The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - Part 130 (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This trilogy is Nolan's take on the character just ass there was a Burton's take on Batman, Schumacher's take on Batman and similarly, Donner's take on Superman.

All are valid interpretations of the character, no movie follows the exact translation of the source material (except maybe Watchmen but that was not exact either.)

Even the comics are taking a lot of liberties with the character. If they didn't, Batman wouldn't exist anymore in the first place.

That's Because there are a lot of different takes on him that Batman is still such a liked hero.

That one guy(forget his name) who has a blog gushing about TDK and said that TDKR is on the same level as BATMAN FOREVER and SPIDER-MAN 3 is another. The negativity of his review floored me.

Scott Mendelson. Yeah, that floored me too, but I'm not deterred by it. At the end of the day, only opinion that counts is yourself.

Scott Mendelson. Yeah, that floored me too, but I'm not deterred by it. At the end of the day, only opinion that counts is yourself.
Seems to me he had preconceived notions about the film. He said a month ago that he heard the plot and didn't like it all.

I admit that, after reading that review and a couple of other negatives, I started to wonder how I'd react to this movie. But the other positive reviews, and my confidence in Nolan, have made me excited again.

He said a month ago that he heard the plot and didn't like it all.

I think the internet has ruined the film a little for some people.

I wish people went in to the film with an open mind and no expectations at all. Anyone who has been on the internet reading spoilors, negative comments would easily be effected on a subconscious level.

Seems to me he had preconceived notions about the film. He said a month ago that he heard the plot and didn't like it all.

He did. But, the second trailer got him excited again. Still, I had a hunch he'd have problems with it. But, might be worse than Spider-Man 3? I just don't see that.

I think the internet has ruined the film a little for some people.

I wish people went in to the film with an open mind and no expectations at all. Anyone who has been on the internet reading spoilors, negative comments would easily be effected on a subconscious level.

Absolutely yes to this...

On a scale of 1 to 10, where do you have it and how does it stake up to the previous two?

Jeez. So much negativity over the past few days... it's made this thread pretty depressing imo.

Did RT remove the negative review of that guy who straight up trashed the movie?? I don't see his review anymore and the negative count went from 19 back down to 18. :hmm

I just want to reiterate that on my end it's not solely about Nolan's Bruce lining up with the comics. It's about TDKR Bruce taking 8 years off not lIning up - to me - with BB and TDK Bruce. I'm more than open to interpretations of the character outside the comics, which diverge wildly anyhow.

I would say, though, that a character becomes iconic for a very specific and core reason, and in my estimation the reason Batman resonates is because he doesn't quit- he can't.

With that aside, the Nolan films show a Batman willing to be the outsider, make the hard choices (this is all great). I know there's a lot of focus by this Bruce and the symbol he created. That's true of every Batman. But I still felt at the core, the struggle of BB and TDK was the fact that he NEEDED to be Batman for himself just as much as for Gotham. By starting this film with Bruce having dropped the cowl, that dramatic tension is dismissed outright.

And regardless of whether he misses being Batman, or not being Batman is taking a toll on him, it still undermines that question.

If the goal is for Bruce to find peace internally, I'm totally down with it. But that can be done, and I would argue more effectively so, without having him retiring so easily in the first place. Much more compelling for me if he has literally spent eight years hunted, physically and emotionally destroyed.

And it's be just as true to what Nolan has set out to do. It would take nothing away from the journey Nolan wants to put him on. In fact, it would add to it.

Having him quit detracts from the character, as established over the previous two movies and blunts it's most effective arc, in my view. Has nothing to do with the comics.

I will likely still enjoy the picture. But it's a valid criticism, as far as I'm concerned.

Don't let Harry Knowles, Scott Mendelson and Devin Faraci affect your own judgement, watch the movie and decide for yourself.

Basically, keep an open mind.

Did RT remove the negative review of that guy who straight up trashed the movie?? I don't see his review anymore and the negative count went from 19 back down to 18. :hmm
I want to see this review, unless it has spoilers.

Jeez. So much negativity over the past few days... it's made this thread pretty depressing imo.
I fear for the next reboot in terms of expectations especially that people have such high standards.

That one guy(forget his name) who has a blog gushing about TDK and said that TDKR is on the same level as BATMAN FOREVER and SPIDER-MAN 3 is another. The negativity of his review floored me.
haha hell no. i've seen TDKR by the way. just got out of it an hour ago:woot:

i can see where uber Batman geeks might have a problem with it but to compare it to Batman Forever and Spider Man 3 is insanity, ridiculous and dare i say utter stupidity:whatever:

So because a couple people gave negative reviews and despite the fact that the film is being critically lauded overall, this thread is getting depressing. Hm....

Don't let Harry Knowles, Scott Mendelson and Devin Faraci affect your own judgement, watch the movie and decide for yourself.

Basically, keep an open mind.

I'm still completely open. I've said all along that this film only needed to be the right conclusion and that it, at least, equal to Begins.

I just want to reiterate that on my end it's not solely about Nolan's Bruce lining up with the comics. It's about TDKR Bruce taking 8 years off not lIning up - to me - with BB and TDK Bruce. I'm more than open to interpretations of the character outside the comics, which diverge wildly anyhow.

I would say, though, that a character becomes iconic for a very specific and core reason, and in my estimation the reason Batman resonates is because he doesn't quit- he can't.

With that aside, the Nolan films show a Batman willing to be the outsider, make the hard choices (this is all great). I know there's a lot of focus by this Bruce and the symbol he created. That's true of every Batman. But I still felt at the core, the struggle of BB and TDK was the fact that he NEEDED to be Batman for himself just as much as for Gotham. By starting this film with Bruce having dropped the cowl, that dramatic tension is dismissed outright.

And regardless of whether he misses being Batman, or not being Batman is taking a toll on him, it still undermines that question.

If the goal is for Bruce to find peace internally, I'm totally down with it. But that can be done, and I would argue more effectively so, without having him retiring so easily in the first place. Much more compelling for me if he has literally spent eight years hunted, physically and emotionally destroyed.

And it's be just as true to what Nolan has set out to do. It would take nothing away from the journey Nolan wants to put him on. In fact, it would add to it.

Having him quit detracts from the character, as established over the previous two movies and blunts it's most effective arc, in my view. Has nothing to do with the comics.

I will likely still enjoy the picture. But it's a valid criticism, as far as I'm concerned.

While I understand your point, I don't understand why he should stay Batman, when it seems the city doesn't need him anymore before Bane's siege. why would he stay Batman and be hunted, when crime rate is at its lowest thanks to the Harvey Dent act?

So yeah, he does need to be Batman, but there is no reason for him to don the cowl again, and that's what is killing him.

Léo Ho Tep;23908241 said:
While I understand your point, I don't understand why he should stay Batman, when it seems the city doesn't need him anymore before Bane's siege. why would he stay Batman and be hunted, when crime rate is at its lowest thanks to the Harvey Dent act?

So yeah, he does need to be Batman, but there is no reason for him to don the cowl again, and that's what is killing him.
:up:

haha hell no. i've seen TDKR by the way. just got out of it an hour ago:woot:

i can see where uber Batman geeks might have a problem with it but to compare it to Batman Forever and Spider Man 3 is insanity, ridiculous and dare i say utter stupidity:whatever:
So what did you think about the film?

I think people are so caught up in whether or not him being Batman for 8 years is appropriate to the character.....they don't even consider how it works for THIS story.

Personally I couldn't care less about how much things line up with certain source-material. :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"