The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - Part 131 (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn you Nolan and your great endings!!!

I just got out from my showing out here in Lincoln Square and wow, people were crying, standing ovation. It was surreal.

I have to admit, I almost shed a tear myself.

Awesome movie!! Just awesome....

A lot of people in my screening did that(I was one of them). 90 Second standing ovation at my screening.

The first appearance of the Bat had people clapping, where cop's hat bows off. :D

I know most people will graze by this post since I'm not really known by anyone on here, but since I've spent a good amount of the last 4 years on this site anticipating the film, I feel obligated to react :)

I am a little numb, just because of waiting four years and then having a tangible, 2 hour and 45 minute film played for me as a result of those years of anticipation, excitment, worry, and discussion is very surreal and strange. Overall, I have a very positive feeling, but also a little bittersweet.

I loved how it ended. I think this film is probably the best Batman film ever made. Idk if it's Nolan's best, because Inception seemed like the work of a true auteur, but as a Bat fan, I feel like he topped himself completely. I will say this film FEELS very...strange. IDK how to explain it, I can't quite put my finger on it, it just does not feel like anything Batman or Nolan related that I've ever seen. Doesn't mean it doesn't stay true to the character - in fact it's possibly the true-est it's ever been....but still. Just a weird vibe.

I can completely understand what the critics meant about the first act seeming clunky, but I think it helps knowing a) most of what was going to happen and b) that I would see it many more a time to be able to digest everything. The only scene that seemed awkward to me was...trying to word this without spoilers...the scene between Bruce and Alfred that many on here have said brought them to tears. It just felt very strangely staged and written, not bad, just very strange. I'll have to see it again.

Every member of the cast was amazing. I loved the ending, definitely not what I would have expected from Nolan, but awesome nonetheless. My favorite scene was climbing out of the pit, and...again trying to word so no spoilers...Alfred's second to last scene, near the end.

Overall, a reluctant A, just because I haven't digested everything. It may be a masterpiece that needs a second viewing, or it may be a good-not-great film boosted by my excitement and difficulty processing, but either way, first impression is definitely: holy **** YES.

And the last shot will be iconic, IMO.

Also I could not stop smiling when -

Bruce finally manages to climb out withe the prisoners chanting louder and louder, the old bearded guy has me laughing, even tough it as an emotional scene.

I know most people will graze by this post since I'm not really known by anyone on here, but since I've spent a good amount of the last 4 years on this site anticipating the film, I feel obligated to react :)

I am a little numb, just because of waiting four years and then having a tangible, 2 hour and 45 minute film played for me as a result of those years of anticipation, excitment, worry, and discussion is very surreal and strange. Overall, I have a very positive feeling, but also a little bittersweet.

I loved how it ended. I think this film is probably the best Batman film ever made. Idk if it's Nolan's best, because Inception seemed like the work of a true auteur, but as a Bat fan, I feel like he topped himself completely. I will say this film FEELS very...strange. IDK how to explain it, I can't quite put my finger on it, it just does not feel like anything Batman or Nolan related that I've ever seen. Doesn't mean it doesn't stay true to the character - in fact it's possibly the true-est it's ever been....but still. Just a weird vibe.

I can completely understand what the critics meant about the first act seeming clunky, but I think it helps knowing a) most of what was going to happen and b) that I would see it many more a time to be able to digest everything. The only scene that seemed awkward to me was...trying to word this without spoilers...the scene between Bruce and Alfred that many on here have said brought them to tears. It just felt very strangely staged and written, not bad, just very strange. I'll have to see it again.

Every member of the cast was amazing. I loved the ending, definitely not what I would have expected from Nolan, but awesome nonetheless. My favorite scene was climbing out of the pit, and...again trying to word so no spoilers...Alfred's second to last scene, near the end.

Overall, a reluctant A, just because I haven't digested everything. It may be a masterpiece that needs a second viewing, or it may be a good-not-great film boosted by my excitement and difficulty processing, but either way, first impression is definitely: holy **** YES.

And the last shot will be iconic, IMO.

Legit tears came from my face. :csad:

I'm drawing a blank, what exactly was the very last shot again? :(

Awake now after seeing the midnight showing earlier. I was completely immersed in the movie and came out as it being my favorite Batman film yet. I can see the issues that many people have complained about here and agree to certain extent, but overall this one floored me. Everyone's performance was top notch in this one and it's really great to see one of the best characters in comic get an amazing trilogy from the most talented director around right now. I think it will only get better with repeat viewings.

Okay, I've seen the film... and it was the most amazing film I have ever seen... :hrt:

SHOW AND REVEAL YOURSELF, GILLBERG!!!! LOL

Really?

Fantastic ending, but the last shot felt anything but iconic.

Idk, there was something about the unique staging and how it literally felt the title that felt like one of those famous film shots you hear talked about. I may just be hyperbolic because of my excitement though haha

BEGINS. KNIGHT. RISES. MASTERWORK.

The sum is greater than the parts. But, a MASTERWORK nonetheless.

