The Xbox One - Part 13

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Thread Manager, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Knight

X Knight Hope

really? thanks.

well, that might be a deal breaker factor to consider in getting the X1X.

My internet speed is only 12mbps and I have a 1TB / month data cap, I think.

so those 100gb file sizes on the X would take forever on my speed and eat into my data cap quickly.

I wonder what the file size will be if I install from a physical disc instead of full download.

I'm assuming some of that 100gb size will be on the disc, with the rest being download. I'm also assuming those 4K assets will NOT be on disc, so if I have the X1X and download those 4K assets, that download size will still be larger than if I only had the X1S.

hmmm........something to consider that kind of dampens my enthusiasm for the X. it may simply not be practical for me given my current internet setup.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. X Knight

X Knight Hope

yeah. and that makes sense of course.

I just didn't realize how big the 4k game files would be on the X. and then I remembered my relatively so-so internet speed and data cap.

so as much as I'd like to get the X, it may not be that practical for my present internet situation.

plus, I remember how long it took to download stuff on the regular X1/X1S, so I can only imagine how much longer it would take to download the 4K stuff on the X.

now, maybe the X's increased power will allow for faster download times. but I'd still be constrained by my internet speed and data cap.

so it seems like to fully enjoy the X1X, you'll need not only a 4K tv, but also fast internet speeds, high/unlimited data caps, and a good sized external drive for storage.

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

We'll have to see how fast downloads are on the X1X. But yeah your download speed, data cap and storage capacity will be a factor for consuming 4K games in general wherever you want to play them. Are there no better internet deals in your area or are they just too expensive?

4. X Knight

X Knight Hope

there are other ISPs that offer higher speeds ( like 100mbps ) but I think the data cap is still 1TB. and the cost is a bit higher.

plus it's a hassle to have to switch ISPs, services, equipment, email accounts, etc.

last year when I had non-stop problems with my router, I was very close to switching just because my current service was so ****** and unreliable. But even then, I was dreading the hassles and inconvenience of switching.

now though, with my new router, so far my service has been stable and working properly. And there's no guarantee that the other ISP service will be more reliable.

so technically, I could switch services but I'd only want to do that if I absolutely have to.

my current service is sufficient for my needs and for my family's needs. We are not heavy data users and I'm more of a casual gamer. I'd hate to have to switch my entire family to a different ISP just so I can use a high end console like the X.

I'd rather wait and see if my current ISP ever adds higher speeds to my area. 12mbps ( my current plan ) used to be the highest and now I see they offer 18mbps, so that's a start.......lol.

but maybe that means I might want to hold off on getting the X until higher speeds are offered ( or I switch services ).

maybe for my current needs, the X1S would be sufficient enough. after all, I haven't been terribly impressed by the PS4 Pro - I honestly can't tell much of a difference......lol.

5. Iceman

I understand the hassle of switching. So your email address is tied to your ISP. That sounds like an unnecessary barrier to moving in future. Strange that some places in the US still have such low speeds. I downloaded my whole collection of a few hundred games on my new hard drive (mostly arcade, only a few full retail) in 24 hours by leaving it to work overnight and while I was at work. So convenient knowing I could do that again any time if my hard drive blew up. Data caps are horrendous too.

6. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

Our damn internet speeds and caps can't keep up with console requirements, that's all it is. And it's pretty ****ed.

7. Iceman

I'll always pay for the highest speed on my current ISP but I'd be resistant about switching. A data cap would force me to move straightaway though.

8. X Knight

X Knight Hope

my main email is not tied to my ISP. but I have an older one that is, and my other family members' emails are tied to the ISP. They said they would be willing to change, but it's still a hassle and inconvenience to uproot everything.

plus, it's not just the emails addresses, but also our phone service. Our phone is bundled with our internet and thus tied to my ISP. So, if I switch internet providers, that would also affect our phone plan.

9. Iceman

Same for me on the phone thing and also my cable TV. Have to consider the lot when it comes to switching!

