Will the Trailer/Teaser sneak up on us

I think Universal and Marvel are taking the same approach WB did with Batman Begins. Which is to say, they're being a little low-key with this film to avoid as much comparison to the previous film as possible.

Universal and Marvel want this film to be a "pleasant surprise" to general audiences. In the process it will put the character back in good graces with the general audiences and setup an even bigger/grander sequel.

In other words, I wouldn't expect this film to get the big anticipated blockbuster treatment the previous film got.

My two cents...

wel whatever the thinking behind the strategy is, it is more probable that the marketing will be done late and probably more all at once. Whether it was the way to go or not will be judged by the revenue the movie generates.

I think Universal and Marvel are taking the same approach WB did with Batman Begins. Which is to say, they're being a little low-key with this film to avoid as much comparison to the previous film as possible.

Universal and Marvel want this film to be a "pleasant surprise" to general audiences. In the process it will put the character back in good graces with the general audiences and setup an even bigger/grander sequel.

In other words, I wouldn't expect this film to get the big anticipated blockbuster treatment the previous film got.

My two cents...

That makes sense but at the same time it doesn't. Ya know what I mean? Anyways, I'm not a marketing expert but I do think they really need to get the ball rolling soon.

I know this has been beaten to death by others, but perhaps it is just a measured approach that purposely differs from the first go-round where they had a teaser a year in advance and a superbowl ad, etc.

Plus, perhaps the "late hit/fresh in their minds" approach is a good one. I can see the logic.

That being said, I want to see a friggin' trailer so bad I can taste it. lol

That makes sense but at the same time it doesn't. Ya know what I mean? Anyways, I'm not a marketing expert but I do think they really need to get the ball rolling soon.

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. It's the Hulk afterall and we all expect/want to see something of blockbuster potential. We also expect such a grandiose property to be handled marketing wise in a big blockbuster way.

If anything, what I find lightly disturbing is that they haven't really shown the fans anything--throw us a bone for god's sake. Then again, any picture of the new Hulk design would be all over the net in short order--lessening the surprise factor and worse, causing Joe and Jane Casual to quite possibly judge the film based on the image alone.

My two cents...
WB had a lot of promotion for BB.

its true.

If anything, what I find lightly disturbing is that they haven't really shown the fans anything--throw us a bone for god's sake. Then again, any picture of the new Hulk design would be all over the net in short order--lessening the surprise factor and worse, causing Joe and Jane Casual to quite possibly judge the film based on the image alone.

Not as many 'casuals' browse news sites for photos like that though. I feel like the only person I know who knows about a movie before a trailer is released, and I'm sure a lot of people here feel similar.

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. It's the Hulk afterall and we all expect/want to see something of blockbuster potential. We also expect such a grandiose property to be handled marketing wise in a big blockbuster way.

The key word is SOMETHING. I know they want it to be right (finished CGI) but we've heard something maybe by Thanks Giving then Chirstmas. Super Bowl was just a fan rumor but it would have been nice to see something. At least let us know when we shold be looking for stuff.

They have to make it clear that this is not a sequal to Angs movie so Joe and Jane might take an interest. AD said we'd get something in February. He's been on so far.

WB had a lot of promotion for BB.

its true.

I didn't really get that feeling. The previous Hulk and Batman films and SM had marketing up the wazoo. Jeez you could only go so far without seeing them either in some store or on the street or on TV.

I must have been out the loop for BB.

I didn't really get that feeling. The previous Hulk and Batman films and SM had marketing up the wazoo. Jeez you could only go so far without seeing them either in some store or on the street or on TV.

I must have been out the loop for BB.
-teaser trailer =summer
-trailer = december
-2004 already one or two poster.
-superbowl spot
-2 or 3 tc spots in march
-april = final trailer
-tons of posters
-10 tv spots
-banners

it didnt have the best marketing but it promoted the movie. and in 2004 at this time it already had two traielr,superbowl spot and a poster

your turn :whatever:

^^ That is pretty telling. If I was not on these boards, I would have no idea there was a new Hulk movie coming on, and somehow I do not see that as being a good thing.

So like...is this movie still happening or...what?

Lol.

:cwink:

-teaser trailer =summer
-trailer = december
-superbowl spot
-april = final trailer
-tons of posters
-10 tv spots
-banners

it didnt have the best marketing but it promoted the movie. and in 2004 at this time it already had two traielr,superbowl spot and a poster

Okay, heres "my turn" as that seems to be one of your favorite phrases lately. :whatever:

I was "the general audience" when BB was out. I never frequented these boards.

The ONLY time I saw ANYTHING for the film was a month in advanced. Never saw a teaser, only saw the final trailer and several tv spots.

I thought it was going to suck. I went anyway.

That, theater was EMPTY. It was me, my father, and several other people. Most likely the aftermath of Batman and Robin.

But I hear the film generated a good profit due to whats the phrase ladies and gentlemen? Word of mouth let's see if it's up on the board!! 37! Wow it was our number one answer...

Want to pass or play?:oldrazz:

Edit: All I am trying to get across is... many of you have no idea what it's like to be in the general audience anymore. No body in their right mind who frequents movies sees a teaser 5 months in advanced and CONTINUES TO REMEMBER UNTIL RELEASE....that just us! Thats how we operate... we're part of "The Hype" It's our civic duty to nit pick at every piece of marketing... guess what though? When you are a simple bystander in the general population most 8 times out of 10.. you simply, don't care. It all floats by you.

I mean seriously, did you see kids and their mothers waiting around for Teasers of Wall.E? Do you really think they are going to think about the trailers they have seen up until it releases? No, but guaranteed the month before the film comes out will be the most important time to hook them in.

