The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember people saying Marvel would never achieve what FOX achieved with Logan with that Oscar nom. And that the X-Men wouldn't have the ~quality~ they have under FOX.

Now Black Panther has a nomination for Best Picture.

You know, FOX has done some pretty fantastic movies like X2, DoFP (even tho I have problems with it), Logan and TV shows like Legion. FOX opened a lot of doors for superhero movies as well. But the X-Men are going to be more than fine with Marvel Studios.

Green Book will probably win Best Picture. The director of Green Book is sexual predator and the screenwriter is an islamophobe. And the director of Bohemian Rhapsody is a pedophile. Disgusting.

Marvel Studios did more in 11 years with their comic movies than Fox did in 19 with FF and X-Men.
eh, thats a bit of a stretch. Sure Marvel has done more, but the Fox movies alway had a higher ceiling, granted that comes with quite a few stinkers. What they've done with the F4 is completely unacceptable though, I'll agree on that.

none of this happens without the success of X-Men in 2000. And X2, First Class, DOFP, Logan, DP 1&2 are all pretty damn awesome and I place them with and some higher than a lot MCU movies.

#OscarNoms

Black Panther:
- Best Picure
- Costume Design
- Sound Mixing
- Sound Editing
- Original Score
- Production Design
- Original Song

Avengers: Infinity War:
- Visual Effects

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse:
- Animated Feature Film:

Well it's good that Black Panther was nominated, as that is rare. But it's up against these contenders:

BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Vice

I don't know if Black Panther could beat those. And A Star is Born always seems to be an Oscar winner.

Random note, non Fox/Disney merger. I told you guys I'll start looking into other Marvel properties coming back home as I think the Fox deal is closing in the next few weeks at the latest. Below is possible Spiderverse spoilers below though they were in the trailers:

Spider Ham/Peter Porker is a Frozen/Restricted character as per the 2011 contract.

2.b(i)(A) Spider-Man Character. The character “Spider-Man,” including without limitation the character “Peter Parker” and all Alternate Versions of the Spider-Man Character, and all other versions, iterations and alter egos of such character appearing in any Existing Authorized Work or New Authorized Work (other than solely in an Incidental Depiction) (collectively the “Spider-Man Character“). For the avoidance of doubt, neither SPE nor Marvel may exercise the Rights to the Frozen Characters listed on Schedule 7A (e.g., “Spider-Ham”).

2.g. Frozen Characters. The characters listed on Schedule 7A (“Frozen Characters“) are frozen and any and all exploitation of the Rights to such Frozen Characters is subject to the mutual consent of the parties.

4.e. Frozen Characters. During the Production Term, all Rights in and to the Frozen Characters listed on Schedule 7A (e.g., “Spider-Ham”) are frozen and may not be exploited at any time by either SPE or Marvel without the written consent of the other Party.

And yes, Spider Ham/Peter Porker is listed in schedule 7A Frozen characters.

Kingpin is a shared character and can freely be used by either party with some small restrictions (i.e. have to notify the other party). So that wasn't a stoppage. Peter Porker is a big question mark for me though.
That means either A) The contract was amended to allow Sony to use this character and/or B) Marvel/Disney agreed to let Sony use this character in Spider verse. Either way, what did Marvel/Disney get out of this? It's the same question we asked after Fox was allowed to make Legion and Gifted. And what else Marvel/Disney got from Sony for the 2015 deal. And now with Sony saying they want to do TV spin offs (which is 100% Marvel's rights, both animated and live action), one starts to wonder what else was exchanged during that time. Maybe just money, who knows?

Furthermore this guy says the deal will have to be renewed this summer after FFH. While it's his personal opinion based on the evidence suggested (some people think the original deal is for 6 movies), I do agree with him and think it'll have to be resigned this summer. I'm very interested to see what happens.

In that video Feige also says it would be fun to revisit some of the characters that were in film before but right now it would be fun to see new characters......which gives us clues for future X-Men and Fantastic Four films IMO

Furthermore this guy says the deal will have to be renewed this summer after FFH. While it's his personal opinion based on the evidence suggested (some people think the original deal is for 6 movies), I do agree with him and think it'll have to be resigned this summer. I'm very interested to see what happens.

I had originally thought it would be all or nothing - Sony would either continue to build their Venomverse and obviously want Spider-man for that, or they'd decide that wasn't worth it and make a deal with Marvel.

The success of Venom seemed to point to the former, but the success of Into the Spider-Verse seems to offer an alternative I hadn't considered - Using Miles Morales and letting Marvel keep their version of Peter Parker.

