Xbox The Xbox One - - Part 14

what's the main difference between Elite 1 and Elite 2?

yeah, if there's a really good BF sale on Elite 1, then I may get that and wait for Elite 2 to go on sale later on.

I mainly want to use the extra "paddles" on the Elite controller for fighting games to assign mutli-button inputs to the paddles. I'm also thinking the extra inputs via paddles could work in a game like Diablo 3 ( can assign more skills/spells? ).

You can adjust the tension of the sticks, there's 3 preset button configurations you can use instead of 2, and there's a built in battery.

That's really about it. If you're fine with the sticks on the regular Xbox controller, you should be good on the Elite1.

Is there any advantage to buying a Xbox digital code over a used Xbox 360 version of the same game? I'm mainly wondering about such things as graphics, gameplay or anything you guys could point out that I wouldn't think about.

Is there any advantage to buying a Xbox digital code over a used Xbox 360 version of the same game? I'm mainly wondering about such things as graphics, gameplay or anything you guys could point out that I wouldn't think about.

don't think there will be any difference in terms of the game itself. Whether a game is digital or on disc, it should be the same game.

the only possible difference a digital code may offer is if it includes extra DLC content bundled with it. Such content would most likely not be part of a used copy, unless the content is on the disc.

Other than that, it comes down to price and availability and convenience. If a certain title is hard to find on the used market, chances are it will be priced higher if you can find one at a used game shop. In that case, it may be cheaper and easier to just buy the digital copy.

One thing to keep in mind when buying anything Xbox 360 related through the Xbox One or the online Xbox marketplace/store, is that you can not use Xbox/MS money cards to make the purchase. You have to use a credit card.

I've got an Elite but never looked into how to use it properly.

wow. just wasted 90 minutes of my time watching XO19.

what an utter lackluster, disappointment of a show. I didn't even have very high expectations going in, but that was such a tone-deaf show. It's the same feeling I got after watching E3 2019.

NOTHING about that show screams you have to have an X1, let alone the X - the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE IN THE WORLD. Every single new ip, new "world premiere" that they revealed basically all looked the same!! They all look like AA, indie, Fortnite cartoony style games.

you need a $500 machine to play those games?? No, you don't.

Nothing about this show got me excited for Xbox's future in 2020. And they keep saying "We've got more to show. tune into next show." Which is what they've been saying for the last 3 or 4 years now. Wait for next E3. Wait for next show.

I get they're saving stuff for next year with the new console. But you've got to get people excited for the platform going into next year. You've got to get people excited to go out and take advantage of the Black Friday deals coming up if they don't already own an Xbox.

and nothing they showed today did that, imo.

With KOTOR I and II, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect 1 all being Xbox exclusives, I sometimes wonder what the landscape would be like today if MS had bought Bioware instead of EA being the buyer.

Would Bioware be in a better position today? Would Xbox have benefited from having multiple exclusive Western RPG franchises?

Just imagine if the entire Mass Effect series was only on Xbox. Same with the Dragon Age series. I'd like to think that might have been a boon for the 360 console.

Then, we'd get those franchises on the Xbox One. Perhaps even a new Jade Empire or KOTOR game for X1. And of course, whatever game Anthem would turn out to be, that would be an Xbox exclusive.

I know that, if those Bioware franchises had been Xbox exclusives, that would have swayed my loyalty towards Xbox a long time ago. Or, at least, it would have given me serious reason to consider Xbox vs the more JDev centric Playstation RPGs.

With Bioware in the fold for all these years, and now with Obsidian and InXile, MS could have really turn the Xbox into a powerhouse for Western RPGs. They still could with Obsidian and InXile, but just what might have been if they also had Bioware in the mix?

Now, though, from an outside, objective point of view, it's really hard to get excited for anything Xbox related in the near future, unless you are a hardcore Gears, Halo, Forza fan.

Anything they have planned now, like Rare's Everwild, is still going to be some years off. So all of that is going to benefit Scarlett and not so much the X1.

based on this XO19 showing, and comparing the 2020 "exclusive" lineup from PS4 vs X1, it's clear MS has pretty much "given up" on the X1 already. Not in the literal sense, but it's clear their focus is on saving their ammo for next-gen. The problem, though, is that they've lost so much goodwill from the consumer this gen, imo. So, I don't know if they will ever be able to recover that next gen.