We've been close in this genre before with other properties. For me, the failing of living up the promise of X2 hurt me as a cinema fan. Raimi's Spider-Man 3 was the final nail in the coffin. It just wasn't going to happen within this genre over the last 15 years. The weight of expectations were too great.

Enter Christopher Nolan. Enter his Dark Knight Trilogy about the story of BRUCE WAYNE. The weight of expectations were too great here, as Rises isn't as good as Knight, but surpass Begins easily. And yet, with having just falling slightly below expectations for this viewer, he still manages to create the definitive series of this genre. The definitive cinematic take on this character for this viewer. For this viewer, there will never be another, even while I will watch whatever they come up with next, the WB, with the eventual reboots of the character over the rest of the years of my life. Because, I love this character.

There are flaws. At 2hrs. and 45 minutes, this film needed another 10 minutes in the middle, if you can believe. 4 hours later, I'm still stunned that this film is 2hrs. and 45 minutes. For me, it felt like maybe an hour and 45 minutes. That's the propulsion at which this narrative moves. So many moving parts to this thing. And yet, it mostly, completely works in service of the best third act in the trilogy, BY FAR.

The bloatness of Bane's plan, the many moving parts of the plan, seems to be the most negative aspect that people have problems with. And I can understand that. For what they wanted to achieve, it just would've been easier if they took a more direct line of action to accomplish the Gotham Apocalypse.

And yet, the bloatness of the plan has a one singular point. Everything that is set up before Bane reveals himself to the people of Gotham at the football game is about totally annihilating the body and the soul of BRUCE WAYNE.

Why not bring nukes to the city? Why not just ride into the city, fully armed and completely take the city? Why the elaborate plan to fulfill a destiny?

To make Bruce Wayne, the Batman before solely responsible for the annihilation of his beloved city, a city his family helped build. A city he's given his body, his anger, and his soul to protect. A city that is in the position it is in because of his selfish quest. If you could destroy the city using everything that Wayne is against it and him, the Batman and Bruce Wayne would be forever dead.

Make no mistake, the film is clunky at parts because of so many moving parts. This is really a three hour film cut down by 15 minutes so how. Nolan didn't need to do all of this. That doesn't change the fact that he got there in the end.

This is how you do stakes in dramatic, tentpole cinema. When Bane makes his speech in front of the media outside of Blackgate, intercut with moments of total despair around the city, I honestly felt that Bruce Wayne would fail here....and I knew most of film going in. That's a testament to Nolan. It's going to be soul crushing to anyone who hasn't followed spoilers. Trust me, between the gasps and tears in my screening at midnight, there were people who were really worried.

And I'm going to say something that might be controversial. Hardy's Bane equals Ledger's Joker, just differently. Bane is a BEAST in this film. His initial showdown with Batman has got to be one of the most brutal cinematic fights I've seen in years. And while Zimmer's score hums beautifully through this film, it was the right decision to drop it during this fight. My goodness.

Hathaway's Selina Kyle is a revelation here. Everything thing she does in this film was gangbusters for me. Everything. Not a hair, line, or movement out of place. Just purrrfect! Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

But, it all comes back to Patrick Bateman himself, Christian Bale. All along, this was the story of Bruce Wayne, not Batman for Bale and Nolan. This film could've easily been called BRUCE WAYNE, instead of Rises. What he goes through and how it goes back to Begins crushed me completely. And it's a testament to Bale that I didn't miss him in the suit when he was on the screen. I could've watched Bruce Wayne just as much as Batman. That's how much he's committed to achieve the goal that Nolan has set forth.

And Christopher Nolan. He didn't need to do this film. In fact, you could make a strong argument that this might, in time, be his worst film, in terms of craftsmanship. But, emotionally? It might be his best. For me, along with a few other American directors, he's in a league of his own. Whatever he does next and in the future, I will always watch. Success or failures.

At the end of the day, Rises is flawed to the hilt but not enough to derail the culmination of the Bruce Wayne Trilogy. This is not X-Men The Last Stand. This is not Spider-Man 3. This is not Blade Trinity.

The genre will change after this film. Because of the Avengers, we won't get films like this anymore. And for a lot of people, that's fine. And maybe it should be that way. Maybe the Batman is the only character in this genre where you could go this bleak with the material. Who knows? All I know is that I've enjoyed the ride 100% if we never get another like it.

THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY. MASTERWORK.

And with that, like Nolan, Bale, and Wayne, I'm hanging up my cape and cowl from the Hype. It's been a real experience posting and discussing and arguing on this forum of the years. But, it's time to exit stage right for me. Nolan's finale closed the book for me. And what a ride it was.

about ending part of this movie

at the end of the movie you will notice Selina wearing pearl necklace (she and Bruce were sitting in that cafe on the bank of Arno river near Florence)

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see the positive reactions, but I'm floored by the Colorado tragedy. I'm leaving to see the movie soon(I have tickets for two shows today), but the horror of what happened will be with me all day. What a sad way for this movie to open.

They always bold the text when they're spoiling, don't they?

