White House Down

Gotta admit, Roland Emmerich knows how to do what he does well. The action will be great and the star power of Foxx and Tatum...along with Clarke's villain...I'm excited.

After being so invested in Man of Steel, can't wait to just turn off the ole brain and enjoy a movie with zero expectations and zero knowledge about it. LET'S BLOW SOME STUFF UP BABY!

No matter what people think or say, Channing is always a good sport.

[YT]m5oDJXGiKBg[/YT]

:funny:

Tatum is in on the joke, so its hard to hate the man.

No matter what people think or say, Channing is always a good sport.

[YT]m5oDJXGiKBg[/YT]

:funny:

Amusing, not hilarious. With all the public shootings lately though, part of me wishes they went with using syrup bottles or something stupid instead of guns.

Early Box Office news. Not doing too well.
'The Heat' sizzles with estimated $40 million weekend

Less than a month after Will Smith’s “After Earth” crashed at the box office, Sony finds itself in another predicament with Roland Emmerich’s “White House Down.”

The $150 million action thriller, starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx, is the studio’s most expensive film of the summer but may debut as poorly as fourth place this weekend with a projected $27 million.

Not only are the early estimates soft for a project Sony bought in a record spec deal for $3 million in 2012, it’s actually worse than this year’s other White House thriller, “Olympus Has Fallen,” which opened to $30.8 million for FilmDistrict on a much smaller budget ($70 million).

Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy’s “The Heat,” meanwhile, is sizzling in second place with approximately $40 million this weekend. The R-rated comedy, produced for $43 million, marks another hit for McCarthy and “Bridesmaids” director Paul Feig.

Still the No. 1 movie, Disney’s “Monsters University” eyes an impressive $50 million this weekend while “World War Z” rounds out the top 3 with $32 million, dropping only 52% week-to-week.

Despite “White House Down’s” mediocre performance, Sony should have a strong late summer push with both the “Grown Ups” and “Smurf"
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/h...hite-house-down-struggling-friday-1200503228/

4th place? Yeesh. Still early though. Ill be surprised if that's how it ends up because it seemed that people were into this. And opening less that Olympus Has Fallen (which was great imo)? Im kinda surprised.

Last edited:
Haven't seen many commercials for this. The Heat is everywhere though (ugh).

Really? Huh. It seemed like every time I turned on the tv Ive seen a commercial for White House Down along with Pacific Rim and The Heat

The Heat was funny, I'm happy for it's success. Melissa Mccarthy is so talented it hurts. It's nice to see more and more female led hits.

A week ago I visited my brother and we talked about films. I mentioned that I wanted to see White House Down because it looked like fun (My sister and I choose The Heat over it this weekend but plan on seeing it whenever) and my brother groaned and said "Eh, I already seen that other movie about the same thing so..." And I said "So you aren't really interested in seeing the same kind of thing?" He nodded "yes." It looks like OHF just beat White House Down to the punch and effectively killed the film before it even had a chance. And it didn't help that WWZ over performed last week. It's going to be a huge disappointment even if it performs decently overseas. Yikes, I was thinking 40mil opening just last week.

Olympus has fallen was the same movie on a 70mill budget on its way to 100mill domestic.this movie cost 150mill and is only getting 27mill this weekend with tatum and fox.i think they should have released this movie during the winter nov-dec area instead of a jammed pack summer

this movie was one of the worst movies ive seen this year and some of the worst cgi too, Olympus has fallen was 100 times better than this

I'm surprised The Heat has done so well, I love Sandy Bullock but it looked like utter garbage from the trailers.

Chicago Sun-Times gave it almost a perfect score shockingly. The Heat, I mean.

I'm surprised The Heat has done so well, I love Sandy Bullock but it looked like utter garbage from the trailers.

Bullock's still a pretty appealing star and people like Melissa McCarthy.

Identity Theft for example was complete and utter garbage, but it was still a big hit.

White House Down looked lame, not surprised its lukewarm on arrival. Olympus Was Fallen looked much better. Basically the new Die Hard movie John Moore couldn't deliver.

Roland Emmerich is pretty hit and miss as a director. Makes a couple hits then makes Godzilla. Rebounds with Day After Tomorrow then makes 10,000. Then he makes 2012.

This movie was a lot of fun. If you went in expecting anything under than a big dumb thrill ride...well...sorry. I was dying when they gave the run down of the villains backgrounds. Hilarious.

7/10

Horrible CGI though as was stated already. Surprising actually that it was so bad.

"Tours over"

Bullock's still a pretty appealing star and people like Melissa McCarthy.

Identity Theft for example was complete and utter garbage, but it was still a big hit.