Last edited:
With KOTOR I and II, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect 1 all being Xbox exclusives, I sometimes wonder what the landscape would be like today if MS had bought Bioware instead of EA being the buyer.

Would Bioware be in a better position today? Would Xbox have benefited from having multiple exclusive Western RPG franchises?

Just imagine if the entire Mass Effect series was only on Xbox. Same with the Dragon Age series. I'd like to think that might have been a boon for the 360 console.

Then, we'd get those franchises on the Xbox One. Perhaps even a new Jade Empire or KOTOR game for X1. And of course, whatever game Anthem would turn out to be, that would be an Xbox exclusive.

I know that, if those Bioware franchises had been Xbox exclusives, that would have swayed my loyalty towards Xbox a long time ago. Or, at least, it would have given me serious reason to consider Xbox vs the more JDev centric Playstation RPGs.

With Bioware in the fold for all these years, and now with Obsidian and InXile, MS could have really turn the Xbox into a powerhouse for Western RPGs. They still could with Obsidian and InXile, but just what might have been if they also had Bioware in the mix?

Now, though, from an outside, objective point of view, it's really hard to get excited for anything Xbox related in the near future, unless you are a hardcore Gears, Halo, Forza fan.

Anything they have planned now, like Rare's Everwild, is still going to be some years off. So all of that is going to benefit Scarlett and not so much the X1.

based on this XO19 showing, and comparing the 2020 "exclusive" lineup from PS4 vs X1, it's clear MS has pretty much "given up" on the X1 already. Not in the literal sense, but it's clear their focus is on saving their ammo for next-gen. The problem, though, is that they've lost so much goodwill from the consumer this gen, imo. So, I don't know if they will ever be able to recover that next gen.
Keeping Mass Effect could have been huge, and hopefully they would have been better stewards for the franchise than EA have been. Dragon Age could have been another important franchise if the sequels had hit their potential. Many people loved the first game.

Keeping Mass Effect could have been huge, and hopefully they would have been better stewards for the franchise than EA have been. Dragon Age could have been another important franchise if the sequels had hit their potential. Many people loved the first game.
yeah, I loved the first DA game. and I felt both sequels just went further downhill. I'm hoping DA4 will feel like a "return to the roots" of DA1, just like Diablo 4 is returning to the darker/grittier roots of Diablo 2. Same with the next Mass Effect game and Bioware as a whole.

but those are the kind of exclusive franchises that Xbox needs to build. Outer Worlds seems like a hit, even though the 1st game isn't exclusive. If it continues, MS needs to make sure the sequels are all Xbox exclusives.

it would be nice if the Play Anywhere deal applied to PC games being playable on Xbox. It's "sad" when the PC gets more exclusives than the actual Xbox console.

Stuff like Age of Empires IV and II Remastered, are those only coming to PC? Xbox console now supports mouse and kb, so why aren't the Age of Empire games released on the console, too?

I mean, I just saw a Game Pass commercial on TV the other day, and the commercial focused on a guy playing Gears 5 on a PC in a cafe. The actual Xbox console only showed up at the end.

It's like MS wants the Xbox console and the PC to exist in the same "Xbox Ecosystem." But, the 2 devices aren't being treated equally and fairly, with the Xbox console increasingly feeling like more of a "2nd class citizen" or merely as a means to an end to push things like Games Pass and Xcloud.

Last edited:
yeah, I loved the first DA game. and I felt both sequels just went further downhill. I'm hoping DA4 will feel like a "return to the roots" of DA1, just like Diablo 4 is returning to the darker/grittier roots of Diablo 2. Same with the next Mass Effect game and Bioware as a whole.

but those are the kind of exclusive franchises that Xbox needs to build. Outer Worlds seems like a hit, even though the 1st game isn't exclusive. If it continues, MS needs to make sure the sequels are all Xbox exclusives.
Who made Outer Worlds? Is it likely to become exclusive?

Who made Outer Worlds? Is it likely to become exclusive?
Obsidian.

But the 1st game had a different publisher (2K I believe) so that's why it's multiplat.

now that Obsidian is owned by MS, in theory, future Outer World games should be exclusive.

