Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Paul Rudd was already in his mid-40's when he started playing Ant-Man.
-Dave Bautista and Vin Diesel were both in their mid to late-40's when they just started playing Drax and Groot.
-Don Cheadle was already in his 40's when he started playing War Machine.
-Chadwick Boseman and Benedict Cumberbatch are both only like a year or so younger than Charlize, and yet they're just starting to play their characters now (Cumberbatch's debut film hasn't even been released yet in fact).
-Jeremy Renner was in his late 30's/early 40's when he started playing Hawkeye (a non-powered hero BTW).
-Ben Affleck is in his mid-40's and he just started playing Batman.
-Etc.

So this argument that Charlize is "too old" to play Captain Marvel, falls flat for me. That argument seems to really only come up when we talk about female characters/actresses it seems.

The following 5 were reaching on your part.

-Rudd and Cheadle play Tech Heroes. They themselves are not the weapon, what they are wearing is. Cheadle is also quite possibly done, as his 4 film contract ended with Civil War.
- Groot is a ****ing CGI Tree Man. Really?
-Drax is a character with an adult daughter, who is a major founding GoTG and a potential future addition to the franchise. If you cast him 30, you'd be severely limiting his story arc.
- Doctor Strange is supposed to have a bit of age to him. He's a character consistently portrayed as middle age +. Again missing the point.

You do have valid points on the other three though.

Though Batfleck's performance was the best thing of BvS, he's an actor they'll have to recast by 2025. That was pretty short sighted in my opinion, and I would've gone with a younger actor, and done the Dark Knight Returns angle in several years.
- Boseman is older, but the way they're barreling through his 5 contracted films (He'll finish filming his fourth movie by the same age Charlize would start filming her second.) It might not matter if he doesn't extend his contract. He could be gone at 44-45, and I would fully support a charlize contract with a similar shooting schedule/ usage. I would just prefer to see a Captain Marvel who is 39-40 in their last film, and not ten years older than that.
- Renner is old. That's fair.

And Carol is supposed to be a seasoned/respected military officer, so casting older would make sense for her as well. So no, I'm not "missing the point" at all, nor are these "caveats" convincing. Carol has superpowers, so her being older should be easier to buy, not harder.

And we already have the two most prominent female superheroes in the MCU who were cast much younger (Scarlett Johansson was in her 20's when she first got the BW role, and Liz Olsen is still in her 20's). This potentially become a trend/habit on Marvel's part (they can cast the guys older, but god forbid they do that for the women because fanboys might complain about it), is an notion that I'm not really keen on seeing.

I think if they keep her around the age of Evans/Stan/Mackie, things will be fine. I would be okay with older than that too. She needs to be able to pass as a respected military officer and as close to being a contemporary of the other main Avengers as possible. If she's closer to age to Elizabeth Olsen, who is treated as the 'kid' of the team, then that would be a mistake.

And Carol is supposed to be a seasoned/respected military officer, so casting older would make sense for her as well. So no, I'm not "missing the point" at all, nor are these "caveats" convincing. Carol has superpowers, so her being older should be easier to buy, not harder.

And we already have the two most prominent female superheroes in the MCU who were cast much younger (Scarlett Johansson was in her 20's when she first got the BW role, and Liz Olsen is still in her 20's). This potentially become a trend/habit on Marvel's part (they can cast the guys older, but god forbid they do that for the women because fanboys might complain about it), is an notion that I'm not really keen on seeing.

http://tfumux.wikia.com/wiki/Average_ages_per_rank_in_US_Military

Average age of a Major by this source: 33. So I'm not seeing how a Woman in her early 30s, with 15 years military experience (Straight out of high school) would be unable to play a seasoned Major. If Carol were a Colonel, or a General, you would have a valid argument. At her established ranking, you don't.

We already have a character, Peggy Carter, who was a major founding member of SHIELD and a top ranking SSR member in her early to mid-20s. Hailey Atwell was 29 when she filmed The First Avenger, and no one saw her as a weak woman incapable of playing a respected military vet.

Despite being the youngest love interest in an MCU movie to date, she's the one who is held in the highest regard, and was so well received she got a spin-off television show.

