Arrow The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I'm banking on just a sleeveless version of Ollie's costume, really. If not just more black leather and red sunglasses (almost willing to bet money on the latter).

Just for the sake of differentiating his look from Oliver's, what about something like this? Just in terms of the body armor and the pants, not the mask...

Then again, I don't know how practical that would be for whatever actions the character might find himself performing.

I'm all for black (or brown) military pants and jacket (not camouflage) with a red tee shirt underneath (maybe even have an Arrow design on it). Throw in some red sunglasses and a baseball cap (instead of a hood) and you're golden. I'm thinking something inspired heavily by these two outfits in a practical way. Seems easy enough to adapt without making 'em tights.

DCR-Arsenal.jpg
Roy_Harper_008.jpg

Roy_Harper_07.jpg

I was thinking that if they do start adding a team for Ollie's Arrow like in the New 52, and Roy is part of his team as like a weapons expert, maybe Arrow will update his costume with higher tech like armor. So maybe Roy will wear some of that tech. Like the goggles, the vest and such.
Just some ideas I guess.

To be honest, as someone who has not read the comics, but read everyone going crazy about this character, I was really hoping they weren't going to do it.

I mean, a sidekick not much younger than himself, a good looking guy, with heroine addiction dating Ollie's sister, it just sounds like another season of melodrama for the teenage girl CW audience once they've finished with Tommy/Laurel rather than anything epic.

I also don't really get what he can bring besides another body on the field, given Digg and Felicity already having most bases covered.

I don't really like sidekicks generally and don't feel current early Arrow requires one. I hope they do it well.

Last edited:
We don't even know if he's going to be an addict or a sidekick anytime soon. And he's not that close to him. The description lists him as teenage. How old did they say Ollie was?

And I don't see why everything dramatic that doesn't involve something getting hit with an arrow is just there for teen girls. Nobody says it when there's relationship drama in comics.

I think the Speedy we have that is addicted is Ollie's sister. I think if they brought in Roy as Thea's drug addicted boy friend it is almost impossible for them to move Druggy Roy into Ollie's sidekick. But I think they can bring him in as Ollie's weapons/tech connection. Diggle is Ollie's partner, helps with strategies and training, but Roy could be the guy Ollie can get weapons from. Like that Chip character from the bad Punisher movie, Roy will get weapons and tech for Ollie and maybe this will end up with Ollie's Arrow becoming more high tech and less island like. Although is that a good thing? I sort of like his more natural training, painted mask, no real tech, but Roy could help Ollie protect himself on the battlefield more. Maybe Roy brings Ollie a vest, or goggles, or a utility type belt, or special bows, something.
Diggle is a very by the books guy who is trying to make sure that Arrow doesn't loose himself in the war, maybe part of that is Diggle brings in Roy who has non lethal weapons like flash grenade arrows, smoke bomb arrows, stuff like that. To help Ollie' get away from the killing.

We don't even know if he's going to be an addict or a sidekick anytime soon. And he's not that close to him. The description lists him as teenage. How old did they say Ollie was?

And I don't see why everything dramatic that doesn't involve something getting hit with an arrow is just there for teen girls. Nobody says it when there's relationship drama in comics.

I think his headstone said he was born in 1985.

885932-885863_26834new_storyimage7674626_full_super.jpg

I hope they make Roy the weapons expert and have access to higher tech weapons
like goggles and vests and guns and stuff. Maybe more non lethal stuff too.

226771-32827-hawkeye.jpg

I hope they show Roy using guns, lots of guns, in the show, and not just arrows.
1668111-detail.jpg

1240403-img004.jpg

To help them separate Roy from Arrow, I hope they show Roy is maybe not the best
marksmen like Arrow but incredibly skilled at various weapons and more high tech
weapons. This would help him not just be another Green Arrow, to paraphrase James
Robinson "when you turn Roy into Red Arrow that takes away from Green Arrow's
specialness, making Roy Arsenal gives him his own thing." He isn't just a sidekick or
a guy with arrows like Ollie, he becomes a different character. Someone skilled at
more weapons. So I hope that is what they do with the character. Make him Ollie's
weapons expert and weapons dealer sort of, and a guy who has higher tech stuff for
Ollie and himself. I hope he is Arsenal.

