Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding #2, I did not mean to suggest someone else was claiming to be the God of Thunder. What I meant to convey is that maybe someone else becomes king of Asgard after Odin (as Balder did in the Simonson run) and takes the oath without making reference to his (the speaker's) identity. But perhaps further the author of the original Italian site assumed it was Thor and wrote it up as "the God of Thunder takes the oath", when perhaps actually the voice-over made no such claim. Perhaps the voice over just said "I swear to guard all the Nine Realms and preserve the peace etc".

Maybe while Thor is out and about someone has to step in as Regent, for example. Loki served as king for a period in the first film, although admittedly they didn't go through the formality of oath-swearing.

Thinking waaaaaaaay too much.

Thinking waaaaaaaay too much.

Definitely.
The first Thor movie already firmly established the line of succession for Asgard, and Thor is the only rightful heir. They're not going to introduce an extraneous (at this point) character like Balder into the movie as someone who moves ahead of Thor in that line; nor does a usurper make sense, given that speech. Again, there's only one God of Thunder.

^, I still think balder is dead, and it will be revealed, leading up to ragnarok lol. apparently im the only one aboard that train though

There's such a difference between the Thor and IM3 boards. There's more news on IM3 yet it's more quiet there!

God, I sure hope Thor doesn't choose Asgard over Midgard. That would throw a huge monkey wrench into the Avengers. Thor is an integral part of the Big Three (in the MCU, it seems to be more of a Big Four) in the Avengers, and I can guarantee that *nobody* out there, fanboy or casual, wants to see Thor leave the Avengers.

And just having Thor "drop in" from Asgard from time to time to help the Avengers with the really heavy lifting makes Thor look like a *****e, who just slums with us puny mortals whenever we're too weak to handle things on our own.

The central theme of Thor comics has always been that he is more in touch with Midgard than Asgard, that he feels more of a connection with mortals than immortals. He is one of EARTH'S Mightiest Heroes, and he needs to stay here.

I agree 100%, I mean Asgard is his home and he feels an obligation to it, but I think his heart very much belongs to Earth.

Surfer

I think I also prefer Thor having a closer connection to Midgard. I haven't read the books where he is more focused on Asgard, though, so I am open to revisiting this idea once I've had a chance to go through them.

So if Thor becomes king in this film, doesn't that make it harder for him to be as involved in what's going on on Midgard or to participate in the Avengers? For these reasons, I had assumed that they would not crown him any time soon. But the report on the footage shown in Italy suggests they will after all. So now I don't know what to make of it.

I think I also prefer Thor having a closer connection to Midgard. I haven't read the books where he is more focused on Asgard, though, so I am open to revisiting this idea once I've had a chance to go through them.

So if Thor becomes king in this film, doesn't that make it harder for him to be as involved in what's going on on Midgard or to participate in the Avengers? For these reasons, I had assumed that they would not crown him any time soon. But the report on the footage shown in Italy suggests they will after all. So now I don't know what to make of it.

As some of you have pointed out, that hint about "moral sacrifice" probably plays a huge role in Thor's choices. I suspect he becomes king almost immediately in the movie (unless Odin dies, in which case the story will likely take a different turn): he and Loki return to Asgard, Loki gets tried and convicted for his crimes, and Odin agrees that Thor has finally matured enough to assume the throne. And then later in the film, Thor will have to choose between ruling Asgard or staying on Earth, and I think it's pretty clear that he chooses the latter. (Confirmation that the movie begins and ends on Earth is proof enough of that.)

Reports coming in from Twitter that they are filming in St. Paul's area, doesn't sound like any principal actors are there, although something is mentioned about a double decker bus there (Moral Sacrifice Bus???). A Helicopter supposedly involved as well.

this twitter account reporting and may have some pictures later, hopefully...
https://twitter.com/natrtpodcast

I originally found this from Thor2fans twitter
https://twitter.com/Thor2fans

Last edited:
As some of you have pointed out, that hint about "moral sacrifice" probably plays a huge role in Thor's choices. I suspect he becomes king almost immediately in the movie (unless Odin dies, in which case the story will likely take a different turn): he and Loki return to Asgard, Loki gets tried and convicted for his crimes, and Odin agrees that Thor has finally matured enough to assume the throne. And then later in the film, Thor will have to choose between ruling Asgard or staying on Earth, and I think it's pretty clear that he chooses the latter. (Confirmation that the movie begins and ends on Earth is proof enough of that.)

