TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garrett Collins gave a 3.5/5 to Begins, a 4/5 to The Dark Knight and a 3/5 to The Dark Knight Rises. He gave them all positive reviews and and commended them as good films.

Not everyone is going to give this movie 5/5.

this film is one that is vacant from the disposition that should come from a reboot of a character such as Superman

I don't get it. Goyer avoided the screw-up that was Clark undergoing "training" (programming, brainwashing) for 12 years in the Fortress to become Superman. Better to show Clark find his own way than to be programmed like a robot, like all the real comic origin stories.

Perhaps he just has a different idea of Superman...

Garret gave IM3 4.5/5 but ALSO gave a BB 3.5, which is the same rating as Wrath of the Titans?

It is by no means perfect, but what Nolan creates here lays the ground work for what could very well end up being one of the best directed set of comic book influenced films ever made.

His review seems far more positive than his score, but he definitely was onto something with this quote , heh.

Actually though, if he gave MOS and BB the same score that's somewhat comforting to me. The important thing to remember is all critics have their own scale and rating systems.

Of course the attempts to discredit the writer have come.

What did you think of Iron Man 3?

I thought it was fine but not great.

I thought it was solid, though the way the villain was handled was questionable and a disservice to fans. Also, it was uneven and didn't have a ton of character development. So yeah, it's alright. MOS can easily top it, though. :)

Who cares if he didn't like the movie? Do people really expect everyone to love this movie?? There is zero chance of that. I'm very excited for the film, I hope it is good, but not everything is going to like it.

Last edited:
Oh this is amazing.

Reading his full review:

It is not helped by the film’s lead. As much as Superman Returns was a disappointment, one thing I would not do is put down Brandon Routh’s performance. All of that film’s issues lied with its script. But I felt the way Routh portrayed the character was not a detrimental factor in its result. Here, I was really back and forth on Cavill.

first review yet to say Cavill was inferior

The one performance in Man of Steel I legitimately did like was Adams’ Lane. She has a certain charm to her that combines with the slightest hint of the personality she displayed in her ‘Joisey girl’ from 2010’s The Fighter.

He praises Amy Adams which no one has done

Who cares if he didn't like the movie? Do people really expect everyone to love this movie?? There is zero chance of that. I'm very excited for the film, I hope it is good, but not everything is going to live it.

This is just one person and it's already turned into "Let's find a way to discredit the writer".

He gave it like a 70%. Imagine if he gave it a 2.5?

I thought it was solid, though the way the villain was handled was questionable and a disservice to fans. Also, it was uneven and didn't have a ton of character development. So yeah, it's alright. MOS can easily top it, though. :)

Oh no. You and I agree. :woot:

Agreed on the villain, too.

Oh this is amazing.

Reading his full review:

first review yet to say Cavill was inferior

Brandon Routh had a performance? Who would of thought....

Of course the attempts to discredit the writer have come.
Only thing I didn't like was him saying the original Superman in '78 "changed the genre".
Didn't it kind of start the genre?

"But, I will say it again: this film is one that is vacant from the disposition that should come from a reboot of a character such as Superman. Its hints of civil unrest and angst driven sub plots hurt it."

I guess he doesn't like the idea of people being cynical toward Superman within the film :/

ZPJcHgL.png

Only thing I didn't like was him saying the original Superman in '78 "changed the genre".
Didn't it kind of start the genre?

It did. I don't care for the movie very much (Aside from Christopher Reeves's performance) but it it was very successful.

I think "no one" is a bit extreme. She's gotten praise, and it's important to distinguish between criticisms of a character's use and criticism of an actor's performance.

It is not helped by the film’s lead. As much as Superman Returns was a disappointment, one thing I would not do is put down Brandon Routh’s performance.
Is this part of Garrett Collin's review? I havent seen MOS yet but I did see SR and Routh barely made an impression on me.

So here is the question. Does modernizing superman ruin the movie for you? Making him darker? More human? I personally think he has to be updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"