I haven't read the description of his character but have they revealed any details like
that? Have they said he will be Arsenal or Red Arrow or simply Roy? Or how he will
work into the show?

I haven't read the description of his character but have they revealed any details like
that? Have they said he will be Arsenal or Red Arrow or simply Roy? Or how he will
work into the show?

Just that initially he's a teenager who lives in the Glades (the bad part of Starling City) and is a love interest for Thea.

Just that initially he's a teenager who lives in the Glades (the bad part of Starling City) and is a love interest for Thea.
I would be worried they might drag out that he becomes Arsenal/Ollie's sidekick/partner, but this show seems to waste no time and holds nothing back like introducing the evil Arrow and the Huntress and stuff like that, where Smallville might hold back a while.

Thea is 17. Oliver is 27.

In regards to all the people saying "Not much of an age difference" between roy and ollie. If he's Thea's age, that's 10 years. Huge difference.

Thea is 17. Oliver is 27.

In regards to all the people saying "Not much of an age difference" between roy and ollie. If he's Thea's age, that's 10 years. Huge difference.

The problem isn't the age of the characters though, it's the age of the actors. I don't know their ages, but the guy who will be playing him looks to be of similar age to Amell. In addition it's another pretty boy soap opera kinda look they've gone for, so theres going to be lots of melodrama there I think.

It's Hollywood nearly all the working actors are the pretty boy soap opera type. As far as age haynes and amell are about 7yrs apart in real life. Maybe you were looking for robin type side kick from the 60's batman series as a sidekick while Haynes and amell have similar builds.

In the comics now Roy is about the same age as Ollie, and wasn't his sidekick but more of a contracted partner or something. I think thats the direction they will go.

Although, what if Roy is just shown to be Thea's druggy boyfriend? And isn't shown to be a vigilante? Like how Dinah Laural Lance isn't shown to be Black Canary?:csad:

well I doubt they're going to keep dinah from being black canary. It's called character development lol, they probably want to build up her character, show how grows into the kind of person that would go out and fight crime. plus, it's a show about green arrow, so I can deal with them saving black canary for later seasons. and they'll probably do the same for roy harper, which I'm fine with, I'd rather they build his character up in a natural way rather that wait opt for the instant surface gratification of him being introduced and becoming speedy in the course in 20 minutes of screen. that's what differentiates television from film, in television you can have real story arcs without having to condense them to 90 minutes of screen time.

Last edited:
I wasn't saying she will never be Black Canary, or he will never be Arsenal or Speedy. I just meant what if he was introduced like she was, as a normal person (like Thea's junkie boyfriend) with no appearance of any vigilante activity in the future. Right now Laurel doesn't seem like she would become Black Canary (and I think people who don't know the comic don't know she is going to become that either).
Also there is normal character development, I know, but there is also the dragging it out for stories/drama/ratings like Smallville did. So I just don't want Arrow to do that with these characters.

I also don't really get what he can bring besides another body on the field, given Digg and Felicity already having most bases covered. I don't really like sidekicks generally and don't feel current early Arrow requires one. I hope they do it well.

Felicity and Diggle are sidekicks in their own, so it isnt Roy starting with this. They need some younger people, the demo matters, in this show they will have more of a purpose than being typical troublesome teens, two isnt too much, Thea needs at least one companion of her age. Roy also covers a base that Felicity and Diggle dont, he will be out in the field fighting side by side with Ollie. He can easily cover his role, & both Felicity and Diggle's role. He can be the Arrow companion and he can take turns with Ollie to "man" the computers . I like those two but can totally be easily replaced:woot:. Diggle's role is likely done to be honest, how long can he keep being a mentor for. Soon Ollie is the one who needs to be the "team leader" and mentor of his team (Green Arrow, Speedy, Black Canary, maybe Huntress). I suppose I can also add Felicity, they don't really require an IT girl, duh most superhero teams do those tech things themselves but they seem to be going down that road, so she likely will be in the team.