White House Down looked lame, not surprised its lukewarm on arrival. Olympus Was Fallen looked much better. Basically the new Die Hard movie John Moore couldn't deliver.

Roland Emmerich is pretty hit and miss as a director. Makes a couple hits then makes Godzilla. Rebounds with Day After Tomorrow then makes 10,000. Then he makes 2012.

Yeah, his track record is one of the reasons I decided to go and see the heat instead. Was happy I did. The heat was hilarious.

The trailers weren't funny but neither were the Bridesmaids trailers IMHO. Indenity Thieft opened with 35mil and you are surprised that The Heat is going to do better? I would have been shocked if The Heat opened with a dime under 35mil.

I was actually rooting on WHD because we don't have enough old school action flicks and I liked the cast. 27-30 mil opening ain't going to cut it when your movie cost 150mil. Even if it crawls to 100mil. I predicted 150mil total so shows what I know.

Channing Tatum has had a lot of success but Channing Tatum action star still hasn't quite taken off yet.

The trailers weren't funny but neither were the Bridesmaids trailers IMHO. Indenity Thieft opened with 35mil and you are surprised that The Heat is going to do better? I would have been shocked if The Heat opened with a dime under 35mil.

I was actually rooting on WHD because we don't have enough old school action flicks and I liked the cast. 27-30 mil opening ain't going to cut it when your movie cost 150mil. Even if it crawls to 100mil. I predicted 150mil total so shows what I know.

Channing Tatum has had a lot of success but Channing Tatum action star still hasn't quite taken off yet.

I don't follow the box office so I had no idea what Bridesmaids had made or who the other Lady in this with Sandy is, but even then Bridesmaids did have a much more appealing universal theme than what looked like a terribly lame buddy cop comedy that Goldie Hawn and Bette Midler had passed on two decades ago, so one being a hit didn't mean the other was a surefire thing IMO.

It's a shame because the WHD cast is strong and Tatum has grown on me a lot, but maybe it really was too close in release to the R rated violence version OHF to really attract the audience.

I don't follow the box office so I had no idea what Bridesmaids had made or who the other Lady in this with Sandy is, but even then Bridesmaids did have a much more appealing universal theme than what looked like a terribly lame buddy cop comedy that Goldie Hawn and Bette Midler had passed on two decades ago, so one being a hit didn't mean the other was a surefire thing IMO.

It's a shame because the WHD cast is strong and Tatum has grown on me a lot, but maybe it really was too close in release to the R rated violence version OHF to really attract the audience.
Sounds like you are only surprised at the opening because you didn't investigate and had odd assumptions about two old ladies movies that were before my time. How old are you and why don't you keep up with movie trends if you are a geek under the age of 45 years old? :p

The whole "raunchy bro movie" trend is a huge thing right now and now they are giving women a shot to do their own version of those. As a matter of fact, the movie looked like the R rated female starring version of Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's 2010's "The Other Guys," not a Bette Midler or Kate Hudson's mother comedy. Bridesmaids only opened with 26mil, it's legs are what got it the big numbers so how big was that idea before word of mouth took hold? The opening was good but hardly groundbreaking for such a "universal" idea. The legs made the movie the hit it was. Also Melissa McCarthy has become one of the most popular comedy stars in just a few short years after her break out role in Bridesmaids and just had a hit earlier this year, you should at least remember her name because she is a big reason why the movie did 13.6mil yesterday.

The cop comedy The Other Guys, which teamed up two big stars opened with 35.5mil in 2010 and earlier this year Identity Thief starring McCarthy and Bateman opened with 34.5mil. Bateman is a funny guy but he wasn't the main reason for those numbers. (The Change Up anyone?). In 2009, Sandra Bullock starred in The Proposal which opened with 33.6mil. Now I expect that the audiences for all these comedies overlap. All those movies have something in common. Hot stars+pleasing concept+decent marketing and The Heat has those things. Add in 2012 ticket prices and that equals a 35-40mil opening, it equals at least a 35mil opening weekend.

I was a little surprised by the so-so marketing campaign for WHD. It feels like Sony got too cocky about having Tatum and Foxx in their film since the two men were coming off of big hits and the elephant in the room remains OHF which opened with 30mil and made 98mil total. Snow White and the Huntsman did way better than the first Snow White movie, Mirror Mirror, because Mirror Mirror was a completely different genre, had a terrible set of previews and disappointed. Unfortunately for WHD OHF is not in a completely different genre and it over performed in every way possible so the same situation as last year had less of a chance of playing out. And here we are, a 9mil Friday for WHD in comparision to OHF 10mil. WHD will be lucky to do 25mil over the weekend.

Last edited:
My review is in the sig. Man, I can't wait until Olympus Has Fallen comes out on Blu-ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"