My guess would be that it is after the "huge hit"--the attack of the black ship, the scene with Algrim, possible death of Frigga, etc. Maybe Odin is weakened to the point that he feels compelled to name Thor king immediately.

It's stunning to think he would abdicate, though it addresses the practical issue of keeping him free to fight with the Avengers.

My guess would be that it is after the "huge hit"--the attack of the black ship, the scene with Algrim, possible death of Frigga, etc. Maybe Odin is weakened to the point that he feels compelled to name Thor king immediately.

It's stunning to think he would abdicate, though it addresses the practical issue of keeping him free to fight with the Avengers.

Why would it be surprising for Odin to abdicate? He did just that in the first movie; it's just that the Frost Giant raid interrupted Thor's coronation. The only thing that held Thor back was him needing to grow up/learn some humility, which he did in the last two movies.

Why would it be surprising for Odin to abdicate? He did just that in the first movie; it's just that the Frost Giant raid interrupted Thor's coronation. The only thing that held Thor back was him needing to grow up/learn some humility, which he did in the last two movies.

What I meant was that it's stunning to think Thor would abdicate (at the end of the movie, as you suggested in an earlier post).

And if he (Thor) does abdicate, who would take over for him?

This person has uploaded pics and videos of todays shoot, no stars on hand apparently but people running away from stuff. LOL Funny they don't run very fast though! If I had Dark Elves or whatever after me I'd be haulin' ass!! :wow:
https://twitter.com/lokiarty

What I meant was that it's stunning to think Thor would abdicate (at the end of the movie, as you suggested in an earlier post).

And if he (Thor) does abdicate, who would take over for him?

Odin, right? That's what I am thinking may happen, as I said earlier. If Odin gives the throne to thor at the beginning, and thor abandons asgard at the end, I assume Odin would take the throne again. Cause it sure as hell wouldn't be Loki.

I'm not very well versed in my Thor lore, so to speak, so I have a question about the dark elves. In comics, do they have that pale complection that we see in the set photos? For some reason I thought they were blue in color or something. Doesn't make a difference either way to me, just curious. I'm new to the Hype so sorry if this question has been addressed already. On a side note, very excited for this
movie. I never cared much for Thor, but ever since seeing him in two live action
films, he's fast becoming one of my favorite heroes. I've never really went out of my way to read his comics, now I find myself trying to digest as many Thor comics as possible!

Ivery excited for this
movie. I never cared much for Thor, but ever since seeing him in two live action
films, he's fast becoming one of my favorite heroes. I've never really went out of my way to read his comics, now I find myself trying to digest as many Thor comics as possible!

That's great! Hope you'll continue in our conversation!

Odin, right? That's what I am thinking may happen, as I said earlier. If Odin gives the throne to thor at the beginning, and thor abandons asgard at the end, I assume Odin would take the throne again. Cause it sure as hell wouldn't be Loki.

That's true, I guess I was assuming Odin would also die. Then it's not so clear.

But if Odin is still around, then obviously it would revert to him.

yeah, it's reallty confusing lol. I really can't see anyone besides surtur, or someone on surturs level being able to kill him. I mean, it doesn't matter who, but odin is THAT powerful that he shouldn't be killed by ANYONE who is that significant below him in power, which would be just about everyone in the mcu. Odin and surtur are galaxy busters in their own right.

its tough, if thor takes the throne, then odin dies...i don't know haha, this movie is really really confusing right now. I hope we get a teaser by the superbowl. I bet the first full trailer will be attached to IM3

yeah, it's reallty confusing lol. I really can't see anyone besides surtur, or someone on surturs level being able to kill him. I mean, it doesn't matter who, but odin is THAT powerful that he shouldn't be killed by ANYONE who is that significant below him in power, which would be just about everyone in the mcu. Odin and surtur are galaxy busters in their own right.

its tough, if thor takes the throne, then odin dies...i don't know haha, this movie is really really confusing right now. I hope we get a teaser by the superbowl. I bet the first full trailer will be attached to IM3

Im pretty sure there will be an IM3 superbowl spot but for thor ; has tv spots of movies releasing 9 months later to superbowl ever happened?
Im pretty sure we will get the first theatrical trailer of Thor with IM3, considering that IM3 got its first one 6 months before release.

