The Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors are beginning to fly around the internet that Microsoft and many developers are hard at work on the next console, and it may be further along than we think.

'Xbox Next-Gen' spotted in Microsoft CVs.
Microsoft employee Jeff Faulkner is currently working as "Xbox Next Gen Creative Director" according to his LinkedIn profile, having occupied the role since January 2011.

Meanwhile "senior creative director for Xbox" Jonathan Harris says he's spent the last 14 months "designing the next generation of entertainment", while Xbox hardware intern Joe Langevin says he's working on "high speed data buses to prevent electromagnetic interference in next-gen devices."

The most revealing of the LinkedIn listings though is arguably that of ex-Microsoft employee Patrick Corrigan, who says he spent the first half of 2011 "providing groundwork an[d] integration for branding elements for next-gen Xbox on all forms of media. Ranging from print to UI across future releases of the Xbox platform".

Next gen XBox chip gets a name and date.
It is mating season for the singing moles of Redmond, fresh off their migration back from Mountain View, and they are singing about the XBox Next chip. What’s more, they have a name and a date.

The moles are cooing the name softly while they think up new ways to transition Microsoft’s business model from monopoly abuse to patent trolling. The name they are singing in their tunnels sounds like “Obed”, but the spelling might be a bit off due to echoing in the tunnels.

Obed it seems is SoC, CPU + GPU, and of course eDRAM, it sounds an awful lot like an evolutionary version of the current XBox 360 chip. Some say it is an x86/Bulldozer part, but everything we have been hearing for a long time says that the chip is going to be a PPC variant. In any case, the GPU is definitely made by AMD/ATI, and IBM has a big hand in the SoC design.

A number of Microsoft studios are already preparing projects for the next generation Xbox.
That's according to the 'Insider' section of the latest issue of Xbox World, which writes: "We hear a number of Microsoft-friendly developers are hard at work on prepping next gen games as we speak. Could this be the reason why Remedy are so quiet about Alan Wake 2? (Yes)"

It adds: "Rare, Lionhead and Turn 10 all have teams in place too. Rare, we hear, are even prototyping ideas for a new 'mature title'.

Lionhead is busy working on Fable 4 for release in 2013, according to the rumour section in the October 2011 issue of the US Official Xbox Magazine.

I'm not writing them off, but they do need to make a compelling case against Sony whenever they do announce. I thought for sure I would stick with MS for the start of the next gen, but Sony and the subsequent news about how happy developers are with them (and the rumors of how unhappy developers are with MS) has definitely made that decision not so clear.

Yeah, just because I'm personally not interested in the Nextbox doesn't mean I don't think it will do well. I think MS will still outsell the PS4 in North America next gen, at least at the start. MS has a hardcore fan base who will buy anything with Master Chief's face on it, it's a guaranteed 15-20m seller in the US alone.

The question is if it negative rumors, word of mouth, ect, will impact sales after that point. Will the Nextbox sell as well here as the 360 did? Will it's turn to family friendly towards the end of this gen turn a few ppl off the beginning of the next?

I think over seas is where we'll see any sort of dramatic shift. Sony handled the PS3 launch poorly, and ppl who normally may not have, tried, and stuck with X-box's this gen. Sony gained a lot of ground back since then, but it's still not at PS2 levels. However given that Sony's already handling the PS4 far better than it did the PS3, I see Sony taking back more lost ground in Europe. It has outsold the 360 steadily for a few years now everywhere outside of the US pretty much. With a properly handled launch, I can see the Xbox brand becoming completely extinct in Japan, and losing ground in places it has slowly been losing as is. If ppl buy PS4's off the bat over seas, they're going to be less likely to pick up Xbox's as well. After Sony's financial woes, they need, and want the PS brand to get back to where it was. They're going to be trying hard to win fans back globally, though I think gaining them back in the US is by far the most uphill battle.

Though I think overtime that's going to mean less, and less to MS. I think they're slowly going to shift the brand from gaming to pure multimedia. It will probably still play games, but I think they're main goal now is for you to have one device, supplied by them, that handles all of your media needs. That you have to go through them, purchase from their stores, ect. As profitable as Xbox, and Live are, I think MS sees a bigger picture, and is slowly changing the brand into something less one dimensional.

@: JJJ's Ulcer: That's okay, but you'll still be a twizzat and MS will still be kicking Sony's sorry ass back to Japan this gen.

Regardless of how much propaganda is attempted to be spread.