10. X Knight

X Knight Hope

yes!

and one downside to bundling, if all services are tied to the same equipment, if one goes down that affects the other services.

that's what happened when I had problems with my router. not only did our internet go down, but our phone line went down, too.

if we didn't have separate wireless phone service, we would have been totally screwed and cut off. :(

that's why if I switch to a new ISP, I'm not sure if I want to also bundle phone with the internet - I'd rather keep them separate.

11. X Knight

X Knight Hope

anyways, I asked this last night, but does anyone know if the X1S upscales regular DVDs to 4K?

Iceman, do you have any regular DVDs you could try out?

I know the X1S upscales Blu-Rays to 4K, so I'm guessing it also does with standard DVDs?

12. Iceman

Oh damn, all my DVDs are at my parent's place. Only got 4K and HD at my place. Sorry :yay:

Btw upscaling is for some reason still used to describe 2 separate functions which can be quite confusing for non AV guys. One is the upscaling that gives you more of the same pixels to make your regular resolution or HD image fit a 4K screen. That implies no improvement in picture quality from watching a DVD on a regular resolution screen of the same size. The other is interpolating to guess what the missing pixels might be and when doing this there is the potential for improving and smoothing out the image if done well. Just because something says it is running your lower resolution image in 4K doesn't mean any improvement over the lesser resolution image unless it is doing this additional work. Are you asking only about the upscaling that ensures the image fits your TV screen or the one where you improve the image? Your TV should do the former by itself and even might do some of the latter (well) depending how good it is.

13. X Knight

X Knight Hope

ah, that's ok, Iceman.

by upscaling, I guess I'm talking about the process of making the "older" quality picture look better on the newer screen.

when I see a player or tv advertising it upscales non-4k content to 4K, that's what I am assuming - that it boosts/improves the picture quality somewhat to look better with the newer screens.

and then I can check if the input source is "4k" by bringing up the info/display feature on my tv which will tell me what the source resolution is. I consider it "upscaled" if it shows the source resolution as 4K ( or 2160p or whatever the 4K resolution is ).

I'm asking all of this about the S because I may be in need of another 4K player sooner than expected. My standalone player has been giving me issues for some time now, so I was considering trying to exchange it for a different brand.

was trying to hold off until November when the X releases, but now I'm not sure if the X would even be practical for me given my current internet setup due to the larger file size requirements.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  14. X Knight

X Knight Hope

y'know, if you think about it, the X1X represents a pretty good deal for a 1st time 4K tv buyer. You get a full 4K player AND "true 4K" gaming console in one device for $500.

if you buy the PS4 pro at $400 ( or even $350 with a price drop ), you'd still need a 4K player, which can go for $200 - $300 or more. So that would put you at $600 - $700 or more, with the need to setup 2 different devices, and a console that's slightly less powerful and not quite as "true 4K" as the X1X.

Plus, standalone players usually don't come with their own HDMI cables, so you'd have buy one of those, too. whereas the X will most likely come with the HDMI cable included.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  15. X Knight

X Knight Hope

so, I just watched a vid about the X1X, and the guy from MS said that the internal hdd in the X is 50% faster than the one in the OG X1 and X1S. that allows for faster loading times across all games and to better handle the 4K assets.

however, that makes me wonder......how does the internal X hdd compare to external drives?

Does that mean the X internal drive will be 50% faster than external drives?

So, if you run games off of the external drive, would you then lose the benefits of the faster internal drive?

When I had the S, I had my games stored on the external drive and ran my games from the external.

I'm guessing with the X, you'd have to transfer whatever game you're playing to the internal drive if you want to benefit from the faster hdd??

