The Dark Knight Rises The 'Tusi - Part Bam - Part 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watch a few of my select prestige YT subscriptions' reviews for entertainment, the bonus being that it may give me a good idea of the film - since my tastes are in equilibrium with theirs. The I rewatch them in the future as a memento.

Actually, even im wrong. It's not the same amount, its the same %

edit - popular opinion isn't always right. Idk why you like the % over the score.

Oh I see what you're saying. So you're sort of agreeing with me in the sense that them both having the same rating has nothing to do with their quality, right? That Prometheus can be better than TASM (or vice versa, I guess) even if the percentage is the same?

Oh I see what you're saying. So you're sort of agreeing with me in the sense that them both having the same rating has nothing to do with their quality, right? That Prometheus can be better than TASM (or vice versa, I guess) even if the rating is the same?

Im saying that the rating doesn't matter cos it isn't my opinion, it says nothing about my personal preference. It's just telling me what % of people liked it.

Therefore, why bother? TASM and Prometheus have the same rating but you are saying they actually don't because they aren't rated on the same scale - THEY ARE.

If 90% of people like something, then 90% like something. From a flavour of chips to a movie to a car or colour.

73% like TASM
73% like Prometheus

But you are tying to say that people are harsher on Prometheus. So? 73% of people liked it - and 17% didn't - for personal reasons. You get what im sayin? Quality is totally personal.

EDIT - basically, RT shows how many people liked a film, no matter what. So its all fair, no matter the genre.

Im saying that the rating doesn't matter cos it isn't my opinion, it says nothing about my personal preference. It's just telling me what % of people liked it.

Therefore, why bother? TASM and Prometheus have the same rating but you are saying they actually don't because they aren't rated on the same scale - THEY ARE.

If 90% of people like something, then 90% like something. From a flavour of chips to a movie to a car or colour.

73% like TASM
73% like Prometheus

But you are tying to say that people are harsher on Prometheus. So? 73% of people liked it - and 17% didn't - for personal reasons. You get what im sayin? Quality is totally personal.

EDIT - basically, RT shows how many people liked a film, no matter what. So its all fair, no matter the genre.
I guess. I still think you should take genre and therefore the expectations that come with it into account.

Also, TASM dropped to a 72%. Guess the same amount of critics didn't like them after all. :hehe:

RT ratings only represent the people who have seen the film. I'm sure there are people who have not seen the film but would enjoy it if they did.

Therefore, RT ratings are only valid if the entire world's population sees that particular movie.... multiple times! Sometimes it takes multiple viewings to really give an informed opinion. And then, fanboys have to be taken into account who down- or upvote films solely because of the subject matter :awesome:

And even then, the ratings don't mean **** because you might dislike it even though the majority likes it. And what's the point of using a rating that was formed by yourself? You'd have to watch every movie in existence, and you simply don't have the time for that!

**** RT!

I don't know, my brain farted.

I guess. I still think you should take genre and therefore the expectations that come with it into account.

So I should look at a rating and go "80% of people loved this film...but its a comedy...I should adjust this" lol wut? I can't adjust a general consensus.

This is exactly why I don't care for scores, cos it isn't my opinion. Loads of people love football but it won't effect my view on it.

As Excelsior (probably spelt wrong) says, numbers are a waste of time with reviews, its the words that count.

edit - GREAT post Greens!

RT ratings only represent the people who have seen the film. I'm sure there are people who have not seen the film but would enjoy it if they did.

Therefore, RT ratings are only valid if the entire world's population sees that particular movie.... multiple times! Sometimes it takes multiple viewings to really give an informed opinion. And then, fanboys have to be taken into account who down- or upvote films solely because of the subject matter :awesome:

And even then, the ratings don't mean **** because you might dislike it even though the majority likes it. And what's the point of using a rating that was formed by yourself? You'd have to watch every movie in existence, and you simply don't have the time for that!

**** RT!

I don't know, my brain farted.

Eh, I still think it can give you a general idea of what to expect. I never said form a whole opinion based around it. I liked Meet Joe Black, and that has a 50%.

So I should look at a rating and go "80% of people loved this film...but its a comedy...I should adjust this" lol wut? I can't adjust a general consensus.

This is exactly why I don't care for scores, cos it isn't my opinion. Loads of people love football but it won't effect my view on it.

As Excelsior (probably spelt wrong) says, numbers are a waste of time with reviews, its the words that count.

No, what I mean is that you have to take certain things into consideration when looking at films in various genres. You yourself aren't adjusting the general consensus, you're looking at that percentage and understanding what it means based on certain expectations and knowledge that comes with whatever genre that film is in or the film itself. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I'm not sure how else to put it. The way I put it earlier was a lot simpler and easier to understand, at least I thought so.

And yeah, reading reviews is more helpful than simply looking at the percentage, but the percentage, again, gives you a general idea.

Last edited:
I hate rating movies because I always compare them to other movies I'd give a similar rating to, but enjoy in a different way.

Last edited:
This is why my ratings from now on won't include a rating :o

It'll be a review with an ending sentence to sum it up.

