Thor: Ragnarok Box Office Prediction - Part 1

warriorking cut the line!! :woot:

Just pondering an unknowable thing.....

I gave it a "9" but if it had less humor concerning Thor himself I would have given it a 10. The movie was loaded with humor -- if it had a little less at the expense of Thor would that have made any difference at all on the box office?

I realize that I am talking about a very small difference one way or the other.

For myself, had the movie been a tad more serious at points and played Thor as a little less silly -- I would have went one more time.

Is there any chance that some old timers like me who may have liked it a smidge more may have given it another go would have made it slightly more money?

And would that have been offset by some folks NOT liking it as much and not seeing it again?

Just thinking.....

But what's done is done and any future solo movie with Hemsworth will surely have the same tone as it has now proven to be a hit.

I gave it a "9" but if it had less humor concerning Thor himself I would have given it a 10. The movie was loaded with humor -- if it had a little less at the expense of Thor would that have made any difference at all on the box office?

For myself, had the movie been a tad more serious at points and played Thor as a little less silly -- I would have went one more time.

Is there any chance that some old timers like me who may have liked it a smidge more may have given it another go would have made it slightly more money?

And would that have been offset by some folks NOT liking it as much and not seeing it again?

Just thinking.....

But what's done is done and any future solo movie with Hemsworth will surely have the same tone as it has now proven to be a hit.

I would have liked the noble Thor with somewhat archaic speech a little bit better.....yeah, I might have gone to see it again. I would have toned down the humor a touch, but that's what you get when you hire Taika.

From here on out, I think Thor and JL do about the same at the box office; with an edge to JL, but not that much of an edge. I think Thor falls short of 315 and JL falls short of 230. Really solid, even exceptional numbers for Marvel this year. Ditto for WW.

So you think JL will run out of gas at 230?

That's hilarious because Thor Dark World -- when adjusted for inflation -- made $225 million.

So Justice League may make just $5 mill more than a MCU movie that is ranked in the lower third of MCU movies by most fans. The mind boggles.

I feel exactly like you, I gave it a 9, and only a more serious Thor movie could get a 10 from me, and extra viewings. But with the GA, a more serious Thor would almost surely have made less money. Disney ain't stupid.

I gave it a "9" but if it had less humor concerning Thor himself I would have given it a 10.

The movie makes him a bit of a goofball. Not enough to be a big problem, I still enjoyed the movie a lot.

But he's treated as a bit of a joke character a lot of the time. It is what it is.

The movie is mostly comedic, other characters have moments like that, and Hemsworth is very good in the role. He seemed much more comfortable in this movie than he did previously.

I gather he didn't like some of the usual Thor "stuff," like the hammer, speech patterns, hair and cape.

The movie makes him a bit of a goofball. Not enough to be a big problem, I still enjoyed the movie a lot.

But he's treated as a bit of a joke character a lot of the time. It is what it is.

The movie is mostly comedic, other characters have moments like that, and Hemsworth is very good in the role. He seemed much more comfortable in this movie than he did previously.

I gather he didn't like some of the usual Thor "stuff," like the hammer, speech patterns, hair and cape.

Yikes. So he pretty much doesn't like Thor. I am leaning toward not wanting to see Hemsworth again in a solo Thor movie. I am sure he'll be shown fine in the next two Avengers movies -- but if they let the solo series go dormant and reboot years from now I will be fine with it.
Thor and "goofball" really should not ever go together and that's how I think Hemsworth will play him from now on in any solo movies.

Oops. On topic -- Big money, yay!

Don't think he was as much of a goofball as you guys are making it out to be. It seemed more like a guy who is growing more and more comfortable in his own skin and identifying his proper place in the scheme of the universe, and yet at the same time, using humor as a way to cope with very sudden and unbelievable changes that take happen in his life in a matter of hours. I assume the idea that Waititi and the rest of the creatives went with is like "Well, there is no way any of the stuff that happens here is believable, why not let the character have some fun on the journey?". They plugged in enough emotional beats to show that Thor does have real emotions, but so many things happen so fast that he has no time to even reflect on those and show how it truly affects him. Hemsworth did a great balancing act AFAIC in some really tough scenes that could have easily come off as cheesy or corny in the hands of less capable actors/directors/writers/overseers.

The elevator scene with Loki and his anger just after Odin passes and before Hela appears really showed his chops as a dramatic performer without going unnecessarily over the top.

