TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the Tranformers movies are a mess regardless of the big, and largely bad to average, action.
Juvenile humor, blatant objectification of women, incomprehensible action...
No indication of any of that here.
I doubt we'll have long, tracking shot of Lois Lane's @$$ as her introduction. I think we're safe.

All of the Tranformers movies are a mess regardless of the big, and largely bad to average, action.
I doubt we'll have long tracking shot of Lois Lane's @$$ as her introduction. I think we're safe.

That would be nice though. :o:oldrazz:

Can you see it now? Micheal Bay's Man of Steel?

Metropolis blows up everywhere. Unrealistic characters complain about aliens while inappropriate slow motion focuses on Lois hair flapping in the breeze. Superman starts swearing like a sailor as he sets the whole army on fire :D

I doubt we'll have long, tracking shot of Lois Lane's @$$ as her introduction. I think we're safe.

The action is amazing. The action in the Avengers was boring and cartoonish.

Also, Black Widow was hyper-sexualized starting with the casting.

Yet Zack Snyder hasn't made anything as good as Michael Bay's The Rock. Just saying...

The action is amazing. The action in the Avengers was boring and cartoonish.

Also, Black Widow was hyper-sexualized starting with the casting.
:huh: Where did I say anything about The Avengers? I was responding to comparing MoS to TF3. Since you brought it up: Nothing Black Widow did in The Avengers remotely approached anything in the TF movies.
Yet Zack Snyder hasn't made anything as good as Michael Bay's The Rock. Just saying...
The Rock was awesome. Classic Bay FTW!

Great idea for a thread, read way to many things I did not want to know in the other thread.

N-E-Ways

The only review that worries me is the one that says Henry has barely any dialog. Maybe im just traumatized by SR with Brandon Routh literally speaking 5 words through-out the entire movie, but... I really don't know what to think.

I just need some comfort and a hug right now! Lol

Do most of you put more stock in professional critic reviews or the reviews/reactions from "regular" viewers?

I tend to disagree with both almost equally, but i take much more stock in professional reviews than the one from some random guy in some random place. Not that proffessional reviewers can't have a level of bias or that regular viewers can't see things objectively...but I'm more likely to find one more in the other if you know what I mean.

For example...the last thing i want to do is to listen to people on here on whether this film is good or not, I get the feeling that a lot of people on this board need this film to be good to the point where it would ruin their day if it isn't. Whereas (idealy) a professional that has no real in depth connection to the source material wouldn't be afraid to be harsh on things and ignore fanservice or comic book winks and approach how the film works as an actual film, a piece of cinema as opposed to some pandering homage to the comics.

For example, I remember some fans telling me they hated spider-man 2 because there wasn't enough spidey in it, yet reviewers called it the most potent and profound character study in a superhero film yet. I agreed largely with the latter.

I actually like a blend of both. I use a professional critic to help me decide the likelihood of it being "good" and the GA to decide the likelihood of it being "fun." :)

Look, I'm happy that people are enjoying the visual aspect so much, but it's starting to get annoying and to actually worry me a little that this is what's present mostly on everybody's reactions.

I tend to disagree with both almost equally, but i take much more stock in professional reviews than the one from some random guy in some random place. Not that proffessional reviewers can't have a level of bias or that regular viewers can't see things objectively...but I'm more likely to find one more in the other if you know what I mean.

For example...the last thing i want to do is to listen to people on here on whether this film is good or not, I get the feeling that a lot of people on this board need this film to be good to the point where it would ruin their day if it isn't. Whereas (idealy) a professional that has no real in depth connection to the source material wouldn't be afraid to be harsh on things and ignore fanservice or comic book winks and approach how the film works as an actual film, a piece of cinema as opposed to some pandering homage to the comics.
Agreed. I trust actual critics to be far more discernible and objective than fanboys. Not that there aren't exceptions.

I think that's only worrisome when they are saving no matter how great the visuals, it can't save the movie.

We've never seen a Superman movie done on this type of scale before.

It's an origin story, it's not exactly going to have a deep and dynamic narrative like the dark knight. Besides it being the first showing of an effects/action heavy film, it's really expected for most of the feedback to be about that. I wouldn't worry either way. We all know how this film plays out.

EDIT: Although, that being said; people reacted the same way to The Avengers, praising it highly. Yet when I watched it and tried to find something beyond the comedy and the awesome action...I came up short. Maybe reviewers don't care about story anymore...i dunno :funny:

Last edited:
Look, I'm happy that people are enjoying the visual aspect so much, but it's starting to get annoying and to actually worry me a little that this is what's present mostly on everybody's reactions.
I see. And it's good to be wary. Because if you're pleasantly surprised... all the better!
I think that's only worrisome when they are saving no matter how great the visuals, it can't save the movie.

We've never seen a Superman movie done on this type of scale before.
Agreed. I think we've got to wait to hear from actual comic book Superman fans when it comes to characterization. Of course no opinion should matter to us as much as our own. Most of us know that's what counts.

It's an origin story, it's not exactly going to have a deep and dynamic narrative like the dark knight. Besides it being the first showing of an effects/action heavy film, it's really expected for most of the feedback to be about that. I wouldn't worry either way. We all know how this film plays out.

EDIT: Although, that being said; people reacted the same way to The Avengers, praising it highly. Yet when I watched it and tried to find something beyond the comedy and the awesome action...I came up short. Maybe reviewers don't care about story anymore...i dunno :funny:

Yeah, I don't expect this film to have a mindblowing plot. I'm expecting the major strengths of the story to be character and performance driven, with the visuals and score lending an epic scope to things.

Yeah, I don't expect this film to have a mindblowing plot. I'm expecting the major strengths of the story to be character and performance driven, with the visuals and score lending an epic scope to things.

YES. Honestly the more plot-oriented something becomes, the more it has a risk of making the character just another cog in the complex clockwork.

I think there are limitations in terms of how well an origin story can be in terms of complexity. What matters most to me is character development, and the relationship between a hero and the world around him, with strong themes to emphasize his significance. A fairly straightforward story is fine by me, those looking for a winding plot can wait until the sequel.

However, if it capitalizes on its potential, I'll be a VERY happy puppy :oldrazz:

Well really all of the successful starts to superhero franchises have begun with a relatively simple plot, and this includes Batman Begins.

The only thing I've heard so far that worries me is a lack of character development for Lois. I was hoping Amy Adams as Lois would be a game-changer for (uncostumed) love interests.

^ If the romance is too fleshed out, it couldn't leave much for the sequels. Also, the focus is Superman. We can't have Lane stealing the narrative from him ;)

New Non-Spoilery video review! [YT]kFGnW4dgE6Q[/YT]
He said that it was ALMOST as good as TDK.

^ If the romance is too fleshed out, it couldn't leave much for the sequels. Also, the focus is Superman. We can't have Lane stealing the narrative from him ;)

Yeah, this is actually the first version that has her so much involved into the story of Superman even before he makes his debut. The only times she's been able to be as involved in an origin story was in Smallville, because it was a weekly tv show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"