Obsidian.

But the 1st game had a different publisher (2K I believe) so that's why it's multiplat.

now that Obsidian is owned by MS, in theory, future Outer World games should be exclusive.
Oh that's a good start for anew exclusive then. Although I prefer when games are exclusive from the beginning or it's not totally fair to people on other consoles who get invested in it. It's going to take 2 generations for Spencer to undo the damage from Don Mattrick. :D: :csad:

Oh that's a good start for anew exclusive then. Although I prefer when games are exclusive from the beginning or it's not totally fair to people on other consoles who get invested in it. It's going to take 2 generations for Spencer to undo the damage from Don Mattrick. :D: :csad:
yeah.

Even though Outer Worlds is on the PS4, so I technically could still play it, I don't have much interest to do so, because, as you said, I don't want to get too invested in the series, knowing that future titles will prob be Xbox exclusive.

Kind of felt the same way about Sunset Overdrive once Sony bought Insomniac. Didn't want to get too invested in Sunset on the Xbox, knowing that any possible future games in the series would never be on Xbox again.

Wouldn't mind seeing a port of Sunset on PS4, though. Nor would I mind if Sony continued the series on Playstation. Would be something if, under Sony, Insomniac is able to make a sequel, while MS didn't invest in the series for all this time on Xbox One. I mean, there should have been a Sunset 2 already on Xbox One.

Last edited:
Man, when you look back on it, Xbox really dropped the ball this gen. As you said, it's going to take 2 gens for Spencer to fix those mistakes. However, I'm not sure if Xbox will ever fully be able to recover the grounds they lost.

They may be on stronger footing next gen, but the massive install/player base that the PS4 built up this gen is going to be hard to overcome. The majority of that install base is going to be locked in for the PS5. They are not likely to jump ship to Scarlett at launch or buy two $400-$500 consoles at launch. If they do buy the next Xbox, it will be later on down the road.

Then you have the Switch selling extremely well and most likely surpassing X1 sales (whatever they may be ). I'd say Nintendo has the "casual" market locked down with the Switch and their games.

And frankly, I'm not even sure the Xbox brand will be around in its present form past next gen. Yeah, they are still making a powerful console, but I just have this feeling they are slowly turning the Xbox brand into a service ala Netflix. Gamepass. XCloud. Play Anywhere. They want to turn Xbox into a service brand that exists across all devices. They don't really care if you buy an Xbox console as long as you subscribe to Gold, Gamepass, etc.

At least that's the feeling I have been getting the past few years. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed exit the console market and just go the Netflix subscription service model at some point in the future. Especially if the Scarlett lags behind in sales again compared to PS5 and Switch (or Nintendo's next console).

Last edited:
Don’t forget the lead and massive install base PS2 had over Xbox 1 and how that evened out the very next gen. Or how Nintendo dominated with the wii, then totally flopped with the next console and then looked very strong again with the next console after that.

Don’t forget the lead and massive install base PS2 had over Xbox 1 and how that evened out the very next gen. Or how Nintendo dominated with the wii, then totally flopped with the next console and then looked very strong again with the next console after that.
that is true. And Sony is not beyond doing stupid ****, too.

So, we shall see. If nothing else, I want MS to be a strong competitor so Sony won't get complacent and do stupid ****. Competition is always healthy. Forces you to adapt and change and improve.

You even saw that this gen to an extent. Sony built up such a massive lead that they did kind of go complacent. They didn't really change or add much to the PS4 over the course of the gen. They didn't really have to, because the formula worked for them. But, even as a PS4 owner, I could detect a degree of complacency.

Compare that to what Xbox did. They (under Phil Spencer) had to claw their way back from that huge setback at the beginning. And they did, adding new features, fixing things, buying new studios, etc. So, I'd say competition forced them to improve.

It just feels, though, that at some point in the last several years, Xbox just kind of "gave up." Not in the literal sense, but it does feel like they recognized there's no way they are beating Sony this gen, so they are just going to coast into the finish line with X1 and focus on next gen.

Next gen will certainly be more interesting. Hopefully. For me, it will come down to what exclusive games (and features) interest me the most.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"