But yeah, Carol Danvers needs to be played by a 40-something, or else she can't possibly be taken seriously. Bravo.

I think if they keep her around the age of Evans/Stan/Mackie, things will be fine. I would be okay with older than that too. She needs to be able to pass as a respected military officer and as close to being a contemporary of the other main Avengers as possible. If she's closer to age to Elizabeth Olsen, who is treated as the 'kid' of the team, then that would be a mistake.

Has anyone said they wanted an Elizabeth Olsen age actress? All I see is people freaking out because some posters don't want a 40 something.

I'd like someone who is contemporary to the bulk of the cast. Evans, Hemsworth, Johansson, VanCamp. A birth year between 1980-1987 is optimal. Chris Evans was born in 1981, and has basically playing the head of the entire superhero community for the last 3 years. I don't see how being a fairly high ranking military officer outweighs that role.

They needed to cast young for SW bc she and her brother were meant to be teenagers that were originally captured and experimented. An older actress wouldnt have worked for the story they were telling. Heck Aaron, who played her twin was younger than Olsen by 2 years. They could have gone older with BW for sure, but she doesnt age at the same rate as most humans so having an actress in her late 20s play a role thats 70+ works

FYI, EL was mid 30s when cast as Hope, so its not like they are only looking at 20 somethings to play their female heroines. Ditto on Saldana as Gamora

They needed to cast young for SW bc she and her brother were meant to be teenagers that were originally captured and experimented. An older actress wouldnt have worked for the story they were telling. Heck Aaron, who played her twin was younger than Olsen by 2 years. They could have gone older with BW for sure, but she doesnt age at the same rate as most humans so having an actress in her late 20s play a role thats 70+ works

FYI, EL was mid 30s when cast as Hope, so its not like they are only looking at 20 somethings to play their female heroines. Ditto on Saldana as Gamora

There's also a difference between being 37, and being nearly 44 when your first movie comes out.

well this thread got ugly real quick

Jane Fonda for Carol!
lol

Last edited:
There's also a difference between being 37, and being nearly 44 when your first movie comes out.

Okay? I dont get what your point is. I know that which is why I dont support wanting an actress that will be 44

So, long as the actress is at least in herearly 30s, then I'm happy. The ability of the actress to remain in their peak physical shape over a ten year period is not something that should be ignored.

Here, Hugh Jackman talks about how much more difficult it is to maintain superhero shape at age 45 than at age 30:

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/blogs/hugh-jackman-on-the-difficulty-of-keeping-his-wolverine-physique

Blunt(32) or Strahovski(33) would probably be the ideal age range to play Captain Marvel.

And yet there are people who do it regularly.

And yet there are people who do it regularly.

Really? Like who? Hugh Jackman has been Wolverine since 2001. There's really no one else that compares. That's 15 years right there.

Basically if the dude is older it doesn't matter, that's the long and short of it.

That is what is being said and I flat out do not respect that opinion because it's not a respectable opinion. These people don't even have an explaination on why Paul Rudd isn't too old to play Ant-Man. I mean the guy is within spitting distance of 50 and just started his Superhero career. But it's okay because penis.

When I say stuff like that (and sometimes I do), it doesn't mean I agree with it. What it means is there is a double standard when it comes to age along gender lines. If a guy is in his mid-forties (or so), he's distinguished and knows the ways of the world. If a woman is in the same age range, she's getting long in the tooth. Yeah, sure....it's hogwash and a societal construct. If Theron is cast, she'll be awesome and by the end of IW2, she's going to look a lot better than any of us.

Marvel seems to make the right choices so I'm not going to worry about it. Charlize is drop dead gorgeous. In the movie industry, that's what's called an advantage. That she's a terrific actor is (a lot of) icing on the cake.