And I can't wait to LOL about it all this gen like I did all last gen with the 360 kicking serious ps3 tail.

For real, do you work for Microsoft? For your sake, I really hope so.

Good 1!

I'll remember to use that sometime, in the meantime, cant wait for the next xbox to DESTROY the PS4 and it's Jap CRAP!

Dude, what are you even doing?

Ignore the troll guys.

So how much of these rumors you guys think are true at this point?

The troll is gone now.....let peace and contentment flow over the land.

You could tell that dude wasn't long for SHH lol...some posters just have the smell of troll on them.

The troll is gone now.....let peace and contentment flow over the land.
thank you. I like how this site is for the most part pretty balanced in terms of console supporters and it doesnt delve into the ugliness that you see gamers do on other forums to ignite a console war. Its stupid and silly and thank god that troll's lame attempt was foiled.

You could tell that dude wasn't long for SHH lol...some posters just have the smell of troll on them.
its ironic how he was going around accusing people that werent intereted in the next Xbox, Sony fanboys, considering how he was acting about MS

Latest rumors

Article title: Subscription-based Xbox 720 priced at $300, with $500 standard model?

Windows blogger Paul Thurrott reveals rumored pricing options for Microsoft's next-gen platform, claims always-online requirement is accurate.

GameSpot (Google article title)
(Removed link due to their comments section being overrun by trolling naughty spammers)

Last edited:
$500! How much was the 360 at launch in dollars?

So the subscription model I guess includes committing to pay for Live for a certain length of time? Might be good if you're already paying for Live. But I was thinking price might be the one area the XBox would try to compete with the PS4 but at $500 there wouldn't be much chance of that.

http://i.imgur.com/RDQMnBJ.jpg
(from the comments section, lol all future Microsoft jokes need to end with §dealwithit)

If the new Xbox is 500 I could see Sony undercutting them and have a 350 and 400 dollar models.

I fully expect Sony to go with a loss just to get that #1 spot again.

Can they afford it? If they don't charge for online and lose even more money per console than previous gens they're going to need their customers to buy a lot more games per system (not used) & peripherals than they did for PS3.

Can they afford it? If they don't charge for online and lose even more money per console than previous gens they're going to need their customers to buy a lot more games per system (not used) & peripherals than they did for PS3.
Not gonna happen. Most people are realistically expecting the PS4 to be $399. A user on Neogaf did an analysis of the initial PS4 production cost based on the specs that were revaled and it allegedly looks to be around $450-490 per system:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514688.

Thats really not to be bad if true and Sony could definetly sell it for a $50-100 loss and it not be a huge hit. I think the PS3 had them at a loss of about $400 per system when it launched so that would definetly be an improvement. It helps that the PS4 doesnt have some new expensive tech in there to dive the cost up and from the beginning, it would be retaining costly parts from previous gen (ex. Cell for PS3 BC). I think Sony was going into this looking to produce a cost effective system. The ram is something they could have sacrificed on, but it was probably a good decision to put something much larger than they need now, as it will help future proof the system down the line

Not gonna happen. Most people are realistically expecting the PS4 to be $399. A user on Neogaf did an analysis of the initial PS4 production cost based on the specs that were revaled and it allegedly looks to be around $450-490 per system:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514688.

Thats really not to be bad if true and Sony could definetly sell it for a $50-100 loss and it not be a huge hit. I think the PS3 had them at a loss of about $400 per system when it launched so that would definetly be an improvement. It helps that the PS4 doesnt have some new expensive tech in there to dive the cost up and from the beginning, it would be retaining costly parts from previous gen (ex. Cell for PS3 BC). I think Sony was going into this looking to produce a cost effective system. The ram is something they could have sacrificed on, but it was probably a good decision to put something much larger than they need now, as it will help future proof the system down the line
$400 per console! Had no idea it was that high. How in the hell was that supposed to work out? :woot:

If all those figures are accurate it's good to know that this gen will be a lot more affordable for the manufacturers so hopefully they can be more flexible on passing on costs. Agreed on RAM, think that will turn out to be a good decision for the extra cost.

Sorry, I didn't quite follow that. 46m is the total number of Gold accounts or the total of Gold & Silver accounts?

$500? That's an unpleasant rumor. I'll wait for confirmation before I get too ticked off, but that's one more mark against Xbox in my book

Assuming these rumors are true, it's going to be very interesting to see how Microsoft tries to spin them when they finally unveil the thing.

I find myself leaning more and more towards Sony's PS4 everyday. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back