Hemsworth is very, very good in the movie. It's a great star turn for him. Somewhat comparable to Chris Pratt in the first Guardians movie, I thought.

As a vehicle for him, the movie was fantastic. I also think that the Thor-verse needed to be shaken up after The Dark World. This movie did that.

So, there is a lot more good than bad. However, I prefer what Marvel has done with Cap, which is to say that they are not trying to make him comedic, when it doesn't fit the character. Not every character needs to be like that.

I wouldn't say they made Thor a goofball but they gave him a little more charisma which I'm fine with. He needed a spark and Hemsworth sells the entire package in this film. His serious moments are just as good as his comedic moments. I think he was fantastic.

Honestly people overreacted to TDW so Marvel shook *everything* up with the character. In my mind they over corrected but it's not like they can't find a middle ground to keep old school fans engaged.

I still want to see more traces of Thor's proper Asgardian dialect. I can see him picking up some Midgardian phrasing and I'm fine with that but people just don't completely change the way they speak out of the blue. That doesn't even make any sense.

The hair needs to come back IMO. It was a plot device pure and simple and has nothing to do with his character. I just don't think he looks good with the shorter hair. He looks like Chris not Thor. If they don't bring the hair back then he needs to wear his winged helmet a LOT more.

With King Thor possessing what I would consider the Odinforce I don't necessarily see a need for Mjolnir although I miss it sorely. I *really* don't like the idea of Ultimate Mjolnir. I always hated the idea that some Earth based tech could ever rival a mystical Asgardian weapon of legendary renown. If Mjolnir is truly gone, I'd rather see Thor wield Jarnbjorn.

If Beta Ray Bill were to show up and he could wield Mjolnir I'd be pretty stoked though.

And jeez lay off of Thor a little. There's not a single character in the MCU who has lost more at this point. Thor has now lost both his parents, his hammer, three of his dearest friends, his hair, his entire home world (and maybe his people??) and his freaking eye. I mean come on.

Wednesday -- day 48 -- $383,763.
Dom $307,950,094
That puts it over $843m ww

WW- $843,376,522 :yay:
Just seemed like yesterday we hit 800 Million..

Last edited:
Getting closer to the final target :cool:

Sadly on Friday it will likely leave the Top Ten as 3 new notable movies will be released on Friday. So likely 49 days in the top 10.

Thus far TR has out grossed:

Thor the Dark World - $198,905,820
Thor-$394,019,904
Justice League-$206,023,598
And counting....:woot:

Last edited:
A huge improvement domestically from Thor. It can now be counted as a heavyweight solo franchise.

Sadly on Friday it will likely leave the Top Ten as 3 new notable movies will be released on Friday. So likely 49 days in the top 10.

With Christmas break it should feed a few more dollars into the till...

I'm a bit sad it's the lowest grossing MCU film this year. It deserves to gross more than the other two imo.

That's an opinion. I thought Homecoming was way better (which is also an opinion).

BO update...December 10, 2017 - sunday

TIH $134,806,913 / $263,427,551
Thor $181,030,624 / $449,326,618
T:dw $206,362,140 / $644,571,402
T:R $301,136,438 / $833,704,028

BO update...December 17, 2017 - sunday

TIH $134,806,913 / $263,427,551
Thor $181,030,624 / $449,326,618
T:dw $206,362,140 / $644,571,402
T:R $306,527,536 / $841,953,964

T:R is losing 63% of its theaters this weekend to all the new releases, down to 701 theaters. However this is back above the number of theaters left to Doctor Strange at this point, so it should continue to outpace it, and possibly reach $315M. It probably needs to get to $310M this weekend, and $312M by the New Year, to have a chance to get $3M more in the 2+ months after that.

On another note, T:R made 95% of what Justice League made yesterday. It may pass JL daily numbers sooner than later, although JL is still in 1101 theaters as of this weekend.

T:R is losing 63% of its theaters this weekend to all the new releases, down to 701 theaters. However this is back above the number of theaters left to Doctor Strange at this point, so it should continue to outpace it, and possibly reach $315M. It probably needs to get to $310M this weekend, and $312M by the New Year, to have a chance to get $3M more in the 2+ months after that.

On another note, T:R made 95% of what Justice League made yesterday. It may pass JL daily numbers sooner than later, although JL is still in 1101 theaters as of this weekend.

Yeah.....I said earlier that JL and T:R would probably get about the same amount of BO receipts from here on out; with the advantage to JL, but not a big advantage.

Thor probably gets to about 313 and JL goes under 230.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"