The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sort of depressing that this seems to have shifted from the "Keep Hope Alive" thread to the "Who cares, it's only the Fantastic Four" thread.

Don't worry, Willie- it hasn't for me (even though my interest is more in the X-Men. I'm with you till the end of the line. :yay:

If the FF come back in the comics and then Universal get the FF rights, expect another bomb to hit the Baxter Building again and destroy it.

So? It's only comics. It's been a long time since 616 was a coherent universe. I think the Ultimate universe was pretty much an admission that Marvel's main universe was a mess, please look at this streamlined one filmmakers!
Then they ended up having to make films themselves, and 616 was just kept around as an IP farm for work-for-hire writers to throw verbal spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.
"There are as many Inhumans all over the world as Mutants! And one of them is a Muslim girl; isn't that progressive? And the Fantastic 4 are gone! But now they're back!"

Personally I think it's funny how almost nothing from the Ultimate universe has found it's way into mass media except Samuel Fury, while the 616 spaghetti factory produced the content of the Captain America sequels in 2006 and Captain Carol Marvel more recently than that.

It's sort of depressing that this seems to have shifted from the "Keep Hope Alive" thread to the "Who cares, it's only the Fantastic Four" thread.

Not for me. FF first, and X-Men was a very nice bonus until Roberts threw a spanner in the works.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of the X-Men in the MCU is exciting, but I'm a FF fan first, and at least there have been some good X-Men flicks.

The hope aint dead but as ever for those of us who have been here from the start of this thread who do care, the wait goes on.

Been lurking on here since the beginning. We’re still fighting the good fight, Willie.

Even if this deal doesn't go through mark my words

One way or another.....

There's no question in my mind.....

The First Family will come home to the MCU! It's as inevitable as Spider-Man imo.

They will come home! Speak it into existence. Positive mindset! Stan lee said he wants them back so we are getting these guys back!

the hope lives, Willie. I'm with you and Wobbly on this, FF first and foremost, Muties if we can have them,, Deadpool is the whipped cream ontop of the apple pie ala mode if we get the full package.

Disney should buy Comcast.....:o

But seriously whats the deal with Namor...

From the Hulk film distribution stuff to the Universal theme park stuff, the Marvel 1994 deal with Universal is so bizarre....

Willie, you misunderstand me. I of course want Marvel to get the X-Men and FF. 100% this is what I want. I am addressing this notion that there will be backlash if it doesn't happen. In our nerd circles, maybe there will be. But by and large there won't be. That is my point. Not that the FF coming back to Marvel doesn't matter to me. As stated many times prior, the MCU is better for the FF and better with the FF (and X-Men but to a lesser degree IMO).

But seriously whats the deal with Namor...

Namor is in a unique situation in that Bill Everett originally created the character for Motion Pictures Funnies before his appearance in Marvel Comics #1. Because of this, Subby would not fall under "work for hire" rules that grant character rights to the publisher. Everett's estate may have a claim to Namor that would have to be cleared up before he makes his big screen debut.

It comes down to how much Disney wants Fox. If Roberts wants it more than the 4 and X-men are gone forever. Lt's be realistic about it. This is the last chance and Roberts would rather drink acid than give Marvel properties back to Disney.

I thought FF was the main thing everyone wanted to get back.

That is true...Doom may be my favorite character and the one I want the most back but my favorite comic has and always will be Fantastic 4...what they represent, their adventures, the great villains...a family first...heroes...all mixed in

You get with the F4 rights:

Reed
Sue
Ben
Johnny
Franklin
Valeria
Alicia Masters
Wyatt Wingfoot
Willie Lumpkin
Agatha Harkness
Baxter Building/Four Freedoms Plaza

Doom
Latveria
Annihilus
Blastaar
Negative Zone
Mole Man/Moloids
Subterranea
Galactus
Silver Surfer
Zenn-La
Nova
Firelord
Terrax
Plasma
Gabriel the Air Walker
Rama-Tut
KANG (should have been lumped in with the Avengers rights)
Nathaniel Richards (time travel)
Invincible Man
Puppet Master
Psycho Man
Malice Mistress of Hate
Impossible Man

Last edited:
Willie, you misunderstand me. I of course want Marvel to get the X-Men and FF. 100% this is what I want. I am addressing this notion that there will be backlash if it doesn't happen. In our nerd circles, maybe there will be. But by and large there won't be. That is my point. Not that the FF coming back to Marvel doesn't matter to me. As stated many times prior, the MCU is better for the FF and better with the FF (and X-Men but to a lesser degree IMO).

Sure, and I think it's obvious that our power is limited and because our power is limited, we've seen crappy film after crappy film and that pattern may not be ending.

I don't expect Disney management or Comcast management to care or do anything about it, but this is a small oasis of people who understand and HOPE whether that hope is realistic or not.