The biggest potential problem with that would be Spider-Fatigue. Would film-goers be interested in Spider-man films coming from both studios? But both studios could back off a bit and focus on other characters with Spider-man being used more sparingly.

As you say, it will be interesting to see what happens, but there's at least a possibility at this point of both Sony and Marvel continuing. It's not necessarily all or nothing. But I think that would require some cooperation between studios and possibly the idea that the stories are happening in the same universe, but on alternate Earths (which could create some interesting crossover potential).

That means either A) The contract was amended to allow Sony to use this character and/or B) Marvel/Disney agreed to let Sony use this character in Spider verse. Either way, what did Marvel/Disney get out of this?
The full rights to Jessica Drew? Hopefully? With Captain Marvel and the Skrulls about to join the MCU and Secret Invasion on the horizon, it's time for her to make her debut. Plus she's one of the most popular female Avengers.

The full rights to Jessica Drew? Hopefully? With Captain Marvel and the Skrulls about to join the MCU and Secret Invasion on the horizon, it's time for her to make her debut. Plus she's one of the most popular female Avengers.

They can already pretty much use her as they please (sans the spider elements).

3.l(ii) Jessica Drew. SPE will have the right to exercise on a non-exclusive basis all Rights provided for in this Section 3 with respect to the Jessica Drew Characters. Marvel shall be entitled to exploit on a non-exclusive basis motion picture, television and related rights (including without limitation rights of the nature described in this Section 3) with respect to the Jessica Drew Characters provided that Marvel cannot portray the “Jessica Drew” character with any “spider” elements (e.g. spider-like super-human powers listed on Schedule 5 attached hereto) or use the word “Spider” in her name or alter ego, or use a costume that incorporates a spider or spider-web image or use a costume that a reasonable member of the general public would otherwise recognize and identify as (A) an Approved Costume of the Spider-Man character as set forth on Schedule 4 Paragraph (a) or (b), or (B) the costume of the Spider-Man Character that first appears in a Qualifying New Authorized Work, or (C) the costume of the Spider-Woman character, or refer to her as Arachne, Ariadne Hyde, Childe of the Darkhold, or Dark Angel.

I remember people saying Marvel would never achieve what FOX achieved with Logan with that Oscar nom. And that the X-Men wouldn't have the ~quality~ they have under FOX.

Now Black Panther has a nomination for Best Picture.

You know, FOX has done some pretty fantastic movies like X2, DoFP (even tho I have problems with it), Logan and TV shows like Legion. FOX opened a lot of doors for superhero movies as well. But the X-Men are going to be more than fine with Marvel Studios.
This bodes well for all superhero film. Here's to wishing more SH movies get nominated in the future.

This bodes well for all superhero film. Here's to wishing more SH movies get nominated in the future.
Yep it’s good all round.

I've said this in the Academy Awards thread so I'll say it here: if Black Panther ends up winning best picture(it won't) then I'm quite eager to see the inevitable mass internet outrage.

I'm happy Black Panther got nominated, the cultural impact and way it touched people beyond what many films do is worth honoring. That being said, I'd be shocked if it won for best picture.

I think Spider-Verse and Infinity War both have really strong shots to win their respective categories though.

Last edited:
BP has a shot at costume and production design, maybe original score and song.

Song is going to A Star is Born. Bank on it.

I'm surprised by the very mixed reaction to the Black Panther news. You think people would be happy to have the first CBM nominated for best picture but nope, it's "overrated" apparently. In ways that nobody has yet to explain

I'm surprised by the very mixed reaction to the Black Panther news. You think people would be happy to have the first CBM nominated for best picture but nope, it's "overrated" apparently. In ways that nobody has yet to explain

What it seems to boil down to for people is they don't feel it deserves to be the "first" cbm to achieve this. That movies like TDK that were "better movies" should have gotten their first, and them not getting that honor devalues the entire prospect. I don't agree with this reasoning, but this seems to be what I get from most people.

This. I love superhero movies and it's nice to see that they're getting some recognition.

Fanboys and movie snobs are something else, they're never happy.

I really want Alfonso Cuarón to direct a Marvel movie. He's an excellent filmaker.

He has a very impressive track record: Y Tu Mamá También, Gravity, Children of Men, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (the best Harry Potter movie), ROMA...

Alfonso Cuarón's Uncanny X-Men? :omg:.

Alfonso is too big of a name right now for X-Men or any cbm.

Guillermo del Toro is kind of big too, but would be really interesting to see how he would handle characters like Beast and Nightcrawler, Im sure he would do an stellar job with them, and would love to see what he would do with others like Storm and Rogue for example.

Cuaron would have to surrender more control to do a MCU film than I think he would want to. He's way past where he was when he made Prisoner of Azkaban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"