I hate rating movies because I always compare them to other movies I'd give a similar rating to, but enjoy in a different way.
See, that's what I mean. You enjoy different films in different ways. You have a different set of expectations for different films/genres. They're not really comparable even if the percentage is similar/the same. You have to take those into account rather than just looking at the rating and being like "oh these are obviously of the same quality" when they aren't.

I understand there is a give and take when it comes to genre and time (a 75% 10 years ago might not be so high rated today) but ultimately if you look in general terms and the bigger picture, any 95% feature film on RT is usually always better than a 65% regardless of it's release date or genre.

Iron man got 94% RT score but Avengers got 93% yet everyone calls Avengers the best marvel film ever made...go figure. There's plenty of factors at work, you simply cannot use RT scores on the same scale as each other. They are used to determine how much a film is worth your time, but comparison...absolutely useless.

I understand there is a give and take when it comes to genre and time (a 75% 10 years ago might not be so high rated today) but ultimately if you look in general terms and the bigger picture, any 95% feature film on RT is usually always better than a 65% regardless of it's release date or genre.

Iron man got 94% RT score but Avengers got 93% yet everyone calls Avengers the best marvel film ever made...go figure. There's plenty of factors at work, you simply cannot use RT scores on the same scale as each other. They are used to determine how much a film is worth your time, but comparison...absolutely useless.
Exactly! Just because TASM and Prometheus have similar scores doesn't mean anything in terms of their quality/how well they were received in relation to each other. RT scores give a general idea, but comparison is, as you said, useless. That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Also, TASM has dropped to a 72%. It was at a 75% earlier today.

But his Ironman/Avengers line goes totally against your point lol. RT is just pointless is all im saying. Who knows what you'll like til you see it.

But his Ironman/Avengers line goes totally against your point lol. RT is just pointless is all im saying. Who knows what you'll like til you see it.
No, we're both saying that you can't really compare RT scores for completely different films. Which was my point the entire time.

It's pointless if you wanna measure scores up. Does anyone honestly consider Source Code and Mission Impossible 4 to be generally more acclaimed and revered than Inception? The RT score certainly says so...the average rating (a better indicator) says otherwise.

It's pointless if you wanna measure scores up. Does anyone honestly consider Source Code and Mission Impossible 4 to be generally more acclaimed and revered than Inception? The RT score certainly says so...the average rating (a better indicator) says otherwise.
Yes, this is what I've been saying. Comparison is useless for a variety of reasons. Although I'm not sure the average rating is any more reliable since there are so many outliers that it's mathematically useless in a sense.

I have never fully agreed with RT on any movie. Just sayin'

I haven't either.

Source Code is higher than Inception? :o

So your saying you listen to what RT says to guide what you watch, but also that its pointless to compare a rating to a rating...so why use it? Comparing a rating to a rating would need to happen to guide you. Same genre or different, both dont match up cos its not the same people or same number seeing each film, either.

Woah. Just got my sight back after getting my eyes dialated at the eye doctor's. And the first thing I see is Blue Sugar got banned? Count me among those pretty appalled by this turn of events. :(

Jonny- you did mean what I thought you meant with that LLP crack. :argh: you better be nicre if you want me on team dat ass. :p

Bromances and girlmances make the 'tusi fun!

Just don't tell my BF I think Hathaway and Marion are hot. It would make him too happy :)

Oh and Kvz5 and I need to tag team The Bale. And JGL for good measure. Possibly we may add Hardy, if shaves that whack beard.

So your saying you listen to what RT says to guide what you watch, but also that its pointless to compare a rating to a rating...so why use it? Comparing a rating to a rating would need to happen to guide you. Same genre or different, both dont match up cos its not the same people or same number seeing each film, either.

I tried to read your post 4 times but i spaced out, so I'll just roll with it and say that...RT scores give a general idea of whats good or bad, for example I've never watched something lower than a 40% that i thought was a masterpiece, and a lot (certainly not all) but A LOT of films that scored over 80% are films that i enjoy, they give a good general outlook of what to look for, but say if TDKR came out and got 92%....I'm not gonna cry and shout that it's not as good as TDK or Avengers...it doesn't work that way.

lol that post wasn't to you Sharkboy, thats why it didn't make sense.

Yeah, you can use the percentage as a guide for that particular film, but comparison, as Sharkboy said, is useless. Comparison does not necessarily need to happen, unless that film is in the same series or something, as is the case with comparing TASM and SM1. Otherwise, there's no point. What's so strange about that?

I tried to read your post 4 times but i spaced out, so I'll just roll with it and say that...RT scores give a general idea of whats good or bad, for example I've never watched something lower than a 40% that i thought was a masterpiece, and a lot (certainly not all) but A LOT of films that scored over 80% are films that i enjoy, they give a good general outlook of what to look for, but say if TDKR came out and got 92%....I'm not gonna cry and shout that it's not as good as TDK or Avengers...it doesn't work that way.

Exactly! This is exactly what I've been trying to say. Unless those two things are in the same series or something (people are obviously going to compare BB to TDK and TDK to TDKR), you don't compare because it's pointless.

People actually watched source code? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back