And you're just one person and you shining the harsh light of reality on things won't derail the thread, but it seemed like there was a period yesterday (perhaps amplified by my own frustration and disappointment that there is STILL a big question regarding if I will die without seeing a decent FF film) in which the whole thread (not just you) seemed to shift from the hope it has always been based on to a general mood of "It's not going to happen and it doesn't matter because Disney and Marvel will just continue with what they have so let's just forget about it and move on."

Sure, and I think it's obvious that our power is limited and because our power is limited, we've seen crappy film after crappy film and that pattern may not be ending.

I don't expect Disney management or Comcast management to care or do anything about it, but this is a small oasis of people who understand and HOPE whether that hope is realistic or not.

And you're just one person and you shining the harsh light of reality on things won't derail the thread, but it seemed like there was a period yesterday (perhaps amplified by my own frustration and disappointment that there is STILL a big question regarding if I will die without seeing a decent FF film) in which the whole thread (not just you) seemed to shift from the hope it has always been based on to a general mood of "It's not going to happen and it doesn't matter because Disney and Marvel will just continue with what they have so let's just forget about it and move on."

I don't think it is over by a long shot. Disney is going to make a counter offer and we're going to see how Comcast responds. There is still reason for hope, and my goal is not to squash hope. What I want to sort of temper is this expectation that we're all going to grab out pitchforks and scorch earth Comcast if they win. The situation with these rights is out of our hands and pretty much all we can do is wait.

It is true though. The MCU doesn't need neither X-men nor F4. That is the reality. You are a huge F4 fan so you feel the need to amp their importance but we are talking about a studio that took Black Panther, Cap, Iron Man, Guardians and Avengers and made them A-listers and the most popular comic book properties on earth.

There is nothing tht tells me that Feige can't do that to Cap Marvel, Kamala, Nova or Eternals. Nothing. THat is the reality. The MCU doesn't need the 4.

I'm definitely not trying to be pessimistic or saying to give up hope. All I'm saying is that I don't foresee this being a gigantic problem for Marvel, if Comcast gets Fox. Fantastic Four and X-Men (and their fans) need Marvel far more than Marvel needs them.

Definitely I would personally like to see all of the Marvel properties under one umbrella, and still think that's a very good possibility.

I don't think it is over by a long shot. Disney is going to make a counter offer and we're going to see how Comcast responds. There is still reason for hope, and my goal is not to squash hope. What I want to sort of temper is this expectation that we're all going to grab out pitchforks and scorch earth Comcast if they win. The situation with these rights is out of our hands and pretty much all we can do is wait.

I still feel the chances are in our favor.

First off, there are three potential outcomes from the bidding:

1. Disney gets it
2. Comcast gets it
3. They split it

Two of those three are good for us (since in a split, Disney would almost certainly get the rights).

If the worst happens and Comcast gets it, there are four options

1. They make Marvel films on their own
2. They make Marvel films with Marvel
3. They sell the rights back to Marvel
4. They do nothing and the rights lapse.

Of those, three of four are good for us.

And If they decide to make films on their own, there are three options:

1. They make both X-Men and FF films
2. They focus on X-Men
3. They focus on FF

Of those, two of three are good for me (from an FF centric point of view)

So there are whole lot of layers we need to fall through and each one has to fall in the wrong direction.

The problem is, several months ago, it seemed like it was a done deal and the fear of someone who didn't give a s*** making crappy FF movies was over, but the current status brings back that possibility.

It is true though. The MCU doesn't need neither X-men nor F4. That is the reality. You are a huge F4 fan so you feel the need to amp their importance but we are talking about a studio that took Black Panther, Cap, Iron Man, Guardians and Avengers and made them A-listers and the most popular comic book properties on earth.

There is nothing tht tells me that Feige can't do that to Cap Marvel, Kamala, Nova or Eternals. Nothing. THat is the reality. The MCU doesn't need the 4.

I'm definitely not trying to be pessimistic or saying to give up hope. All I'm saying is that I don't foresee this being a gigantic problem for Marvel, if Comcast gets Fox. Fantastic Four and X-Men (and their fans) need Marvel far more than Marvel needs them.

Definitely I would personally like to see all of the Marvel properties under one umbrella, and still think that's a very good possibility.

Marvel doesn't "need" the FF rights and it wouldn't be a "gigantic problem" for them if they don't get them, agreed, but an MCU including all of the key Marvel characters (not just half) would be markedly preferable.

And if Marvel doesn't have the rights, they'll be competing every year with Marvel films from Comcast (likely poorly made films that will devalue the properties).

Here's a key point: Would Disney rather make 4 or 5 solid, interconnected marvel films every year while creating toys T-Shirts etc. based on those films, or would they rather make 3 solid films while Comcast makes 3 crappy ones?

There is a real case (both creative and business) that can be made for getting the rights back. That value may be dwarfed alongside the tens of billions that are being thrown around, but it's there and Disney should at least be considering that value as they move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"