I'm willing to bet that he is killed after he falls into the Odin sleep. If Odin falls into the Odin sleep while Thor is away and Asgard is under siege, then I can see it happening.

That's what I'm thinking, too. If Odin *does* die in the movie, I think it's less likely that Thor would abandon Asgard for Earth. But if Odin is still alive, I think it's a case of Odin giving the throne to Thor, but Thor deciding he likes Earth (and some Jane Foster nookie) better; so he tells Daddy: "Thanks, but no thanks."

I'm willing to bet that he is killed after he falls into the Odin sleep. If Odin falls into the Odin sleep while Thor is away and Asgard is under siege, then I can see it happening.

another odinsleep? he doesnt need another one tohugh, especially since his powers are restored

That's what I'm thinking, too. If Odin *does* die in the movie, I think it's less likely that Thor would abandon Asgard for Earth. But if Odin is still alive, I think it's a case of Odin giving the throne to Thor, but Thor deciding he likes Earth (and some Jane Foster nookie) better; so he tells Daddy: "Thanks, but no thanks."

Yeah, cause I am thinking if Thor abondon's asgard, then Odin lives through the movie, which would lead me to think Surtur may be held off till thor 3

I feel like first blown trailer in may six months prior to release is really long wait to see some material I feel like begging of February have teaser or trailer and then make another trailer attached to ironman 3 , I feel like in next 90 days we will get another ironman trailer and more start of marketing ironman with casting news for the 2014 lineup of movies ..I wanna see stark but this money seems. A lot more interesting since Thor has never really been explorer on screen or television ...even in that Spider-Man cartoon in 90s every marvel hero but Thor got a guest appearance lol

Exactly, I think this makes the most sense. Thor returns with Loki. Loki goes to prison. Odin tells Thor he's ready to be king and gives him the crown. Both Earth and Asgard are attacked during his short reign as King and are equally in danger. Thor is forced to make a decision and returns the crown to Odin, so he can come to the aid of Jane Foster and defend the earth from evil. He saves Jane Foster and the earth, but on Asgard maybe Frigga dies (which creates a rift between him and Jane) as he feels responsible for leaving his home in it's hour of need to protect us and her. Basically every time he see's Jane he is reminded of his mom's death. Setting up an out for Natalie Portman and opportunity to begin exploring the Thor, Sif relationship.

I just don't see them killing off Odin though, or them taking his crown and giving it to Thor at least not long term. So, I think this is the most realistic solution.

Surfer

I can see Odin dying at the end and Thor becoming king... The conflict between Asgard and Earth would be much more interesting to explore in the next Avengers film, I think. Thor, as King of Asgard, having the conflict of interest when Thanos, a threat to both Earth and Asgard, has to choose who to protect.

Then you can have the 3rd Thor movie with the addition of Baldur, a friend who Thor has long thought dead reveals himself not only to be alive but also to be a son of Odin (Thanks to Loki helping recover him). Loki, who helped Thor in Thor 2 and seemingly redeemed himself in Thor's eyes, destablises the throne with Baldur's claim and you can end that movie with Loki succesfully bringing about Ragnarok.

I think that would make one great, epic trilogy. It would be a great journey of character development for both Thor AND Loki.

Exactly, I think this makes the most sense. Thor returns with Loki. Loki goes to prison. Odin tells Thor he's ready to be king and gives him the crown. Both Earth and Asgard are attacked during his short reign as King and are equally in danger. Thor is forced to make a decision and returns the crown to Odin, so he can come to the aid of Jane Foster and defend the earth from evil. He saves Jane Foster and the earth, but on Asgard maybe Frigga dies (which creates a rift between him and Jane) as he feels responsible for leaving his home in it's hour of need to protect us and her. Basically every time he see's Jane he is reminded of his mom's death. Setting up an out for Natalie Portman and opportunity to begin exploring the Thor, Sif relationship.

I just don't see them killing off Odin though, or them taking his crown and giving it to Thor at least not long term. So, I think this is the most realistic solution.

Surfer

I agree with your assessment.
I'm not entirely sure where they're going to go with Sif and Thor, though. I think the deciding factor on the fate of Odin and Jane Foster in this movie series all boils down to how much "staying power" Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman have with the franchise. Neither seem like the type of actor to want to extend their stay past Thor 2, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"