16. X Knight

X Knight Hope

so, Ultra Street Fighter IV IS BC on the X1! even using the disc version of the game works. Just stick it in, apply the update, and you can play the superior version of SF (yeah, take that SF V!). ;)

I guess it makes sense since Ultra is available as a DLC add-on to Super SF IV Arcade Edition. but they didn't specifically mention Ultra being playable when they announced Super joining the BC list a few weeks ago. so I wasn't sure.

glad it works though! It looks great running on the S and it feels great with the S controller. Much better than using the 360 controller.

also, it's good to be able to play the superior Dragon Age game (yeah, take that DA2 and DAI). ;)

I've been wanting to play that game again for so long, and now I can! :woot:

Thank you Xbox BC (yeah, take that PS4)! ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  17. Iceman

Have you got an S now? And good to hear about the upscaling of DVDs (from the PM). :up:

18. X Knight

X Knight Hope

Yes. picked up an S Friday night. I had been having issues with my standalone 4K player for several months and growing increasingly frustrated with it, so I needed a replacement 4K player and figured why not give Xbox another ( another ) ( another ) shot. :oldrazz:

I'm operating under the assumption that the last time I had trouble with the S was due to my router and not the system. So, hopefully that's the case and I won't have problems with my new router.

Was trying to hold out for the X. but the larger file sizes and my current internet setup gave me pause about the X. Plus, I'm much more of a casual gamer, who's interested in the Xbox as a general purpose media machine first and a gaming machine second.

So, I don't think I'm really the target the audience for the X. Still, though, I think the X is a powerful beast of a machine, and I would like to upgrade to it at some point. But I'll wait until the price drops down to at least $400 and more importantly for my internet options to improve. Also wait for a game that truly showcases the power of the X, like maybe Anthem whenever that comes out.

In the meantime, I'm glad to be back in the Xbox family. Though I am a bit disappointed in the slightly new Home page layout. It seems they "dimmed" your custom background images and now the Home button doesn't take you directly to the Dashboard anymore?? :csad:

But at least I can play old games like Dragon Age Origins and Ultra SF IV ( which I had been waiting for BC ) and I'm looking forward to finally being able to play games like Ori and the Blind Forest.

Even a little thing like now being able to use your own custom Gamer Pic goes a long way towards making the experience and console feel more personal. And I've always felt I align more with the Xbox brand. After all, my Hype name is X Knight. ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  19. Iceman

Oh right congrats again! Haha. You need to publish a novel on your console buying experiences for this gen and all the angst-filled internal debates that have gone through your brain. Would be a crazy read. ;)

You should be good for now then and can always part exchange up to the X when the price drops low enough and when any initial issues have been sorted out. I'm looking forward to playing older games with less loading times and running smoothly on the X. Love doing that when I get a new pc or upgrade parts.

20. X Knight

X Knight Hope

yeah. it has been a crazy ride this gen......lol.

and yeah, I do want to wait for the initial kinks and issues to work themselves out of the X. as I normally do with new tech.

I'll see where the situation stands 6 months or a year from now.

21. Iceman

I'll let you know of my experience at least. :up:

22. X Knight

X Knight Hope

thanks! I look forward to it!

oh, and I know in the past you've enjoyed it when I posted "analysis" of comparing games on different systems ( like X1S vs PS4 ).

well, over the next few weeks, while I still have some overlap of games across both consoles, I was planning on trying to compare the same game on both the PS4 Pro and X1S to see if I can detect any noticeable differences. Is the Pro that much better than the X1S??

I'll let you know of my experience with that.

btw.....if you don't mind me asking. for frame of reference, what's your internet download speed? and you have no data cap, right?

23. Iceman

Thanks! Yes I definitely like reading that sort of stuff.

80 MBS/sec and yes, no data cap.

24. X Knight

X Knight Hope

great, thanks for the info. that gives me an idea as to what speed to aim for. I think I'd be ok with 30 - 50 mbs/sec at minimum. More importantly, though, would be the data cap. no data cap would be ideal, but I'd think I'd be fine with at least 1.5 - 2 GB monthly data cap.

hopefully over the course of a year or so, the available internet options in my area will improve. Then I can entertain upgrading to the X.

in the meantime, I'll enjoy my new S and I'll get to work on my comparison analysis and let you know of my experience.

25. Iceman

30-50 would be plenty and even at 30 you should see a big difference. The data cap is crucial of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.