the First Family but I just feel they should be in the MCU more than even Spider-Man and if this deal falls through my heart will be broken as a fan of the characters.

I’ll move on, of course, but to me the MCU will never be ‘complete’ without the Fantastic Four.

Last edited:
I certainly would rather have the FF than not have the FF. The FF would make the MCU better. Absolutely no argument. That said, even if it never happens, I shall adore the MCU all the same until we see a real quality dip. But even if that happens, it won't diminish the great work they've done already.

For me, The FF are a very important part of the Marvel Universe and the MCU will continue to feel imcomplete without them imo. Granted, I know Marvel will be just fine with or without the First Family but I just feel they should be in the MCU more than even Spider-Man and if this deal falls through my heart will be broken as a fan of the characters.

I’ll move on of course but to me the MCU will never be ‘complete’ without the Fantastic Four.

Oh I certainly agree with you - the Lee/Kirby FF run is an all-time staple of my childhood and Marvel wouldn't be Marvel without the first family. Much as I love it, there's a hole in the MCU and it can only be filled by the FF, much more so than the X-men IMO.

I just don't think the fan backlash is going to be all that significant enough to warrant much concern.

Agreed. I won't be mad at Marvel if this doesn't happen. Any rational fan won't be. The irrational ones are a small minority and no one cares. Avengers 4 will make 2 billion either way. As long as Marvel keeps making good movies, no one will care if the X-Men or FF are coming. It would be nice, for sure. But the MCU will be successful regardless.
Where did you ever get the impression that anyone would be mad at Marvel? — Marvel Studios has virtually nothing to do with this deal. It’s their higher-ups at Disney who’s involved. The fans will be pissed at Comcast for ruining the deal & preventing the X-Men and Fantastic Four from joining the MCU not Marvel.

Where did you ever get the impression that anyone would be mad at Marvel? — Marvel Studios has virtually nothing to do with this deal. It’s their higher-ups at Disney who’s involved. The fans will be pissed at Comcast for ruining the deal & preventing the X-Men and Fantastic Four from joining the MCU not Marvel.

Again, not in any number that counts. Most of the audience that watch these movies won't care how this plays out. Those fanboys that will whine on Twitter/Facebook and maybe boycott a movie or 2 won't get anything accomplished. Comcast will be fine.

Looking at my join date, I've been here for over 15 years with one single, simple goal - a good FF film that did justice to the comic books I read and enjoyed so much as a kid.

For two and a half years after I joined, I hoped and expected that film would come in 2005.

It didn't.

But I reset and hoped the sequel would be it.

It wasn't.

Two years later, Disney bought Marvel and I thought that would be it. Fox announced a day or two later that they would be making another FF film, but the timing seemed too coincidental and I thought and believed it was all a ploy to get Disney, when they were throwing cash around, to buy the FF.

That didn't happen and by 2013, Fox was saying Josh Trank would direct their new film. Okay, Trank seemed talented (and not a comedy film director like Story) and Fox seemed like maybe they had learned something.

... but then we started hearing about the cast and other details. Everything seemed wrong and it was a long, slow-motion train crash until the turd was actually laid.

But the bright side there was Fox had finally and completely destroyed the FF, so there was no chance of another film before the rights reverted. It seemed like the chances were very good that the rights would be back by 2022 at the latest.

And then great news! Disney was buying Fox and the rights would be back even sooner than that.

... only to have it seemingly, possibly, potentially all fall apart.

And if we end up now with Universal making an FF film with all the soul and quality of their Tom Cruise Mummy film, yeah, I'll be frustrated, angry, depressed, annoyed at both Comcast and Disney.

Nobody may care if some geek on Superhero Hype who calls himself Willie Lumpkin never gets his FF film, but after all this time, if it happens again, it's going to be a pretty big f***ing downer to me personally.

We do as fanboys, but the majority of people who watch these movies don't care, LOL

The rights reversion aspect of the Disney-Fox mega merger wasn't a hidden feature whispered in nerd circles. The potential combination of the world's most popular film franchise with another top ten franchise in the X-Men and one of the biggest recent ones in Deadpool was a big honking deal. It was touted by Iger, had a prominent role in the WDC press release and was a major topic of conversations on news and entertainment sites. And not just the geek ones.

None of us knows for certain what if any impact the negative news of a deal collapse would have on the MCU as we move PAST Avengers 4. But I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

The rights reversion aspect of the Disney-Fox mega merger wasn't a hidden feature whispered in nerd circles. The potential combination of the world's most popular film franchise with another top ten franchise in the X-Men and one of the biggest recent ones in Deadpool was a big honking deal. It was touted by Iger, had a prominent role in the WDC press release and was a major topic of conversations on news and entertainment sites. And not just the geek ones.