I'm kind of digging Marvel's tactics now. Let's face it, there are a buttload of cool / highly-anticipated movies coming at us this year. If Marvel shoots their advertising wad early, the trailer could get lost in the shuffle of all the other pre-hyping going on for the numerous other "big" movies which will be crowding into the local multiplexes.

If Marvel focuses on one film at a time, and pounds on it in the weeks leading up to the debut, then it will stay fresh in the average ticket-buyer's mind. These people are the ones who need the overwhelming hard sell. We Hulk fans have known about this forever and really need our 'fix' to keep us high in this film. However, Joe Sixpack will have a hard time separating the surge of trailers and hype sure to hit TV and movie screens in the next few months. Why waste a big chunk of money early on, only to have it fade from the public conscious shortly after popping up? People have short attention spans. Better to wait until the final stretch... and then bludgeon them with advertising of every kind.

And like many here have said, I agree that I would rather wait longer for a polished VFX-laced clip than some rough-looking slapdash thing that would likely just make the general public roll their eyes and start up with the "Shrek" jokes again. I think THAT would hurt TIH's chances for B.O. success far more than a trailer that bows a little later than we rabid fans would like but just blows everyone away.

Wow.
Fantastic, well-thought out post.
You have no business being here.
Get out.
Now.

:D

-teaser trailer =summer
-trailer = december
-superbowl spot
-april = final trailer
-tons of posters
-10 tv spots
-banners

Like I said, I must have been out of the loop for BB.

Okay, heres "my turn" as that seems to be one of your favorite phrases lately. :whatever:

The ONLY time I saw ANYTHING for the film was a month in advanced. Never saw a teaser, only saw the final trailer and several tv spots.

That, theater was EMPTY. It was me, my father, and several other people. Most likely the aftermath of Batman and Robin.

But I hear the film generated a good profit due to whats the phrase ladies and gentlemen? Word of mouth let's see if it's up on the board!! 37! Wow it was our number one answer...

Want to pass or play?:oldrazz:

Edit: All I am trying to get across is... many of you have no idea what it's like to be in the general audience anymore. No body in their right mind who frequents movies sees a teaser 5 months in advanced and CONTINUES TO REMEMBER UNTIL RELEASE....that just us! Thats how we operate... we're part of "The Hype" It's our civic duty to nit pick at every piece of marketing... guess what though? When you are a simple bystander in the general population most 8 times out of 10.. you simply, don't care. It all floats by you.

I mean seriously, did you see kids and their mothers waiting around for Teasers of Wall.E? Do you really think they are going to think about the trailers they have seen up until it releases? No, but guaranteed the month before the film comes out will be the most important time to hook them in.
hey i dont care what you saw.
i saw a lot of promotion for BB.it was not like spider-man. but it was there.
and it was a lot bigger at this time then IH.

hey i dont care what you saw.
i saw a lot of promotion for BB.it was not like spider-man. but it was there.
and it was a lot bigger at this time then IH.

You don't care what general audiences saw?

Well at least you admit you look over the most obvious group that generates profits for these films.

This movie does not need a trailer.
The trailer will mean nothing if they don't address the issue of the last film in their minds.

Everyone is over looking the obvious.
They need INTERVIEWS.

They need people like Norton to go on Conan, to go on Letterman, to go on big name talk shows, to spread the word of the difference of this film.

The last thing they need is a trailer. Even the last movies trailer looked action packed and awesome. It was misleading, people may think this new trailer is misleading as well.

because they show interviews in the theaters before movies right?

They need people like Norton to go on Conan, to go on Letterman, to go on big name talk shows, to spread the word of the difference of this film.

The last thing they need is a trailer. Even the last movies trailer looked action packed and awesome. It was misleading, people may think this new trailer is misleading as well.

Don't they ususally go on those show with a trailer in hand?

because they show interviews in the theaters before movies right?

Because TV Spots are in movies right?

My god you logic keeps failing.

Fact: People spend more time watching TV than in movie theaters.
Fact: Many people watch entertainment shows for their movie news.
Fact: Interviews WILL be the only way to save this film.

The trailer for FF2 looked pretty cool to everyone I saw, did it save the film? Haha... no. That movie was promoted out the ying yang, and no one went to see. They all assumed it would be crappy just like the previous, and though I found it... alright, they were right.

They need to separate this film. BB didn't do it, and it paid for it in the theaters. It wasn't until people saw it was vastly different did others start to go.

Don't they ususally go on those show with a trailer in hand?

Yep, but do they do interviews 4 months in advance? Not really. Edit: Except certain films... (I'm looking at you TDK and SM3) But they already have a big hype around them.

By the time they are on these shows (if they even do go on) they will have clips / a trailer.

The movie is NOT going to release without a trailer.

Like I said, I must have been out of the loop for BB.

ditto

Ditto. All of it. My going to BB was practically a covert operation. In fact, it was my best friend's idea to go at all as a birthday gift on him/his wallet. When I got there, I was pleasantly surprised to see both a.) a row-full of friends who'd been invited without me knowing and b.) a movie that actually impressed.

Amen brother.

--

I still think TIH is in great shape. Think about it. We expected a trailer by Thanksgiving, I Am Legend, Christmas, Cloverfield and last night's Super Bowl, and here we are. We ain't left yet and neither has the movie. To put it in laymen's terms, TIH has taken on all our expectations, failed them and still endured. And we're just the fanboys.

I'm excited. I legitimately am. Iron Man is going to be awesome, and we will most certainly see the Hulk by then. It'll have revolutionized the way movies are marketed when all is said and done IMO. Trend-setting, if you will. Hollywood will take a nice hard look at it and realize not everything has to be cookie-cutter. What better movie to teach that lesson than our own beloved Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"