The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's about as late as they go. I believe I remember the Fant4stic reviews came out the Tuesday before release, so this is pretty much the same as Fant4stic. With Midnight shows, a Tuesday evening embargo lift leaves just over 48 hours between reviews and release.

If there is a midnight showing- which in all likelihood there will be- it leaves exactly 52.5 hours. If I'm reading the graph below correctly, it should be within the rotten range. I was racking my brain to figure it out to the hour, but math isn't my forte, and I couldn't find anything about a US or world (Cannes? :funny:) premiere time. And the whole midnight showing thing slipped my mind. I think things will turn out in our favor!

Embargo dates and Rotten Tomatoes scores: What's the relationship?

It happens usually a few times a year. I believe Justice League was a recent example.
If there is a midnight showing- which in all likelihood there will be- it leaves exactly 52.5 hours. If I'm reading the graph below correctly, it should be within the rotten range. I was racking my brain to figure it out to the hour, but math isn't my forte, and I couldn't find anything about a US or world (Cannes? :funny:) premiere time. And the whole midnight showing thing slipped my mind. I think things will turn out in our favor!

:funny: That's pretty cool.

"Midnight" showings more often than not start at 7 PM now, so you can probably shave that time down to about 48 hours or so.

Also it is interesting to note that the writer of that article predicted a 45% score for "It" based on similar time frame between the embargo being lifted and the release of the movie. So definitely not a foolproof system.

Still, gun to my head RT prediction for "Venom" would probably be low 40's at this point when I take everything into consideration.

Last edited:
So if that graph is right, it's final score will be in the teens, at best.

:up:

It is being lifted closer to 2 days before it comes out Thursday night. So it will likely be in the 30s-50s.

So that means Sony is taking Venom back, if we are to believe Campea.

It is being lifted closer to 2 days before it comes out Thursday night. So it will likely be in the 30s-50s.
Edit: Nevermind, I was the one not reading it correctly.

Umm, you're not reading that graph correctly, I think. From what I see, 25% and up starts after 4 days and 23 hours.

No, you are. Look at the bottom. it runs left to right. At 1 day 21 hours, I am seeing it fall around 30. It is past the 25% line. Either way, it isn't in the teens. If you're seeing teens, you're not reading it right.

upload_2018-9-19_16-11-44.png

Last edited:
No, you are. Look at the bottom. it runs left to right. At 1 day 30 hours, I am seeing it fall around 30. It is past the 25% line. Either way, it isn't in the teens. If you're seeing teens, you're not reading it right.

View attachment 10381
Yup, I wasn't looking at the the spoiled and fresh tomatoes icons next to each movie title, only at the black line, and thought that line represented the %. When I looked at the titles that didn't make any sense, because I knew Lego Batman had a good rating...

You'd figure their partnership with the mcu would be what they'd continue pushing for. The next spiderman movie could crack 1 billion at the BO.

That makes absolutely no sense. What is his rationality for this prediction?

I can see it going either way. They could decide they need Spider back as he could be the only worthwhile thing they have to offer in their own Sonyverse or they could finally take the hint and realise all their shared Sonyverse ideas are crap.

Venom bombing = They can't be successful without Spider-man = They need Spider-man back.
Does the current deal prevent them from using Spidey? I haven't seen anything that indicates this.

There's been speculation about them not being able to use Tom Holland's Spidey, but even that is just speculation.

Does the current deal prevent them from using Spidey? I haven't seen anything that indicates this.

There's been speculation about them not being able to use Tom Holland's Spidey, but even that is just speculation.

I haven't seen anything that addresses this specifically one way or the other, but I suspect the contract prevents it for two reasons:

1. Marvel wouldn't want to compete with a different version of Spider-man so they probably would have asked for some sort of exclusive during the contract period.

2. We haven't seen even a hint that Spider-man will be in Venom, and it would seem a no-brainer, if they were allowed, to include Spidey in some form.

If Venom bombs, Sony has no place to put Spidey if they take back the rights. Rothman would have to start from scratch with the 3rd reboot reboot since 2012- probably no Tom Holland et al - and hope a new non-MCU reboot version can launch yet another franchise. Though they could reasonably expect far lower profits than what has been generated by Feige and company.

But If Venom is a success, Rothman can justify nixing the Marvel deal by virtue of having a home for Peter in a promising Sony-controlled franchise. Otherwise it makes no sense.

As always, Campea is a moron.

If Venom bombs, part of the reason it will bomb is people like us aren't interested. And people like us won't be interested in more Sony Spider-man films either.

That doesn't mean Sony won't try that route, but it would be foolish.
“Foolish” never stopped Sony execs before. ;)

I would expect Sony to try at least once more after Holland on their own before they even considered giving spidey back to marvel.

Just take the rights away from Sony before we get a Uncle Ben/Aunt May origin movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"