I just want to reiterate that I'm not saying that Theron should or will be cast. I'm convinced that Marvel is going to be hard pressed to shell out 10-15 million to get her when they can just get a buzzy good actress who doesn't cost that much. Let's be honest the Marvel name sells these films for the most part, brands are the biggest movie stars of the 2010's. My only point is 38 to 40-something *insert actress here* shouldn't be disqualified from playing a superhero as long as she can look and act the part anymore than a male actor should be disqualified. I don't mind Renner or Rudd or Boseman's ages, at all.

http://tfumux.wikia.com/wiki/Average_ages_per_rank_in_US_Military

Average age of a Major by this source: 33. So I'm not seeing how a Woman in her early 30s, with 15 years military experience (Straight out of high school) would be unable to play a seasoned Major. If Carol were a Colonel, or a General, you would have a valid argument. At her established ranking, you don't.

We already have a character, Peggy Carter, who was a major founding member of SHIELD and a top ranking SSR member in her early to mid-20s. Hailey Atwell was 29 when she filmed The First Avenger, and no one saw her as a weak woman incapable of playing a respected military vet.

Despite being the youngest love interest in an MCU movie to date, she's the one who is held in the highest regard, and was so well received she got a spin-off television show.

But yeah, Carol Danvers needs to be played by a 40-something, or else she can't possibly be taken seriously. Bravo.

Yeah, that's the average age, which means a faster rise through the ranks can be younger as Carol's rise was. I still wouldn't go below 30, though, but fortunately my desired younger choice made the cut two months ago.

Strahovski is the perfect age to play Carol and has all the qualities needed.

That's the problem with having so few female-lead action/sci-fi/fantasy films. That when you finally set out to do one, you have to make all the right calls or someone gets upset (and sometimes, that's for the better. If you're doing a good job, some people should get upset).

Not old enough, double standards! (which is... kind of true actually.)
Not young enough, she dead, think of the sequels!
Not enough of a good role model, you pig, I'm telling Tumblr, and get off Twitter!
Too much of a good role model, Mary Sue, SJWs, feminizm! What about the men?
Not enough money, women don't sell, now let me snort my coke in peace.

Eh, sorry for the rant. MS, just give me a good movie starring Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel, saying funny stuff in that cool a** costume of hers while beating the heck out of the bad guys, and played by a 30/40-something actress. Possibly Emily Blunt. :o

Last edited:
Strahovski is the perfect age to play Carol and has all the qualities needed.

I actually think she could do it with the right script. Actors break out and surprise you all the time. Ivani certainly doesn't have the resume' of a Theron, Blunt, Winslet, etc., but you never know what will happen if someone is given a chance. I have more faith in someone like Chastain's range as an actor, but am not going to argue with Marvel no matter who they cast.

It's kind of sick that I'm so jacked, so early for the big KABOOM.....heck, the possibility of Carol being in IW1 has me totally stoked. The wait.....uggghhhhh.....

I actually think she could do it with the right script. Actors break out and surprise you all the time. Ivani certainly doesn't have the resume' of a Theron, Blunt, Winslet, etc., but you never know what will happen if someone is given a chance. I have more faith in someone like Chastain's range as an actor, but am not going to argue with Marvel no matter who they cast.

It's kind of sick that I'm so jacked, so early for the big KABOOM.....heck, the possibility of Carol being in IW1 has me totally stoked. The wait.....uggghhhhh.....

Exactly. Who knew Tom Holland would crush it like he did?

Holland had a major role in an oscar nominated movie and was nominated for awards for his performance. If they were going for a young actor, he certainly fit the type Marvel would go for.

after finally watching vikings i am fully in support of katheryn winnick my god she is so good she can be sexy and bad ass at the same time

Holland had a major role in an oscar nominated movie and was nominated for awards for his performance. If they were going for a young actor, he certainly fit the type Marvel would go for.

His previous roles didn't have the level of humor he seemed to have no problem with here, though.

after finally watching vikings i am fully in support of katheryn winnick my god she is so good she can be sexy and bad ass at the same time

I guess I'm going to have to get past season 1 of Vikings. I tried and couldn't do it. I was expecting a lot from Winnick (having read about her on this thread), but she just didn't do it for me. In terms of their charm, charisma, or whatever you call it, I just thought Yvonne had so much more. To be fair, she was playing a very different character in Chuck.

I thought he did quite well also. I'm looking forward to his solo movie. I thought he played SM quite a lot along the lines of Tobey, but with a little more free flowing humor.

^you should finish it ,i have never been impressed by Yvonne i thought she was awful in dexter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"