None of us knows for certain what if any impact the negative news of a deal collapse would have on the MCU as we move PAST Avengers 4. But I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

I would. This doesn't effect people the same way it does people like us. People don't look at like Episode VII or VIII and say "Wow, Disney made a new Star Wars movie!" They say "Hey, another Star Wars movie!" As fans of the genre, we are too close to it. Guys like my dad who see maybe half of these movies at best (he loves Iron Man) won't care. He'll see anything Iron Man is in anyway. Same for the majority of people who make up the audience for these films. We are used to talking movies and superheroes all day, but the movie going public are largely people who don't do that and are more casual.

I guess if Roberts wants to plunge his company in bottomless debt in order to get Fox then fine let the greedy corporate mogul baby have its bottle but if he gets the Marvel rights here’s how Comcast should handle their new Marvel rights from Fox.

1. Reboot the Fantastic Four & make it a grand epic cosmic film( ala, Gaurdians Of The Galaxy but a little bit more serious). Take inspiration from the best runs like The Lee/Kirby run, The John Bryne run from the 80’s, and of course the modern Mark Waid & Jonathan Hickman runs from the 2000’s.

2. Do a hard Reboot Of X-Men. Wipe the slate clean and focus solely on Beast, Cyclops, Angel, Jean, and Iceman along with possibly Storm & Bishop and hold off on Wolverine until the sequel.

3. Leave Deadpool alone and proceed with Deadpool 3, and if the merger between Fox and Comcast happens before Fox is able to make an X-Force film then make the X-Force film and leave that property alone.

Last edited:
I would. This doesn't effect people the same way it does people like us. People don't look at like Episode VII or VIII and say "Wow, Disney made a new Star Wars movie!" They say "Hey, another Star Wars movie!" As fans of the genre, we are too close to it. Guys like my dad who see maybe half of these movies at best (he loves Iron Man) won't care. He'll see anything Iron Man is in anyway. Same for the majority of people who make up the audience for these films. We are used to talking movies and superheroes all day, but the movie going public are largely people who don't do that and are more casual.

I would suggest that there are more and more of "us" than there were even a few years ago. Folks who attend every MCU release aren't exactly a small corner of geek fandom. And even casual consumers of MCU material, those who don't post on the Superherohype forums, are aware of this transaction and are hoping that the deal isn't upended.

Feige and company were expecting to have dozens of popular characters available to replenish the MCU at a time when they were losing fan favorites. That scenario is now in jeapardy, and could be a big problem going forward.

Yeah. Like trust me, I get it. I know why so many fans what the X-Men and FF to come home so they can finally get the complete Marvel Universe they've been waiting for. But the people acting like it's a necessity are dreaming. Without any irony, there were posts about how the X-Men would be replace the Avengers as the big dogs of the MCU after Infinity War because Marvel no longer has any other big bankable properties. Mind you this was while a Black Panther movie was grossing over 1 billion dollars at the box office.

If they come home, awesome. Maybe I'll get that Black Panther vs. Doctor Doom fight I've always thought would be cool. But if they don't? Marvel will be just fine.

I would suggest that there are more and more of "us" than there were even a few years ago. Folks who attend every MCU release aren't exactly a small corner of geek fandom. And even casual consumers of MCU material, those who don't post on the Superherohype forums, are aware of this transaction and are hoping that the deal isn't upended.

Feige and company were expecting to have dozens of popular characters available to replenish the MCU at a time when they were losing fan favorites. That scenario is now in jeapardy, and could be a big problem going forward.

Creatively that could be a concern (but Marvel has shown they can make lemonade out of fish...see 1.3 billion for Black Panther... and GotG... and Ant-Man, etc). But most people who are fans of the MCU (that are not us) experienced it through the movies. They didn't read comics for 30 years, watch all the cartoons growing up, saw the cheasy no budget movies we used to get, etc. They only know the MCU. That is most of the MCU's audience. They never lived in a MCU world with the X-Men or FF. Why would they be mad about something they never experienced? Like I said, most people are probably even aware this is a possibility now, nor it's larger implications on the MCU. It's hard for us closer to these things to separate that, I think we need to look at the broader picture in that sense.

Personally, silver lining is that the X-Men don't get to touch this universe. I'm very happy about that part of it.

Personally, silver lining is that the X-Men don't get to touch this universe. I'm very happy about that part of it.

Instead of having Kevin Feige produce the X-Men we'll continue with Director/Writer/Producer Simon Kinberg's interpretation. You're happy about that part of it?

Meh me personally the mcu always felt incomplete without xmen, ff and spidey. Just felt hollow. Idk just me I guess. Doesn’t feel as huge. Also if your an xmen fan then Disney will try and bury this franchise like they tried to before. Killing half the mutants and also wolverine. The xmen haven’t been in cartoons in years. If Comcast wins say goodbye to xmen ever in media except movies. Disney will even separate them from the universe probably. FF just recently came back to comics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"