Rickfox is so cool.

Last edited:
Nolan did it. I loved the film. Everything just worked, and the ending closed so many doors, but opened new one. Bruce is finally happy…everyone's kinds happy!

I guess people think it's funny. I don't know why. I mean, I know all the spoilers, but I wouldn't get any thrill out of crapping on strangers like that.

We've been close in this genre before with other properties. For me, the failing of living up the promise of X2 hurt me as a cinema fan. Raimi's Spider-Man 3 was the final nail in the coffin. It just wasn't going to happen within this genre over the last 15 years. The weight of expectations were too great.

Enter Christopher Nolan. Enter his Dark Knight Trilogy about the story of BRUCE WAYNE. The weight of expectations were too great here, as Rises isn't as good as Knight, but surpass Begins easily. And yet, with having just falling slightly below expectations for this viewer, he still manages to create the definitive series of this genre. The definitive cinematic take on this character for this viewer. For this viewer, there will never be another, even while I will watch whatever they come up with next, the WB, with the eventual reboots of the character over the rest of the years of my life. Because, I love this character.

There are flaws. At 2hrs. and 45 minutes, this film needed another 10 minutes in the middle, if you can believe. 4 hours later, I'm still stunned that this film is 2hrs. and 45 minutes. For me, it felt like maybe an hour and 45 minutes. That's the propulsion at which this narrative moves. So many moving parts to this thing. And yet, it mostly, completely works in service of the best third act in the trilogy, BY FAR.

The bloatness of Bane's plan, the many moving parts of the plan, seems to be the most negative aspect that people have problems with. And I can understand that. For what they wanted to achieve, it just would've been easier if they took a more direct line of action to accomplish the Gotham Apocalypse.

And yet, the bloatness of the plan has a one singular point. Everything that is set up before Bane reveals himself to the people of Gotham at the football game is about totally annihilating the body and the soul of BRUCE WAYNE.

Why not bring nukes to the city? Why not just ride into the city, fully armed and completely take the city? Why the elaborate plan to fulfill a destiny?

To make Bruce Wayne, the Batman before solely responsible for the annihilation of his beloved city, a city his family helped build. A city he's given his body, his anger, and his soul to protect. A city that is in the position it is in because of his selfish quest. If you could destroy the city using everything that Wayne is against it and him, the Batman and Bruce Wayne would be forever dead.

Make no mistake, the film is clunky at parts because of so many moving parts. This is really a three hour film cut down by 15 minutes so how. Nolan didn't need to do all of this. That doesn't change the fact that he got there in the end.

This is how you do stakes in dramatic, tentpole cinema. When Bane makes his speech in front of the media outside of Blackgate, intercut with moments of total despair around the city, I honestly felt that Bruce Wayne would fail here....and I knew most of film going in. That's a testament to Nolan. It's going to be soul crushing to anyone who hasn't followed spoilers. Trust me, between the gasps and tears in my screening at midnight, there were people who were really worried.

And I'm going to say something that might be controversial. Hardy's Bane equals Ledger's Joker, just differently. Bane is a BEAST in this film. His initial showdown with Batman has got to be one of the most brutal cinematic fights I've seen in years. And while Zimmer's score hums beautifully through this film, it was the right decision to drop it during this fight. My goodness.

Hathaway's Selina Kyle is a revelation here. Everything thing she does in this film was gangbusters for me. Everything. Not a hair, line, or movement out of place. Just purrrfect! Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

But, it all comes back to Patrick Bateman himself, Christian Bale. All along, this was the story of Bruce Wayne, not Batman for Bale and Nolan. This film could've easily been called BRUCE WAYNE, instead of Rises. What he goes through and how it goes back to Begins crushed me completely. And it's a testament to Bale that I didn't miss him in the suit when he was on the screen. I could've watched Bruce Wayne just as much as Batman. That's how much he's committed to achieve the goal that Nolan has set forth.

And Christopher Nolan. He didn't need to do this film. In fact, you could make a strong argument that this might, in time, be his worst film, in terms of craftsmanship. But, emotionally? It might be his best. For me, along with a few other American directors, he's in a league of his own. Whatever he does next and in the future, I will always watch. Success or failures.

At the end of the day, Rises is flawed to the hilt but not enough to derail the culmination of the Bruce Wayne Trilogy. This is not X-Men The Last Stand. This is not Spider-Man 3. This is not Blade Trinity.

The genre will change after this film. Because of the Avengers, we won't get films like this anymore. And for a lot of people, that's fine. And maybe it should be that way. Maybe the Batman is the only character in this genre where you could go this bleak with the material. Who knows? All I know is that I've enjoyed the ride 100% if we never get another like it.

And with that, like Nolan, Bale, and Wayne, I'm hanging up my cape and cowl from the Hype. It's been a real experience posting and discussing and arguing on this forum of the years. But, it's time to exit stage right for me. Nolan's finale closed the book for me. And what a ride it was.

Beautiful post J.Howlett :applaud

Everything in your post sums up my overall thoughts on the film and then some. :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"