White House Down

I really loved all the villains in this. Classic 80s/90s over the top performances.

Although anytime James Woods was on screen....

oh-a-piece-of-candy-o.gif

I don't watch that show, what the hell does that mean exactly?

Last edited:
I knew this wouldn't come out on top, it's repetitive and Olympus Has Fallen had just come out months earlier.

I don't watch that show, what that hell does that mean exactly?
James Woods playing himself is a recurring character on Family Guy who menaces the lives of the protagonists Peter Griffin and Peter's dog Brian.

Frequently, in order to get rid of Woods, Peter and Griffin would lay out a trail of pieces of candy to a primitive trap in order to trap and get rid of Woods.

James Woods playing himself is a recurring character on Family Guy who menaces the lives of the protagonists Peter Griffin and Peter's dog Brian.

Frequently, in order to get rid of Woods, Peter and Griffin would lay out a trail of pieces of candy to a primitive trap in order to trap and get rid of Woods.

Thanks for the explanation. I've only seen the first season and a few episodes of season 2 before I got a bit bored.

This movie got so damn corny in the final third of it. I should have known. It's an Emmerich film.

Its great members of our military got a treat like that.
I saw it today .
I liked most of it of it, but that third act...

I saw WHD a few hours ago and had a lot of fun. It's a damn good cheesy 80's throwback. The special effects weren't very special but I didn't care. Tatum was decent and I liked him in the role a little more than my sis did but I agree with her that he doesn't have a big enough personality for action films. This film needed someone with more raw charisma, it needed a movieStar type character performance for the lead and we didn't get that. I knew something was missing when I was in my seat but couldn't put my finger on it until she pointed out that he was just servicable. I'm not trying to bash him but I don't see the action star thing working out. Everyone else was good and well cast.

I say catch it before it leaves theaters, chances are you will have a good time with a movie that is practically a remake of Die Hard.

RATING: 8/10

Saw this over the weekend and LOVED every second of it. A true classic action flick. Basically...it was everything the last two Die Hard films SHOULD have been. :)

Saw this over the weekend and LOVED every second of it. A true classic action flick. Basically...it was everything the last two Die Hard films SHOULD have been. :)

Agreed.

I saw this opening night and really enjoyed it. I don't care what anyone else says, I enjoy a lot of Emmerich's films. Only one I really don't like is Godzilla. Independence Day, Day After Tomorrow, 2012 and now WHD are fun films, although a bit dumb at times, but that adds to the fun factor for me.

My favorite film of his is still Stargate. Less over the top spectacle, plus I'm a bit biased since I'm a huge Kurt Russell fan and while I don't believe in it completely due to lack of facts, I still like the idea/belief that aliens had a hand in our making or our technology at least.

The most entertaining movie of this summer!

8.5/10

don't feel sorry for tatum he still gonna get big paydays this is just a blimp on the rader its not the same as taylor keitch

Just saw this. I went in with low expectations and still didnt really like it.

Tatum was very good in this. I know a lot say they can't buy him as an action hero, but I can after this. He also was very charismatic.

BUt besides that I didnt really like anything. It was way too long/boring. The action wasn't exciting or even interesting. The car chase couldve been really cool but it didnt go anywhere (literally). The villains were okay. Some lines were TERRIBLY corny/bad. Jamie Foxx was mediocre and the chemistry between him and Tatum (something I kept hearing was a redeemable feature in the movie) was weak. I also laughed when Foxx had trouble fighting [BLACKOUT]60 year old, terminally ill cancer patient James Woods[/BLACKOUT]

Overall I give it maybe a 4/10. I have no desire to watch it again, even on HBO or cable.

It was a very 80s movie, put it like that. I grew up watching them things so I wasn't really taken aback. I could have seen Eddie Murphy taking on Foxx's role and someone like Sly or Arnold taking on the Tatum role.

Eddie Murphy as the President? Sly as the Capitol Hill Policeman? That would've been a brilliant 80s movie. Heck, I would like to see that today.

I wonder if Murphy would've worked better than Jamie Foxx in the White House Down we got? Compared to Olympus, at least Sawyer didn't punk out like Asher did, however it was difficult buying Jamie as president. Perhaps Murphy could've brought more gravitas to the role.

I saw this on Thursday and really enjoyed it. It's a throwback to the kind of action movies from the 90's that I love. Of all the Die Hard knock-offs the one it reminded me of the most was The Rock, with the way it was set up and paced.

I liked Tatum and Foxx's characters and they played off each other well with both having moments of heroism, and the support from Maggie Gylenhaal, James Woods, Jason Clarke, Richard Jenkins and young Joey King meant all of the plots moving parts were engaging.

The movie is a well paced action film with a solid structure that organically bounces from set piece to set piece with some wisecracks from the two heroes and a bit of that likable cheese you see in all of Emmerich's films.

All of the action is set in the daytime so it's clear and keeps the fast cuts to a minimum, although it does suffer from similar crappy chopper CGI as Olympus Has Fallen. I enjoyed the first fight between Tatum and Clarke but the stand-out action sequence is the car chase within the White House grounds, so cool to see The Beast used that way. :D

The simple through-line of a father not wanting to let down his daughter and striving to save her within the bigger picture is simple but relatable, and Woods villain is kind of tragic. This may not have hit with an audience used to the more fantastical elements in their action movies, but this oldschool action fan had a good time.

8.5/10

The ending was straight out of The Rock but not nearly as awesome cause it wasn't Nicolas Cage doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"