He seems...wrong for the part. :/ Like when I heard a Teen Wolf alumni was cast as sPeedy, I thought the guys who played Scott or Stiles. Someone who's wet-behind-the-ears, maybe a wiry teenage frame. Colton's more of a male-model quarterback type. It feels this was a studio decision that everyone needs to be some buff dreamboat. Not to mention he's easily as ripped and not much younger than his would-be master.

I actually think he is cast well, like someone said Colton seems like he just jumped straight from the YJ cartoon. Roy got buffer and buffer in comics with years just like most male superhero, "male-model quarterback" is exactly what they should look for with most of them. Nope dont think the actors who played Scott stiles as Roy, would have been better than Colton in this role. The scott guy its a big No as roy, as Dick grayson or Jaime reyes maybe, the Stiles guy he would be Ok as Roy, Colton is just better for this role imo.

It's called character development lol, they probably want to build up her character, show how grows into the kind of person that would go out and fight crime.

Lol, its called character development lol, yes agree. Its only been NINE EPISODES, we are only in the FIRST SEASON. Doesnt anyone remember when it took 10 years for a man to fly and be the superhero he was destined to be? By this time next year I speculate it will be a different story, who ever is supposed to be speedy (Roy/Thea) will have made a lot of progress in going down that path, and Laurel will be Black Canary.

Last edited:
Lol, its called character development lol, yes agree. Its only been NINE EPISODES, we are only in the FIRST SEASON. Doesnt anyone remember when it took 10 years for a man to fly and be the superhero he was destined to be? By this time next year I speculate it will be a different story, who ever is supposed to be speedy (Roy/Thea) will have made a lot of progress in going down that path, and Laurel will be Black Canary.

Yes. I remember. But that was the point of that show. The journey to get there. As soon as he became that man, is the end of the show. Arrow isn't that. It's a show about Green Arrow, being GA. It's not about how he got there.

Do I think his first year of crime fighting is a bit early to bring in Roy? Yeah. I do. Doesn't mean i'm against it though. Ollie is learning, but he's not inept. He's clearly learned a lot about fighting injustice on that island. He's over confident, but highly skilled. Ready to train someone.

From his twitter pics/posts, Colton is enjoying his holiday in Sydney now.

Can't wait to see the first offical promo picture of Colton as Roy Harper.

Haynes ("Teen Wolf") arrives as Roy Harper in Episode 15 as well. Hey, wasn't Harper known as Speedy in the Green Arrow DC comics? And hasn't Oliver's sister Thea also been called Speedy on the TV show? Yes and yes. The producers wouldn't say much more, but they did offer that Thea meets Roy, who's from the rough part of town and who is a potential love interest for her, after he steals her purse. Aww, what a meet cute!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/arrow-cw-new-villians_n_2474482.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Yes. I remember. But that was the point of that show. The journey to get there. As soon as he became that man, is the end of the show. Arrow isn't that. It's a show about Green Arrow, being GA. It's not about how he got there.

You are right its a show about GA, hence why its important to make him the lone hero for a good while and keep other characters as civilians for a while too.

Oliver trained Helena to be his partner in crimefighting, but they had a fallout over their philosophical and moral differences. I can see him training Roy to prevent the same mistake that he made with Helena.

When I see Colton Haynes playing Roy Harper, it's like he just came off of Young Justice. He can go from Speedy to Arsenal to Red Arrow during the course of the series.

When Roy does make his debut to fight alongside Arrow, this show would have corrected Smallville's mistake of not giving us Speedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"